Shenmue voted #1 in "Top 200 Dreamcast Games 2016"

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue voted #1 in "Top 200 Dreamcast Games 2016"

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:18 am

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2016/11/the-top-200-dreamcast-games-2016-as.html

Was it ever in doubt? Not really. A clear margin of victory, more than double the number of 'best overall game' votes (and that was to it's own sequel - it received triple the number that 3rd placed JSR received) and for the 3rd DCJY best games list, Yu Suzuki's masterpiece is a deserved winner. There's been so much said about this game, so much love and passion from it's loyal fan base, that it's hard to describe the game without simply getting a bit emotional. A beautifully realised vision of mid 80's Japan, intricate, highly detailed environments with graphics that were nothing less than mind blowing at the time, an adventure that felt truly epic, with a classic tale of vengeance and redemption. Yu Suzuki is a gaming genius, and there are so many little touches in the game - from playing classic titles in the Arcades, an out-of-time Saturn to play at home (and versions of the Arcade games to win), motorbike section, fighting system, forklift racing...there's a reason the game was the most expensive ever made, and it can be seen in the incredible attention to detail. The music is just incredible, the game is emotionally touching (yes, even with the slightly wooden voice acting of the western releases), and whilst there are plenty who don't 'get' the game, for many, it transcends the medium. How many people gained an interest in Japanese culture from playing this game? I can think of few other games where the words 'emotionally impacted' are said more, when describing Shenmue. It defines the DC more than any other game, and the memories it invokes in so many..well...I'll just leave some of them here:

Daniel Quince: "...Sat in my tiny caravan bedroom lost in a great story, back in a great time. Sometimes I would just let days pass me by either playing in the arcade, practising Karate or chatting up the terrible voice acted girls... Them's were the days!"

Bridger: "There was nothing like it at the time. You could take your time and explore every area and see the time and detail that was put into every minute of the game..."

James Wakefield: "I know it's an obvious one, but it's the reason I bought a Dreamcast when I was a kid."

Richard Troupe: "Shenmue was a truly revolutionary gaming experience....Shenmue still manages to marvel and astound with its never before seen attention to detail, beautiful soundtrack and stunning atmosphere."

Jonathan: "It was the first time I felt an emotional connection to a game. The story is so deep and the characters are so well developed."

Cameron Allen: "The most engaging video game I have ever experienced.... my wife who does not play video games sat next to me for a complete play through of Shenmue, utterly entranced by the story and characters. With it's time appropriate accuracy and wildly unique feeling I am yet to play a game that matches it's atmosphere."

Mathew: "A game beyond awesome, it really broke me from turn based RPG's and opened my mind to a ton of other games I love today."

Ted: "This is a game that resonated with me deeply. It was a revolutionary game for the time and still holds up well as not only a genre defining game - but as a definition of a new type of media..."

Nicolas Oberlé: "This game allowed me to discover Japan 5 years before my first trip to the country."

Rico Tyrell: "On a personal level, this game started me on my journey to becoming a game programmer..."

Dan Glosier: "It strives to develop a story in a fully imagined world without relying on pure action to keep the player entertained."

Matthew Smith: "Of all the video games that I've ever played, no game more than Shenmue has made me feel like I was visiting a real place. The setting, the music, the character design and the focus on your exploration of everything from the town to your closets make it an unforgettable experience."

Chris: "Shenmue introduced me to not only the wonderful world of the Sega Dreamcast but also the simple joys of exploring a small Japanese town, which subsequently has fueled my love for both video games and Japanese culture ever since."

James Brown: "The single greatest video game that affected m physically and emotionally. Completed it roughly 30+ times...always have slightly different experiences each playthrough..."

Neat!

ShenGCH has received 3 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Mr357, sand4fish
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue voted #1 in "Top 200 Dreamcast Games 2016"

Postby sand4fish » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:16 pm

In the favlist.com Shenmue 3 has been in the number 1 spot for more than a year in the most anticipated games category.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Shenmue voted #1 in "Top 200 Dreamcast Games 2016"

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:45 am

sand4fish wrote: Image

In the favlist.com Shenmue 3 has been in the number 1 spot for more than a year in the most anticipated games category.

It's crazy that it towers over titles such as TLoZ: Breath of the Wild, Final Fantasy VII remake, Red Dead Redemption 2, and even friggin' Half-Life 3.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue