Search found 564 matches

Return

Re: Famitsu scans

I might work on the translation once its in my hands!
by Axm
Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's official - Sony helping develop and publish Shenmue

Agreed about the main page. The Dojo used to be THE place to go for Shenmue news...can more of the fresh information be posted on the main page, with more room to view past news, like it used to be? These are exciting times, I'd rather read Shenmue news here than on Facebook or gaming sites.
by Supa
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's official - Sony helping develop and publish Shenmue

Though Suzuki said that despite the evolution of open world game design since Shenmue 1 and 2 shipped, he doesn’t have any plans to alter the way Shenmue 3 will play to keep up with the times, aiming for a feel similar to the original games.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/8795017/shenmue-on-a-budget

The more Suzuki talks about Shenmue 3 -- the more at ease I feel about the project turning into something that I'll be happy with.
by Thief
Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

The only concern I have about Shenmue 3 is that it'll end up being too modern.
Seems like so many people want it to be updated with modern gaming ideas and all, but I just want it to be as much like the old games as possible, honestly. I'd like to be able to play through S1 and 2, dive into S3, and have it feel like a smooth transition, almost like it was made directly after the previous ones.
I don't want it to actually feel like 15 years have passed when I start playing it, if that makes sense.
by OL
Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We should clear up the misunderstanding about Sony's fun

As I've said in a previous thread, the fact of the matter is, NONE OF US know exactly how much external funding this game is getting. It's all speculation at the moment, that's as much as we do know!

Until that time comes, all we have is the KickStarter, that's the only thing at the moment that is giving us real monetary values!

That's why we cannot assume that others are heavily funding this game until we know for sure. From the sounds of things we will never know for sure.

Therefore we MUST keep promoting the KickStarter and getting the word out there. That's the only option we have. We can't take the risk of making assumptions that others are behind this heavily!
by Luke_09
Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dojo Donors Please Read

Thank you for donating to the Shenmue Dojo! To gain access to special privileges after donating please follow the steps below:

Select User Control Panel

http://i.imgur.com/ute3NJ3.jpg

Go to the User Groups tab

http://i.imgur.com/RN9bo1g.jpg

Check the current Donor group, select 'join selected' and click submit

http://i.imgur.com/xr8Kv9C.jpg

Done!

*Each year will have a new color. If you donated towards a past year and prefer the color, you can select it despite donating towards the current year.*
by Yama
Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 million

Never in a million years is this Kickstarter going to get even close to that. Open up a PayPal and take donations afterwards and maybe it'll reach it in a few months with Shenmue fans donating a good portion of their fucking annual salary toward it.

It's a shame because if the Kickstarter was done properly I think it'd have had a decent chance of getting $10M by itself. I'm really annoyed by Awesome Japan - due to their complete and utter incompetence, they're now asking Shenmue fans to pledge far more than they can possibly afford, otherwise we get a bare-bones version of the game we've been waiting 14 years for.

Seriously, fuck these shit cunts.

Erm, this kind of attitude doesn't exactly help. Have you actually bothered messaging YS Net on kickstarter?

Guys this is the first few days of the campaign. We have all waited 14 years for this so why are you willing to give up so easily?
by b_ren
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We need to get Microsoft involved in Shenmue 3

If Microsoft would be willing to port it themselves to Xbox One, sure, but otherwise, this will surely drive UP costs for Shenmue 3 and that's the last thing we need right now with a $10 million goal...

I'd personally really like to see it on Xbox One too, since the buttons on the Xbox controller are as close to the Dreamcasts as we are ever going to get (like with the QTEs), plus to get a bigger audience.
by Henry Spencer
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We need to get Microsoft involved in Shenmue 3

I think it would be a slap in the face to Sony if Microsoft got involved. They were the ones who helped this become a reality. Not Microsoft.
by myshtuff
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How Do You Feel Knowing AM2 Aren't Involved?

I really trust this team. It's actually the least of my worries atm. They got this. ;)
by Axm
Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Sonoshee wrote: The KS pledges seem to have shot up in the last few hours from around $3,390,000 to $3,412,000. I think everyone's hard work on getting this KS more noticed is starting to pay off. \:D/

I donated my amount finally.
by Henry Spencer
Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 million

quick. everyone go out and buy lottery tickets

LOL Ikr? I was thinking last night if I had those millions, I'd drop pretty much everything I had into making the remaining games needed to finish the story the way Suzuki intended.

Haha, same, tbh i'm pretty surprised that there isn't 1 mega filthy rich super fan that could drop a huge donation in like 6 mil :D...where it's like a tenner to them. Do non of these premier league footballers play any video games besides fifa ](*,) ??
by James Brown
Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "$30 on the 3rd" - ROAD TO $10 MILLION

I just tweeted it on the dojo's twitter page.
https://twitter.com/Shenmue_Dojo

Shenmue Dojo's Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShenmueDojo

Shenmue Fan's Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShenmueFans
by Ziming
Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Refrain from Infighting

This is not necessarily related to Shenmue 3 itself, but more the campaign and everything surrounding it.

Understandably, many people are excited and passionate for the game, and of course, many people have their worries or their criticisms about the marketing in regards to the Kickstarter campaign, and Sony's involvement, among other things. I just want to remind everyone to keep a clear, rational head about all of this. Remember that we all want the same thing; for Shenmue 3 to be good as it possibly can be given the odds. Bickering over trivialities and trying to be the right one in an argument can be counterproductive to the campaign itself if we're not concentrated on pushing this current Kickstarter campaign as strongly as we can. I am not saying we are not allowed to have disagreements, but don't let them get to the extent of becoming distractions from the goal. We have plenty of time to get this ball rolling, so lets not panic; keep it cool.

In the end, we're all on the same side. This goes for the forum, Twitter, Youtube, Kickstarter comments, and any other context in which we have to interact with one another. Let's try to make some history here.
by SlySpy
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re:  Guilin

How can anyone dislike Guilin? is the most charming piece of gaming history.
by Esppiral
Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The PS4 Physical Copy Issue & the $10 Million Goal Strug

I can't believe people still care about things such as time to install, having a box, etc when we are talking about FUCKING SHENMUE III!! Man, how quick the dust settles... Go back to the cave, take some time to look at the no exit sign, then come back and discuss preference. Pledge or gtfo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by Yama
Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Some serious backlash incoming in re: S3 KS campaign

They're just trolling/generating clickbait. Some godawful Gizmodo article comes up in Google News for Shenmue which honestly reads like it was written by a barely literate 12-year-old. I get why some people dislike Shenmue, and I've seen well-articulated pieces expressing such thoughts, but this was just awful, obviously got pass editorial since they knew it would make people angry, which is always good for revenue.

Just let it slide, guys, if you get angry then you've let them win.

DON'T VISIT THESE SITES. You'll only be encouraging them.
by Amir
Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Corey Marshall wants to help us

Check this part out. It seems to fit our situation.

https://youtu.be/xw6cMBzBSw0?t=229

We'd have to edit the video to skip a few parts, but if we can get someone to voice Fuku-san(shouldn't be too hard) and Corey to change a little of the dialogue it would be awesome! We'd also need someone to capture that part of the game, preferably in HD. What do y'all think?
by elfshadowreaper
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Created some hi-res Shenmue logo PNGs for general use.

Hey, I was going to do some fan-graphic design but couldn't find any high res PNGs on a quick Google search. I probably didn't look very hard though tbh. So if there are already tons of similar logos out there, then fair enough, never mind. :)

Either way, I ended up making my own. They're not perfect but if you scale them down to normal web-sizes they should look ok.

I'm posting them here so people can be free to use a high-res logo however they wish. In youtube banners, twitch overlays, facebook, twitter etc.

LOGO (black)
http://i.imgur.com/ImGDXLA.png

LOGO (white)
http://i.imgur.com/g5cPg6s.png

LOGO (phoenix)
NEW*
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/shenmuephoenix.png

LOGO (dragon)
NEW*
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/shenmuedragon.png

LOGO (Japanese)
http://i.imgur.com/EoxP0Cu.png

ART (Tiger on Ryo's Jacket)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/ryojacket2.png

And here's a fanart boxart I did for good measure showing all graphics together. Shows how they look scaled down.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/shenmueboxart3.png

Edit: If anyone is looking for something specific let me know in the replies. Like if you want a twitch banner at A x B dimensions with image C and the logo in the middle etc.

EG: http://i.imgur.com/K4XdXV1.jpg
BLANK: http://i.imgur.com/pUeeodF.jpg

Edit2: As a bonus, here's a high res box art of Sonic 3 (Japanese version)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/sonicposter.jpg

I made this as a christmas present for a friend, and there's lots of sega fans here so I suppose I'll include it here. Feel free to use it, or get a print of it etc. if you so wish.
by ash55
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TGS 2015 - Too Early?

Maaaaaaaaybe a concept art or interview, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything until February next year at the MAGIC event. It seems too early to show anything substantial. I hope we get to see how they're development is going like the documentary from double fine but I'm aware they are working with limited resources and that it may not be in their best interest...

Still though, they better keep us up to date at least once a month! :-p
by FlagshipFighter
Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live TV Show - Raising Money In Gaming

OK, great. I'll try to find a way to record that Friday episode of Nachtjournal then. Thanks for clearing that up! =D> Please note that I'm not quite sure how to do that right now, so I hope I won't screw up. I usually don't use my TV apart from watching DVDs and the occasional live football (soccer) match. :D

Anyways, if they mention Shenmue, I'll try to upload the Shenmue bit on Youtube with English subtitles for every one in the Dojo to see. Not sure if RTL will let me do that however. It's not unlikely they'll have YT delete the video for copyright reasons, but I'll try anyway. If that doesn't work I should at least be able to give everyone a written translation of what the programme said on Shenmue.
by Hyo Razuki
Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

4gamer interview - character perspective system [spoiler]

This is an interview with Yu Suzuki from the japanese site 4gamer.net published 2015-06-19.
Here translated by me.

Original article: http://www.4gamer.net/games/305/G030593/20150618126/

Among other things it brings up interesting new information about the 5 million dollar stretch goal; the character perspective system.

There is also a slight spoiler of a character that might appear, so those of you who want to play the game totally spoiler free should maybe avoid reading this.

here we go.

-- Thanks for being here.
YS: Thanks for having me. before jumping into questions I just want to make clear that Shenmue is a Kickstarter project and the scope and contents depend on the stretch goals.

-- Yeah, looking at the Kickstarter stretch goals there are the rapport system and skill tree and other added.
YS: We add more stretch goals so as more people pledge the scope of the game will get bigger. So as of now I can’t talk in detail about the mechanics of the game. What I’m able to accomplish will very much depend on the funds we can gather. I want to avoid telling too much and end up betraying those who have paid.

-- Under those circumstances, what do you want to do with Shenmue III?
YS: I want to show the relationship between Ryo and Shenhua in more detail. Even further than previous games.

-- It’s kind of hard to imagine how that would work.
YS: Maybe so. I want to to challenge myself, but new things are hard to get people to understand and therefore harder to gain support for. That’s one of the reasons we have prepared stretch goals like larger map and mini games.

-- So you made easy to understand stretch goals first.
YS: As more money comes in, the world of Shenmue III gets larger, and the game becomes more complete. But if it becomes a question of what game has the largest world, the game with the largest budget has a sure advantage. When it comes to Shenmue III, I want to ensure that there are other parts to enjoy besides just the open world aspects.

-- Can you give us any examples?
YS: At 3.2 million dollars there is the rapport system stretch goal. Actions and conversations will affect the relation between Ryo and Shenhua in subtle ways. The way Shenhua speaks and cooperate etc. will change.

-- It seems like the story could change depending on the relationship.
YS: Let’s just say that it depends on the budget. Making statements like that is just asking for trouble (laugh).

-- I get it (laugh). Could you explain the 5 million dollar stretch goal; the character perspective system?
YS: That is where the player will take control of characters like Shenhua and Ren instead of Ryo.

-- At a certain point in the game will we be able to change characters freely?
YS: I can’t talk about details yet, so I will just say that it’s not necessarily like we are letting you control the other characters exactly like Ryo.

-- So it’s not like you can just change characters at will.
YS: The personality of Ren and Shenhua is different from Ryo, so even if they see the same thing the reactions would be different. When you played as Ryo it was his decisions, but playing as Ren and Shenhua would make it very interesting.

-- Hearing that makes me even more interested (laugh).
YS: I’m unable to describe it any more until the 5 million dollar stretch goal is reached, so I’ll stop here for today.

-- By the way, will the story end with this part.
YS: To tell the truth, the original story is too long to end here. So I decided against trying to fit it all in to Shenmue III.

-- Which means that after the Shenmue III project has been finished we have to wait for the the next part.
YS: First we have to do our best to make Shenmue III a solid game.

-- Let’s leave the appearance of Shenmue III and talk about the backend. Can you tell us why you chose to use Unreal Engine 4?
YS: It’s because it’s easy to use and fits with how I imagine Shenmue to look. There are like rendering tendencies for the different engines, and the base colors of Unreal Engine 4 added with “dampness and scent” makes it Shenmue.

-- Are the colors you imagine the same as with the first two parts?
YS: Of course. Shenmue had that air humidity feeling well presented and it had a smell too. That’s what I aim for with Shenmue III.

-- So you’re saying that if you take a scenery out of the game and look at it you’d be able to say “That’s Shenmue!”?
YS: Yeah, That’s what I want to do. But the promotional video we made for Kickstarter felt dry. Kind of ended up like the Californian humidity level (laugh).

-- Your idea of the exact colors or the “scent” of the graphics, is it hard to convey that to the developers?
YS: It it very very hard to explain it. It’s like trying to explain what a melon is to someone who only has seen watermelons and mandarins. Well, you can say the size is about in the middle, but trying to explain the taste is very hard.

-- With that said, do you have members from the former parts working on Shenmue III?
YS: Yes. So we have the original members that kind of know what Shenmue is about.

-- After fifteen years, it’s quite the thing to bring everyone together again.
YS: I think so. Everyone has gone independent or changed their positions, but even at this stage when the scope of the production isn’t set in stone they have gladly offered to join. That’s really heartwarming.

-- It feels like the relationship is deeper than what you could expect from work colleges.
YS: That’s because Shenmue was a project that was more than just work. Ten years after the development of Shenmue II we had this get-together and more than 100 people came.

-- That’s amazing. I’m not sure if I would call that just a get-together.

-- The level of creativity in the games you have created is often very high. Is there any secret to this?
YS: No. I never play games outside work, so I don’t get that influenced by other games. Maybe that’s the reason.

-- I had this idea that you researched other games thorough and tried to make something different, but I guess that’s not true then.
YS: Yeah. it easier to just make something from zero (laugh).

-- So maybe If someone from the media like me hear an explanation for a game and say “Is it like the mechanics from that other game?” you might not be able to get it?
YS: I’m sorry, but I guess that’s true. Well, maybe I have to study the trends in the most popular games.

-- By the way, this is the first in a long time that you get to work on a game this big.
YS: Yeah. It feels like it was a long time ago I got this invested in a game.

-- It’s not like you totally left the game industry, but what do you think of the game industry in Japan looking from a bit afar.
YS: The game engine Unity came out and made it easy for just one person to make his own game, which is a good thing. It wouldn’t be healthy if only big budget games were able to survive. It’s good that the market has expanded with more alternatives. But it’s kind of sad that a majority of games that make money are small like games for smartphones.

-- Do you feel like more effort should be made in making titles for the consoles?
YS: Yeah. Before, Japan was said to be number one in game making. It’s sad that the knowledge that had amassed during that time wasn’t used better.

-- Many of the people during that time went over to make games for smartphones.
YS: It’s not like games for smartphones are necessarily bad, but what’s characteristic of smartphone game making is that the development cycles from start to finished tend to be fast. It might be good for business, but I’m not really satisfied with that. If you compare to cars there’s the really popular cars that sell well. They make a lot of money for the company, but if they don’t develop their flagship model their technical advancement will suffer.

-- In USA there is still a lot of money spent in games for game consoles and PC.
YS: Yeah. That kind of rich content helps activate the whole industry. I hope the industry in Japan gets back on track like before...

-- Oh, the interview got very negative suddenly. Could you maybe give a word of encouragement to the young developers of today or people thinking about making games?
YS: Today is different from before. It’s possible for anyone to make games now. Before it was impossible to make games if you didn’t know how to program, but now there are tools for that. It’s also possible to study game development, and it’s easy to learn from the internet. Living in this age you shouldn't think too hard and just try for fun, go in the direction that feels best for you. Begin with having fun creating.

Comments:
The character perspective system means taking control of characters other than Ryo. He literally says “レンやシェンファ” which means characters “like Shenhua and Ren” so it could be for other characters too. (Edit: Or it could be just an example of characters. Like Thief said: "It could mean that characters like Shenhua and Ren (as in main supporting cast characters) are playable. Ren could have merely been used as an example." Thanks Thief! )
But it’s pretty much as close of a confirmation that we can get that Ren will show up in Shenmue III in one way or another. There is a concept art image of him riding a horse so it’s maybe not that unexpected, but we can be fairly sure he will show up in part 3 and not 4 or even later. Horses were also pretty much confirmed in Yu Suzuki's Reddit AMA so the concept art could very well be of an event happening in Shenmue III.
by Capsule Toys Maniac
Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can you imagine the feeling when...

ok , how would you feel if at the begging of the game an earthquake (or something similar) drops some rocks at the cave entrance and you cannot get out....so you have to find another way out.....Yu Suzuki you big troll man :lol: :lol: :lol:
by alexironaek
Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Day The Snow Turned Into A Game

http://i.imgur.com/R9dPCjn.jpg

Dear Members,

As many of you know, last week was a week that will go down in history for our community. After 14 years of waiting and hoping, it was revealed by Yu Suzuki himself that he is finally in a position to move forward with the creation of Shenmue 3, albeit with a bit of a caveat. Through the announcement of a Kickstarter campaign , Suzuki-San as asked us the fans to help bring his dream, as well as ours, to life by backing and supporting a campaign to help fund the development of the project. While there are various entities supporting this project, Suzuki-san himself has stated that that the fate of Shenmue 3 now rests in our hands and that our actions as a community will dictate the capabilities his team will have in creating the game and to ideally meet its full creative potential.

If you have not already done so, please visit the campaign website and take some time to consider the extent to which you would be willing and able to support this project; note that there are a range of pledge levels with corresponding reward tiers for every single level of backing. As the campaign progresses, there will also be added levels of support to coincide with stretch funding goals as they are introduced. All of the funds that are pledged will be allocated to and utilized SOLELY by YSNET to develop the game.

Contrary to a lot of the dubiously sourced misinformation that has been circulating in recent days, Sony will NOT be funding the entire budget for the game nor will they subsidizing the development costs for YSNET. While Sony will provide various technical investments in conjunction with marketing and promotional support, this project will remain firmly in the directorial hands of Yu Suzuki and his staff. While it is true that there are a number of backers for Shenmue 3, we at this time do not know the scope of how these other entities are involved with the project. All that we can establish for now is that we as a community are in fact the primary patrons for the development of the game and that the responsibility of making Shenmue 3 the strongest game it can be ultimately resides with us.

Over the next few weeks leading up to the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign, we will be introducing two specific social-media based initiatives to promote the backing of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and the series as a whole. The first initiative, #30onthe3rd , is a continuation of our monthly tweetathon #SaveShenmue but with a twist. On 7/3/2015, we encourage everyone to who is able to increase their pledge amount by $30 and post a corresponding tweet as a sign of solidarity within the community. The 2nd initiative, #10MillionToShenmue3 , is a hashtag campaign to be disseminated across all social media platforms to highlight the need for additional funding for Shenmue 3 in order have it be the project that Yu Suzuki has dreamed of creating. In a recent interview, Suzuki-san stated that at a $10 million funding level Shenmue 3 would feature a truly open world that would follow in the lineage of the previous installments.

The time has finally come for us in the Shenmue community to support the series that has given us so much over years. We are now in a position where we can directly impact and influence the creation of Shenmue 3 and give Suzuki-san our direct input While the task at hand may seem daunting, if we come together and collaborate our efforts we will attain the game that we have wanted and deserved for so long. Thank you all very much for your support and we would not be in the position we are in now if it was not for your perseverance and dedication for the series against all odds. We have truly made it.

Keep friends,

The Shenmue Dojo Staff
by Yama
Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Saying Goodbye to Joy?

No you cannot say goodbye to her because she will always call you out on it during that cutscene in Kowloon and there's no way around it
by JaySw34
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD

No need to apologize, just thought it'd be a good addition. Great post.

by Yama
Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Somebody put up a Shenmue kickstarter banner on 4chan

Pretty awesome if you ask me. I think it's on a few more boards too.
by flip
Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Tweets New KS Tiers/Goals Coming Soon + First S3 Artw

A fan-art comic strip retweeted by Yu.

1. Ryo, Let me take a picture of you and Nozomi. Don't be shy - stand there!
2. Here we go--!
3. Both of you, get in closer!
4. That's a bit too close...

http://40.media.tumblr.com/734aa02bb178546ea9fa8fb37ab86200/tumblr_nqdv14SRhQ1te4ztbo1_1280.jpg
by Switch
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

I have a save specifically for when I want to replay it because I consider it one of gamings biggest milestones and achievements.

Before, it always made me sad, but last night I did it for the first time with the knowledge we are getting Shenmue III, and it made me really, really happy. I was happy seeing all of these questions and stuff that I may actually get answers to. Shenhua talks about water buffalo, and life in Bailu, and the old lady who taught her how to sew, all this stuff that's hinted in 3 you think you'll never see ever. And we're fucking getting it. We're actually going to get it! \:D/ Every time I played this section of the game I had a sense of melancholy, but for the first time I could sit back and enjoy it in full without pressure that I will never get answers to my questions.

I highly suggest everyone else do the same. What an amazing experience! =D>
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS upda

I made this thread a full 10 minutes before you and you still got more replies :-({|= =D>
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS update

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1273833

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/036/218/c7ba6548e283e00f70eb46302562a5b6_original.png?v=1435149812&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=5013791507492c7e4d4ae08881bd63cf

Sounds like the clarification many have been asking for since the Kickstarter opened and all of the other funding sources started talking. Maybe this will shut up some of the negative press. What do you think?
by Supa
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki Makes Statement on Kickstarter Funding/Budget

http://i.imgur.com/CcArwc4.png

Yu Suzuki has made an official statement on the funding and budget of Shenmue III through Kickstarter. He addresses the outside funding the game will receive through Sony and Shibuya Productions, as well as exactly where the Kickstarter money will be going. Reiterated in this statement are his ambitions to reach $5 million for the character perspective system, as well as the overall $10 million goal.

Links: Statement | Shenmue 3 Kickstarter | News Archive
by Supa
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Corey Marshall called out Conan o'Brien

Done
But why Conan?
Because he has gaming segments on his tv show

I do not watch Conan or really any talk show, but why did he decide to get into gaming? Seems kind of odd. I guess he wanted to connect with his younger audience and be hip?

It's a joke. He's a comedian, that's what he does.

Is this really the kind of person we want promoting Shenmue then? :-s

Umm yes, absolutely. Why don't you watch one of his segments and see what it's about.
by TwiceFriedRice
Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cannot believe some of the people in this community. . .

No excuse for anyone not pledging due to no PS4 physical being announced at this time, agreed.

by Yama
Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "classic" old school mode?

The black loading screen with white text has too come back. I wouldn't mind if it didn't take as long as in the first two games to load but the loading screen is one of the things I associate with the series.
by Riku Rose
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Saying Goodbye to Joy?

Wasn't her father a mayor of Hong Kong or something? I'm sure I read that somewhere but I have no idea if it's true.
The fact mostly every small fry or petty crook seems in some way intimidated by her (like the Poison Brothers, or the photographer in Fortune's Pier), I always assumed she was connected to a higher authority. That or not everyone's idea of fun in the sack is the same as Joy's :twisted:

Her father was a major businessman who also did work for Five Stars Corp. and probably Chen's Trades too.
-
-
-
As for saying goodbye, Ive looked into it before and there are no "Goodbye" lines but you can find her to speak to her.
by shengoro86
Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ren's Greatest Moments

^And Ren kicks him pretty hard and Dou Niu just laughs at them both. Haha.
by Henry Spencer
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you think Ryo will actually kill Lan Di?

I don't even think Ryo is going to be strong enough to defeat Lan Di when their initial confrontation happens (likely in SIII). He's getting more and more powerful in Kung Fu by the day, but he's still not even close to matching Lan Di. That dude owned Iwao, a renowned martial arts master, without even trying. I think Ryo and Lan Di will face off more than once, with Lan Di besting him the first time.

I agree completely. Iwao couldn't even touch Lan Di, so the only character currently in Shenmue who would even stand somewhat of a chance is Xiuying, but even then there's no knowing for sure. Ryo will need either a lot more training or some kind of divine power (the Phoenix Mirror, Shenhua, the levitating sword?) if he's going to confront Lan Di.

Iwao could have put up a much better fight than he did. Shozo - the homeless chap who lives near the harbor cafeteria - teaches Ryo the Shadow Step move. Ryo finds out that Iwao knew this move and could have used it against Lan Di "that day", turning the battle in his favor. But Shozo responds, "No sense in fighting. A clean getaway is also victory."

I wonder if Iwao wasn't filled with guilt due to killing Zhao Sunming, and maybe letting himself be beaten by his son was his sort of redemption or making it right.
by TwiceFriedRice
Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Message From Lisle Wilkerson

http://i.imgur.com/2Z4zDWy.jpg

We've been communicating with Lisle Wilkerson over the announcement of Shenmue III and she's just as happy as all of us that it is going to become a reality. Below is a personal message from her to all of the fans.

“Hey Shenmue fans!!! It’s Lisle Wilkerson, the English voice actor for Xiuying Hong, Joy, and Yuan from Shenmue II.
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for all your undying support over the years! I have always loved running into Shenmue fans at the cons I go to around the world.

And I know that you guys have been waiting for Shenmue III for a VERY LONG TIME! So I am so very happy that you guys are finally getting it!!!

Hopefully we will be able to be a part of the Shenmue III game. : )

It is a VERY happy day! xoxo Lisle"
by Yama
Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Supa wrote: Oh come on, it's not THAT bad.

Yes it is.
by Gen
Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Playing Shenmue in Japanese for the 1st time was like a veil being lifted from my eyes, and there is no way I will ever go back to that god-awful dub.

The Japanese version is a lot more immersive and realistic, in big part because of how the cultures of Yokosuka are represented. I love how all the foreigners talk with the accents of their home countries. This aspect was completely lost in the dub and a lot of the realism was lost. Also, saying that "Shenmue isn't realistic because it has magic" is kind of a stupid thing to bring up, because that has nothing to do with the type of realism that we're discussing in regards to the dub. It's like talking about oranges when we're discussing apples.

When it comes to Shenmue 2, of course, that realistic side isn't really present, since the game is in Japanese, but takes place in China. Still, if you think that the English dub is anywhere NEAR on the same level as the original, you are severely kidding yourself. (Ren sounds like a p*ssy and even Ryo sounds more bored than he did in S1).
I mean, there's nothing wrong with liking the dub, but I'm just being real here.
by Three Blades
Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FIX THE KICKSTARTER!!! Awesome Japan/Suzuki/Shibuya

He's right that they need to stop saying "I'm thinking about it". There's a lot of stuff you can stop thinking about and just fucking DO it. Setting up a paypal account isn't something you should be thinking about. They said last week they were "thinking" about that.
Well? Where is it? It takes minutes to sign up. Where's the account? You were thinking about it last week.
There's no excuse. Just DO it. Now!
by Three Blades
Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic