No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm honestly surprised to see so many Shenmue fans so disappointed. I thought Shenmue fans were used to disappointment by now. ;-)
At least we're getting the game...that's all I care about. The less the game gets spoiled the better.

Henry Spencer has received 4 thanks from: Anonymous81, sand4fish, SheepheadCG, SledgeNE
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby shredingskin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:36 pm

There are amazing tools today to make a low budget great looking game (if you don't go with the AAA mentality of doing everything from a scratch).

Everything we've seen to date looks like YS is doing fine and the project is steadily advancing.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby sand4fish » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: I'm honestly surprised to see so many Shenmue fans so disappointed. I thought Shenmue fans were used to disappointment by now. ;-)
At least we're getting the game...that's all I care about. The less the game gets spoiled the better.

I'm more surprised at the fact that some are even willing to threaten to bring the development team under a negative spotlight for the rest of the gaming media because they are being, at the moment, denied of seeing a footage that some backers paid like, I don't know, $10,000 to have that privilege.

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Can we just erase from our memories the PSX and move on ? XD
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ChiefNeo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:19 pm

sand4fish wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: I'm honestly surprised to see so many Shenmue fans so disappointed. I thought Shenmue fans were used to disappointment by now. ;-)

I'm more surprised at the fact that some are even willing to threaten to bring the development team under a negative spotlight for the rest of the gaming media because they are being, at the moment, denied of seeing a footage that some backers paid like, I don't know, $10,000 to have that privilege.

EXACTLY. Wtf is wrong with these people??
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby sand4fish » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:20 pm

shredingskin wrote: Can we just erase from our memories the PSX and move on ? XD

Unfortunately history will repeat itself when the next big event comes around. Probably it's better to lay all the cards on the table right now. If people could frame it to their minds that comparing the marketing done by giants like Capcom or Square-Enix to Ynet makes no sense at all, these arguments would simply disappear. If Shenmue 3 appears at all at a E3 in the big stage, that would be a miracle, and fans should be way more than thankful for it. You would understand that with a quick look at the history of Kickstarter projects. Because Shenmue 3 is a KICKSTARTER, and not a game made by Sony, Sega or Capcom. If people really keep insisting on the team to focus constantly on making trailers and promoting the game on events (instead of focusing most, if not all, efforts on the game development) there is a serious chance that this game will drag even more and run out of money in the process. This is no joke as it happened to countless Kickstarter game projects before.

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:38 pm

sand4fish wrote:

That's an over simplification. I said I would definitely contact the media if it's not at E3 2017 and we haven't had a substantial update on the game development. If we get an update on game development this month, then that's grand. I won't contact the media because they will have shown something. Has little to do with 10k backers. If they haven't shown anything substantial before or during E3 2017, I think it'd be perfectly fine that they come under fire. Being honest though, I don't think I'd need to contact the media if it's not E3. That story writes itself honestly, and by then I will not be the only fan or backer curious about what's going on. Trust me if nothing is shown before or during E3 a lot of people are going to be wondering "where's Shenmue?" and if you think I'm alone on that, you're an utter fool.

sand4fish wrote:
shredingskin wrote: Can we just erase from our memories the PSX and move on ? XD

Unfortunately history will repeat itself when the next big event comes around. Probably it's better to lay all the cards on the table right now. If people could frame it to their minds that comparing the marketing done by giants like Capcom or Square-Enix to Ynet makes no sense at all, these arguments would simply disappear. If Shenmue 3 appears at all at a E3 in the big stage, that would be a miracle, and fans should be way more than thankful for it. You would understand that with a quick look at the history of Kickstarter projects. Because Shenmue 3 is a KICKSTARTER, and not a game made by Sony, Sega or Capcom. If people really keep insisting on the team to focus constantly on making trailers and promoting the game on events (instead of focusing most, if not all, efforts on the game development) there is a serious chance that this game will drag even more and run out of money in the process. This is no joke as it happened to countless Kickstarter game projects before.

The game debuted minutes after FFVIIr so you will have a hard time convincing people of this. It might even be true. But people will remember that it debuted alongside FFVII and think it deserves to share the same space. Furthermore, lots of games that aren't big budget get screen time at E3. At PSX, Sony played a Gravity Rush trailer and a trailer for Ys. Those games are niche as niche can be. So telling people that Shenmue III would be lucky to be on the same stage as that isn't going to fly with most people, least of all me.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kintor » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:24 pm

Himuro wrote: That's an over simplification. I said I would definitely contact the media if it's not at E3 2017 and we haven't had a substantial update on the game development. If we get an update on game development this month, then that's grand. I won't contact the media because they will have shown something. Has little to do with 10k backers. If they haven't shown anything substantial before or during E3 2017, I think it'd be perfectly fine that they come under fire. Being honest though, I don't think I'd need to contact the media if it's not E3. That story writes itself honestly, and by then I will not be the only fan or backer curious about what's going on. Trust me if nothing is shown before or during E3 a lot of people are going to be wondering "where's Shenmue?" and if you think I'm alone on that, you're an utter fool.

A lot of people are upset that Shenmue 3 wasn't at PSX but make no mistake you're the only one threatening to get the media involved because you're unhappy. You must realise that the Shenmue fanbase has an antagonistic relationship with the media, especially after all the clickbait articles written to attack Shenmue 3 during the initial Kickstarter campaign. There are those in the gaming media openly hostile to Shenmue and I'm sure many of them would be more than happy to write another hit piece at your suggestion. However, realise that in doing so you would be directly undermining the years spent promoting the idea of Shenmue 3 as a viable game in today's industry.

Of course, if you really want to throw your lot in with the media then there is little any of us can do to stop you. Just understand that although the ensuing chaos might make you feel better you still probably won't get what you want. Yu Suzuki and his team will reveal new information when they are ready, not before, and no threats of public humiliation will hasten the development process. At best you will cause a temporary controversy, as many in the Shenmue fanbase already choose to ignore those media outlets which have previously scorned Shenmue 3. Assuming of course you find anyone in the media that's willing to listen to what you have to say.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Axm
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:29 pm

You keep acting like it's set in stone. I'm saving it for worst case scenario. I have a feeling they'll have something to show. I'm not really expecting to do it, but I will if I have to. I'm hoping I don't.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Yes, bad press is what the game needs.

It'll not only not serve for anything, but actually hurt (but Himuro will have a fucking trailer I guess).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:39 pm

If they haven't shown anything before and during E3 then I mean, it's on their inaction to show the fruits of their labor that has the sum of nearly 7 million dollars over of 70k people's hopes. The fact that they'd not show anything before or during E3 despite those numbers is begging for bad press anyways. Also, this has more to do with the trailer and more to do with what they're doing with peoples money if they have managed to miss two E3's in a row. Concern for the status of the development would legitimate, especially with a supposed December 2017 release date.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:56 pm

Himuro wrote: what they're doing with peoples money if they have managed to miss two E3's in a row. Concern for the status of the development would legitimate, especially with a supposed December 2017 release date.

They're making a game, it's hard stuff. I answered your question.

I don't think we should expect a 2017 release, that's almost 1 year of full development for a game that contains various gameplay mechanics, voice acting, quite a good ammount of animation and assets.

Probably bad press is going to make the developers go "well, we have been having vacations on thailand for almost a year, but I guess we should start working on the game".

Really, just look at what other people that have backed game KSs are saying. Pretty much none of them have a per month update, even if you don't think it's meaty enough.

Most of game development is shitty time consuming menial jobs. What do you want ? A video of a guy spending 3 weeks optimizing mocap animations ? A guy looking at why the colliders aren't working ? Tweaking a material for a couple of hours ? Waiting a fucking day to bake the lighting on a map ?

We had an update about the game with in-development footage only 2 months ago ! Really, that's far more than most KS games share at this development stage.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Sending a polite message via KS yields great results, it seems:

Thank you very much for your candor. We will certainly be doing our best to keep everyone interested and in faith.

There should be something in terms of screen shots coming up this month.

Please keep your hopes up! This is a long process, but please trust Yu-san and everyone else involved has Shenmue's best interests at heart!

All our best,
Joel & the Shenmue III Team

Keep expectations in check, don't expect anything huge, yadda yadda, etc etc

Spaghetti has received 7 thanks from: Axm, ChiefNeo, Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty, SledgeNE, Switch, Yokosuka
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ChiefNeo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Himuro wrote: If they haven't shown anything before and during E3 then I mean, it's on their inaction to show the fruits of their labor that has the sum of nearly 7 million dollars over of 70k people's hopes. The fact that they'd not show anything before or during E3 despite those numbers is begging for bad press anyways. Also, this has more to do with the trailer and more to do with what they're doing with peoples money if they have managed to miss two E3's in a row. Concern for the status of the development would legitimate, especially with a supposed December 2017 release date.

Shut up about the same baseless crap. You've posted the exact same thing over and over again.

We get it, you think they owe you information. You think you need to be kept up to speed. You are a child that will go crying to some website if you don't get what you want. We get it.

Don't call yourself a devoted shenmue fan though because you are not if you act like this. Nobody is holding you at gunpoint to do the idiotic things you are suggesting. Nobody forced you to swallow possibility as fact, and then to lash out.

Until Suzuki says the game can be shown, it can't. Regardless of your opinion. Until Suzuki says the game is in trouble, it ISNT, regardless of YOUR OPINION. Until the game misses it's December release date, it HASNT. Stop your pretentious whining because you do not understand how any of this (kickstarter, game development) works.
ChiefNeo

Postby Himuro » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:04 pm

shredingskin wrote:
Himuro wrote: what they're doing with peoples money if they have managed to miss two E3's in a row. Concern for the status of the development would legitimate, especially with a supposed December 2017 release date.

They're making a game, it's hard stuff. I answered your question.

I don't think we should expect a 2017 release, that's almost 1 year of full development for a game that contains various gameplay mechanics, voice acting, quite a good ammount of animation and assets.

Probably bad press is going to make the developers go "well, we have been having vacations on thailand for almost a year, but I guess we should start working on the game".

Really, just look at what other people that have backed game KSs are saying. Pretty much none of them have a per month update, even if you don't think it's meaty enough.

Most of game development is shitty time consuming menial jobs. What do you want ? A video of a guy spending 3 weeks optimizing mocap animations ? A guy looking at why the colliders aren't working ? Tweaking a material for a couple of hours ? Waiting a fucking day to bake the lighting on a map ?

We had an update about the game with in-development footage only 2 months ago ! Really, that's far more than most KS games share at this development stage.

I know making a game is hard. But I do think two years without a substantial update sends red flags. If you look up my post history you'll see I don't even expect this to make it to the December release date and consider it a formality at best. However, I do think a game of this size with as many eyeballs it has on it needs to have a substantial update before or during E3. I find this to be fairly reasonable especially given we already know they have the footage. I'm sorry but if they are willing to keep so many people in the dark on the games development status after twwwwo years (come this E3) then they have set a date with their maker. Not only because of the amount of support it has from the amount of backers, but also in regards to securing more funding and impressing their current business partners.

Sandfish said I want constant promotion. I really don't. I just want an update on the game and do not find the recent updates satisfactory. I do expect to see an update before E3, but if they don't have one as the OP of this thread surmises, then they have left their hands to fate.

I find my position fairly logical and reasonable. Certainly, after having the support of over 70k people world wide, Yu and his team would agree that not having an big update on how the project is going before or during E3 would be unacceptable. Only a complete fanboy would argue otherwise.

ChiefNeo wrote:
Himuro wrote: If they haven't shown anything before and during E3 then I mean, it's on their inaction to show the fruits of their labor that has the sum of nearly 7 million dollars over of 70k people's hopes. The fact that they'd not show anything before or during E3 despite those numbers is begging for bad press anyways. Also, this has more to do with the trailer and more to do with what they're doing with peoples money if they have managed to miss two E3's in a row. Concern for the status of the development would legitimate, especially with a supposed December 2017 release date.

Shut up about the same baseless crap. You've posted the exact same thing over and over again.

We get it, you think they owe you information. You think you need to be kept up to speed. You are a child that will go crying to some website if you don't get what you want. We get it.

Don't call yourself a devoted shenmue fan though because you are not if you act like this. Nobody is holding you at gunpoint to do the idiotic things you are suggesting. Nobody forced you to swallow possibility as fact, and then to lash out.

Until Suzuki says the game can be shown, it can't. Regardless of your opinion. Until Suzuki says the game is in trouble, it ISNT, regardless of YOUR OPINION. Until the game misses it's December release date, it HASNT. Stop your pretentious whining because you do not understand how any of this (kickstarter, game development) works.

Calm down. You're whining more than me. You say I've been saying the same thing over and over but so have other people. The entire discussion is circular and no one is budging an inch. You're certainly not making your case by insulting me. Calling me immature after making a post like that sure is rich. Shut up about the same baseless crap? What do you want me to do? As long as this argument continues I will still argue this "baseless crap".
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III