No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

Postby ShenSun » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:26 am

i thought id make this topic to add my personal perspective on the Shenmue 3 situation. I'll start off by saying this.

There will be no Shenmue 3 until E3 2017!!

I say, Don't expect it, dont build any false hype, dont buy in to teases from the team, media, producers, Sony, Sega, dont expect any major KS updates, etc etc.

I've invested about $5000 now into the project and if im being honest, i wasn't expecting Shenmue 3 to be at PSX at all. Now granted, the teases from Cedric were indeed misleading and i can see why people were anticipating it, but look, the PlayStation 4 has so much varied content and there are games right now that deserve more exposure and coverage than shenmue 3 at this point in time.

Off the top of my head, Sony have to continue to push support for

Resident Evil 7
Horizon
Last Guardian
Uncharted 4
Street fighter 5
Gran Turismo
Nioh
Snk titles
Gravity Rush 2
Danganronpa
Yakuza
VR
Playstation classic / PSN
etc
etc

These games are near complete/completed, released/near release and need much more exposure, marketing and support than shenmue right now.........especially the last guardian......

Games like the last of us, which i really do enjoy, but also believe is overrated is a much bigger mainstream attraction than Shenmue 3, so it makes sense to show it.

I think we shouldn't expect anything significant from the KS updates. This isnt a typical KS, it has major investors behind it, mainly SONY & their 3rd party production team. We are only gonna get snippets from the team until SONY decide to show it off properly, and even then, im pretty sure Ys net will only release screenshots and short videos. All the major reveals will be through SONY when the time is right.

Final Fantasy 7 wasn't even shown at PSX. Then again, if i was square, i wouldn't show that off as id want all the attention to stay on Final fantasy 15 for as long as possible. Likewise with sony, lets focus on the current spotlight of games and then move on to the next batch. The next batch presumably has Shenmue.

My prediction is still that Shenmue 3 will be revealed properly at E3 2017, along with an instant release of Shenmue HD a. It makes the most sense. From there on, continuous exposure until release.

Those who are constantly saying "Im an investor. I want real updates, etc etc". As i said before, this isnt a typical KS, so dont expect anything significant unless the big investors say so. We're getting our dream game within a year or so. Waiting a few more months for a trailer is better than waiting for nothing, like we have been for the past 15 years.

Now if Shenmue 3 doesnt get shown at E3, which is highly unlikely, then we can get the pitch forks out. Hell, i'll be at the front causing the most havoc. I promise you that.

The battle for Shenmue 3 will continue even after Sony reveal it. I got a feeling that the marketing will be shit, like it has been for the last guardian. I've hardly seen anything for that game and its lineage is similar to shenmue. We have to make sure this doesn't happen with Shenmue 3. So keep the pressure on even after we see it properly. It's really fuked up when No man's sky can get marketed and pushed to the heavens and a game like the last guardian gets a few trailers. Damn.

I think there will be no Shenmue 3 until E3. No good KS updates, no proper reveals. Nothing. Dont listen to the media, dont build any false fan hype. Don't read to much into what cedric, sources, or sega say. Don't expect anything at Monaco etc etc.

If you do, then you're gonna have a ton of ups and downs going forward.

If something does come out before E3, which i doubt it will, then hell, we got ourselves a nice treat.

In the mean time, let's focus on the community and what we do have. We have a shenmue 2 movie, which is bloody amazing. I always wanted that. We have a Shenmue reshade HD project, campaigns, music etc. we'll shift to Shenmue 3 when its revealed.

Shenmue E3 2017. I believe we'll see it then

Made a few edits in case people interpret this in the wrong way or believe it comes across to harsh. Hopefully, you can see my point. All my opinion of course.

ShenSun has received 4 thanks from: Anonymous81, Esppiral, FlagshipFighter, Mr357
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:36 am

I wish. Shenmue III marketing deserves the best.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Serenade » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:50 am

Sorry for going on Twitch and building fan hype.
Serenade
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby delvec19 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:06 am

Close this thread.
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShenSun » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:09 pm

Made a few edits as i think the op could be interpreted in the wrong way. Will make further edits when i get home from work.

Yokosuka wrote: I wish. Shenmue III marketing deserves the best.

I hope the marketing is solid. Sony are usually really good at promoting their products, but based on the last guardian example, which imo is in a similar boat, i haven't seen any marketing for it. Might be due to my area, location, TV stations etc. Probably is being promoted heavily elsewhere.

Serenade wrote: Sorry for going on Twitch and building fan hype.

By all means, build as much hype as you want. Its all just my opinion to avoid the avalanche of madness that happens when there's a disappointment in the community. I like to reserve the hype until something concrete happens....Probably due to all the years of being disappointed

delvec19 wrote: Close this thread.

because you dont agree with my opinion?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:26 pm

And if nothing is at E3 2017? Will you make a wait for PSX thread? When do we stop waiting to see progress of the project?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenSun » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Himuro wrote: And if nothing is at E3 2017? Will you make a wait for PSX thread? When do we stop waiting to see progress of the project?

Nah, ill get my pitchfork out and go resi 4 mode.

Missing PSX 2016 is fine in my opinion since they got a ton of games that need promoting and supporting right now. Shenmue 3 has time. Most games these days tend to get revealed and released in the same year or early the following year. Shenmue 3 was announced as concept before any development took place, so im not surprised we haven't heard or seen anything.

If it didn't go the kickstarter route and got fully funded by Sony, we wouldn't have known about it until this year or most likely next year.

If they do miss E3 2017, which im 99% certain they wont, and the game is scheduled to be released in December 2017, then they are bat shit crazy and that's when real action needs to happen on our part.

The entire Shenmue 3 situation is complicated and we cant expect traditional means to apply.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ChiefNeo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Himuro wrote: And if nothing is at E3 2017? Will you make a wait for PSX thread? When do we stop waiting to see progress of the project?

Can I ask...what alternative are you proposing to patiently waiting?

Do you want to harass team Yu so they know your displeasure? Are you going to take your toys home with you and say "no shenmue 3, I'm defunding it because I wanted more info!"?

Because if it's no to either of those...you are better off forgetting about the game until it comes out or is announced on its own schedule.

ChiefNeo has received 3 thanks from: mikec_ct, Raithos, Spaghetti
ChiefNeo

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:47 pm

ChiefNeo wrote:Can I ask...what alternative are you proposing to patiently waiting?

Do you want to harass team Yu so they know your displeasure? Are you going to take your toys home with you and say "no shenmue 3, I'm defunding it because I wanted more info!"?

Because if it's no to either of those...you are better off forgetting about the game until it comes out or is announced on its own schedule.

Agreed. Tough as it may be, it is really our only viable option.

I mean, go ahead and politely send YSnet (well, Awesome Japan) a message via the Kickstarter page and say you're displeased. I already did, and I even though I got a vaguely dissatisfying answer, I'm sure they're taking note and looking at ways of providing updates of higher substance in 2017.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: ChiefNeo
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:55 pm

Unfortunately, our only option is to wait.

I do think there's more going on. Sega will continue to say "We looking into Shenmue HD and haven't begun development" Awesome Japan will continue to give us generic responses; Cedric and Gio will continue to play cryptic. No one will give us a direct answer or update imo due to the reasons i mentioned in the op.

When something does happen, its going to happen big and we'll all be celebrating and laughing like the nutters that we are.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:59 pm

ChiefNeo wrote:

Can I ask...what alternative are you proposing to patiently waiting?

Not necessarily harass but I have tweeted Cedric my dislike for the lack of new information. You are a backer. This is Kickstarter. Stop acting like we have no voice. The only thing to do is wait? If they miss E3 then I'll ask the media to report on it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:10 pm

ShenSun wrote:The battle for Shenmue 3 will continue even after Sony reveal it. I got a feeling that the marketing will be shit, like it has been for the last guardian. I've hardly seen anything for that game and its lineage is similar to shenmue. We have to make sure this doesn't happen with Shenmue 3. So keep the pressure on even after we see it properly. It's really fuked up when No man's sky can get marketed and pushed to the heavens and a game like the last guardian gets a few trailers. Damn.

I've got to pull this up. I don't think it's fair to say Sony haven't marketed The Last Guardian. It's a super-niche title (even more than Shenmue IMO), and will really only appeal to a specific sub-set of gamers, but they have marketed the game.

In the last few months I've noticed:

It's been out for a round of previews.

Ueda was promoting the game on Geoff Keighley's YouTube Gaming Show.

PewDiePie was given early access for a video preview.

A trailer played in the ad break during The Game Awards (seems like a TV/Cinema ad too, though I haven't watched TV/gone to the movies recently to confirm).

There was a trailer at PSX, where it was also playable, as a final reminder days before the game came out that it was coming.

I'm not even following/interested in the game, and I saw all that stuff.

No Man's Sky did get a bigger marketing push because it was perceived to be a more mainstream title, but it's kind of disingenuous to say Sony's marketing of TLG is "just a few trailers".
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Himuro wrote:Not necessarily harass but I have tweeted Cedric my dislike for the lack of new information. You are a backer. This is Kickstarter. Stop acting like we have no voice. The only thing to do is wait? If they miss E3 then I'll ask the media to report on it.

Fair enough, if you feel the need to do so, then by all means. But like I said, this is not a traditional Kickstarter, fully funded by fans. It has a massive billion dollar corporation behind it along with other various investors and companies. While we do have a voice, and a very loud one given our community, Sony is in control of the project and have the main voice. They are responsible for the marketing of the game and development, and thus will decide when it is shown and when information should be given out.

It may not be the answer you're looking for, but i believe its the reality we're facing.

Spaghetti wrote:
In the last few months I've noticed:

It's been out for a round of previews.

Ueda was promoting the game on Geoff Keighley's YouTube Gaming Show.

PewDiePie was given early access for a video preview.

A trailer played in the ad break during The Game Awards (seems like a TV/Cinema ad too, though I haven't watched TV/gone to the movies recently to confirm).

There was a trailer at PSX, where it was also playable, as a final reminder days before the game came out that it was coming.

I'm not even following/interested in the game, and I saw all that stuff.

No Man's Sky did get a bigger marketing push because it was perceived to be a more mainstream title, but it's kind of disingenuous to say Sony's marketing of TLG is "just a few trailers"

Ahh, fair enough. I must have missed most it. Good to see its getting pushed. I really want that game to do well.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:14 pm

ShenSun wrote:
Himuro wrote:Not necessarily harass but I have tweeted Cedric my dislike for the lack of new information. You are a backer. This is Kickstarter. Stop acting like we have no voice. The only thing to do is wait? If they miss E3 then I'll ask the media to report on it.

Fair enough, if you feel the need to do so, then by all means. But like I said, this is not a traditional Kickstarter, fully funded by fans. It has a massive billion dollar corporation behind it along with other various investors and companies. While we do have a voice, and a very loud one given our community, Sony is in control of the project and have the main voice. They are responsible for the marketing of the game and development, and thus will decide when it is shown and when information should be given out.

It may not be the answer you're looking for, but i believe its the reality we're facing.

Huh? Bloodstained has had multiple stuff despite heavy a major publisher behind it.

Where are you even getting this? Information or footage won't come out unless Sony deems it? Gio Corsi says they were not approached at all by Ys Net.

So where did you pull this from? No offense but you sound full of it on that point.
Last edited by Himuro on Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:14 pm

TLG marketing was pretty ok, althought I don't think it will be enough to sell it well.

Would be awesome to see Shenmue III on this, just for free pleasure
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Next

Return to Shenmue III