Search found 473 matches

Return

Re: Revisiting Gamespot's 6.8 Review

I've just read the original review and I think he totally missed the "emotional" dimension of Shenmue. Instead it seems that he reviewed every aspect separately and used some standard weighting as if he was testing a soulless object. Also the fact that he doesn't say a word about Shenmue beeing just the first chapter of a long saga appears to me like a lack of vision and inability to see the big picture of Shenmue's gameplay mechanics.

That's not exactly the kind of approach I would expect for a game review, especially when it comes to a game like Shenmue, back in the end of the last century where the whole concept of open world was still to be defined.

#1 rule of video games: they have to be fun, or captivate

I can easily understand that Shenmue wasn't fun for everybody, in fact not every moment spent in Shenmue was fun to play, but I don't agree at all when it comes to beeing captivating. It's pace, story and characters are captivating but there is a cost for that: As the player, you're asked to willingly be part of this living universe. (That includes boring jobs and events at specific times...)

In conclusion, If we (people who *liked the game, *to say the least) were wrong and he was right, we would never have seen such a successful Kickstarter 16 years after the original game release. But hey, just my two cents. I'm a gamer, not a journalist.
by Kiske
Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

As far as I know, it has always been clear in Yu Suzuki's mind that Shenmue 3 would not be the last Shenmue.

I've read about it during KS campaign interview to Suzuki San:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1283666

Q4; Now that we know Shenmue 3 will not end the Story, do you have a backup plan if it won´t succeed to tell the end?

A; I'm going to have to think about having a successor.

...And Cédric Biscay confirmed it in an interview from july 2015:
http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_891_cedric-biscay-sans-kickstarter-shenmue-3-n-aurait-jamais-vu-/page2

Maintenant que le Kickstarter est bien avancé, est-ce qu'on peut avoir une réponse claire sur le fait que Shenmue 3 conclura ou non la saga, ou si il est déjà prévu d'enchaîner sur un Shenmue 4, 5... ?

Now that the KS is on its way, can we have a clear answer about the fact that Shenmue 3 will conclude or not the saga? Are they plans to carry on with Shenmue 4 or 5?

Il me semble que Yu Suzuki a déjà indiqué que Shenmue 3 ne conclura pas la série mais d'un autre côté il ne faut pas s'attendre à une multitude d'épisodes. Le but n'est pas de décliner Shenmue à l'infini mais bien de terminer l'histoire.

I think Yu Suzuki already stated that Shenmue 3 would NOT be the end of the saga, but on another hand, we can't expect multiples épisodes. The goal isn't to endlessly make Shenmue games but IS to conclude the story.

Peut-on alors imaginer le lancement de Kickstarters pour les jeux suivants?

Can we expect new Kickstarter campaigns for the next games?

C'est peu probable mais cela reste une possibilité. Shenmue 3 a eu besoin d'un Kickstarter car personne n'a voulu prendre le risque de produire le jeu ces 14 dernières années. Cette situation ne devrait pas se reproduire.

It's unlikely but it's still an option. Shenmue 3 needed a KS campaign because nobody wanted to take the chance to produce the game for the past 14 years. This situation should not repeat.

Imagines-tu que SEGA, face à ce succès, va ENFIN s'activer pour des versions HD des deux premiers épisodes ?

In your opinion and considering the KS success, do you think SEGA will finally do something about HD versions of the two first games?

Je l'espère sincèrement. Ce sont les seuls décideurs sur le sujet, même si nous faisons tout pour pousser dans ce sens.

I sincerelly hope it. They are the only ones who can decide about that, but we try our best to push them in this direction.

by Kiske
Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: gamesTM Magazine: Yu Suzuki Talks - Shenmue 3 Exc. Inter

While awaiting scans from UK, here are a few pics from Games Twitter account and website:

by Kiske
Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Are you going to buy Shenmue III when it comes out even if..

...you've backed the game and will get a digital/physical copy as reward?

As for me, I'm definitely going to buy the digital version day one.

Mainly for two reasons beeing:
1. The sales number of Shenmue III will be crucial in order to ensure support from a Publisher for SIV (if the story doesn't come to an end in Shenmue III) and I want to give my little contribution to reach this goal.
Get ready to spread #SaveShenmue4 already :mrgreen:

2. I highly doubt the backers will receive their rewards before or even on day one.
by Kiske
Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Food Ever.

If you guys get the opportunity, try lebanese food.

It's just... "Yummy!"
by Kiske
Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Would you rather?

I would put you in jail for 2.5 years if that's the only way to play Shenmue 3 without having to answer awkward questions ;-)
by Kiske
Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tokyo Otaku Mode interview with Yu Suzuki

Oh, come on!

Do you really feel that about all new membImage
by Kiske
Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

I was watching at the E3 reactions videos for the xxxx time (makes me feel good when i feel blue :mrgreen: ) and I've came across this Michael Huber video. Man I love him!!!

Sorry if this video has already been posted many times, but maybe some newcomers didn't see it and really, it's awesome :king:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CAsWwI5Xv4
by Kiske
Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Making of Shenmue

Just came across this video posted yesterday by youtube user "Mo To" who has been registered on Youtube since january 2010 but never posted a video before yesterday. No information about him, no comment about the video. Nothing but this 59 minutes video called "Making Of Shenmue".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbrSmqnegIk

I don't know if this is worth a new thread or even if this video is new or not, but I've never seen those footage before and despite beeing japanese language only, it's very interesting!

Enjoy :)
by Kiske
Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why is Shenmue 1 so different to the sequel?

It would never come to my mind to oppose the two games in the contest of "which one is better".
The way I see it, Shenmue is the one who made me fall in love with its universe, Shenmue 2 beeing the one who kept me in love over decades.
by Kiske
Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What a difference a few months can make

Yeah... still can't believe it!

Talking about tweets... Cédric Biscay posted this less than one hour ago:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2w7hkd2.jpg

There actually IS a playable build of Shenmue 3 !!! =P~

On a general note, I've searched for a "Shenmue 3: General discussion" thread on the forum. Not sure there's actually one. Wouldn't be a good idea if a mod or admin create one for "news" like this?

By the way and according to Cédric, during next MAGS (Monaco Magic) in february we should be able to see Shenmue 3 material.
by Kiske
Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki New Interview

Je tiens également à indiquer que d'autres belles choses vont arriver, donc continuez à apporter votre soutien, y'a du lourd en route !

I also ask all Shenmue fans to keep providing their support as some beautiful things are on the way, trust me !

I was away for work last week and missed this.

I would be lying if I say that I'm not higly intrigued by this part of your post. Especially the original french sentence.

Since I do trust you, I believe you know a few secret stuff that are going to make the whole community really really happy.

I hope not to be wrong on this feeling [-o<
by Kiske
Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thanking Sony

Why not devote one of the 3rd Tweetathon days to Thank Sony?

I think we would use the 3rd in a better way trying to push the Paypal campaign along the #SaveShenmueHD.

If ever Sony should be "target" of the tweetathon, it should be in my opinion, by asking them to put pressure on SEGA for the HD Collection.

Looking at the Paypal campaign last numbers... we desperately need something to push it :|
by Kiske
Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo Hazuki is in Project X Zone 2!

Well, it could mean SEGA is surfing the Shenmue momentum (as for the Shenmue merchandising seen lately) but does this mean anything else? I really hop so, but who knows with SEGA.
by Kiske
Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Man... I love him :king:

phpBB [video]

Note: Don't pump up the volume too high!
by Kiske
Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016

Start saving money.
Monaco is...outrageously...expensive.

Even the flights are expensive... £300! You can get a return from London to Tokyo for just £70 more on certain dates...

@Peter. I've been once in Monaco. Was coming from Italy travelling to Nice.
My advise would be to book a flight to Nice (maybe they are EasyJet flights from where you live) and then take the train from Nice to Monaco. It's a 30 minutes ride.

You could spare a good amount of money.
by Kiske
Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote Shenmue as the most anticipated game

Job done.

Here's my Top 10 list 8)

by Kiske
Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are the chances of outside investors taking notice?

I thought of something the other day, besides the fact the Paypal option is only here for the XMAS season(sigh the worst damn time to be asking people for money), maybe the reason It's going slow now, is that god aweful POS ragdoll reaction stretch goal, no one wants that crap, and people definitely don't want to help push it over the top, if we're not likely gonna reach higher stretch goals.

Yu Suzuki and company just need to figure out a way to reach a large number of people, like they did at E3. I can't imagine it's gonna happen. Just take a deep breath and be happy the game still exceeded its goal by quite a lot.

There is only one way imo, within the PayPal campaign: Annoucement of Shenmue HD Collection.
by Kiske
Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pre-order Shenmue 3 with PayPal

Thank you David!

I would like them to add as soon as possible pledges upgrades for Kickstarter backers.
Then I will probably raise my pledge based on the new rewards.
by Kiske
Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How did you react to the announcement?

The more I read comments about how we fans reacted to the annoucement, the more I'm convinced we are a *nuts* community.
It definitely makes me feel less alone and proud to be part of it :king:

That said, it may not be the right topic for this video... but he definitely (Marcin Gulik) deserves some views!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_G48aZR0xQ
by Kiske
Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Song Are You Listening To Now?

Considering it's a Swiss band, I call it a miracle.

phpBB [video]

Can't stop listening to this.
by Kiske
Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's Shenmue: Article about the saga's history

Hats off Amir!

Wonderful article and HUGE work for the love of Shenmue =D>
by Kiske
Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogam

I agree Anonymous and as you, I couldn't be more happy about what happened since june 2015.

Shenmue 3 IS REAL :D

But... but the job (our job) is not completely done. For a start, we need Shenmue HD.
For the good of Shenmue 3 and by extension, for the good of Shenmue 4.

Yes, we should enjoy the moment and be happy but still, the time to sit back has not come yet.
Keep up our efforts so whatever comes in the end, we can say... "we did our best".
by Kiske
Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well isn't that nice

Collection of famous movie posters, textless.
http://imgur.com/gallery/ibs1o

One of my favorite movie
by Kiske
Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When Sega inevitably announces the HD remasters...

Sega Europe asks the fans, for once...

Let's vote for Shenmue guys! :mad:
https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/ ... 5410866177
by Kiske
Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

Thank you for this great interview David! It was definitely Worth the wait :mrgreen:

Lot of interesting questions & answers here. I don't understand why S3 team doesn't describe more and better each stretch goal we are pointing at, especially while the campaign is still ON.
The AI Battling or Ragdoll reaction are both appealing but have never been explained this well until your interview and the DS one... unless I've missed some info of course.

Knowing that Yu Suzuki plans to have Choubu area as big as Dobuita is good news too!

Once again, thank you for this interview (in 3 languages!) David :)
by Kiske
Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dual Shockers Yu Suzuki Interview

I honestly don't understand all the fuss around the framerate.
AAA PS4 titles like Uncharted 4 (single campaign) will run at 30fps/1080p despite having a way much bigger budget compared to Shenmue 3 and nobody seems to care about it.

As said before, I have only one hope concerning Shenmue 3.
Good use of the budget and compromises so Yu Suzuki can deliver a Shenmue game that FEELS like Shenmue, that PLAYS like Shenmue. In other words... a true Shenmue experience.
by Kiske
Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

Frankly, I don't think even Yu has a damn clue what he's talking about, when it comes to the battle system. He even goes on mention the stupid Ragdoll physics, first explaining what that is(so we do know, he knows what that is), and then agrees that such is goofy/unfitting for a Shenmue game, so he's going to edit the mechanic.

Yeah, because you know better for sure.

I'm honestly shocked by the low faith of some fans...

Yu Suzuki will deliver what he feels is the best to deliver in the form he thinks fits better. Period.

Good if he listens to fans requests but for god sake, leave him with HIS VISION and trust him.
He didn't give up on Shenmue for 14 (!!!) years, that's enough to deserve some respect.
by Kiske
Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III on French TV

Thank you for sharing David!

It gives me goose bumps to see Shenmue on TV :heart:

Cédric Biscay is really doing an amazing job.

Canal+ is a network very popular among 20-50 years old, it's most definitely a great showcase for Shenmue.
by Kiske
Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Article about Shenmue 3 in French "Telerama"

http://www.telerama.fr/sortir/paris-games-week-le-mystere-shenmue-3-sera-t-il-enfin-devoile,132815.php

The (fair) article includes a few words from Cédric Biscay himself.

« Bien sûr, je savais que cette annonce allait faire du bruit. » nous confirme Cédric Biscay, fondateur de Shibuya Productions. « En revanche, j’ignorais qu’elle ferait pleurer les gens présents à mes côtés. »

"Of course I knew this annoucement would have created a lot of buzz, what I didn't expect was people crying around me because of it."

« Nous souhaitons plus de financement afin d’offrir davantage de zones à explorer dans le jeu mais, en l’état, nous savons déjà que nous aurons un “Shenmue 3” à la hauteur », rétorque Cédric Biscay. « La base du gameplay sera similaire aux précédents épisodes mais de nombreuses améliorations feront leur apparition. Quant aux graphismes, nous serons dans les standards de ce qui peut se faire sur PS4 et PC. Si Yu Suzuki a expliqué qu'il voulait privilégier l’histoire, cela ne signifie pas que les graphismes seront mauvais, cela indique simplement son orientation : proposer une aventure prenante avec un bon gameplay. “Shenmue 3” n'a pas besoin d'être tape-à-l’œil car la série dispose déjà d'une grande profondeur. »

"We would like more funds in order to offer more areas to visit in the game, but at this point, we already know that Shenmue 3 will live up to the expectations. The gameplay will be similar to it's predecessors but numerous improvements will appear. Talking about the graphics, they will meet the standards on PS4 and PC. When Yu Suzuki explained he wanted to focus on the story, that doesn't mean the graphics are going to be bad, it shows Suzuki's orientation. Deliver an immersive adventure along with good gameplay. Shenmue 3 doesn't need to be flashy since the serie has already a large depth."
by Kiske
Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

Neogaf user @Endless posted a screen capture of the actual article from Marketing Week (was able to access it again) and apparently, the line about re-release of Shenmue 1 & 2 is there:

http://anony.ws/i/2015/10/27/marketingweek.jpg

Neogaf thread source --> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183082970&postcount=165

Note that the part about the Kickstarter campaign is now correct.

PS. I registered myself and I can confirm the line is there (Did a printscreen too).
by Kiske
Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some slight cause for hope!

There are two options about this part of the article in my opinion.

1. It's some elaborate fake for clickbait/buzz.
2. The Sega Europe marketing director Jon Rooke actually said something close to "Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles."
Maybe said it to soon, of records or by mistake, who knows...

I asked directly Jon Rooke about this article. Even if I doubt he's going to answer me back, I had to try.
by Kiske
Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wasn't expecting them to announce anything until next E3, but if they're already buttering us up like this it means they're either:
- being dicks and getting our hopes up over nothing
- jumping the gun on trying to build hype
- almost ready to reveal something Shenmue related

The "fun" fact is that all of your three options are realistic :-#
by Kiske
Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #47

I think some here were right about one thing:

It would be better if they don't show anything at all to the fans, because after only three month in the dev, there are already people complaining about the quality of the graphics, asking for something "mindblowing" like Shenmue was 16 years ago. :roll:

The budget is what it is. They won't be able to do miracles on the technical aspect.

And you know what? I don't care. I want the "Shenmue feeling", no more, no less.

This, is exactly how I picture the Shenmue "atmosphere" in my mind:
http://i.imgur.com/wZeYPhd.jpg
by Kiske
Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How important are the graphics to you?

If the screenshots of the latest KS update are the graphical quality target for the final game, I would be more than happy.
by Kiske
Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #47

December 2017 is just a slated release date. Do you expect them to not have a estimated release date at all? Because that's far worse. Why must you be so demanding of everything involved, even a reasonable release date that means two and a half years of development? Just seems like you're complaining to complain rather than just seeing where this all goes.

He's refusing to accept a paypal window of more then a few months, because it will get in the way of his desired release date(that was Yu's reason he gave, for only having Paypal available for such a short time).

Trust me, Yu has "no" intention what so ever, in allowing Shenmue 3 to take longer the 2 years.

Either Yu is rushing or he truly has no clue on how long games take to develop, when you don't have 300 people helping with it lol.

Quite the contrary. Having a limited Paypal campaign makes a lot of sense to me. They need to have a defined budget and be able to prioritize the developpment accordingly.

Beside that, how do you think Yu Suzuki is going to pay his employees if the developpment lasts 42 month instead of 30?

You make your criticism sound so easy, but how would YOU handle this project given the unusual circumstances?
by Kiske
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PC version?

As told by David and according to a few tweets from Cédric Biscay this week-end, the PC version is coming.

Patience is the key word here :mrgreen:

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 0095719425

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 5423577088
by Kiske
Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Last dinner in Tokyo...

Amir posted a tweet from Gio Corsi on the "Random Shenmue Thoughts" thread in Shenmue section.
https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/663616457750806528

Well, it's now confirmed by Corsi himself that he and Adam Boyes had the opportunity to meet with Yu Suzuki during their Japan Trip. :)

https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/664414810612846592

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTh5s-CWEAAXeW4.jpg
(We know for sure it's THE original Suzuki San... because of the T-shirt :mrgreen: )

Shenmue or Shenmue 3 related news coming to Playstation Experience 2015?
by Kiske
Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Translation requests here!

SEGA Holdings COO, Hideki Okamura Interview:

http://www.gamebusiness.jp/article/2015 ... 11621.html

Shenmue and Shenmue 3 are mentioned near the end of the article, that's why a traduction would be nice.

by Kiske
Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Members Introduce Yourself!

Hello Shenmue Community,

Just a few words to introduce myself.

I'm from Switzerland and I'm 41 years old.

I played Shenmue I & II when they came out for Dreamcast a life ago and as many of you, fell desperately in love with the saga created by Suzuki San. The dream of seeing the sequel of Ryo's adventures one day never left me and as you can imagine, the annoucement of the Kickstarter back in june just sent me to the moon emotionally speaking.
I've of course backed the game and now the long wait for the dream becoming reality begins...

I've followed Shenmuedojo in the last years but never had the "heart" to register.

I would like to thank the guys at Shenmue Dojo for everything they've done this whole time and I would like to thank the whole community from the bottom of my heart to make the rebirth of Shenmue real.

So proud to be part of this family. :heart:
by Kiske
Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11

(Shenmue III) will not be Call of Duty but it will be a really good PS4 game with easily the current standing .

? I don't understand what the "with easily the current standing" means.

I've listened to this part of the interview and Cédric basically says that Shenmue III will look like a good PS4 game and easily meet the PS4 standards. "It will not look like a PS2 game."

Yokosuka probably meant to translate his phrase with "will easily meet the current PS4 standards".
by Kiske
Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11

It's a shame Yu feels he has to shut the press out on Shenmue because of how they've spun things so far, but I really can't blame him considering the baffling level of vitriol and total lack of desire to do the proper research before publishing articles that has been rife with press commentary on Shenmue 3.

I would make the vision of this (passionate and full of humour) video mandatory for any journalist who intend to write down an article about Shenmue with absolutely no knowledge about the game history.

https://youtu.be/cCdgmSlZ4DQ
by Kiske
Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PlayStation Experience and Shenmue

Does anybody know what time the Playstation experience will start streaming?(On Youtube)

Don't know, but here are some schedules of the event:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2015/playstation-experience/

Edit: Found this message on the Playstation Experience Blog:

We’ll have a full schedule soon, but the keynote starts at 10am Pacific Saturday morning. (6pm UK) :)
by Kiske
Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Monthly update

People calm down. :)

There will be an update before the end of the year, I'm pretty sure about that.

If not about Shenmue 3 development (As others, I can easily live with it as far as we know development is on track and goes smoothly. The China conference news are more than positive from this point of view) at least about the Slacker Backer campaign.

Cédric Biscay stated several times that PC rewards will come before the end of the PayPal campaign and there are no reasons so far, not to trust him.

Beside that... I still have some hopes about a Playstation Experience annoucement/update.
This would be a perfect time to give a few more info, about Shenmue 3 or (from the most optimistic angle) even Shenmue HD and give the PayPal campaign, a final boost.
by Kiske
Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic