Search found 832 matches

Return

Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III

Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III: A Gaming Pioneer's Answer To Growing Homogeneity

http://naomidaniels.kinja.com/open-world-fatigue-and-shenmue-iii-a-gaming-pioneers-a-1740232568

A pretty good article on Kotaku's Talk Amongst Yourselves feature. Makes a good case for where exactly Shenmue and by extension Shenmue 3 would fit in to the open world genre.

PSA: I helped proof read the article. Still agree with it pretty much from top to bottom though, and it's worth reading.
by Spaghetti
Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

Popcorn wrote: The current amount on the Slacker PayPal page is $6,434,455.

Does that include money raised through the original Kickstarter campaign?

Yes. The PayPal campaign has made roughly $100,000 since it opened.
by Spaghetti
Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: shenmue 3 better than our expectations

It's far too early to say either way, but I personally believe the people who were claiming "anything under 10 mil from Kickstarter is a failure" were being childish and short sighted. A lot of what made the original Shenmue games expensive and ground-breaking can now be done cheaper, easier, and to a higher degree of quality, so the focus can now be on what Shenmue is really about. An immersive world, a good story, and varied modes of gameplay.

The facts as they stand are that the project is going smoothly in the prototype phase, and that they are able to stretch the money further than they initially thought. That's good news, but this is month 4 of 29. This is a marathon not a sprint.
by Spaghetti
Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: full list gift Yu received during china press conference

If Chinese subtitles weren't already on the cards, I certainly hope they are now. Chinese Shenmue fans should be rewarded for their efforts.
by Spaghetti
Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PlayStation Experience and Shenmue

The hype isn't as big as some of you pretend. It's just us, we're not that many.

How do you measure a game's hype, if not smashing its way to the top of Sony's most wanted list and breaking nearly every Kickstarter record imaginable?
I think some people are underestimating that the interest for Shenmue is at an all-time high right now. Over on GAF plenty of people who never played the series were at least curious about seeing what all the fuss was about. In fact there were a few people who bought themselves a Dreamcast and both games in wake of the Kickstarter, and really enjoyed playing Shenmue for the very first time.

While dated, I think Shenmue has more of a place in today's gaming landscape than it ever did in 1999. Shenmue 3 will be a modern iteration of the design ethos that made those first two games so memorable to us and kept the cult classic ball rolling for 14 years after it looked like the series was dead and buried. I think the potential for Shenmue to catch on in this era is bigger than ever. It's not going to be like, AAA level, but we'll see more new blood and appreciation for the series than this community has ever seen before, not to mention lapsed fans crawling out of the woodwork.

There are going to be naysayers, and we know certain parts of the press have been intent on building a mostly falsified negative image of the game along with a puzzling character assassination of Yu Suzuki. When all is said and done though, I think when Shenmue 3 finally materialises beyond the prototype we've seen, more people are going to pay attention and more people are going to start having a positive outlook for the series' future.
by Spaghetti
Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III's ending - Another cliffhanger?

I'm of the opinion that Shenmue II's big cliffhanger is part of the reason why we've clamoured so hard for a sequel all these years. It's a script-flipping moment of huge mystery with an emotional crescendo, but would Yu Suzuki dare to do it all over again for 3?

I think, yes- but in a very different way. Yu has been very open about Shenmue 3 being a launch pad for the final instalments of the series, and how he intends to get a publisher on-board instead of returning to Kickstarter. Stirring up the same frothing clamour we had after II would help do that. Where II's ending was an attempt to at least indicate where the series may have gone in the future, we now know the development team were aware it may have been the last Shenmue game ever and wrapped up the story a little neater than they would otherwise.

3's ending could be an even bigger cliffhanger as an attempt to ensure the series' survival through continued high demand. The worst thing that could happen to Shenmue after 3 would be nobody wanting to know where the series went next. That's why I think Shenmue 3 will effectively be the 'Empire Strikes Back' of Shenmue, with earth-shattering revelations and wide-reaching consequences for the characters.

Of course nobody knows what happens at the end of the game, but if I had to guess...

After a resounding defeat by Lan Di, Ryo escapes with his life, but in the process loses the Phoenix Mirror, and is separated from Shenhua. Stranded and alone, Ryo then embarks on a journey to catch up to the Chi You Men that will take him even deeper into the heart of China.

But how does everybody else feel about the idea of another cliffhanger?
by Spaghetti
Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11

It's a shame Yu feels he has to shut the press out on Shenmue because of how they've spun things so far, but I really can't blame him considering the baffling level of vitriol and total lack of desire to do the proper research before publishing articles that has been rife with press commentary on Shenmue 3.
by Spaghetti
Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Missing chapters in Saturn version?

I would love, above all else, for the Saturn version of Shenmue to one day leak. Certainly hope they've still got the source code for it at the very least.

"It belongs in a museum!"
by Spaghetti
Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Does Chai tell Lan Di that Ryo has the Phoenix mirror? If so, why doesn't Lan Di stay in Japan and track down Ryo and take the mirror from him?
Nah, I think Chai wanted to bring the mirror to Lan Di to gain higher status within the Chi You Men. Just providing information wouldn't be enough to get that.
by Spaghetti
Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PlayStation Experience: LIVE DISCUSSION 10:00am PT / 6pm

The game isn't presentable on a big stage yet, rather wait until next year if that means releasing something that will look awesome.

I think Sony wouldn't have minded giving Shenmue 3 some stage time to show a few stills from the 2015 prototype, the short video renders shown in the chinese event, or anything that could increase the public awareness that Shenmue 3 exists and being developed, especially that Shenmue 3 will be console exclusive on PS4.

The horrible marketing/public communication performance of the Kickstarter campaign continues ...
Come on . While the stuff from China was good considering the stage of development the game is at, it would have been laughed out of the room presented at something like PSX.

"Here's a spinning camera in a work in progress interior, and here are a few screenshots using placeholder materials. SHENMUE 3 EVERYBODY!"

Shenmue 3 isn't ready to show like that, and there's nobody to blame for that. Give it time.
by Spaghetti
Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Monthly update

February seems just around the corner, considering we have almost exactly 2 years to go until release. The Ryo model in the recent update (glossy jacket one), already looked different to the E3 model, so I imagine it's probably been updated somewhat since then. Wonder if it's now unrealistic to expect anything new from PS experience, after we got the monthly update yesterday.
I personally can't see any difference in Ryo's model in the latest update. The last update's model did look better than E3 though, but again, there's no telling how old that is either. That model looked fine in some of the Famitsu shots so maybe it was a matter of perspective. For example: http://i.imgur.com/6INi4YX.jpg

They definitely need to darken his skin and hair a bit though. Looks too Caucasian currently.
by Spaghetti
Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How long do you think Shenmue III will be ??

I have a "background" on graphic adventures, that's why I think that 30 hours is quite a big deal (specially thinking of games today that have a lot of filler), and kinda afraid that Shenmue will try to adapt to current game design trends (or at this point we can call those aesthetics).

But Shenmue III going inwards, I think that Yu will make a Shenmue closer to what I think, to what a Shenmue killing bears for xp.
Yu doesn't play other games, which I think is his greatest strength in keeping Shenmue away from being a homogenised game.

Besides, he isn't accountable to a big publisher leaning over his shoulder to make the game more like other games either. Financially he answers to Kickstarter backers, and Shibuya.
by Spaghetti
Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PlayStation Experience & Shenmue

Yokosuka wrote:The upcoming promotion of Shenmue III is not going to be pretty exceptional.

I don't know about that. When the game is fully formed and in a better state to show (E3 2016/7), I think Sony are going to go all in with the "LOOK WE HELPED MAKE THIS HAPPEN, LOOK AT US, WE LOVE YOU GAMERS".
by Spaghetti
Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Update 48

I don't know if this is the proper topic but whatever.

In the campaign page of the kickstarter Project there is a list of gameplay requirements with money on the side. As the the kickstarter has arrived at 6.3 million, the things that are left up to 11 million will be included in the final game? maybe that part is financied by private fundings or shibuya productions?
Nobody really knows if YSnet got additional funding from a new source after the Kickstarter ended, but it seems Shibuya's investment is probably related to start-up costs (as in, buying equipment, properly outfitting an office or work space) and licencing the Shenmue IP from SEGA. That isn't an insignificant cost, and likely was essential to get to the point of even having the Kickstarter in the first place.

We do know that Yu is experimenting with game elements from stretch goals that have not yet been hit. It's possible external funding came in and they haven't talked about it (and why would they? It is of zero concern to the press, or even backers), or it could be a result of being able to stretch the Kickstarter money further than they originally thought (as has been claimed by Yu at some point after the campaign ended).

At this stage, it's a case of waiting for the final game and seeing what un-hit stretch goal features made it in.
by Spaghetti
Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: pc rewards on paypal campaign?

The entire promotion and management of the slacker backer campaign has been poor if you asked me. They should have hired some committed driven fans to help out. The passion would have led to better results.

I haven't heard anything of this campaign in the media or anywhere else for that matter since it launched. I just pray the promotion of Shenmue 3 is handled better, otherwise history will repeat itself.

If they announce the PC version 24 hours before the campaign ends, Im gonna facepalm myself x 1000000
To be honest, why would they do that when we know we do it for free? I've been keeping the GAF paypal thread sorta active in the last few days to raise awareness, because I want to see us hit a stretch goal before the campaign ends. Awesome Japan were the same during the Kickstarter, reactionary, unprepared, and relying heavily on fans to do the heavy lifting on awareness.

It's a real shame 8-4 weren't available for the campaign, because I'm sure they would have been more proactive in getting new people involved and engaged. I know it's tough to do that when there is no way to play Shenmue on modern platforms outside emulation on PC or phones, but Awesome Japan wanted to preach to the choir and little else.

Day after day I was in that Kickstarter thread trying to keep it active, be positive, and stop people eating each other when things got negative. It was rough but I do think it worked in the end, because when the campaign was closing there was more focus on the positives. It's kinda hard to do that right now because even I am uninterested in the paypal campaign because of how non-existent the engagement is. Outside a bump in interest when a new Kickstarter update comes out, nobody really gave a shit about talking about the paypal campaign.
by Spaghetti
Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A Shenmue 4 and beyond section?

I'm in favour of it happening sometime in 2016. Maybe after the big February update and Shenmue 3 is shaping up into a more concrete thing and we have lots more to speculate about.
by Spaghetti
Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How was Shenmue II released on Dreamcast in Europe Anywa

I remember getting Shenmue II on Dreamcast for Christmas 14 years ago in 2001...

It was an amazing lead-up. I was only 9 and had zero idea about games media and release schedules besides the occasional Dreamcast magazine or flicking through copies of EDGE my dad bought from time to time. I think I saw Shenmue II as a preorder in a catalogue or maybe a coming soon product description in a videogame shop, and I knew I had to have it.

I was away over Christmas so had to wait an agonising five days to get home to play the game after reading the instruction booklet over and over and over (remember those?). It was so weird having the game in Japanese with no prior knowledge that it wouldn't be dubbed, but I got used to it. To this day I still prefer to play Shenmue in English, but Shenmue II in Japanese. No idea what I'll do if I have a choice of dubs in Shenmue III.

But anyway, long story short, I'm very grateful Shenmue II came out on Dreamcast in Europe.
by Spaghetti
Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Shenmue IV a possible reality at this point?

It was more possible than before Shenmue 3 got kickstarted, that's for sure.

Considering the original Shenmue sold over a million on the Dreamcast when it was only around 6 million units globally (or less), I'm not worried about Shenmue 3 selling over a million between PS4 and PC.
by Spaghetti
Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nah, it's not a good idea to leave it open indefinitely because it'll disrupt the game design process and the current budgeting allocation. It's best for it to end by the time the development team are out of the prototyping phase.
by Spaghetti
Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Shenmue IV a possible reality at this point?

YSnet is already working on a next-gen version of Shenmue as they are producing a PC version. Didn't Cédric say that the PC version will be "optimized" compared with the PS4 version ?

As for the PC version, I wouldn't say that'd be the next-gen version as we have no idea what the specs of the next Xbox or Playstation will be and if they'll be anywhere near a current high-end PC, but it would be a great testing ground for the upper limits of what they can do in UE4. I'm expecting a better draw distance, texture filtering, shadows, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing in the PC version of Shenmue 3, but at the end of the day it'll still not be a generational head and shoulders leap over the PS4 version.

I'm not expecting Shenmue III or the possible Shenmue IV to reach graphic capabilities of what PS4 is capable of. For instance, I highly doubt any Shenmue game (sans Mods for the PC version) will ever look as good as Uncharted 4. Worrying about graphic capabilities of the next gen seems like a moot point to me.

It'd be nice if Yu got to make a new game between Shenmue 3 and 4, but I think he'll likely want to strike while the iron is hot off the release of 3 and maybe close out his career at the same time as the Shenmue series.

I respect Yu Suzuki's work beyond Shenmue, having grown up during his golden age of releases, but I think for Suzuki to work on something beyond completing Shenmue at this time would work against his goal of completing Shenmue. He has said numerous times that Shenmue is his legacy in the gaming industry.
Yeah. Honestly I don't think anybody should be expecting Shenmue 3 or a potential 4's graphics to blow our minds the same way the original did in the 90s, and it shouldn't need to anyway (though it is very easy to get a decent baseline of "good" graphics with UE4). Shenmue is more about detail and making the world look lived-in. Pushing photorealism is folly, and ultimately so expensive these days that it just isn't worth it unless you are making the top tier of video game in terms of Hollywood-style production.

What I am expecting from Shenmue 3 and 4 would be great animation, and I think that's what Yu is aiming for too with his talk about making animation blending an integral part of how the combat systems are going to look and feel.
by Spaghetti
Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bailu Village Hut Video - Full Quality!

The reuploaded video was for their gallery on the updated shenmue.link website https://shenmue.link/.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

The Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards only applies to rewards like the phone card, which were marketed as "Kickstarter Exclusive".

In their defence, do you know how much of a backlash some companies have faced when they've marketed something as "kickstarter exclusive" and then they turned around and offered it on Paypal or whatever? They want to avoid that...

Btw, why blame Awesome Japan? You really think they have that much power? This decision would have been made after a meeting/consultation between all the relevant parties involved in Shenmue 3. Don't be naive.
There were two polls to ask backers their opinions on the matter, both came back positive. Even if people did get mad about their exclusive backer rewards no longer being exclusive, there's still a statistical justification because of the poll results. Going in the opposite direction despite the polls is ridiculous.

Why blame Awesome Japan? Because as we've been told by people such as Cedric, they are the ones directly in charge of the PayPal and Kickstarter campaigns. Cedric has even gone as far to say he has no control over the PayPal campaign, and we know ultimately Yu Suzuki is focussed on development. So who does that leave? Awesome Japan.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't think it'll go much further than Dualshockers. Mainstream games media is more just ignoring Shenmue after spending the summer writing weird thinkpieces and inaccurate articles for the most part. Still though, even Dualshockers is obfuscating the fact that the poll numbers don't add up to the decided result, so it isn't strictly accurate reporting even if they're being very matter-of-factly about it.

The site has been up and down since this morning's update hit. I don't know if it suddenly has a lot of traffic now, or if there is an attempt at a DDOS.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

While I do think some people are overreacting (like equating this dumb decision with the game itself or thinking PayPal backers get nothing), it's not unfair to call bullshit on Awesome Japan going against both poll results. If they didn't want to rock the boat, they shouldn't have even proposed the idea of PayPal backers getting the tiers and rewards featured on the Kickstarter. To get skittish about this despite statistically having the majority of backers being in favour of it, is dumb.

Hopefully by next year AJ will have been largely phased out of the communications process as the promotion for the game (headed by Shibuya) starts to start moving on the road to release.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Since their horrible Q&A stream with Yu, AJ should've been replaced. The Kickstarter would've been much better without them, and now they'll ruin the PayPal campaign. Moreover, I am not optimistic about trusting a newly-formed game company with a high-profile game like Shenmue, obviously they are still in the learning phase of the UE4 engine, and in today's market where a lot of AAA games exist, they wouldn't have a chance . One mistake after another and the Shenmue legacy we all love is being terribly shattered, and day after day I am starting to think that Sega's decision in wrapping up Shenmue after the second game might not be totally wrong after all.... I blame YS.net for all of this btw.
Now this is just descending into ridiculousness.

YSnet is not a newly formed game company, and neither is development partner Neilo. The development team consists of many Shenmue, AM2, and current game development veterans as well as experienced new faces like Nocon Kid. There is also nothing wrong with learning an engine while you develop your first game with it, even with engines with a tremendous amount of documentation on usage like UE4.

I'm mad about how the poll results were used too, but suddenly saying you think Shenmue should have just been left at two games after all? Give me a fucking break, don't be so melodramatic and grow up.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

YSnet is not a newly formed game company, and neither is development partner Neilo. The development team consists of many Shenmue, AM2, and current game development veterans as well as experienced new faces like Nocon Kid. There is also nothing wrong with learning an engine while you develop your first game with it, even with engines with a tremendous amount of documentation on usage like UE4.

I'm mad about how the poll results were used too, but suddenly saying you think Shenmue should have just been left at two games after all? Give me a fucking break, don't be so melodramatic and grow up.

Ys Net Inc :Since its foundation in 2008, Ys Net has published "ONE" short-lived web game: Shenmue World. Source

Neilo Games :Since its foundation in 2010, Neilo Games has published "ONE" vita "dancing" game to mixed to bad reviews: Orgarhythm. Source

A game like Shenmue 3 is NOT the guinea pig to learn how to develop using a new game engine with.

Game development has come a long way since the days of the original Shenmue. You need to grow up and realise that things have moved way forward since, and you also need to grow up to understand that what used to work in the days of the original Dreamcast doesn't in today's market.
The fuck are you even talking about? Neilo and YSnet are still full of very experienced people and you can't ignore that.

Part of learning the engine is still part of modern game development too. Unreal Engine 3, first game developed by Epic to learn and refine the engine? Gears of War. FOX Engine, first game developed by Kojima Productions to learn and refine the game engine? Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. I can also assure you Square Enix development teams are learning UE4 while developing: Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part One, Dragon Quest XI, etc.

Stop being ignorant. Not every single member who comes on board for a development project has to automatically be a master of a game engine, else nothing would ever get fucking made. You get senior staff experienced in the engine who teach the engine to other staff at the same time as developing a game with it. These kinds of staff are who Yu has put a priority on hiring, and there are already staff at Neilo who know how to use the engine judging from one of the first KS videos.

Don't be ignorant, stop pretending the sky is falling, and get some fucking perspective.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I would point out all the inaccuracies in that article but I'd probably have a stroke doing so.

Good thing they're just some hole in the wall game media site that just badly regurgitates other articles, right?
by Spaghetti
Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Isn't it funny we went months without a major Awesome Japan fuck up when all the updates were geared towards development?
by Spaghetti
Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There's no real point blaming the people who voted no, the people who were indifferent or voted yes clearly won the poll. It was just how the poll data was interpreted that is causing anger. Nearly 5000 people who voted emphatically yes, with over 6000 who wouldn't have minded if the answer was yes, and only 4000 who were directly against it. To me, that shows "yes" won.

It's just like that stupid character poll earlier in the Kickstarter. They gave us a list of characters without context, then only revealed after Ryo won that it was a poll to determine if a character should get a special scene.

Honestly, I know Yu wanted fan input on the project because he's so grateful for the support, but if Awesome Japan are going to feed us incorrect information, and interpret the poll data so badly, then Yu should be allowed to just get on with developing the game as he sees fit with input from Cedric and other producing partners.
by Spaghetti
Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So unsurprising Polygon is one of the larger sites running with the same story the smaller sites who didn't fact check did earlier.

Christ, being a games journalist at Polygon must be the easiest job on the planet.
by Spaghetti
Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For all the (mostly unfounded) shit we get about being insane fans, the Shenmue community has proven itself at being mostly rational and constructive in the face of PR messes and lying journalists.
by Spaghetti
Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Part of the problem on Twitter is that a lot of spambots got hold of the article so searching for Shenmue is just populated with the same bad articles that just proliferate the story. Some Youtuber also made a video but I don't have the patience to go through something I already know is going to be incorrect from the outset. It seems to be passed around Xbox fan circles on Twitter mostly.
by Spaghetti
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This has completely run away from Awesome Japan and yet again damaging the campaign. Over a poll. A fucking poll.

Fire Awesome Japan. They are useless .
I can't deny that there is a part of my thoughts/wishes that had like this to happen. However! On a second thought, I imagine if Ys Net decides to fire AJ that will create an even more bad press in the media. It will actually reaffirm the past negative claims [of the quality (shadiness for them) around Shenmue III's crowdfunding situation] of the click-bait journalists. It seems to me that it has come to a point that AJ is a necessary evil to hold with until the release of Shenmue III.
That is a point, but it's plainly obvious without someone looking over their shoulder that AJ will never be able to avoid blunders like they've already made. Yu can't do it, and neither can Cedric. A nice middle ground would be to pull in an experienced public relations person, but I don't know if that can even happen at this stage or who that'd even be. If Ryan Payton wasn't working on his own game currently I'd say he would be a prime candidate. An experienced game producer, a former games journalist with contacts, and someone who has run a Kickstarter before. It's a real shame he couldn't say yes when Yu originally asked him.
by Spaghetti
Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Honestly, I don't think it would have been as bad if the decision went the other way. I really don't think the outcry from the minority who said no would be loud enough to be heard by the gaming press, nor do I think we would have had the big misunderstanding/headless chicken effect of people thinking they were losing their backer rewards.
by Spaghetti
Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah. I'm not 100% but I think Thimbleweed Park are offering different slacker backer rewards compared to Kickstarter. It's not like there's not already a precedent that slacker backers get less rewards options than initial KS backers.
by Spaghetti
Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Day of Release

I don't think it'll release in 2017 either, but I'm going to make sure I have time off on release day if at all possible.
by Spaghetti
Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3:My Final Thoughts

Uh, didn't Yu approach Xbox first but wouldn't give him the time of day?

EDIT: Also, fuckin' lol at equating us (i.e the Shenmue community) as having half voted no. Here and on other Shenmue communities I've seen the poll decision completely disagreed with almost entirely across the board. The OP is fragile as fuck.
by Spaghetti
Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3:My Final Thoughts

Snore. This isn't even creative trolling, it's sub-GameFAQS level that's as see-through as a pane of glass.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Day of Release

Cedric confirmed the other month a proper retail release will happen, though we've all got no idea what that means in terms of how many copies get printed.
by Spaghetti
Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Regardless, money is money, and it doesn't look like the PayPal campaign is stopping in the near future. Given that we're only halfway through the month and well on the way to $6.6 million, I hope it just keeps some level of momentum to help us cross the $7 million mark eventually.

At least it isn't as stressful as the Kickstarter. Watching the money tick up or down in real time was heartbreaking sometimes. Pledge trolls were the worst.
by Spaghetti
Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People take that 10 million figure too seriously anyway. They think it is all or nothing in game development, when it totally isn't. It is one of the most scalable creative mediums out there because you're almost entirely working on digital platforms, and making digital assets to be strung together in a workable way by algebraic mathematics on computers.

If Shenmue 3 was a film and it got $3-4 million less than the ideal vision, then the project would suffer in a more tangible way. Sequences would get cut extensively, or if they remained be done for much cheaper at a lower quality.

What you're paying for in game development is effectively just hours worked for the staff to create the digital pieces of the game and then putting it together, if you really boil it down to the very basics. You're not building sets, creating costumes, or props for fifty extras or whatever. Money can go very far with games, especially in the case of Shenmue 3 when you're using a robust and versatile licenced game engine like UE4 and not making your own tools from scratch. Yu has already said as much that UE4 has proven so efficient they think they can take the money further than anticipated.

Are we missing out on anything? Maybe. We don't know what Yu can throw in or not. We don't know if anybody approached Yu or Cedric after the Kickstarter to provide additional funding (if they did, don't expect it to double the budget or nothin'). Until the PayPal is over, upgrades are sorted, and crowdfunding totally ends on Shenmue 3, the sky is the limit. Roll on 7 mil.
by Spaghetti
Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I don't get the people with the argument that how any changes in Shenmue 3 from the originals is going to ruin the game.

It isn't a zero sum equation/all or nothing situation. The game is going to change, and it was always supposed to in some way, but it won't lose its soul. If we had got Shenmue 3 on Xbox in like 2003/4 and it barely changed or innovated on itself, we'd probably be a bit annoyed that it stagnated and didn't surprise us like the first two did. The 14 year wait for Shenmue 3 has made us hungry for more of the original experience instead of something new, and maybe that's stopping people being open minded about new systems and changes to the formula.

When I played Shenmue II for the first time, I was mad FREE training was gone. Over time, I opened myself up and realised that ultimately sparring to train was more engaging than just doing the same move over and over in a car park to level it up. Other changes in Shenmue II like being able to wait for an event to happen was a godsend when you just didn't feel like killing the free time like you had to in the first game. I think Shenmue 3 is going to be the same, a mix of welcomed changes, and ones that are different but eventually will make sense.

Shenmue 3 is going to be more than just a sequel, it is going to be Shenmue reborn. We should keep an open mind to new things about the game, and not just think they're automatically inferior because they messed with the old structure.
by Spaghetti
Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

It might just be me being super confused and all, but didn't he Tweet that this year? I thought he was referring to NEXT year, aka Jan 2017?

Yeh. I just checked, he tweeted that out on January 7th 2016. I hope I'm wrong cause I wanna see new screenies too :D!
That's just a quirk of him not being a native English speaker.

Yoshitaka Amano and Viktor Kalvachev will attend the MAGIC press conference in Paris 20th January!
https://twitter.com/MagicMonaco/status/685017507598569472

He's definitely talking about the event today.
by Spaghetti
Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016

Peter wrote: Bet anyone 5 bucks this image is the next update from Awesome Japan.

Oh most definitely. And the Bailu Village Hut video we've all seen.
by Spaghetti
Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic