Search found 386 matches

Return

Re: Help fighting Eileen/Izumi

Let me be clear. I have beaten Izumi about half a dozen times, all of which were on the xbox version.

I personally find the xbox version easier than the DC version, because I'm american and can't convert my Shenmue 1 saves so I have a default II move list.
by Himuro
Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help fighting Eileen/Izumi

I'm fighting Izumi now and no way is the Xbox version not easier than this. The QTE during the fight in particular, I have NEVER seen this used in this frequency.

edit: just wasted her. :D
by Himuro
Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

Damn. This thread is still alive.

Excited for SMT4. :)
by Himuro
Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE II CHARACTER DATABASE - ALL 700 CHARACTERS!!

I am really glad this is finally done. I've been waiting for this ever since i joined. :mrgreen: Congratulations on completing such a tremendous undertaking and thank you, sir, for doing it. =D>
by Himuro
Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi guys

It's been a while. How is everyone? I miss you all. Is Kiyuu still around? What about Orange Lighting? Ziming, YS, Yama, Henry Spencer, and LanDC?
by Himuro
Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

I'm honestly shocked at most of the responses here. I found the actual post mortem to be very insightful. It was great getting a peak into the inner workings of my favorite game series.The anecdotes, and early prototype stories - particularly the Peach Tree one, as well as the humorous convenience store one - really breathed some life into the talk, which was colorful and full of fan service. Hopefully Yu and Cerny do a Shenmue II post mortem soon, especially given the fact it's my favorite title.
by Himuro
Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Guys.

It's fucking nothing.

This thread is why the Shenmue fanbase and the games themselves are considered a joke by gamers. Nothing is going to happen.
by Himuro
Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Hosting

Will support you any time.
by Himuro
Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

How the hell was the Hazuki family so wealthy? Did Iwao have 100s of paying students or what?

I know this is old, but it's pretty clear that the Hazuki's are an old samurai family. In Yamanose, they are the biggest house at the top of the neighborhood, indicating status and importance. They have a family/clan symbol that seems to indicate a history. Remember the katana and the sword arm guard. That's a weapon of status. You should also remember that Ryo's Buddhist, and historically, martial artists who were Buddhist hailed from samurai families (i.e. WW2).
by Himuro
Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Ryo also inhibits the most samurai of characterization: stoic, guarded in emotion, who highly values honor, and is not a particularly big fan of admitting weakness or need of help.

During the Meiji Restoration, Buddhism symbolized the shogunate and the Japanese power structure, including the samurai. Many fought to destroy Buddhism in Japan called the Haibutsu kishaku (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haibutsu_kishaku). Given that the Hazuki style is extremely well developed, it's reasonable to conclude that it has been developed for centuries. Given the wealth, the martial arts style, the religions, everything indicates Ryo has samurai heritage. I'm most curious how they'd retain their wealth post-meiji, however, given that samurai were cast off. They likely used the dojo as a means for sustenance. But during the game there's nothing to indicate they had students besides Fuku and Ryo. So I'm not sure.

all of this is hypothetical, but i feel there's enough evidence for it. Plus, it's fun to talk about.
by Himuro
Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Morning Fog's Wave

Fucking incredible song. Was just listening to the orchestrated version and I always think of so many memories and things when I listen to it. Incredible work.
by Himuro
Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

You make some salient points, OL. I'm not saying they're bad. I'm in particular a big fan of Ridge Racer and Time Crisis. I'll also note Ridge Racer came out before Daytona. Most of my ire is fired at Tekken. Tekken WAS a Virtua Fighter rip off, and I've always felt it was a bad one. Tekken was very big on aping VF. When VF3 introduced the side step, it was in Tekken 3 the following year. It often came across as blatant to me. I wouldn't be so antsy about it if the Sega games ever received half of the recognition the Namco games did, especially Virtua Fighter.

As for best arcade developer of the 80's/90's, hard to choose. Konami, Namco, Sega, Taito all brought it.
by Himuro
Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

Oh. I've never played Shadow Dancer. I've never even seen it referred as Shinobi IIi.

Golden Axe is trash.
by Himuro
Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm working on an essay on Shenmue franchise and religion

The Shenmue franchise is rife with spirituality and religion.

One thing not too many Shenmue fans know is that Shenmue is actually based off of a genre - Shenmo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gods_and_demons_fiction

It's a genre of Gods and Demons. It's a Chiense genre that traditional mixes spirituality, religion, martial arts, and ethical lessons into a beautiful package. My favorite book of all time, Journey to the West, is one such example, and the book is famous for its Buddhist allegory. I would make the argument that Shenmue is a Taoist allegory, and still blends the religion and martial arts of the genre's tradition.

Something to consider. I'll post the article whenever I get the chance. :)
by Himuro
Mon May 25, 2015 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Not only that, but Shenmue 1 dub is fantastic by virtue of its hilarity. Komine and the sailors delivery particularly. YOU LYING?!?! DON'T FORGET TO SAY GOODBYE! WAYYYYYYYY UNCOOL (Ryo sounds like such a geek here hahahaha). Game is the funniest unintentionally hilarious game of all time for me. It adds to the martial arts movie cheese and makes it feel authentic to the experience, being a big fan of wuxia film.

Now compare to Shenmue II. Shenmue II dub really doesn't have hilarious VO like the original game. Outside of maybe Xiuying's voice I'd even just say it's flat out terrible. It doesn't have the same weight or emotion of the original Japanese vo, but it doesn't have the charm and comedy of the first games dub either. It's just there, and it fucking sucks.
by Himuro
Fri May 29, 2015 8:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER!

I'm going to tell you a secret.

I never thought I'd ever feel this emotional over a fucking video game, but I cried while watching the announcement. It felt so good and emotional. What a time. Wow.
by Himuro
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 won't be that good

Shut up, no one cares.
by Himuro
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No longer is Shenmue considered a joke

You know what the best part of this is? Every few years I go back to Shenmue Dojo and re-read the Shenmue III section and I just want more but there's no answers. There was always uncertainty of it just never happening and I gave up on it a long time ago. But with this announcement, I saw Yu actually talking about Shenmue III. Like, it existed. For real. I couldn't fathom and I still can't fathom it because for so long we have been left in the dark, toyed with, trolled, and it just feels good to get actual answers from Yu.

Moreover, it feels great actually getting recognition from the gaming community. Shenmue fans for years have been the butt of gamings jokes. You know what it feels like when your favorite game is literally a joke to most people? After Yu's amazing retrospective on Shenmue 1 at GDC, the amount of sheer disrespect during the Q&A towards this gaming legend was enough to make me angry and I could barely finish watching it. But right now, it's no longer a joke. You don't have assholes like Jeff Gertsmann being fucking assholes about Shenmue, because now they've finally learned to shut the fuck up like God intended. But here we are, and Shenmue is smashing Kickstarter records and shit. It just feels really good for the community to have our back and to be happy for us and for Shenmue - one of the most influential games ever made - to be not be treated as a joke and finally get its just recognition.

Today fucking owned.
by Himuro
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Really hope they can bring back the original English voi

I want Chinese voices for maximum immersion.
by Himuro
Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: how come Shenmue 3 is being produced on a $2M budget?

I just don't get why anyone would actually think 2 million is the only budget.
by Himuro
Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Really hope they can bring back the original English voi

MiTT3NZ wrote: No, fuck Japanese w/subs. Even Suzuki preferred the dub. Felt cheated when I played Shenmue II and there was no dub option.

The dub sucks. I want Corey back, though.
by Himuro
Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Did Shenmue III reveal make you cry?

I cried! It's okay because I'm a girl! :P
by Himuro
Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

I didn't play Shenmue 1 or 2 14 years go.

I played them in 2006. :p

But, since I did play them? My grandma and grandpa died (different sides of the family, so everyone was affected) around Christmas in 2006. It was the worst Christmas I ever had and its been had for me to enjoy the holiday ever since.

I graduated college.

I got a job, dated people.

I started exploring my sexuality more and managed to admit to myself I like men while also realizing I was transgender. I later transitioned from male to female.

I've focused on my art heavily to achieve my dream of working in animation and so far, let's just say, that goal is going well so far. :)

Next up? Moving to LA. \:D/
by Himuro
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Forbes Article want us to stop donating to Shenmue 3

http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2pjqyf/yet_another_poorly_researched_semihitpiece_by/
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2rgl5f/dave_thier_2015_as_the_year_everyone_forgot_about/
http://www.gamersagainstgamergate.com/video-game-industry-blame-misogyny-harassment/

Another of those fucking "journalists" that care about their friends and clickbait, we know the deal about these "journalists"

Funny that today shenmue is actually clickbait lol

No one gives a fuck about your MRA reddit bullshit on Shenmue Dojo.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New generation of Shenmue fans?

Don't have her watch the Shenmue movie friend, haha. It's really bad.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

I posted this on the Kickstarter comment section. Agree/Disagree?

Thank you Yu, and everyone else involved doing this. However, there's a lot of confusion with this Kickstarter. I think you guys are unknowingly damaging the potential for the Kickstarter. Besides revealing Sony's involvement on the first day of the Kickstarter, giving people the idea that there is no more need to back it on Kickstarter because a big company like Sony is supporting it, there's also a lot of vagueness in relation to the stretch goals.

For example, what exactly is Raport? What is the Skill Tree? What are Character Perspectives? No one knows or understands, and this vagueness leaves doubts not only on your potential backers but current backers. Could you further expound upon these features?

Finally, why isn't Yu doing interviews all over the place for the Kickstarter to give information? There was a French interview on Youtube, but not one available in English. A lot of the marketing so far is scattershot and unorganized. Please do better. Thank you, a grateful Shenmue fan.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Exploded

I donated!
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Only 2 Million?

Derp.
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ideas to help the Kickstarter campaign

We need to work on this! Contact Rocco!

I posted this on the Kickstarter comment section. Agree/Disagree?

Thank you Yu, and everyone else involved doing this. However, there's a lot of confusion with this Kickstarter. I think you guys are unknowingly damaging the potential for the Kickstarter. Besides revealing Sony's involvement on the first day of the Kickstarter, giving people the idea that there is no more need to back it on Kickstarter because a big company like Sony is supporting it, there's also a lot of vagueness in relation to the stretch goals.

For example, what exactly is Raport? What is the Skill Tree? What are Character Perspectives? No one knows or understands, and this vagueness leaves doubts not only on your potential backers but current backers. Could you further expound upon these features?

Finally, why isn't Yu doing interviews all over the place for the Kickstarter to give information? There was a French interview on Youtube, but not one available in English. A lot of the marketing so far is scattershot and unorganized. Please do better. Thank you, a grateful Shenmue fan.

Just be a total slut for 30 days. Try and get interviewed by everyone and get news sites posting about Shenmue. Yu needs to get in the public light similar to how other Kickstarter project leaders have. Get more developers to make videos about why they love Shenmue, plenty of people have said they love it over the years in interviews. Get someone in the team to interview Yu and put it on the Kickstarter page and drop them every few days. Interviews should have been arranged weeks ago for every major gaming news outlet. I can imagine Yu will just go back to Japan after E3 and we won't hear from him again for months.

Make it clear what these S I&II scenes are. If it's like Shenmue the movie let people know so it doesn't put people off who have never played the series and that they can catch up. Nowhere on the Kickstarter page does it sound welcoming at all to newcomers to the series.

Do a let's play of certain sections of the original Shenmue. In these Yu could just speak about making the game and the history at SEGA. Let's plays aren't my cup of tea but people go crazy for them. Add a tier where you get a monthy skype session or online Q&A's with members of the team working on the games.

Get an english twitter account similar to what Kojima has. The Japansese audience is very small compared to America and America has the biggest funding potential. Only starting to use Twitter again about a day before E3 was silly. This isn't like the FFVII announcement where it's a nice surprise. For a Kickstarter that only lasts 30 days you should be teasing it for quite awhile.

Don't announce you'll do shows like the one in Monoco. Announce stretch goals that you will go to places like PAX, Tokyo Game Show, Playstation Experiance and Gamecom. No one outside of the core people who already have donated will care about seeing a game at an anime convention in Monoco. A tier could be made that if you donate enough you get access to a special Q&A with Yu or early hands on time with the game at Pax would bring in some extra money. If people are willing to pay £10,000 and also pay to fly to Tokyo to have dinner with the guy they'll do it if they don't have to pay to fly and his coming to PAX so extra dinners is something.

Include tiers like letting people voice a character or to let them name something in a tier between the $500-$10,000. You're letting people include their name in the credits why not let some people add a message next to their name for a few extra dollars to get a few people to up their pledge. Heck for even more money get your photo in the credits. Include a tier where people can have themselves made into a toy capsule Ryo can collect.

The toy capsules replicas are great but have a donation pledge to get replicas of the mirrors. Make them a decent quality so you can ask for more to get them.

The Double Fine team did a documentary about making the game that certain backers got access to. The Shenmue III story will be one people want to watch.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47619&p=1090026#p1089927

FUck yeah, a let's play commentated by Yu Suzuki would be incredible.

Gametrailers is doing one of Shenmue II, would be awesome to see Huber, Yu Suzuki, Rocco from mega64, or some guys hyping the shit of Shenmue for people that haven't played it.

The whole 70 man battle scenes, the third disk of shenmue II, the ending.

Don't make it 1 hour long, but something like 15 minutes hyping the shit out of the game.

+1 to the mirrors replicas.

The documentary is great, but actually quite expensive, DF hurted a lot, it was awesome (even more so than the actual game), but just saying "exclusive making of videos for X tier backers" would be great.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47619&p=1090026#p1089941
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III Kickstarter marketing needs some work

The marketing for this KS is atrocious. The video tells nobody who doesn't know what Shenmue is anything about it or why it's special. It's just "here's Shenmue III, do you like it???" When it should be recapping the story of a boy driven by anger and revenge as he goes to extremes to find his fathers killer on an epic coming of age Kung fu story. But no, Yu talks about move scrolls instead. They could even go the "You know QTE's? Well Shenmue modernized it and every game you've played since that has had them since is jacking our shit without the quality. Suck on it" or how about "Shenmue was a game of ahead of its time that had unparalled attention to detail and tight, focused storytelling." It makes no sense.

It has been coasting on the goodwill of Shenmue fans and the interest of non-fans. It needs more than that and to articulate why such a game would make Huber act like an excited child and end up grasping his co-workers hands in tears. It needs to show WHY it's so special to us so it can be passed on to a new generation.

Even the Kickstarters aesthetic looks amateur.

You got all these interviews and stuff, and how many of them are in English? Please stop with the French stuff. The game will only be at Monaco? But not TGS or GDC or PAX? What is this foolishness? France isn't that special and doesn't have a monopoly on Shenmue fans. Try marketing this in China, for isntance.

The marketing for this KS is AWFUL and we as Shenmue fans can do better than them. Yu needs our help!
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki doing Reddit AMA tomorrow!

This is really strange I know, but I've never used Reddit, I don't know what it is or how to use it. How can I access Yu Suzuki's Q+A tomorrow on the website? The layout is pretty confusing to me. Is there anyway we can submit our questions in advance on the reddit website?

No you can't submit in advance. Sign up and tomorrow when his AMA goes up, post a question in it. What confuses you about the layout? Maybe I can help?

Thanks Himuro. To be honest I can't work out exactly how the website actually works. I'm not really sure what Reddit actually is.

I go onto http://www.reddit.com and i'm just greeted with a list of different topics down the main page, just seems a bit confusing. Is it just a website where people comment any certain topics? :???:

(Feel like I'm starting to show my age lol)

The subreddit where Yu will likely show is either r/gaming or r/iama

You can see them here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming

and

http://www.reddit.com/r/iama
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

In the latest update that's what it says! It starts at 9:30 PM PST!

I have compiled a list of questions and concerns from users of Shenmue Dojo:

FINAL SHENMUE DOJO QUESTIONS

Updated questions:

1. Will Shenmue III enable PayPal or a means to donate the project when the Kickstarter ends? Projects like Star Citizen gained tens of millions in donations by allowing this.

2. In Shenmue III will Ryo's notebook and Timex watch return?

3. the kickstarter page seems to be lacking a detailed summary of the series so far, are there any plans to update the page in order to provide more information for Shenmue newcomers? It makes the series not come off as friendly for newcomers.

4. In Shenmue III, will battles return? There has been talk that you are simplifying them, does this mean we will no longer get Virtua Fighter like fights? How will fights work? Will they be entirely QTE-based as seen in modern titles like Heavy Rain or will they still have corresponding punch and kick buttons like before?

5. How accurately will Shenmue III be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

6. Will Shenmue III be at Tokyo Game Show, GDC, and PAX or only Monaco?

7. Many fans want the option to play the game with a Japanese voice track. Is YSnet considering implementing this?

8. Are all the towns listed in the Kickstarter stretch goals in the game already, or are the stretch goals only there as a means to help give them more features and spice?

9. Sony and other investors are only funding a part of the games budget. Does this mean most of the budget will come from the Kickstarter? More importantly, how much does Suzuki-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue III?

10. It would be helpful if the Kickstarter made stretch goals more straightforward. As they are now, they are quite vague and confusing, even to experienced Shenmue fans. For example, what exactly is rapport?

11. Will the gameplay in Shenmue III be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

12. Seeing as how the game is set in a remote forested region how sparsely populated will the game be, will there be wildlife?

13. What will the level of npc interactivity be and how detailed will their behavior be?

14. How much of an influence will fan base feedback have during the making of this game?

15. Will you try to finish the story over the course of 2-3 more games as you originally envisioned?

16. Online is a big component of modern day gaming, is there any consideration for incorporating some type of online game play? Some type of mini-games, co-op missions or fighting modes?

17. I am new to Shenmue and don't find the Kickstarter promotional video to be terribly informative. Are there plans in making a new one? I'd like to back it on Kickstarter but nothing on the page is telling me what Shenmue remotely is.

18. Will character polls compromise your artistic vision?

GavinGT from Neogaf has a good set of questions for his AMA. What questions would you like to see or ask?! Post them here!!

Updated List of Questions for Friday's Yu Suzuki AMA

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

Seems like Yu Suzuki just wants to finish the story instead of making a great game...I hope I am wrong.

I mean the Goal was $2million, that isn't much for the scale of a great Shenmue game....I know I would sound crazy but the goal should've been much higher at least $10million.

A $10 million goal would of lit a fire under every bodies asses and made people much more hyped.

Of course they need proper marketing/trailer to pull that off....The Trailer was really meh, didn't show anything about the game, a proper done trailer showing Shenmue's cities in the new Unreal 4 engine would of hyped the game much more.

As for Yu Suzuki, he is an innovator but yeah it has been a long time...Yu Suzuki is a guy who pushes the limits, thats what Im hoping for shenmue 3, but sadly that takes money.

Shenmue 3 Immersivness pushing the envelope on games>story IMO

The 2 million was never said to fund the whole game. Holy shit, how many times do we have to go over this?

He says very clearly he is embracing the open world game nature of Shenmue's past right here:

http://mobile.siliconera.com/all/2015-06-17-yu-suzuki-wants-to-introduce-a-new-qte-system-for-shenmue-3#1
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today!

I have compiled a best of list of all of Shenmue Dojo's questions and concerns throughout this entire forum. I hope I did it with accuracy and respect. Please comment on how these may be improved and do not come off as combative towards Suzuki-san. Please share it on GAF and other sites so we may have some communication and sharing of ideas between our fanbase.

1. Will Shenmue III enable PayPal or a means to donate the project when the Kickstarter ends? Projects like Star Citizen gained tens of millions in donations by allowing this.

3. Why does the Kickstarter page not give a good summary of the series thus far? It makes the series not come off as friendly for newcomers. Also, the Kickstarter page does not have the sites updates on it. That could be useful information for backers, would you consider implementing it?

4. In Shenmue III, will battles return? There has been talk that you are simplifying them, does this mean we will no longer get Virtua Fighter like fights? How will fights work? Will they be entirely QTE-based as seen in modern titles like Heavy Rain or will they still have corresponding punch and kick buttons like before?

5. How accurately will Shenmue III be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

7. Many fans want the option to play the game with a Japanese voice track. Is YSnet considering implementing this?

8. Are all the towns listed in the Kickstarter stretch goals in the game already, or are the stretch goals only there as a means to help give them more features and spice?

9. Sony and other investors only funding a part of the games budget. Does this mean most of the budget will come from the Kickstarter? More importantly, how much does Suzuki-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue III?

10. It would be helpful if the Kickstarter made stretch goals more straightforward. As they are now, they are quite vague and confusing, even to experienced Shenmue fans. For example, what exactly is rapport?

11. Will the gameplay in Shenmue III be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

12. Seeing as how the game is set in a remote forested region how sparsely populated will the game be, will there be wildlife?

13. What will the level of npc interactivity be and how detailed will their behavior be?

14. How much of an influence will fan base feedback have during the making of this game?

15. Will you try to finish the story over the course of 2-3 more games as you originally envisioned?

16. Online is a big component of modern day gaming, is there any consideration for incorporating some type of online game play? Some type of mini-games, co-op missions or fighting modes?

17. I am new to Shenmue and don't find the Kickstarter promotional video to be terribly informative. Are there plans in making a new one? I'd like to back it on Kickstarter but nothing on the page is telling me what Shenmue remotely is.
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For a new page.

I have compiled a best of list of all of Shenmue Dojo's questions and concerns throughout this entire forum. I hope I did it with accuracy and respect. Please comment on how these may be improved and do not come off as combative towards Suzuki-san. Please share it on GAF and other sites so we may have some communication and sharing of ideas between our fanbase.

3. Why does the Kickstarter page not give a good summary of the series thus far? It makes the series not come off as friendly for newcomers. Also, the Kickstarter page does not have the sites updates on it. That could be useful information for backers, would you consider implementing it?

9. Sony and other investors only funding a part of the games budget. Does this mean most of the budget will come from the Kickstarter? More importantly, how much does Suzuki-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue III?

by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For a new page.

3. The Kickstarter page isn't helpful for newcomers to Shenmue as it could be. For example, it doesn't accurately show what Shenmue is or why it's special to people. However, the website does. There feels like there's a lack of communication between the Kickstarter and the official site. For example, there is a Shenmue history video on the website that isn't on the Kickstarter. There's also an interview with Tak Hirai that isn't on the Kickstarter. Could you possibly make the Kickstarter page more accurately convey what Shenmue is and why it matters to people who have never heard of it by communicating more between the Kickstarter and the official website?

It's a great list and between this and gavinGT's list I think all bases are pretty well covered, but to be honest I think some of the questions involving kickstarter are a bit harsh. If you were to ask a question about kickstarter I wouldn't start out by criticizing what you think is wrong with it, I'd simply ask, "Why doesn't kickstarter feature ______? or "Will the Kickstarter page include ________ "?

So for example for question 3 instead of starting out by saying "the kickstarter page isn't helpful" you could say "Will you be updating the kickstarter page to make it more informative for newcomers to the series?" Or you could go the q #17 route and make it sound like more of a personal complaint as opposed to an outright criticism.

It's unlikely that anyone will get more than one question in at a time so hopefully people will review both lists and if they see a question hasn't been asked yet they will try to do so.

At the very least someone should tell Yu Suzuki they love him..

Great feedback.
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jack, I have rephrased the question.

How is this?

by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hyo Razuki wrote: Could someone please post a link to the YS AMA? I find the layout extremely confusing.

It hasn't started yet.
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Sorry. I am freaking out because I want this kickstarter to do well and they making me pull my hair out over here.
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Peter, they have had 14 years to prepare for Shenmue III and this game is nowhere on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. It is coasting on good will of Shenmue fans.

This isn't a "bandwagon of negativity". This is being realistic. The game has been funded, but at the current trajectory, the game may bomb. Emphasis on may. They are doing an awful job here, and your "only positive thoughts" schtick isn't helping. It is not only unrealistic, it comes across as highly naive and boyish.

Let's be honest here, Peter. They are having an AMA on Reddit when most people are busy doing things or are asleep, and you're completely fine with it. They could offer poop in a box as a Tier Reward and you would be fine with it.

There's a difference between "negativity" and objectivity. Any and all criticisms thrown towards this Kickstarter campaign in this thread are all objective and factual.
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What modern gaming features would you like to see in S3?

I'd really like an online mode strictly for minigames. I'd like to have an online mode where you can choose a character and fight against them Virtua Fighter style. Or if you choose, you can play against them in Darts like you do in II with those NPCs and challenge each other for score.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What modern gaming features would you like to see in S3?

I'd like for more ways to have conversations. I wish there were a way to pick what you wanted to say with npc's, for instance. Sometimes I want to talk to an NPC about what they're doing today and Ryo just asks a question about what to do next or the next plot point. To be fair, Shenmue II expanded this and allowed for wider npc interaction, but at the same time I want more! :D :lol:
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic