Search found 24 matches

Return

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

FourWuDu1026 wrote:
staplepuffs27 wrote: I hope they realize that they need to make a new post. Guys, please know that questions will not be answered in the threat they linked to. It's against reddit rules as Arm Wrestler noted.

Wait did something happen?

by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

Also some talk about realism, and how while that was a pursuit for the first two games; it's now kind of switched into an exaggerated naturalism for III. Curious what this means exactly. I mean, it sounds like the realism is still there to an extent. You can get a job and stuff after all.

I think it's referring to the art direction. The characters are supposed to be somewhat exaggerated/stylized in appearance rather than photorealistic.
by Centrale
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

Spaghetti wrote: Haha, I was gonna say, a tape recorder sounds like our boy BlueMue, and so it was! How did Yu react?

Both he and Hideaki seemed to recognize it. They both showed great interest and laughed when they saw it.

Here's the promised video:
phpBB [video]
by BlueMue
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Message to Suzuki-san @ Gamescom

I just want to give a huge thanks to Yuc02 and everyone else involved in this. Seeing Yu-san with the message from all of us was a great thing to witness indeed. This is why i love the shenmue community! :D

by Senpai Gamer
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

I've been gone for a while, in what I have called both on the Kickstarter and elsewhere a "self-imposed exile," and I plan to return to that after this post. But I had to at least pop in - as I have on the Kickstarter in recent days - to comment about the latest reveals which, to me, are absolutely fantastic and nothing but promising.

These latest interviews, in the flurry or two or three we've gotten in recent days, coupled with the Deep Silver news and of course that awesome teaser footage, leave no doubt in my mind that the game is going to be as good as Yu and company can possibly deliver under the circumstances.

In particular, the things that make my heart leap with optimism:

⋅ The DETAILS in those new screenshots (much of which can also be seen in the teaser) tell me, without question, that this is going to be another Shenmue installment brimming with intimate, intricate, granular verisimilitude and nooks and crannies waiting to be seen and "felt"/"smelled" as Yu might put it. Not a single screenshot or camera angle in the new footage was devoid of tons of small details and world building touches that SCREAMED Shenmue to me. To say nothing of the familiar design of narrow streets lined with shops, homes, etc.
⋅ News of the Deep Silver deal was already promising, but the confirmation of something like the NPC count ballooning up towards 200 absolutely confirms that the infusion of funds is not insignificant. That, combined with Yu saying their help will facilitate the game going BEYOND the Kickstarter's scope, is a huge deal to me. I think many media outlets are underestimating the impact this will have, and has already had.
⋅ The models, while clearly WIP and lacking in some things such as facial animations - which Yu acknowledged - are definitely headed in a promising direction. And the early provisional martial arts animations ALREADY look quite good. It is only going to get better from here on out.
⋅ I would not at all be surprised or upset - not one bit - if the game sees another delay. I know there's a strong intimation that the existing delay was already to accommodate changes brought about by the Deep Silver deal, but I wouldn't be shocked to see another one. The longer this game "cooks," the better in my opinion and I would happily wait until 2019 to see a fully baked Shenmue experience. Now that one seems financially possible, all the better.

I'm not concerned about the fighting engine, or anything else we have yet to get clarification on. (And those things are actually part of why I suspect another delay is not out of the question.)

In short, I'm ignoring the haters, ignoring the rushing to judgment and pessimistic assumption brigade, and ignoring the erroneous, factually deficient gaming press who fails to note all of the above. Above all, I'm ignoring the hateful, trollish cesspool much of the Kickstarter comment section has become. No offense intended, but they do not represent the Shenmue fandom.

We waited 15 years for S3's announcement. We waited two more years for news of this caliber to finally be unleashed, and I'm not letting pessimism dent my joy and enthusiasm for the implications of what has been revealed.

Now I will again vanish back into the shadows. I just wanted to post my continuous, unyielding support for Shenmue 3 and its fandom.

Peace out.
by Anonymous81
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VG 24/7 interview with Yu

"I think that probably after we finish this, the next one, Shenmue 4 – it will be coming. I have to do something – I have to start something – so the next one will come."

https://68.media.tumblr.com/f87fc61d9d77c58fed997f6f6bede76a/tumblr_inline_o8dt71LMuG1t7bxs0_500.gif
by Enigma
Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Give me Evangelists any day over the culture police that infest today's gaming industry. Two sides of the same coin, except one can be easily laughed at. The other cannot.
by Mystere
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 & 2 will be $29.99

Come back in a week, when you learn this place isn't based on your individual thoughts or personal circumstance. I must be out of my mind to only issue a ban for a week, but as i said, this place isn't what it was. Your posting attitude is not flying around here anymore, and i wont have it spreading to other members. Every thread in here has been in good spirits with constructive criticism and positivity, even from some of the more hard-line critics we have seen on the boards in recent years.
Come back in a week with a changed attitude or don't come back at all.

Now, this topic is regarding the price point of the games. Keep it on point.
by Peter
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Take it off Shenmue2 as well

by Niowiad
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Remaster VS Original Comparison Video

iyapol wrote: Shenhua could be cross-eyed for all I care - we're getting Shenmue HD!

are you sure m8
by dietsoap
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About to Play Shenmue for the First Time

Um...wow. I guess it's been a while. My most sincere apologies! I want you all to know that I have NOT lost interest. I've just had a lot going on this past...year... OK, I have no excuses. I tend to get really distracted by every new thing under the sun. However, I just heard that Shenmue 1 & 2 are getting a re-release, which reminded me of this thread.

In honor of the re-release announcement, I'm going to try to pick this back up and continue playing soon.

See you then!
by Arjak
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Shenmue definitely isn't a game for everybody. I think the people who say that kind of thing aren't going to be fans of the game regardless of whether there is a time skip feature or not.
by Jibby
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

In terms of essential features that I've wanted in a 'Shenmue HD' now that it's real: I'm absolutely overjoyed that they've gotten my most essential out of the way English + Japanese audio with the rest being achievements, higher resolution, retaining the original aesthetic we all grew up with and . I'm also glad classic controls are retained!

It's really cool that they managed to get widescreen support, it also looks cool seeing this in all the Shenmue streams online. As far as the 4:3 cutscenes go, I'd definitely choose gameplay being wide out of the two but I don't actually mind the 4:3 for cutscenes at all tbf if that's what they had to settle with.

The only thing is: I hope they can make a nice transition between the two aspect ratios if they do settle for 4:3 cutscenes. When you're in gameplay and you've suddenly activated a cutscene, it'd be nice to have the borders gradually transition/fade to black, just so that the two ratios flow more organically and that they don't appear jarring from one scene to the next.

Either way, if they don't it's honestly not the biggest deal breaker for me. A lot of these challenges reminds me of what developer 'Code Mystics' when through when remastering Phantom Dust last year for XB1/W10. They struggled to get the game work in all high resolutions and widescreen at first, people noticed and in towards the very end they figured it out, but they noted just how difficult it was working with old Japanese code (60fps etc wasn't achievable in the end). However: they didn't have the advantage of working with the source code: they had to hack into it straight from a retail disc, yikes!
by FlagshipFighter
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Famitsu Article

Gamefront.de, one of the best video game news outlets in Germany have a short summary of the Famitsu article. I'll give you guys a quick translation of it.

Shenmue I & II mit moderner und klassischer Steuerung / Gameplay-Szenen 16:9
18.04.18 - Der Fertigungsstand von Shenmue I & II (PS4, Xbox One) bei Sega und d3t beträgt 70 Prozent. Das schreibt die neueste Famitsu.

Weiter heißt es, dass das Spiel eine moderne und klassische Steuerung besitzen wird. Bei der modernen Steuerung bewegt sich Held Ryo mittels linkem Analogstick, bei der klassischen Steuerung bewegt er sich mit dem Digitalkreuz.

In normalen Gameplay-Sequenzen wird das Bild beim Spielen im 16:9 Verhältnis gezeigt. Event-Szenen werden hingegen weiterhin im Original 4:3 Verhältnis dargestellt, heißt es in dem Bericht werden. Release: 2018 (Europa)

Shenmue 1 & 2 with modern and classic controls/gameplay scenes 16:9

Shenmue 1 & 2, at Sega and D3t is about 70% complete, says the latest Famitsu issue.

Furthermore, the article says the game will have a modern and a classic control scheme. In the modern control scheme, the hero Ryo will be moved by the left analog stick, whereas in the classic control scheme he will be moved by the d-pad.

In regular gameplay sequences, the picture will be displayed in 16:9. Event scenes (cutscenes) however, will be kept in the original 4:3 proportions.

Just a quick translation of a translation by myself. Hope I could help you guys out.
by Hyo Razuki
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd say we're further along than 70%
by d3tAllan
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd say we're further along than 70%

Hi Allan, thanks for joining the forum! I'm not sure how much you're at liberty to say, but are you allowed to say how cutscenes will be presented in Shenmue II? Will they be letterboxed for people who select 4:3, and full widescreen for people who select 16:9?

Also, will the stencil/environment shadows from the Xbox version of Shenmue II be implemented at all? I only ever played the Dreamcast version and despite owning an Xbox never felt the urge to own the Xbox version of Shenmue II, but watching the DF Retro episode on the game, it was cool to see environmental shadows that I'd never seen before. Not a deal-breaker if they're not included, though.

Thanks!
I think its best I don't talk about 4:3 vs 16:9. All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

We've ported the xbox version of Shenmue II so yes it does have stencil shadows.
by d3tAllan
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think its best I don't talk about 4:3 vs 16:9. All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

We've ported the xbox version of Shenmue II so yes it does have stencil shadows.

Hello, just wanted too ask you to clarify something. When you say widescreen hacks, are you referring to the option in like NullDC to turn on extra geometry, or referring to a true widescreen hack like found in this thread? We have pretty much solved making the games widescreen on Sega Dreamcast and fixed the issue with the geometry clipping where it renders things off screen differently.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50595

Old widescreen hack
http://i.imgur.com/Xv2I3OU.jpg

New widescreen hack
http://i.imgur.com/AS3NBC5.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPngFyOs8s
by Anthony817
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD Fact sheet

Dorian wrote: d3t. Now I know why the remaster has errors like wrong eye movement and aspect ratio. Somebody needs to reach out to them and explain a few things they're doing improperly before the console versions are baked.

I think the eye thing has been fixed now.
by d3tAllan
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New Shenmue Merch Teased

Just teased on the Sonic live stream, Aaron Webber of Sega, (Sonic social media guy) asked fans for franchises that people would love some merch for on the Sega Store. NiGHTS Into Dreams was also teased, but Shenmue caught my attention.

Apparently around the launch of Shenmue 1 & 2 new merch "may" be added to the store, with a jacket heavily teased.

Whilst this is awesome, and will pick up any and all of the new official Shenmue merch, this'll be what...the 5th "official" Shenmue jacket - if you include the $2,400 fangamer jacket on the Shenmue 3 slacker backer campaign. Previously there were 3 iterations of the jacket on Insert Coin Clothing - Hoodie, Faux Leather, and Bomber.

Here is the clip from the stream revealing the tease -

https://clips.twitch.tv/CuteAltruisticFoxDatSheffy?tt_medium=create
by James Brown
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

They need to work a lot and take out fingers of ass for make a true and beautiful Remaster. As why my TV can stretch pictures, I don't need stretching options everyone can do this...
I'm not sure you particularly know what you're talking about here, but you might want to tone your language down about the developer, especially now we have someone from there posting here now.

EDIT: After further discussion, the above post was considered rude and too far out of line to allow, and has resulted in a week's suspension.
by Spaghetti
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you most looking forward to?

I'm really looking forward to the fact that it's no longer going to be a chore to play the games. Instead of having to pull my Dreamcast out from storage or tweak emulator settings, I can just fire the game up on my PS4 or PC and jump right in hassle free.
by Jibby
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Curious, what company ported the Xbox version originally? I've heard Yu was not involve at all

Yu was indeed not involved, but it was still made by AM2 and led by Shin Ishikawa (https://segaretro.org/Shin_Ishikawa) who had also worked on the Dreamcast games: http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/am2/
by Amir
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic