Search found 14 matches

Return

Dreamcast FPS & Deathmatch Games

Just posted part 1 of a video series on the DC's FPS and DM games. I loved deathmatch games as a sub-genre, and the DC did it better than any other home console IMO. I didn't include games like Starlancer, Deep Fighter or Aerowings (etc...) as I class those as a different sub genre of shooter. Likewise, MDK2 and other 3rd person adventure/platformers aren't in there because I class them differently again. And I just didn't want to make this a 16 part series. Anywho, I'd love some feedback! Are there any I missed? Part 2 to come soon!

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TUnS4GqW_wY

A couple other DC & Saturn compilation videos I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGYTwV74WFc&list=PL2D8B51EF4421740C&index=11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpulHRUgNA&list=PL2D8B51EF4421740C
by Ri_oh
Sun May 12, 2013 6:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Multiplayer Dreamcast Games?

A personal favorite among my friends and I is the Illbleed minigame. We have lost countless hours to this random Easter egg. Check it out.

phpBB [video]
by Ri_oh
Mon May 27, 2013 1:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mirror's Edge

Pratchett not back for ME 2. Thank god : http://beefjack.com/news/rhianna-pratch ... ittle-sad/
by Ri_oh
Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA Cup Europe on today - huge Virtua Fighter event!

Thanks for the heads up! Def going to tune in. I love watching pro vf.
by Ri_oh
Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Worst Games on Dreamcast

A lot of them.

Blue Stinger...yes I said it

Kiss Physco Circus
Who Wants to Beat Up a Millionaire
I recall the WCW/WWF games not being very good
Omikron
Wild Metal Country
any of the sarge games
Tomb Raider
102 Dalmations Puppies
Chefs Love Shack
The Grinch
dragon riders
Fighting Force 2 (this was very nearly Streets of Rage 4 as that was it was originally in development for)
Floigan Brothers
Spawn
Soul Fighter
ducati world

I can't think of anymore. I am sure there is more.

I have a soft spot for Spawn and KISS. KISS was a fun, albeit stripped down shooter that could have been much better with multiplayer. Spawn was unbalanced, but still fun on a brainless level.

Tomb Raider 4, though not the height of the series, still holds a special place in my heart. Omikron was better on PC, but I still like it on DC. Flawed, but still ambitious enough to be good. Only worthwhile thing Quantic has ever produced IMO.

Blue Stinger...yes I said it

Is that... a surprise? I thought most people consider it a terrible game to begin with?
I think it's kind of fun in a really doofy sort of way, but still... I thought it was widely thought to be pretty bad.

I love Blue Stinger. Yes, the characters look like they're made of hotdogs. The story and voice acting are horrid. But it does fall into that doofy sort of fun like you said. That, and it was my first DC game so i have mad nostalgia.

Of all the game listed (that i've played) none really stand out as being so bad they are unplayable. The one game that I do see mentioned again and again is Who Wants to Beat Up a Millionaire? I have no idea what the game even looks like, and I don't want to. At least not until I have it in my hands. The mystery surrounding this pile of poo just keeps getting bigger. I need to have it.
by Ri_oh
Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 2D

Great idea. Really looking forward to this. Good luck!
by Ri_oh
Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gunlord (IndieGoGo WiiU 3DS Campaign)

Gunlord, one of the most recent independent Dreamcast games, is looking to come to Nintendo's platforms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK3UlmM5z7s

What do you think? Did you play the DC version? It was refreshing to have a new DC game that wasn't a side scrolling space shooter. I loved the Turrican/Metroid layout of the levels. Great soundtrack too. I wish NG Dev Team the best of luck. They do such a great job supporting the DC and Neo Geo, it would be nice to see them grow bigger and hit more platforms with their work. They're one of the few developers actually developing "classic" games. Not just modern games with a "retro" veneer.
by Ri_oh
Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Game Developers

AM2 for sure. Mostly when Suzuki was there. But even after his departure they have remained strong. Probably the only developer i can honestly say has never made a game i dislike (though i have yet to play VF Quest).

Am1
Team Ryu Ga Gotoku (or whatever they call themselves...)
Team Ninja (they were best with Itagaki, but are still strong since reforming)
Sumo Digital
Smilebit/Andromeda(rip)
Core Design (rip)
Rebellion
Falcom(mostly just for Ys 1-3)
Capcom(when Mikami & Inafune were making RE. But i like most of the company's dc stuff)
Platinum Games
Crazy Games/Climax Graphics(rip)
Crystal Dynamics
EA in the early 90s(rip)
New World Computing(rip)
id
Starbreeze

Sure i'm missing some, but those are the main ones i follow.
by Ri_oh
Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dreamcast Worlds

http://zoyastreet.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/front-web.jpg?w=716&h=1024

I'm about 2 chapters in, and I love it. It's so refreshing to have a academic take on the "video games as art debate". The perspective is also from that of gamers and development, and not from marketing and critics. I thought I knew Sega, but i've learned a lot in the short time i've spent with it so far. Definitely worth a read for anyone into game development, or just the DC and its legacy.
by Ri_oh
Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dreamcast Worlds

I got my copy from supporting the Indiegogo fund. But you can buy it off Zoya's website right now : http://rupazero.com/
by Ri_oh
Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Deadfall Adventures.

It's incredibly cheesy. And there are some minor annoyances with the checkpoint system. But overall I really enjoyed my time with it. Great puzzles/level design, and fun multiplayer. My video review:

phpBB [video]
by Ri_oh
Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

I'm a perv.
by Ri_oh
Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Dementium 2 HD - PC

The original was one of the only reasons I held onto my DS as long as I did. Having a horror game for a mobile console was a real treat. Though the saving and level design did cause me to rage quit a few times, overall I really thought they were onto something special. I traded in my DS before the 2nd one came out, but heard lots of good things. Apparently they had addressed most of the major problems of the first.

It made me very excited to hear the 2nd game was getting the HD treatment for a PC port. I followed the game for months until they announced it would be released right before Christmas. I pre-ordered and eagerly awaited it to unlock on my Steam account.

I feel like I have been raped in the face. How did they port this so badly? Aside from the freezing and saving problems the game has absolutely terrible hit detection. It literally feels like i'm playing a DS game blown up to a bigger screen.

Some of these problems could be patched, yes. But the level design is bland. The game isn't even close to scary. And the "HD" tag is a complete joke. In a way i'm glad I pre-ordered, so I only wasted $10 instead of $15. Though it would have been nice to not get ripped off at all. Terrible game.

My video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxpkN501hAc
by Ri_oh
Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

ShenSun wrote: Fuck, i have to work during Sony's press conference. What the hell should i do ppl?

Quit 8)
by Ri_oh
Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic