Search found 920 matches

Return

Kickstarter Update #61: Halloween Greetings

With Halloween upon us, it is time to get into the spirit, so…

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/014/323/816/1a62a14dce5699a73b771f2722f46ef1_original.JPG?w=639&fit=max&v=1477875959&auto=format&q=92&s=17a7b3b2a5a712fa0ad9312f4abe18d0

And yes, that is a Kenji Miyawaki original!

But one person who will not be going out to do trick-or-treat this year is this man.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/014/323/826/f35f62ab06f30478b575ef84e8c3a07f_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1477876031&auto=format&q=92&s=fd2da3a752d44777e994c44e9b1483dd

Yu-san has been hard at work to bring us the biggest treat of all, and now he has begun the momentous undertaking that is the signed rewards! Everyday Yu-san has been putting his signature to the Kenji Miyawaki illustrations, and thanks to your gracious and sincerely appreciated support, the number of illustrations to be signed is reaching the 5,000 mark!

Maybe next year Yu-san will be able to go trick-or-treating in his Ryo costume…

From all of us of us here, Happy Halloween!

High Res Chai/Shenhua Halloween illustration
http://i.imgur.com/UfyioPQ.jpg
by Ziming
Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

Amir wrote:
31st October

$6,653,933 --> $6,654,529 (+$606)

72,954 backers --> 72,965 (+11) (Avg. $55.09)

1st November

$6,654,529 --> $6,654,847 (+$318)

72,965 backers --> 72,970 (+5) (Avg. $63.60)
by Amir
Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki on Shenmue III (Famitsu.com interview, Nov 2)

Japanese site Famitsu.com today published a new interview with Yu Suzuki, in commemoration of the release of the recent Powerdrift 3D on the Nintendo 3DS, centered mainly around various arcade games he worked on at his time with Sega.

http://i.imgur.com/a2DJnVQ.jpg

The good news for Shenmue fans is that the interview contains mention of Shenmue 3 in a few places, including some direct comments by Yu Suzuki.

I've extracted and translated the relevant parts here:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/11/yu-suzuki-comments-on-shenmue-3-nov-2.html

My favorite part is where he states that his ideal graphical vision, going back to the early arcade days, has never changed - and he gives a Shenmue 3 image as an example of that ideal.
by Switch
Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New interview of Cédric Biscay (French & English)

And it's all 'bout Shenmue :D

https://medium.com/@ShenmueForever/interview-de-c%C3%A9dric-biscay-novembre-2016-92caf44a4da8#.p9l8r21xa

SF — Will the fans once again be in for some surprises about Shenmue 3 at the next MAGIC?

CB —We have been working on this but I don’t know yet which form it will take exactly.

SF — We know that this has been asked to you on a regular basis, but will the PC version eventually be available as a reward in the PayPal Slacker Backer campaign?

CB —It’s planned, yes, but as I have been saying for months, I’m aware that time seems long on this matter.
by Kiske
Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

I don't think we have to worry very much about the story being rushed.

Yu Suzuki's Red Bull interview:
“I’m afraid that the story will not be concluded with Shenmue 3,” Suzuki says, frankly. “After thinking it through, we decided that forcing a conclusion in Shenmue 3 would only make the story feel rushed and compromise the game as a whole.

I'm trying to find the quote, but I think Yu did say III would finish Chapter 5 and go beyond Chapter 6, so let's assume it gets partway into Chapter 7 the same way II got partway into III. That seems reasonable.

Anyway, the developer/publisher list for PSX has been announced and there's no sign of YSnet. The list may be for exhibitors, i.e games the public can play at the event, so there's still every chance Shenmue III will be at the stage show.

Too many times in these events they don't list all the games to not spoil the surprise, I'm sure Shenmue 3 will be one of those surprises.
by Hazuki00
Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you Spags :)

I really do hope they make it for PSX.

It makes a huge promotional difference (just look at how many people are unaware of the KS updates or sadly even the MAGIC) and would certainly be of a big help for both Slacker Backer & #SaveShenmueHD campaigns.

As a Shenmue fan, I don't care if we get a trailer at the PSX, during a KS update or at Magic 2017.
As far as I know they are working hard and with all the necessary serenity on Shenmue 3, I'm happy.

It's really from the promotional point of view that PSX would be perfect...
by Kiske
Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't understand why people have been doubting what we have been told by the bosses of the team itself. But for those who are still doubting....

Nick Accordino was a special guest on the 8-4 Play podcast a couple of weeks back. Nick is currently an associste producer for ISD (International Software Department) for Sony Interactive Entertainment America (SIEA).

His job is to take all of the games that come from Europe and Japan, and get them all ready for shipment in the States. They are involved with everything in the game, from transforming it from its original Japanese or European version, to the North American version. He was in Japan for lots of meetings, and also because there is a lot of stuff planned for PSX that needed to taken care of.

An interesting quote he said was, "there are a lot of surprises, particularly Japanese surprises this year for PSX..."

http://traffic.libsyn.com/eightfour/8-4Play_167_161028.mp3

Do you guys really need any more hints like ;-)
by Peter
Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Peter,

I just read your fantastic interview in the Mega Visions issue #1 :king:

I hope you don't mind, since the interview has been officially published, if I quote you for the benefit of our Dojo friends. :)

MEGA VISIONS:
In a podcast with Fauxpop Media, Adam Sipione (one of your fellow Shenmue fans on the trip) mentioned that Yu Suzuki was quite eager to show off some material that hasn't been shown off to the public. Is there anything that you can share with us, and if you can't, can you give us your own reaction to what he showed off?

PETER CAMPBELL:
Unfortunately yes, YSNET and Suzuki-San were kind enough to give us their trust, and show us some unseen Shenmue III material at various points of the day. I am not legally bound to keep what we seen to myself, but being given that trust was an amazing gift, and not something I would breach. But what we were shown...

...Jaw dropping.

I don't mean that in a fanboy manner either. People have no idea what they have been able to achieve, and what's about to drop in the very near future. In my wildest dreams, what I imagined Shenmue III looking like, what we seen was on a totally different level. YSNET have been deliberately quiet since the summer of 2015, and as someone who prefers the less is more approach, I feel fully justified with that after what we were shown. It's insane, and I honestly cannot wait until the fans see it!!

Well dear Peter, we cannot wait to see it indeed!!

Thank you :heart:

You can subscribe to/purchase the Mega Visions issue #1 here:
http://www.megavisionsmag.com/
by Kiske
Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega of Japan holds survey about older IPs on website

They're testing the waters to see if we want Shenmue 3! This time it's gonna happen guys!
by Rakim
Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What should Ryo say to Lan Di right before he kills him?

Kiske wrote: "Taking revenge is no different from murder. This must end."
Ryo is going to spare Lan Di's life.

Ryo: I'll have some revenge.

[Kill him]---- [Spare Him]

----->

Ryo: Changed my mind.
by SMDzero
Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue VR (WIP)

Hi all,

After seeing the DreamcasticChannel's experiments with TrinusVR (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cF7O-H3BlM), I decided how Shenmue could possibly work in a similar way.

After some digging and experimenting, I can say yes, you CAN play Shenmue in VR, and here's proof:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/15110530_10102012437366550_4134732604956062363_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Video here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4thMAc1pwKRdGR5MEkxUW1GOHM

Obviously I'm not playing it with a headset (since I haven't got one), and the tracking and frame rate aren't quite ideal yet (I blame my crappy phone), but as a proof-of-concept it does work, and I think with tweaking and better hardware it will be quite playable.

So to get it all running, I used:

Hardware:

Windows based PC (mine's a i5 Windows 8 system)

Decent smartphone (mine's a Moto G LTE 1st gen), with USB cable for tethering

Xbox type control pad, you can use a keyboard but the analog triggers would be a bit of a pain to emulate

Software:

NullDC 1.04 r150 SM fixes by masterchan777 (I guess Demul will work too), using the PuruPuru controller plugin to select the vJoy controller below

vJoy (creates a virtual joystick in system), I got the installer download here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vjoystick/files/Beta%202.x/2.1.7.7-260916/vJoySetup.exe/download

FreePIE (which I used to assign mouse movement to the joystick axis in the vJoy controller, and the rest of the controls from the xbox pad): http://andersmalmgren.github.io/FreePIE/

TrinusVR (which I used to link phone gyro tracking to PC mouse movements), you'll need to get the server software on your PC, and the client software on your phone: http://trinusvr.com/

Step by step tutorial to come later, but if you want you can give it a go already, since the software's all FREE (well, almost) 8)
by yuc02
Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm fully anticipating some "worst case scenario" theorising before the 3rd, though.

Hey, what if no major update "before December" was another quirk of Cedric's English, and what he meant was "before the end of December"? Now why would they wait until then, specifically? What if "I am not a spoiler" meant he didn't want to spoil our Christmas? Basically, what if the news they're holding back from us is that Shenmue III's been cancelled?

There you go, something to chew on! You're welcome. :)
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dojo Twitch Channel - schedule & discussion

Channel will go live on December 3rd!

Use this topic for discussion and to check for updates to the schedule!

Hope to see you all there!

http://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo
by Peter
Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think a better description of the last two updates would be that they've been light on game information. ...

I think they've played it smartly by being restrained with the updates. It's not really in the spirit of "open development" that Kickstarter offers...

That's what I meant, lack of game information in the updates.

Knowing that the last time we saw material from the game was on magic monaco, that's a lot of time (many months) without seeing a simple screenshot. It's about time for them to release something big for the fans.
The developer video it's ok but we couldn't see much more apart from that scene of falling rocks.

At first people thought it would be a more open project but that way the game would have less impact when they release it, so I can understand they don't give much info and screens.

I think a lot of people here should read the thread I made about games being hard to make.
by Himuro
Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

On the subject of Ryo's model, I have a controversial opinion.
I really dislike the passport model and I hope whatever they have in Shenmue 3 doesn't resemble it.

Let me explain, I think the passport models are very detailed, especially at the time, taking that into account, the models are indeed impressive. But I think Ryo's in-game model has better facial features, better bone structure, basically better everything despite being less detailed. So I would rather have them draw influence from that instead of the passport model.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk430/verdantf/untitled.jpg

VS

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/shenmue/images/a/a6/Ryo_after_chasing_Cool_Z.png/revision/latest?cb=20140128015615
by Rikitatsu
Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

DoubleO_Ren wrote: I have a feeling Shenmue II will end up being the definitive Shenmue game, I think it will end up being better than 3. What do you guys think?

We basically have not even seen Shenmue 3 as of yet, I'll save my speculation on this for later.
by mrandyk
Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Not a fan of the Yakuza engine for Shenmue purposes either. Sega has developed this engine to fit particularly well the vibes and edges of Tokyo, full of artificial lights and urban colors. We're pretty far from what Suzuki is targeting publicly for the Chinese environments of Shenmue III.
by Yokosuka
Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We'll see.

The tsunami risk from the earthquake earlier today in Japan may have thrown a wrench in plans, but of course I'm sure we all prioritise people and their safety over a game reveal.

Tokyo won't have to worry about the tsunami, but there's the potential risk of rolling blackouts affecting work. Cedric did seem to imply YSnet were up against the clock to get something sorted, though this seems like a long-term planned thing and not a spur of the moment decision, so they may have finished what they intend to show already.

I've just heard on radio that there were no damages nor tsunami thanks god.

A week and a day for the next update!
by Hazuki00
Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Playstation Experience - December 2016

I would have went had there been confirmation, it's not far from me, but have been told it's not looking likely. Hoping to be surprised though.

That's.... interesting.

Perhaps plans have changed since September who knows. Either way, none of us will know until it happens so until then we can just look at the event face value and assess the possibility of there something being shown at the event. Here's a list I can compile:

- Nothing whatsoever has been shown in 9 months.
- They already pulled out of E3 last minute, also rearranging the summer LA dinner as a result.
- We were shown a trailer in September, which was more or less ready to go that month as is, never mind with all the extra work put in. We were also extremely hinted at, that it was for PSX.
- The event itself will be in LA, where Yu will be at the same time. Last time he has at a public event like that was MAGIC, where new footage was revealed.
- PSX is more indie/3rd party based so it's the right event for Shenmue 3 to be showcased.
- SIED rep has stated that this year's event will be Japanese developer heavy.
- Yu is not confirmed for MAGIC 2017, so if he isn't attending that, what other public platform is on the horizon to show off Shenmue 3.
- December is the anniversary month for the Japanese and European release of Shenmue.

These are all the positive points to increase the positivity that Shenmue 3 will be at the event. But they don't garauntee it. If it doesn't get shown, I will be super disappointed, but it's not impossible that it wont be shown.
by Peter
Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I never thought I'd see the day that Sega would post about Shenmue lol My stomach went crazy when I spotted it:

by SheepheadCG
Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What kind of shops do you think will be in this game?

Nice ideas I messaged YS Net about Sitting and Eating in Shenmue III and they said they might add it so maybe you can use the food stalls!
by khmlight3
Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Playstation Experience - December 2016

Logically it would make the most sense to be at PSX, I'm still very hopeful. A few months ago there were a good amount of confirmed titles I was made aware of, it wasn't one of them. This very well could have changed since then, based on the knowledge of Suzuki-san being in the area around the same time, I think it's looking plausible. Either way we are going to see something soon, that much we know. Fingers crossed for PSX though.

Without a doubt, I'm with you. It also wasn't said it wouldn't be there, just that it was not mentioned alongside many confirmed titles which didn't seem hopeful at the time. But like we said, many things change last minute with these shows, for better or worse. Fingers crossed, I still feel hopeful.
by Yama
Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spaghetti wrote:It's Schrödinger's Shenmue!

by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 - 30 most anticipated games in 2017 by Den of

Yokosuka wrote:
Unlike its previous titles, Shenmue 3 will offer advanced mechanics, improved graphics and plenty of scope for the gameplay.

When you think about it, Shenmue 2's failure to offer 15 years of graphical improvements over Shenmue 1 was really, really lazy.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So from 90%, we move to 95% chance. Next step: a tweet from the master.
by Yokosuka
Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status/802201635854368768

@CedricBiscay As a Shenmue fan, do you recommend me to tune in to the Playstation Experience '16 livestream? :D
@TangoGWfan hmmm today my answer is yes but we never know ;)

8)

Wow! This almost confirm it for psx! I suppose he does not want to say a straight yes for not spoil the surprise and just in case they could not be at psx for any reason but, this almost confirm they will be there! I'm hyped as hell! \:D/ :D
by Hazuki00
Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh cool, he answered my question :D

The hype train cannot be stopped
by Rikitatsu
Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Just a couple of days after Sega Europe tweeted about Shenmue II anniversary, Sega of Japan tweeted about Dreamcast anniversary:

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/statu ... 3886281728
by celsowm
Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hype hype hype hype bypehypehylebyleheeheusl

*turns into a puddle of drool*
by Himuro
Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I do hope there will be an update... kind of a cryptic one... just for the fun of making the last days before PSX unbearable :mrgreen:
Imagine if it was just a single screenshot of the current build. :-o

A picture says a thousand words, after all.

If there's going to be a trailer that blows everyone away with the progress they've made, then I'd prefer we all went into it completely cold for maximum impact. No preview shot hinting at what it will look like.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Digital Foundry Retro: Shenmue 2 - A Masterpiece Revisited

phpBB [video]
by Raithos
Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Man, interesting things are happening this month with Sega on Social Medias:

- Sega Europe remembered the Shenmue Anniversary
- Sega Japan remembered the Dreamcast Anniversary
- Sega Europe "liked" some tweets about Shenmue HD
- Sega US updated its Facebook's profile (and they are answering almost all questions there)

I know, I know, probably all this means nothing, but still very, very stranger...
by celsowm
Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2am I should get some sleep but the excitement has completely taken over. I can't stop refreshing the cache and feelng happy at seeing no changelogs.

Fuck this is actually the first I've been a sad twat, constantly refreshing something since the E3 topic pf 2004, and the Adam Doree topic back in 2005.

But I watched the old members gallery video earlier, and it was a stark reminder of how long we have been here, where we have came from, and what we have gone through to get here. We are on the cusp of something we have desired for almost 15 years. Fuck!!!
by Peter
Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

iyapol wrote: Seeing as we're all aboard the hype train, how funny would it be if Shenmue III was a no show at PEX? : )

Well, it would be a little funny. And then I would probably start cursing out Awesome Japan to make me feel better.

(It’s always their fault… even when it isn’t)
by punkmanced
Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter update #62: Yu Suzuki & The Music of Shenmue

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1751809

日本語の記事はこちらです。

Hello Everyone!

Shenmue would not be Shenmue without the music. The right song sets the tempo and the atmosphere, immersing you in the world and the moment.

This month, Yu-san gives an interview on the process of choosing music in the world of Shenmue, his experience and influences with music, and what music means in the creation of a game. Please enjoy!

https://youtu.be/2ePkAKD3gUI

Music heard at 3:06 in the update video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4MyNqI0fo
by Peter
Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

After the forklift incident from E3, there's not a hope in hell they would have been allowed to even hint at a PSX appearance.

Don't let the update deter you.
by Peter
Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #62: Yu Suzuki & The Music of Shenmue

Kintor wrote: Wow, Yu Suzuki knows how to play and write music as well? I had no idea. The man is just insanely talented.

He knows his morning drinking, too.

My man.
by InsanityIsCrazy
Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #62: Yu Suzuki & The Music of Shenmue

Spaghetti wrote:
Peter wrote: He put on some music whilst we were at the back of the bus for the dinner. I can't remember what it was he played though.

Darude - Sandstorm.

Then he turned out the lights and handed out glowsticks and E.

E is for Tim Schafer. Suzuki is hardcore. Ket all the way chap.
by Peter
Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

By the way, I was thinking about L.A dinner, If Yu showed shenmue 3 material to the backers it's obvious he'll do it again in that dinner, and it should be new material besides what they are supposed to show at psx, right?
Are some of these backers from the dojo?
They are phantoms. No one knows who they are. Seriously.
How did we find out back in June that the LA dinner was moved to December?

I emailed asking why there wasn't an update on the LA backers dinner. Once they said it was moved from June to December, I suspected they were planning something for PSX.
by Amir
Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic