Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I was trying hard not to delve into specifics the first time around, but people kinda freaked out, which I guess is to be expected, hence my clarified post. In hindsight, I should've probably posted nothing in the first place.

Basically, yeah.

Rikitatsu wrote:I don't think commenting on whether or not the game is earlier in development than most of us thought would break anyone's NDAs. Can they refute/confirm anything in detail? Probably not... But they can quote me and say "This is Bullshit".

There are no NDAs, if the Japan dinner is any example. The real burden is the trust from the devs to the backers at the dinner, and then the people who they've told the information to, who may have passed it on again on the down-low. But I guess once the word starts spreading it's hard to keep a lid on it.

I will say that based on roughly the same information you have, calling it "earlier than we thought" is a stretch. It is where YSnet says it is, where the work flow chart says it is, where Update 63 says it is, where Ryan Payton says it is. Prototype heading into full production.

A game doesn't even look like a game for a very long time, but it's a big stride in the right direction when you begin to see the game emerging from ideas, assets, and mechanics.

2017 is gonna be cool.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby cactusjack901 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:20 pm

So, I only pop up here once every like 10 years or so; but I just noticed something that I haven't seen in the last few pages.

In the temple gate image... Who in the crap is that in the upper right on top of the mountain?

http://shenmue.link/blog/wp-content/upl ... e-gate.jpg
cactusjack901
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:26 pm

^ Suzuki confirmed Chai to make a return in Shenmue III during (or not too long after) the Kickstarter campaign.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:26 pm

I don't think criticism is hate and the people that spent their money on this project have a right to share their views respectfully without being branded traitors.

But people tend to forget YSNet is a indy dev team. We just had a world open RPG get released unfinished after 10 years of development by a AAA+ team. Yu Suzuki is a great creative mind but his team is not 90s SEGA where he can say "scrap it, I want this by tomorrow morning".

Pieces will eventually come into place, these screenshots will be one day replaced with a video of Ryo and Shenhua walking around and everyone will be blown away.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received 3 thanks from: abaww, Anonymous81, SheepheadCG
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Yokosuka wrote: That's a romantic statement here but unlike a lot of fans here, I'm not waiting Shenmue III to know how the story ends only. Shenmue means much more for me. It's an experience to breath, where the meticulous sum of its specific elements constitute the heart and the uniqueness of the game.

That sounds like a romantic view to me. Anyway, I totally get what you are saying, and I personally welcome any criticism as this is a public forum in the end. But let's have some perspective here. What is even "shenmuish" in practical terms? It seems to be your nostalgic projection from the last 2 installments towards a 2017 game. Everyone seems to have a lot of say on what Shenmue 3 should be like, but where does leave Yu Suzuki in all this? Does he have a say on whether he wants the new game to have that specific UE4 look a lot people seem to be complaining about? Or even the character models. Everyone seems hang up on the fact that the Kickstarter initial video didn't present the characters like we remembered them. But is it wrong if Yu Suzuki decides to follow a new art direction? He is the series creator and director after all. No one should know what's more "shenmuish" than the man who made all of this happen.

Should the fans start pitching in gameplay ideas and directions in which the plot could go too? Because that seems to be the general idea of what people think of Kickstarter is all about, a Shenmue game funded and made by Shenmue fans, with the help of Yu Suzuki.

Seriously, the only valid criticism we can give to the project is if they somehow fail to deliver a finished game. Whether the game is going to be average or worth of high praise has nothing to do with the art direction Yu decides on having for the game at this point. Why can't we let the creator create and then we judge his work after?

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:40 pm

I removed the papyrus logo.

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:03 pm

I think this looks great. I feel alone but it complete fixes all of my complaints from last week and I'm liking the direction they're taking the game.

Himuro has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, delvec19, Spaghetti
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Ad.earns » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:06 pm

I don't know why people are making such a big deal over how the game looks, it's shenmue! It's going to At least be decent looking, it will play well, have good atmosphere and we already know the story will be awesome.

If they could do what they did in 1999 imagine what they'll do now, so what if it's a little rough around the edges? I'd be happy to play shenmue 3 on my dreamcast!
Ad.earns

PSN: Filthyskin
Steam: Dirtskin
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:37 pm

I doubt it will be rough around the edges. A year is a long time to work on a game, the funds are still coming in and I expect it to be delayed until Spring 2018 at the least.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby khmlight3 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:37 am

People need to stop complaing this game will be great!
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:04 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
shredingskin wrote: What ?

Himuro wrote:?

What'd they say?

I can't tell you, All i can say is I really suggest keeping expectations in check.

drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:06 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
shredingskin wrote: What ?

Himuro wrote:?

What'd they say?

I can't tell you, All i can say is I really suggest keeping expectations in check.

Right.

You know what, my bad... hype it all you want. Why do I care about setting your expectations?

you clearly care because you're crying all over the topic and you can't stand it everyone is hyped after the photo's, even media and you aren't :lol: how old are you?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:08 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:I have nothing to gain by creating fear and paranoia, nor do I have an agenda to set as you've claimed before. Interpret my intentions as you see fit... It says more about you than anyone else.

I guess I shouldn't have posted anything and let people go haywire with their expectations. Like they did in September.

Yeah, you're right. You do have nothing to gain from it, so I can't fathom why you are using this information so irresponsibly when nobody can actually openly talk about the details.

There is nothing irresponsible with what i said. If people actually took my word at face value and lowered their expectations, if would be for their benefit.

taking someone at face value on the internet :lol: you expect us to trust you? who are you? other than a sad attention whoring fool. I feel sorry for you, you have no friends. really.

now go away and let us enjoy shenmue 3
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:39 am

I can't believe the level of bitterness in this thread, and lately in this forum.

We should be thrilled by yesterday update, we should be boosted by what Suzuki San said... but no.

The game may be ready in 12, 18 or even 24 month, but what we know for sure is that Yu Suzuki will do the best game he can with the means at its disposal, period.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby yuc02 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:33 am

I like the pictures, they definitely are Shenmue-esque, and I believe makes the game stand out (admittedly I haven't played many recent games) in the same way that The Last Guardian does. There are some rough edges but that's to be expected of a game in development.
yuc02

PSN: yuc2002

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III