Search found 168 matches

Return

Re: A first-timer's opinion on Shenmue

That is what I fear with S3 from the ending of S2, I am not much into chi/magic stuff, not when the first two games were so realistic.
I also hope that the fighting stays more or less realistic. Yu did say though in an interview that he didn't plan to make it too magical.

The one thing I did not like for sure was how they did the Quick Time Events. Half the time I was either looking at my controller or trying to pay attention to the screen for the buttons to press and not the actual action
Isn't that the case for most games with QTE sequences?

The kitten was basically worthless. You could hardly do anything with it. It was about as useless as a Tamagotchi or a Chao.
I think that the main purpose was to increase the living world feeling. Yu mentioned that adding smaller things like that makes it more realistic. Just like being able to knock on doors, people going home at night, etc.

And it needed both more arcade games and more home console games. More jobs would of been nice as well. I appreciated the allowance, but that fork lifting job was a pain.
Wasn't the inclusion of such games inside a game already a big deal at the time? Being one of the pioneering games it's maybe acceptable that they couldn't include more? Later games had the advantage of building on that with more powerful hardware.
As for the jobs. I once read that Yu wanted the player to feel the same as Ryo. Just like the airing of books.
by ys
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

PC gamer posted

"One big question is how the old graphics will be upgraded for the PC release: What the games will scale to, how (or if) the textures have been upgraded, and what PC-specific options will be supported."
Years ago I read an interview with Yu where he mentioned that the game assets were created in higher resolutions than what we saw in the game. This was done "in case of" so to speak.

So a quick question about the game graphics. Are they remastered in HD or is this a port upscaled? I keep seeing conflicting reports.
I'm not sure how you define "remastering in HD" versus "upscaling a port"? Would changing textures be remastering in your view? I work with audio (similar principle for graphics/video) where remastering is generally altering a finished product to make it more polished or playable on different systems. In this case the games will run at a higher resolution with added language options and different control schemes,... So it seems to be more of a remaster than a straight port.
by ys
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic