Search found 138 matches

Return

Re: New PC Screenshots on Steam Page

Not to mention, as great as the emulation that's out today is for Dreamcast, it isn't perfect. So I would want to see direct comparisons to the game running on Dreamcast before making that call personally. Granted, I prefer my blacks to be inky black (since I'm a product of the CRT era,) but only if that's accurate to the devs' intent. And since I don't have access to the game on DC or an ideal display, I don't know what those scenes are "supposed" to look like.

Also keep in mind, they aren't using a wrapper. They're porting the actual source code to x86 from PPC RISC. So it's also conceivable changes have had to be made here and there, though it appears they've striven to keep them as minimal as possible. Look at the reflections on the blade in that screenshot. Clearly either the emulation is different to the original, or this remastered port is. Either way, differences between the emulated version and this aren't too surprising imo.

And frankly, the emulated screenshot shown looks too dark, and not because of good contrast, since the color contrast still looks more vibrant in the port shot imo. I don't remember the game looking that dark back in the day, but it's been quite a long while since I've played it on DC so as I said, I can't tell.

All I know is it looks like these ports are coming fairly soon and I'm excited beyond measure for them.
by Anonymous81
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

This is a fantastic and explanatory video. Gotta love Adam. Although I will very slightly (and respectfully lol) split hairs and disagree dialectically and semantically with him in saying it's "not even really a remaster." In my nomenclature, coming from the audio world, a remaster means taking original premaster source material, without changing them at all, and taking them through higher resolution audio converters, digitizing them if you're working with older media (which is a bit like porting I suppose lol,) maybe alter the mix slightly (change the arrangement via pan, maybe duplicate some tracks if need be, basically just making things clearer and sweeter, bring things up in the mix or down etc. etc.) possibly use new compression if you can get away with it without destroying dynamic range, etc. You might add new effects, like new reverb since effects technology tends to improve (which to me is akin to them adding new post processing effects to the game,) and all of this is done sparingly and carefully so as not to change the original audio at all, but just make things as good as they can be using newer technology.

Imo, this is precisely what they've done with Shenmue here. So, for ME, that's a remaster. Anything beyond would be a remake, and anything less would just be a straight port. I know not everyone agrees with that nomenclature, and I totally respect that. But for me, these are absolutely remasters. And not only that, but true remasters, rather than the quasi-remakes which keep getting called remasters (looks at Spyro lol.) Ironically though, it's the audio in this release which hasn't been remastered lol.

But ALL of that having been said, great video from Adam I will share around online to try and inform people with questions about these things!
by Anonymous81
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

That's my last post ever on this site. Goodbye.
by Anonymous81
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic