Search found 126 matches

Return

Re: Kickstarter Update #61: Halloween Greetings

Sure hope we'll see Ryo's final model...

I can't be the only one that's uncomfortable when this picture is always used in gaming websites if there's news about Shenmue 3:

Shenmue 3 really need some proper keyart
by Rikitatsu
Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The New Combat System

All signs point to the combat system in Shenmue 3 being radically different than the previous two games.

Here's what I gathered (If I missed something/got something wrong, please remind/correct me, and I'll update the OP)

- It's mixture of Free Battle and QTE, called 'Battle QTE'

- Once you get a move scroll, you can use the move immediately in battle in the form of a QTE.

- The combat is supposed to be slower, 'more realistic'... Yu Suzuki says the previous combat system had unnatural and fast movements, he'd like to change that in Shenmue 3 by making things slower and more natural.

- There is supposed to be a strategic element involved in the fighting, like more emphasis on positioning and drawing enemies out

- They are aiming to allow fights to take place in confined and tight spaces like on staircases or alleyways.

- They're should be a lot of physics interactions in the environment, something falls over and triggers a chain reaction where it knocks others things off.

- There is a system that allows enemies to discover you, if for example 5 enemies see you, those 5 enemies will chase you down and you can lure them to an alleyway or a place where you can minimize their advantage.

- Shenmue 2 had focused on Northern Kung Fu like BajiQuan, which had 'larger movements'... According to Suzuki, Shenmue 3 will focus on the Southern Kung Fu like Wing Chun, which are suited for close range fighting... These type of martial arts can be used in confined spaces.

- The combat will be very different to the point that players who are used to the old combat system will have to re-learn a lot. They're will be 'Quite a lot of changes'.

My personal thoughts:
Part of me wants to believe and trust in Yu Suzuki, what he's describing sounds good on paper, a more strategic, slow and cinematic approach isn't necessarily bad... Although a lot of games seem to go through that path and the results have been mostly disappointing... I guess Sleeping Dogs was fun but I would never trade the VF combat in Shenmue 1&2 for that.

I really, truly believe the Shenmue 1&2 combat to be the best in it's genre... It's only held back by the dodgy camera, otherwise it's simply flawless... And that's why most of Suzuki said above worries me, he sill might come up with another flawless combat system, but what are the chances? Stuff like QTE mid-battle sounds fine if it was in the same vein as Shenmue 2... But if it's becomes too frequent I fear it may damage the pace of the fighting.... Slower movement? Ehhhh... Focus on Southern Kung Fu? I loved the BajiQuan moves in Shenmue 2, I'm gonna miss it..

I'm anxious to see it in action, hopefully it retains the essence of the old Free Battle.
by Rikitatsu
Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The New Combat System

Ragdoll is pretty much in every game now, in fact, you could just enable it by checking a box in UE4. So I wondered why Suzuki was making a big deal out of it (to even have it as a stretch goal...).

I guess it might be advanced ragdolls like Rockstars games, but I wonder how that will benefit the combat exactly.
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of ragdolls... I like them when they're blended with regular animations. Like if you kick a guy in his abdomen, an animation plays where he falls on his knees grabbing his stomach, and then the ragdoll physics are activated and he falls down.

If it was applied like that, it would be great.

If I remember correctly, Yu talked about the ragdoll and it's something similar as you have said. It´s an improved version of the ragdoll reaction.
Oh yeah, I just remembered he said that before. Pretty cool!
Just having regular ragdolls would've been terrible.
by Rikitatsu
Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Ryo (and Shenmue) on Sega Japan Oficial Poll

I voted Virtua Fighter... Please don't kill me...plz

We got Shenmue 3 coming and Shenmue 1&2 is being 'seriously considered' by SEGA... But Virtua Fighter's fate is currently unknown... Seriously, where's VF6?!1!?
by Rikitatsu
Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

On the subject of Ryo's model, I have a controversial opinion.
I really dislike the passport model and I hope whatever they have in Shenmue 3 doesn't resemble it.

Let me explain, I think the passport models are very detailed, especially at the time, taking that into account, the models are indeed impressive. But I think Ryo's in-game model has better facial features, better bone structure, basically better everything despite being less detailed. So I would rather have them draw influence from that instead of the passport model.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk430/verdantf/untitled.jpg

VS

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/shenmue/images/a/a6/Ryo_after_chasing_Cool_Z.png/revision/latest?cb=20140128015615
by Rikitatsu
Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 nominated at the Golden Joystick Awards 2016

What has Overwatch so special? Is really that fun? This game is grabbing all the awards.
I used to ask the same question, until a friend pressured me into buying it... I have to say it's easily the best Multiplayer FPS out there. Extremely polished with a diverse set of characters that are really fun to play.

Worth the full price, I say.

Honestly I was planning to get BF1 or Titanfall 2, but after playing Overwatch I have no desire to play other Multiplayer FPSs.
by Rikitatsu
Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh cool, he answered my question :D

The hype train cannot be stopped
by Rikitatsu
Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hazuki00 wrote: I don't know if it has been already said, but, apart from the streaming Peter is going to do, is the show going to be recorded? I'm afraid I won't be able to watch it in direct...

Yeah, it'll be recorded, don't worry...
by Rikitatsu
Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #62: Yu Suzuki & The Music of Shenmue

Ziming wrote: Music heard at 3:06 in the update video

phpBB [video]

I dunno about you guys, but I would be more than OK if this was Bailu's FREE music.
by Rikitatsu
Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

alexironaek wrote: HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEE ALL ABOVE THE HYPE TRAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN.

by Rikitatsu
Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but seems like Shenmue 3 got pulled out of PSX at the last minute :sad:

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status/802201635854368768
by Rikitatsu
Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The wait is hard as f***!

How long does it last today's presentation? 2 hours?
1 hour.
Shorter than last year's PSX which I think was a an hour and a half.
The show is either gonna be fast paced and packed... Or they have not much to show.

Either way, as long as Shenmue 3 is shown, the event will deliver... At least for me.
Any showing of FF7R, Ace Combat 7, and REMake 2, is gonna be a nice extra.
by Rikitatsu
Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How big do you think the Open World will be?

Since the game did not reach 10 million yet do you think you will be able to explore all of Baisha, Bailu and Choubu?
Sure you will.
But I don't think they will be particularly large.

Bailu will probably be Harbour-sized, most of it will be open fields.
We heard Choubu will be Dobuita-sized, it's more urban than Bailu, so I expect a lot of tight alleys and numerous buildings
Baisha? No one knows about it, but it's likely smaller than Choubu, so somewhere in between... It's the only location that met all of it's stretch goals, so I'm expecting it to be really fleshed out though.

There is also the forest, which will be 4x4km.... That's pretty big.

All in all, I expect a game between Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 in terms of scope.
by Rikitatsu
Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's understandable that people are upset. Cedric Biscay himself recommended us as Shenmue fans to watch the PSX livestream... The least he could have done is go on Twitter saying "We're sorry, but please don't expect to see S3 on PSX tomorrow, plans have changed"

But nope. Nothing.

I'm still butthurt from last night

Well, let's hope we see it in the Christmas update, and not another round of "Look at how much fun these privileged Shenmue 3 backers are having with Suzuki, you won't BELIEVE what they saw on his laptop!"
by Rikitatsu
Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kiske wrote:
But look at the bright side... no Shenmue 3 spoiler whatsoever so far! :P

Plus, Shenmue 3 stays in the oven a little longer before we can see it.
by Rikitatsu
Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow I did it know that about Cedric. I dont know much about anything really, so please, tell me more! By the way, where has listening to the guy "in the know" got you? Has it had a positive effect on your wait for Shenmue 3?
Evidently not, but I find it silly that you tell people to disregard his statements, considering he's in such a high position.

Anyway, him being wrong with PSX wasn't the issue.. After all, it could be something out of their control... Like Sony refusing them the time slot. To assume Cedric was clueless and was bullshitting you with that PSX tweet is some serious disrespect towards the guy.

The issue was he didn't notify the fans of it's absence after teasing it's presence on Twitter... He had no obligation to, of course. But we could have avoided the all the drama if were notified before hand... It would have still been disappointing, but the blow would've been softer, at least.

It should have been apparent to us that a "Producer" halfway across the world that doesn't even speak the same language as the developer would not be the most reliable source of information, but whatever.

Really, living in another country isn't an issue in this day and age. People stay connected thanks to modern technology. It's such a non-issue... Hundreds of Japanese developers have Producers/Publishers who are based abroad, this has never been a problem.

Also, I'm 80% sure Cedric speaks Japanese, even if he didn't. Language isn't a problem... His company is Japan focused, he won't have any issue connecting with Ysnet.
by Rikitatsu
Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't be listening to Cedric Biscay on Twitter. He isn't PR for YSNET and he shouldn't be blamed for anything you were expecting to happen, not happening.
Cedric is the CEO of Shibuya Productions, the company that is publishing and (partially) funding Shenmue 3.
He has plenty of say in where the game will be showcased, just as any publisher would.

Cedric himself is a producer on Shenmue 3, he would know about plans for a PSX showcase... He isn't just some guy in France that helped Shenmue 3 happen. He is hands-on with the logistics and financial aspects of the project, as the job of a producer dictates.

He is in the "know", and almost certainly in contact with Suzuki on a regular bases. So when he says the game will be featured in PSX, anyone would believe him. There is no reason to suggest that he is clueless to the workings of Ysnet.
by Rikitatsu
Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Voice Acting

As a non-native English speaker, I also agree with Yokosuka.

Yes, there are weird lines and hilarious accents, but in general, the way characters talk in Shenmue 1 & 2 felt more realistic, than say, Uncharted or TLoU. It probably has to do with the script though.

In Uncharted/TLoU, everyone is trying to outsnark the other, and almost every line is written to sound 'cool"...
In Shenmue, NPCs talk the way I expect real people to talk... No snark, no pretension, people are moderately polite.

That is my take as a non-native English speaker, and I'm sure Native Speakers will disagree with me.

I also think the over the top accents and hilarious lines are part of the fun, and they never ever bothered me
by Rikitatsu
Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Care of Team Yu, a beautiful Shenmue & campaign timeline

We really have come a long way...

I still remember getting over the moon after each Shenmue 3 rumor posted by Kiyuu. By 2010 I literally lost hope in Shenmue 3 ever materializing. I didn't even give the forklift tease from Suzuki any attention. In my mind, it was impossible.

The announcement at E3 2015 was such a shock to me... Not only Suzuki is making Shenmue 3, (a game, not a manga or a novel), but he also has some AM2 veterans there to help him.

To this day, the fact that we're getting Shenmue 3 hasn't sunk in, yet. It probably will when I see it running in all it's glory.
by Rikitatsu
Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: virtua fighter characters in shenmue 3?

Yokosuka wrote: ^lol

In the opposite direction, Xiuying Hong was supposed to be a Virtua Fighter character first.

Xiuying would have been an amazing VF character!
by Rikitatsu
Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What ~*May*~ Be Coming in December's Kickstarter Update

Actually I'm not a fan of the passport models... Especially Ryo and Xiuying.
In-game Ryo is less detailed, but I like his facial features better...
His head is a bit rounder compared to passport, which looks weirdly elongated. In-game Ryo's facial features are also more spaced out in comparison.

I just think he looks better overall.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/shenmue/images/a/a6/Ryo_after_chasing_Cool_Z.png/revision/latest?cb=20140128015615

There is also the fact that we're used to playing as the in-game Ryo, so seeing the new model resembling it will make the continuity aspect feel stronger.
by Rikitatsu
Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What ~*May*~ Be Coming in December's Kickstarter Update

shredingskin wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote: Seems like Yama is one of the people who went to the dinner... I wonder if he's allowed to talk about what he saw.

How do you know that ?

https://twitter.com/Shenmue_Dojo/status ... 4024938496
by Rikitatsu
Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

I don't really see how you can deduce a Mini-Game from that random ass screenshot, but it's OK. I don't feel like pissing in peoples cereals any longer.
by Rikitatsu
Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unfortunately, it has been too common seeing that they're spending the time on producing HDR imagery and intricate texturing, only to collage an image of Ryo's original face onto a new 3D model, as an example in misdriven effort out of many.
Going to dig up the workflow slide to give context to this again. The function testing bit is effectively the period we've come out of, the prototyping.

http://i.imgur.com/yFYMBLS.png

This should elaborate why game world elements have current priority over character models. It's also a bigger job than working on a character model, which is why it has been loaded towards the earlier part of development rather than the latter.
What do you think the 3D character modelers have been doing so far, If I may ask?
by Rikitatsu
Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What kind of minigames do you think will be in this game

I sure hope they don't put mini-games that doesn't mesh well with the game's setting just to please the fans. If forklifts are too urban for Chobou, then I'd rather not see them. Nor an arcade.

I'm guessing there will be board games, gambling... Maybe some mini-game that has something to do with farming in Bailu. I can't remember exactly, but Shenhua said something about a job in Shenmue 2 that involves the fields, I forgot what she said, but I remember thinking "I bet I'm going to work there when I arrive at Bailu".
by Rikitatsu
Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just love how Miyawaki stuck with that 90s/early 00's manga artstyle. :heart:
by Rikitatsu
Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 4Gamer.net Yu Suzuki Interview

Thanks for translating this!

The Grandmaster,huh... I hope the game won't end up full of slo-mo scenes, really dislike that shit.
by Rikitatsu
Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

REALLY hope it's a bundled release with Shenmue 1 and 2. Otherwise people who thought Shenmue 1 was slow and a tad uneventful will miss out on 2, where the series really opens.
by Rikitatsu
Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

I think it's safe to say that there's no credibility behind the twitter source.

One fact we can't ignore, though, is that a real life games store, albeit a relatively obsure Slovakian one, is confidently taking €50 off its customers for pre-orders of the HD games.

If this is nothing more than a publicity stunt, then taking money off customers for a game that hasn't been officially confirmed is risky business - if not illegal.
Yeah I know what you mean. I had suspected that they've seen the news of the domain registries and considered it solid evidence of a release so fired up a placeholder as soon as possible to capitalise on the news.

But what gets me is the specified release date in April instead of a TBC. That confuses me.

It's definitely very odd and it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
One way to figure out the legitimacy of this site, is to pinpoint when the pre-order page was created... If it's been there before the domain registration news (Yesterday), it's probably legit.

I checked the Wayback Machine, but it doesn't have the page archived...
by Rikitatsu
Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 demo

A demo will absolutely provide valuable feedback, considering it will go out to mostly Shenmue fans (Who backed with that expensive reward tier)... And I trust Shenmue fans to know what's best for the series.

I do hope they release one a long while before the game comes out, so they'd have time to make adjustments in response to the feedback.
by Rikitatsu
Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

That Slovakian rumor said the remasters are coming in April, the new rumor says the remasters are practically finished.

The stars are aligning folks! :P
by Rikitatsu
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 for the Nintendo Switch

I can't get behind this, sorry.
The Switch is almost a generation behind the PS4, and Ysnet would have to redesign a lot of assets and do a lot more work in order to make it run decently on the Switch... For how small Ysnet is and their limited budget, it will be an almost impossible task.

That said, I can get behind a Shenmue 1/2 remastered for the Switch, the more people can experience those games, the better.
by Rikitatsu
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 - Game Informer Super Replay

- Hello everyone this Andrew Reiner and Kyle Hilliard here and welcome back to Shenmue 2!!
- Why are we here Kyle? I don't even know what we're looking for.
- *Goes on about some real-life tangent/ or joke-y banter*
- Right, let's get back to the game... Uh, where should we go *Check strategy guide*
- Go to building X, let's find an NPC to walk us there (at a snail's pace)
- *Important cutscene occurs, talk all over said cutscene*
- I don't even know what happened! Who's Zhu? Why are you we looking for this guy heh
- *More real-life tangents/banter over important dialogue/cutscenes throughout the whole playthrough
- *Credits roll*
- Man, Shenmue is kinda boring huh? :???:
by Rikitatsu
Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: S3 gameplay - Movement style and controls

@SuzukiYu

Totally agree with you there. The camera in the previous games have augmented the immersion, the player's view is always in line with Ryo's.

And if you start appealing to modern reviewers "standards" I'm afraid you'll have to strip down a lot of what made Shenmue special in the first place... I doubt it'll be the critics' darling, so why appease to them at the expense of the fanbase? I'm all for making the game hospitable to newcomers, but definitely not at the expense of diluting the game's elements.
by Rikitatsu
Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2 - Game Informer Super Replay

Kowloon's ending was extremely climactic, I was shocked to realize that it wasn't the end of the game back when I played it. Too bad they spoiled it for themselves by reading the strategy guide...

I wonder if they will like Guilin... It might just be my favorite part about the game personally. But they do seem rather impatient and just want to get to point B... They might ruin it for themselves if they start rushing through it and skipping the optional dialogue... Hell, I can see them skipping the non-optional dialogue as well.
by Rikitatsu
Thu May 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

I'm usually the pessimist who's the first to criticise anything I dislike in those updates, but damn, that model is fantastic. Yes, the skin shader is a little plasticity, giving it a more cartoony look, but otherwise it's great. A great mix between the realistic and the stylized, basically what Shenmue is all about.

Not surprised at the E3 no show, the development isn't going according to schedule, that much is clear. Otherwise we'd already be playing the trial version, let alone not seeing any proper trailer.
by Rikitatsu
Mon May 29, 2017 8:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People who aren't satisfied with the model, can you elaborate in detail why? Most of the posts I've read were "It doesn't feel like Shenmue" or "It's too cartoony"... I'm trying to understand why people would think so, and the only thing I can see is the skin shader being a little plasticky... That's pretty much it. And that is something that can easily be improved.

The face, proportions, and clothing are fine.The overall design is 100% the Shenmue I know and love. They translated the design from concept art to 3D model incredibly well. He is supposed to be this weird, overly muscular character with a creepy smile, I can't imagine him looking better than he already does in 3D. This bodes well for the rest of the characters, I say.
by Rikitatsu
Tue May 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People who aren't satisfied with the model, can you elaborate in detail why? Most of the posts I've read were "It doesn't feel like Shenmue" or "It's too cartoony"... I'm trying to understand why people would think so, and the only thing I can see is the skin shader being a little plasticky... That's pretty much it. And that is something that can easily be improved.

The face, proportions, and clothing are fine.The overall design is 100% the Shenmue I know and love. They translated the design from concept art to 3D model incredibly well. He is supposed to be this weird, overly muscular character with a creepy smile, I can't imagine him looking better than he already does in 3D. This bodes well for the rest of the characters, I say.

https://s15.postimg.org/4futp723f/demforearms.png
https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/screen_kubrick/mig/5/4/5/7/2105457-169_wwe_all_stars_video_review_multi_040111_1.jpg

Proportions are far from fine in my opinion. I feel like in the past the 3D modelers tried to ground the concept art (the Joy example was good), but now they make it look even more outlandish hence it doesn't mesh well with the environment.

http://i.imgur.com/m0q9953.jpg

It's just the pose that's making it look awkward (They played some stock animations to try and find any issues with the model) I don't see anything wrong with the proportions themselves, I assume the red line implies you think his arm is relatively short compared to his body? It doesn't look that short to me, especially when you look at it from another angle.

http://i.imgur.com/fTufph2.png

Also, that picture of him inserted in a S3 environment is photoshopped, so clearly he won't fit in there... I'm sure you know this. The lighting on him will change completely if he was actually placed in that environment properly in-engine.
by Rikitatsu
Tue May 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170531/tt7ceql5.jpg

Original:
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170531/2dpwigy9.jpg

I really hope this is by FAR not the final design because after two years to see this kind of character design is disappointing for me :(
Sorry mate, you sucked all the character from that model with that Photoshop.
by Rikitatsu
Wed May 31, 2017 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What would make you not play the game?

Nothing...
Honestly, I thought about it a bit, but even if the game turns out to be a huge disappointment on every level, I'll still get it to know the story.
by Rikitatsu
Mon May 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who needs Shenmue 3?

Don't you think it's a superficial comparison?

No.

Explore realistic Japanese town, engage in fenced-in fisticuffs against single or multiple enemies, learn new moves, enter shops to buy items, play games in arcades, engage in a range of tasks for the locals, seek out the truth behind a violent, sinister plot that's dragged you in against your will and threatens to hurt more of the people you care about.

Change "Japanese Town" with "Chinese Town" and you just described Sleeping Dogs.
Like I said, it is superficial, once you actually put those games side to side, the comparison falls apart. I just wanna comment on a few parts:

Explore realistic Japanese town
Yokosuka is no where near close to Kamurocho in tone, feel, and aesthetics. One is a pleasure/night life quarter and the other is a quiet and homely town.

The exploration of said towns/districts is vastly different between the two games. In Shenmue, NPC's can all be interacted with, a lot of them have vital information necessary to proceed through the game, some just assist you with the current objective, most of them are useful and not just randomly spawned nobodies. Oh, fully voiced too.

Kamurocho's inhabitants are just crowds... There to fill the streets.

Kamurocho also doesn't sleep, the shops never close, that NPC quest giver will stand there, day and night, waiting for you... The realism aspect in Yakuza is weak in comparison. It's Game-y, Arcade-y, which is TOTALLY fine. But dramatically different than Shenmue.

engage in fenced-in fisticuffs against single or multiple enemies
I could count the FREE battles in Shenmue 1 on my toes and fingers... Yakuza is pretty much 90% battles... Walking the streets for 20 seconds prompt a battle. It's a brawler/ARPG. Shenmue is an adventure game. Where battles count, and actually story related. Just because you punch people in the face doesn't make it comparable... (Again, that applies to Sleeping Dogs).

enter shops to buy items

Like most open world/semi-open world games these days?... Anyway:

Shenmue allows you to meticulously explore even the tiniest details in every store, even if it doesn't sell anything... A lot of the stores in the game are open for you. Yakuza just allow you to walk in a portion of a store, with a fixed camera, and the option to talk to the shopkeeper to refill your health/heat.
by Rikitatsu
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm getting tired of the Yakuza fanbase putting down Shenmue in order to promote the series.

I just finished Yakuza 0, great game, the best since 3, but it's a completely different experience from Shenmue. It's not even comparable. How can a realistic action adventure game where you spend most of the time doing detective work, be compared to an over the top action RPG/brawler, where you spend most of the time beating up hordes of goons. Not one second when I played Yakuza 0 was I even reminded of Shenmue.

Like, seriously how can you play Yakuza and think 'this is shenmue'... So dumb and superficial.
by Rikitatsu
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's because they both have mini games and involve your character walking around a big, "realistic" city. I don't think it's that ridiculous
It IS very ridiculous. Don't you think it's a superficial comparison?

They are vastly different in mechanics, aesthetics, tone, storytelling, etc... ? But somehow it's comparable because you control an asian dude and walk around doing mini-games in a small Japanese town/district.
by Rikitatsu
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Choubu looks great (and whomever takes these shots has a hard on for Sunsets)... it doesn't look as urban as I imagined.. Is it even a real town in China or fictional? Maybe it's no even in Guilin.
by Rikitatsu
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fan-Edits & Tweaks of New Images Thread

http://i.imgur.com/iAxMgxd.jpg

Nothing too special. Used the existing parts on the model and made a few minor adjustments. I think it looks respectable enough for a quick dick around in Photoshop, and that the new model itself is largely on-track for getting where it needs to be.
http://i.imgur.com/UdhFrcT.png
by Rikitatsu
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic