What Brought You To Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

What Brought You To Shenmue?

Postby Forklift#5 » Wed May 21, 2003 5:10 pm

Where did you hear about Shemue, and what brought you to buy it?
For me, I saw it on some show, I thought it was a really great looking (and sounding) game and decided to buy it.
Forklift#5
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Burdyle » Wed May 21, 2003 6:21 pm

The fact that we can copy DC Games :P
And because I saw it on TV.
Burdyle
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ::RFY:: » Wed May 21, 2003 6:45 pm

I saw it on Tech TV (Back then ZDTV) and that was before I had a DC. I thought nothing of the game till I had a DC and saw Shenmue on the rack. Brought me back to the day I saw the preview.... :)
::RFY::
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueAddict » Wed May 21, 2003 6:54 pm

read about it in the official Uk Dreamcast magazine, from the first time i read about it in 1999 i kept following the news and updates about it right up until it was released.
ShenmueAddict
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: Patrickingham2
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas

Postby mikec_ct » Wed May 21, 2003 8:27 pm

I don't remember when I first heard the "Virtua Fighter RPG" rumors, but that was when my interest was piqued because I was a huge Virtua Fighter fan at the time (VF2 and Fighters Megamix, both for the Saturn, were my obsessions for a while).

Anyway, I saw the initial Project Berkley/Shenmue screenshots, most likely on SegaWeb.com or SegaNet.com (two of the greatest Sega sites ever in their heyday, but the former sucks now and the latter has been dead for a few years after the webmaster left to write for some big name gaming magazine) and was hooked instantly. The rest is history. I bought Shenmue I when it came out and was forced to import Shenmue II DC from Europe.
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Gutcruncher » Wed May 21, 2003 8:49 pm

Read about it in ODCM. Sounded cool, so i wanted to get it when it came out about 6 months to a year later.
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby pico » Wed May 21, 2003 10:28 pm

I read about it in ODCM and then got a free video of it on a demo disc from ODCM. I thought it looked cool, but never got around to buying it. My brother finally bought it for my birthday.

And I love him for that! :lol:
pico
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Miles McCloud » Thu May 22, 2003 12:08 am

The movie on the ODCM demo disc did it for me, I went out and bought it the day after the demo disc came :)
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby rens of heavens » Thu May 22, 2003 3:40 am

Because its the best game ever made!!
Last edited by rens of heavens on Thu May 29, 2003 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
rens of heavens
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Miles Prower » Thu May 22, 2003 3:57 am

I think I first read about it in CVG magazine, the shots just blew me away, I knew I wanted that game ^_^
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Juanfran » Thu May 22, 2003 5:40 am

I got into it when my friend decided it would do me good to play it.
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Silas » Thu May 22, 2003 6:30 am

I'm not a games magazine man, in fact I didn't have any consoles before I got my Dreamcast. I bought it because a friend showed me Sonic Adventure and I absolutely fell in love with the new generation of gaming in 3D (something I had more or less waited my life for). But I did pick up one DC magazine, and saw a small corner article with a couple of pictures, and this "Shenmue" thing seemed to be the answer to my dreams. So I pre-ordered it (still the only game I've ever pre-ordered). Then in the week it was released I was reading reviews saying how disappointing it was, it was more linear than expected, there wasn't as much freedom as expected. So now I'm thinking "I've blown £32 on a crock of shit!" The next day it popped through my letter box. So I thought, "What the hell, I'll give it a go!" Which I did as soon as I got back from work.

I went to bed about 2:30am that night! I spent the whole first day in Shenmue just exploring the Dojo. Then when going round Sakuragaoka and Dobuita I spent as much time going round the back of blocks of flats, up the stairs and knocking on doors as I did progressing the plot! You see games today like GTA:VC which have implemented this kind of full 3D environment, but Shenmue really was the pioneer in this field.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby JAPANFAN » Thu May 22, 2003 6:56 am

EGM is where I first heard about Shenmue. I wanted it ever since I read that two-page preview. Luckily enough, like a couple of others here, I also received the teaser footage from ODCM. That sealed the deal. 8)
JAPANFAN
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jimmy3000 » Thu May 22, 2003 9:04 am

i first saw it in a magzine and then read all about it on the net, it looked unique and different form any other games so i waited for it to come out and got it on its release day ^_^ i borrowed shenmue2 of my friend though cos i dont think its as good but i recently bough it off him for £2 XD
Jimmy3000
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby SpringChick » Thu May 22, 2003 11:43 am

I didn't buy it, my brother did. I got interested in it after I watched him play it.
SpringChick
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue