Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby delvec19 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Kiske wrote: Just to add some fuel to the rumors/assumptions fire:

For context, "Les Illuminati" is one of the 63 Twitter accounts followed by... Cédric Biscay.

The original tweet from Romain Mahut is likely to be linked to this one from April 2nd:

delvec19
Master of the Three Blades

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed May 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Goods news on the vanquish announcement. I hope there is more to come.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Wed May 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Someone translate the French above please.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Wed May 10, 2017 3:20 pm

So this French dude is the same guy who said he heard some sweet info on Shenmue last month, and now he is saying he doesn't know anything and is purely speculating on something being announced at E3.

Not exactly filled with confidence.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Himuro » Wed May 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Peter wrote: So this French dude is the same guy who said he heard some sweet info on Shenmue last month, and now he is saying he doesn't know anything and is purely speculating on something being announced at E3.

Not exactly filled with confidence.

:roll: How expected..
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Kiske wrote: Just to add some fuel to the rumors/assumptions fire:

For context, "Les Illuminati" is one of the 63 Twitter accounts followed by... Cédric Biscay.

The original tweet from Romain Mahut is likely to be linked to this one from April 2nd:

GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

BODY IS READY! GET HYPE, LET'S DO THIS!

FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Wed May 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Sorry but I can't see how this is anything to get hyped about. Here's excerpts from what he is saying. Let's start with the one he got us all giddy about.

"There is activity around the Shenmue franchise. I don't have enough info to tell more about it at the moment but it looks positive!" - very interesting and exciting!

Today's comments, bundled together for convenience:

"Whenever Sega announce a remaster that isn't Shenmue, I facepalm. I may have to facepalm for longer....

I do not know. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced at E3 (pure speculation on my part)

I heard a few things, here and there. Nothing specific. But 2017 could be our year."

That's it. For me, it went from amazing news shrouded in secrecy, to speculation and some small pieces of info which add up to nothing. Either way, he isn't even talking like someone who is ITK and all giddy with excitement.

I'm containing my excitement for now.

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed May 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Yeah apologies for my 'slight' exaggeration there xD I wanted any excuse to trigger the memes hype culture, even if it's premature. I was caught up in the moment with that 'Les Illuminaté's' comment with the 'héhéhéhé' it does seem like they might be some substance to it for sure. Perhaps there's been too much lurking today from me (I've just been having to oversee some 3d prints and get some errands done today which has given me too much time to surf lol)

In other news, Sega showed us what that Yakuza Kiwami steelbook looks like up close on twitter, it's very nice... so errm, yeah... :*-(

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Kiske » Wed May 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Peter wrote: Sorry but I can't see how this is anything to get hyped about. Here's excerpts from what he is saying. Let's start with the one he got us all giddy about.

"There is activity around the Shenmue franchise. I don't have enough info to tell more about it at the moment but it looks positive!" - very interesting and exciting!

Today's comments, bundled together for convenience:

"Whenever Sega announce a remaster that isn't Shenmue, I facepalm. I may have to facepalm for longer....

I do not know. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced at E3 (pure speculation on my part)

I heard a few things, here and there. Nothing specific. But 2017 could be our year."

That's it. For me, it went from amazing news shrouded in secrecy, to speculation and some small pieces of info which add up to nothing. Either way, he isn't even talking like someone who is ITK and all giddy with excitement.

I'm containing my excitement for now.

Sorry guys if I give you false hope. Please, don't shoot the messenger :lol:
I'm probably doing a mistake by reporting those tweets in this thread dedicated to the E3.

Those various tweets are (potential) indications that Shenmue HD is on the way, not that Shenmue HD will be announced during E3 (But to be fair, there can't be an announcement for something who doesn't exist, right?)

The exact translation is more: "I may NOT have to facepalm for long anymore".

Beside the tweet from Romain Mahut, I find the "Les Illuminati" tweet interesting.
I believe he knows Cédric Biscay and this "héhéhéhé" doesn't sound that casually innocent to me...

That doesn't mean there will be a good surprise at E3 of course but there are a lot of positive elements around Shenmue HD in the last month. In the end, what matters is to get Shenmue HD before Shenmue 3.

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Wed May 10, 2017 4:43 pm

No, no don't apologise!

This time around, I am keeping my feet firmly planted on Earth. Dealing with fact only. I am not doing rumors this year, I just can't face the backlash or letdown of it. Not right now.

Peter has received a thanks from: Himuro
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Jibby » Wed May 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Much like Shenhua, "I await whilst praying".

Jibby has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Wed May 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Peter wrote: No, no don't apologise!

This time around, I am keeping my feet firmly planted on Earth. Dealing with fact only. I am not doing rumors this year, I just can't face the backlash or letdown of it. Not right now.

I wasn't around during the dark years you and others were waiting on SEGA to do something else than sit on the Shenmue IP. All those years of believing Shenmue wasn't dead. So yeah, I do understand you want to keep your feet firmly planted on Earth.

I'm trying to keep my expectations on check (although it's not easy :mrgreen: ) and report "rumors" that come possibly from reliable sources.

I'll keep an eye on the french connexion and try to post in the right topic next time. :-#

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Peter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby JohnBlack » Wed May 10, 2017 5:18 pm

You dont need much inside information on this. The thing is if SIII flops than HD is dead. So to secure spot and earn hype-money Sega obviously will try to release HD before 3 part.
JohnBlack

Postby Peter » Wed May 10, 2017 5:38 pm

That's very true, but here's the issues I have...

(Bear in mind, I don't have an absolute clue about game development.)

- Shenmue is a HUGE game. It ain't no Crazy Taxi, so it will be a huge task for a development studio to do.

- god knows how many textures there are in that game. Buildings, props etc. But all of those would have to be cleaned up or rescaled?

-Shenmue has an awful lot of individual items in game, that can be picked up and examined at close range. All of those would need to be redone. Including toy capsules, and there are hundreds of those alone.

-character models would need redone, or touched up. Both in game and cutscene.

-in game menu and main screen would need to be done in terms of look

-all of the audio would need to be cleaned and upscaled to today's standards. It's badily compressed. That's A LOT of NPC dialogue alone, never mind the main characters, or the sound effects, OR the main tracks.

-also the Japanese audio, as well as the implementation of the dual audio voice overs people want.

-also what people want is rid of the tank controls so implementation of full 360° movement via analogue stick, which never existed before? That would require fresh mocap

-all of the above needs coded for at least TWO systems (PC and PS4). So that's a serious tonne of code to be written

All this, on top of licensing issues, which Sega are arguably stalling over? I'm sorry to be a buzz kill, but as the sands of time run out as we get closer to Shenmue 3, I can't help feel that Sega will let us down, as they always have in the past.

I want to believe, and as I've asked before on here, if someone with actual game development knowledge come in and walk me through it, both how a remaster is made, as well as reassuring me that Shenmue can be remastered easier than my mind can processing then I would be extremely grateful, and get back on that hype train.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby KidMarine » Wed May 10, 2017 5:55 pm

I think HD Remasters, at least of acceptable quality, are getting more and more unlikely. And they weren't all that likely to begin with. People forget that the HD ports of Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure pretty much sucked. Both were sourced from the PC versions, Crazy Taxi with its licensing and soundtrack removed and its physics all messed up, and Adventure a port of the inferior glitchy ugly DX version with huge borders. Both of these games would be a lot easier to port than Shenmue and they still didn't put the effort it. At least they tried with JSR HD, but again its a lot smaller than Shenmue.

Honestly we should consider ourselves lucky that Shenmue is on the Dreamcast because anyone genuinely interested in the series can pick up a Dreamcast and a few CD-Rs very cheaply if they want. If it was on the Saturn or the Xbox it would be a lot more inaccessible.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III