Search found 656 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue I or II (v. 2012)

Himuro wrote:
Peter wrote: I mean the Kowloon building raid topic that was done when the game was released truely was fantastic.

Please find a link to this? :)

Here ya go. Its a great read for nostalga :D :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8638&hilit=kowloon+building+raid
by Peter
Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SII CHAR DATABASE-ALL 700 (AND 1) CHARACTERS! UPDATE 27/3/15

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/askvera/s2cd_sigbanner.png

DOWNLOAD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qkby011a3tkgg2/Shenmue%20II%20Character%20Database.rar

Yep. After nearly a decade, it's done, people :D

HISTORY OF THE SHENMUE II CHARACTER DATABASE PROJECT
Ever since casting my eyes upon screenshots of Shenmue published in the (now defunct) UK magazine Computer and Video Games, I have been absolutely enthralled by the series. This game was definitely something different. As the famous tagline proclaimed in the trailers before its release – RPG had changed. Sure, hailing the game as being its own exciting new “genre” with a somewhat silly acronym as its name (FREE- Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment) was being a tad overzealous perhaps, but you had to admire Yu Suzuki’s ambition for this game. When I finally got to play it on the Christmas morning of 2000, it did not disappoint. The atmosphere created was just amazing to me – a realistic, living, breathing town with over 300 individual characters – all with their own specific daily routines and, in supplementary materials, all named and given detailed biographies! Throw in the fantastic music and the engaging (if not completely original) story and you really had something special. And this was only part one of the saga...

Bundled with the game was the ‘Shenmue Passport’ disc. Through the Dreamcast’s internet connection, this enabled access to all sorts of information about the game, as well as ranking leaderboards for the various mini-games and the chance to get exclusive capsule toys. One of the best features was the character profile section however; as you met and conversed with the characters during a playthrough, their profiles would gradually be added to the Passport. Now to some, giving all 300+ characters names, stats, and biographies may seem extraneous, (especially given characters that Ryo can’t even speak to have detailed information about them!) but it really shows the love and care put into the game by the developers and the amount of depth to Shenmue that few games have matched.

PASSPORT EXPIRED
The Passport service was eventually taken offline in April 2002, but thankfully the character profiles had also been published in Prima’s strategy guide book for the game, so the information was still readily available to fans.
Which brings us to the sequel game, Shenmue II – which I got the following Christmas in 2001. This sadly could end up being the last game in the series, despite it ending on a cliffhanger and at a game-changing point in the saga’s story. Nonetheless, the sequel’s world was even bigger than the first’s– Ryo travels to Hong Kong to continue his quest, with most of its areas completely dwarfing Shenmue I’s in terms of size, as well as the amount of characters – around 700. There was also a lot more mini-games and sidequests to discover, and fans generally agree it is more action-packed and that the plot moves a lot quicker than the first game (though some will argue Shenmue I’s atmosphere has more charm) And what of these 700-odd characters? Were they all named and profiled as per the original game? As it turns out, yes – but these were not readily available to the fans outside of Japan.

Firstly, unlike the first Shenmue, there was no Passport. There was no Prima guide either, as the Dreamcast version had been cancelled in America. America eventually saw an updated version of Shenmue II on the Microsoft Xbox, and a Prima guide was finally published. However, unlike the Shenmue I book, there were only profiles on the main characters; Ryo, Shenhua, Xiuying, Fangmei, Ren, Joy, Wong, Lan Di, Dou Niu and Yuan. The Xbox version, with the new snapshot feature, did include profiles on some of the other characters; unlocked when you took pictures of them, but it didn't come close to having profiles for all the characters. Would we ever know the names and backgrounds of the reams of anonymous characters?

A FAN EFFORT
Shortly after I had completed Shenmue II, I looked around on the internet for fansites/information about the series, ultimately finding the excellent Shenmue Dojo website. I joined the forums, and this was in fact one of the first message boards I signed up to on the internet. My handle on the forum was (and still is) ‘Miles Prower’, as I am also a long-time fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games (and Sega games in general). I made a lot of good friends through the Dojo community and have many fond memories associated with the forums. I think between us we have probably discussed every single aspect of the games to death, but as many fans will attest, you find or notice something new with every playthrough of these wonderful games. Not to mention the very active hacking/modding scene that developed, mostly headed by longtime member LanDC, in which reams of unused content was discovered and many interesting and or humourous modifications made to the game. I still get a warm nostalgic feeling every time I watch LanDC’s Road to Amihama videos in particular.

And indeed, the question of whether detailed character profiles existed for Shenmue II’s cast was raised in discussion. In a thread from 2003, a member named Eek the Cat shared some scans of a guidebook he owned published in Japan called the Shenmue II Perfect Guidebook. The scans showed that there were indeed names and profiles for each and every character.
Eek was even kind enough to put all of the scans together on a CD for me and mail it to me, and even threw in a couple of audio CD’s he had compiled containing music from Shenmue II (sadly the second game never had any official soundtracks released).

The problem? Being that this book was from Japan, the character names were in Chinese and the information in Japanese. Through discussion in the topic, another forum member called khien agreed to help with translating the character names as she could read Chinese. And so began the effort to translate the many character profiles. I began by gradually posting them within the topic, and then eventually creating a website (which, thanks to Web Archive, you can still view here , albeit with most of the images missing).

Continuing into 2004 and beyond, progress was quite slow, mainly due to me starting university. Khien’s life ended up becoming quite busy as well, but thanks to the efforts of another forum member, Oda Ryo, the translation work still continued. The forum member Kiyuu (possibly Japan’s biggest Shenmue fan, and often referred to as the ‘Shenmue Queen’), also informed me that another book existed, the Shenmue II Complete Guide, which contained profiles for characters not included in the Perfect Guidebook; namely those for the many pedestrians who wander the streets of Hong Kong. I made the effort to acquire this book myself and make scans for the remaining profiles.

RESSURECTING THE PROJECT
As the years went on, however, my free time became less and less. I studied for three years at university and after graduating in 2008, I was working full time; in short I was growing up. It was also looking increasingly unlikely that a Shenmue III would ever emerge. Life went on. However, my enthusiasm to complete the project was somewhat fired up again when Peter from the forums (who most likely owns the biggest Shenmue collection in Ireland) got in touch with me on Facebook asking if I was still working on it, as the Dojo staff had managed to get an interview with one of the voice actors for the English dub of Shenmue II (a very interesting read by the way, which can be found here , and they had requested that video clips be assembled of the characters he voiced, which he supplied a list of – but only by name and brief descriptions. Using the information from my project I helped with finding some of them. I then found myself wanting to get the project finished once and for all, and got back in touch with Oda Ryo who happily assisted me with getting the remaining names translated.

I had also spoken to the member ‘thegreatchai’, who had also been attempting to catalogue the character information on her wiki site, and over time we assisted each other greatly. I began transferring the information to an Excel spreadsheet with the intention of creating a complete database of all the Shenmue II characters – which after assembling a numbered list I discovered there are exactly 700 – surely a deliberate intention of the creators? At any rate, after a few months work the project was finally finished. I am glad that this information is now easily accessible to Shenmue fans, and while some may consider me obsessive or downright insane for pursuing with the project, it was worth it for a game series that I love so much and one day hope will be continued in some form. We can but hope. The saga may still go on....

DOWNLOAD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qkby011a3tkgg2/Shenmue%20II%20Character%20Database.rar

Please feedback and let me know if you spot any mistakes or errors, or any factoids about the characters that I may have missed. Most of all, enjoy :D
by Miles Prower
Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Picture Extravaganza!

My phoenix mirror always reminds me a bit of Shenmue...

by Master Kyodai
Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: David Cage talks with Ryan Paytan and Yu Suzuki

Gawdly interview. It was so out of the blue the way Yu Suzuki was just sitting in the corner :lol: Yu is such legend, he comes across as genuinely nice guy. It has to be said though, when it comes to telling stories in games, Cage hasn't come anywhere near Shenmue's level. The thing that was mentioned about thinking about Shenmue after you put it down, and especially after you finish it, is so true, and that to me, is kinda what cage's games don't have. For example, when you're playing Shenmue, you'll likely sit down for a period every day for however many weeks it takes to complete it, and you follow Ryo and experience the quotidian, the sensational, the intriguing, the quaint little things (one of my top 3 things about Shenmue 2 is the poignant plane scences!) and probably even the tedious. It feels kind of like the real world, yet magical at the same time. Its cinematic in places and heavily story driven, but it doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. In fact, it's surprising how many little and essentially pointless things you can interact with. And so when you finish it you suddenly feel you've really lost something tangible.

Davi'd's games just don't have that; they mirror Hollywood and cinema too much, and as much as I do still enjoy his games, they are glorified movies. So after you've finished Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain, you think (or at least I did), OK that was fun, and then forget about them fast. That experience and connection is missing.
by mue 26
Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

http://s22.postimg.org/cpjxps2m9/postmortemthumb.jpg

The Shenmue Postmortem thread is now open for discussion. Many fans worldwide are anticipating this event, so it's important we have a place to talk about it. It's scheduled to take place on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 2pm (PDT) . The Shenmue postmortem can be viewed in the link below.

Video: Yu Suzuki's Shenmue Postmortem

Other Shenmue Communities: NeoGAF | Shenmue 500k
by Ziming
Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

It was fine until the Q&A.
by Who Really Cares?
Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why Shenmue's Future Only Makes Sense on PS4.

- There's been no actual news regarding Shenmue, y'know.

- Tone is hugely bias and condescending.

- You're making a lot of assumptions and trying to pass them off as "fact".

- "Shenmue's future only makes sense on PS4" only makes sense in Scenario B. Not A, C, D, E, F, G, and so on...

- Discussions/debates amongst fans will have so little impact on Shenmue III's release that it's cringe-worthy to suggest otherwise.

- A 36 minute video could've been easily reduced to a minute by saying "The Xbox brand isn't popular in Japan, Wii-U isn't popular full stop, therefore PS4/PSNStore (whatever) is the most logical option in terms of reaching a large audience".

- Shenmue II on the Xbox isn't shit compared to the DC version by any stretch of the imagination.

- $47mil wasn't the budget for Shenmue I. It was the budget for the costs of the entirety of the project/franchise.

- 90% of this video was going off on tangents which touch on things that have already been touched on more times than an altar boy at the Vatican rather than explaining your point.

- 30:26 to 30:28. Point made in two seconds. Video is 36:37...

- You miss several opportunities to make a much more compelling argument. For instance, the Xbox brand is heavily linked to FPS games and online gaming, whereas the PlayStation brand is renowned for "Action-Adventure" games. You could've even furthered the "big in Japan" argument by stating that PlayStation is associated with Japanese-based games too.

- I understand what you're trying to get at in this video, but you haven't made a compelling argument whatsoever. It would've made more sense to analyse each possible scenario that sees Shenmue return, and point out why Sony funding it as a PlayStation exclusive is the most likely.

- Either way you look at this video though, it's poorly titled. "Only Makes Sense" should be changed to "Makes Most Sense".

- Shave.
by MiTT3NZ
Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Come oooooon Lucky Hit mobile App
by Locke_cole
Fri May 23, 2014 1:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

*Gets excited.* *Reads all pages.* *Realizes, there's still nothing to see here.* *Retreats back into the bushes where he belongs.*

by ChaiOgawa
Tue May 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Are people genuinely expecting something from anyone? Take a look at the games, their grandeur, their development studio, their costs. After presenting their games today, could you really see a Shenmue related game/announcement being made? Seriously?

It's been repeatedly said Suzuki barely has a team big enough to develop a mobile game, never mind a game that could stand side by side with any of the games on display today. You are on glue if you are watching any of the presentations with excitement of seeing a Shenmue trailer.
by Peter
Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

His response is PR bullshit, Shenmue is dead already.

Sorry for being so straightforward. :sad:
by Esppiral
Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Also just economically Japan during the mid 80's was at an all time high. To have kept the wealth they have intact shouldnt have been so hard for them. Also life insurance from both his mother AND father I bet they were also well taken care of..
by Axm
Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

How the hell was the Hazuki family so wealthy? Did Iwao have 100s of paying students or what?

I know this is old, but it's pretty clear that the Hazuki's are an old samurai family. In Yamanose, they are the biggest house at the top of the neighborhood, indicating status and importance. They have a family/clan symbol that seems to indicate a history. Remember the katana and the sword arm guard. That's a weapon of status. You should also remember that Ryo's Buddhist, and historically, martial artists who were Buddhist hailed from samurai families (i.e. WW2).

The fighting style is also well known among other people.

I know nothing about Virtua Fighter lore, but did Akira come from a family similar to that? Is there any kind of detail on similarities and differences between Akira and Ryo?
by TailsAndy
Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Newly found Shenmue art from the Sega Saturn era

A member from the Assemblergames forums who goes by the name TapamN has found some rare Saturn-era artwork from Shenmue. Check them out below!

Sega Saturn Shenmue Art: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
by Ziming
Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Morning Fog's Wave

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenhua is a ghost

Let me add to this about as I mulled this over a bit more tonight. When Ryo gets off the boat and talks to people in that very small village, there are people walking the trail which Ryo starts trekking on. When the weather all of a sudden goes from blue skies to thunderstorm and Ryo goes into the river and eventually blacks out, he then wakes up to find Shenhua and the goat, but the most interesting thing which may completely go over our heads is that since that point, nobody else is seen on all those trails, not one other person passing through.... In fact the whole rest of the game you see not a soul other than Shenhua. Maybe he's not dead per se, I doubt that given what we know that happens after of what has been disclosed. However, maybe all of that was sort of an alternate universe kind of like in Sonic Adventure, or even a dream? It did seem way too magical at the end compared to the theme of the entire game from Chapter One. Maybe after the cave Shenhua sort of dissappears, at least for a time and Ryo goes back to the home to find it's in a state of disrepair as nobody could have lived in there for years. However Shenhua's spirit guided Ryo to Guilin as the Phoenix is the spirit that protects life.

Now i got it! Ryo is a ghost! He drowned when he tried to rescue Shenhua and the goat.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is the closest Jujitsu style closest to Ryo's?

Shenmue brought an expectation for me that jujitsu had a lot of strikes on top of the throw oriented combat. Looking at jujitsu displays, that's not the case. It's mostly about throwing and grabs. I would like strikes too, but no jujitsu school I've found has an large number of strikes. In fact, I think jujitsu - and further, other japanese martial arts - just don't look appealing, which is surprising because the fighting style Ryo uses really appeals to me. I realize it's a game, but I was really interesting in doing something similar.

Old school Jiujitsu incorporated strikes into it, given that it originally came from the battlefield. The reason why the Hazuki style doesn't resemble jiujitsu is because it isn't jiujitsu. It's mainly a mix of various techniques of whatever looks visually appealing. As for Japanese martial arts not looking visually appealing, that's mainly because Japanese martial arts are pretty spartan in nature and are focused on maximum efficiency and no wasted movement.

Some of Ryo's throws like the uchimata, seoi nage(the basic B throw), and the tomoe nage (I don't remember the in-game name, but whatever the default <-B throw is) are straight out of modern Judo. The arm break throw looks like it comes from classic jiujitsu. The Swallow Flip resembles a classic Wing Chun move, though other kung fu styles practice it. I think there was a throw that looked like it came from Aikido, but it's been awhile since I last played and I could be remembering that wrong.

The striking techniques could have come from a number of styles, since many striking styles share the same techniques and only have minor differences in execution. Moves like the Mantis Chop and Iron Palm could come from various kung fu disciplines. The basic punches and kicks most likely come from karate and the more fancy acrobatic kicks are probably from Tae Kwon Do. The kata that Ryo showed Hanhui was definitely karate-based IMO.

The fight between Iwao and Lan Di isn't realistic at all and looks like something out of a Shaw Brothers film. However, if we wanted complete realism from Shenmue, we wouldn't have duck races.

I think the hazuki style mixes multiple disciplines. I'm no expert but it seems like it has a bit of everything.
Canonically, Iwao probably mixed in stuff he learned from various kung fu styles during his trips to China.
by Calshot
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

I know a lot of us get delusional when e3 comes around, but it really feels like we're been building up to this moment for years now...

- yu reemerges from the darkness and starts giving interviews, acknowledges shenmue demand and his willingness to make it
- yu revisits shenmue at gdc post-mortem
- sony acknowledges demand for shenmue 3 and even claims "rome wasn't built in a day" when we were all pissed last year
- yu seen being chummy with various sony execs for nearly 2 years now
- yu resumes tweeting the god damn same week as e3 is one thing, but him tweeting a pic of a forklift is a freaking sign from the spaghetti monster.

Friends, it's been an honor keeping hope alive with you all these 15 years. If another e3 passes with no news, i'm not giving up.

That being said...

I believe our time has come.
by Xandui
Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

LOL. Thread full of masochists here. It's not happening, HD or 3.
by ShenmueTree
Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just found that Shenmue.info was also updated on 6/2/15. This is a new site, originally created on 5/29/15.
The registrar info is coming from another Japanese location though, onamae.com. The main owner is being kept secret. Those guys have previously registered some of Atlus's trademarks. Persona5.jp was one of theirs, for example.
by CD_Vision
Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I also appreciate how events like E3 bring the community together a bit, and increase the activity on the site and beyond. Makes a change to the same few faces who make up the daily life of here.
by Peter
Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I dunno, I'm really startin to dislike the Shenmue community. They seem a bit too smug n cultish, like they're sitting around a campfire agreeing with eachother on everything, with some enlightened look on their faces because they played a big budget game that no one's ever heard of.

I never understand why people think Shenmue will be a huge hit if it got re released. Sure when it's announced it will be big news but the day after no one will give a fuck until it releases and then some people might play it for a day or two. Shenmue has quite a small fanbase who're just very very vocal. The idea it would be the biggest thing out of E3 is crazy, Fallout 4 has took that crown and the only thing that could snatch it is a FFVII remake or Rockstar announce GTAVI comes with a free hooker. It would be just a normal story out of E3 and might just make the top 5 news stories on a few sites. The original game sold about 1 million copies and that was 15 years ago, many of the people who played it back then have probably stopped playing games altogether now. As much as I love videogames most people tend to put the controller down past the age of 20 and I don't see them picking it back up for one game. If Shenmue III came out tomorrow 2 of my brothers who played the original probably wouldn't even realize and that's most likely the case for a lot of the people who bought those original games.

Do people really think that a HD remaster will sell enough to warrant a AAA budget to make the third game? Think you need a reality check. People can say it was a game ahead of it's time all they want but a game like Shenmue is a much tougher sell then it was in the Dreamcast days when quirky games where the norm.
by Riku Rose
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I dunno, I'm really startin to dislike the Shenmue community. They seem a bit too smug n cultish, like they're sitting around a campfire agreeing with eachother on everything, with some enlightened look on their faces because they played a big budget game that no one's ever heard of.
by MiTT3NZ
Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm calling it now...Shenmue "Something'' will be announced at E3 tonight and it will be the major announcement of Sony's conference. 99% sure. Here is all the evidence:

https://twitter.com/megganpez/status/317526010922954753
https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/476285991255175168
https://twitter.com/JosephJBroni/status/512620941000863745
https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/603154768022736896
https://twitter.com/megganpez/status/605836617157206016
https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/606219350840705024
https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/602250660675854337
https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/610110764704141312

Shenmue WILL make its presence known tonight on the grandest stage of them ALL.

Yu Suzuki-san steps on stage and finally announces: "The story goes on!"

There have been people who have "called it" on this forum every year, for the last 14 years.
by myshtuff
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER!

It's already 1/4 there after several hours. They don't need a month.

Congratulations, Dojoers. After 15 years together, we did our part.
by KiBa
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 won't be that good

Yes, we are all hyped about the recent news about Shenmue 3 being made though Kickstarter, but the game will not be as good as the first two games. Looking at the screenshots of Shenmue 3, it looks terrible. It does not have any shenmue feeling to it. It just looks plain and generic. I know it's early to judge, but looking at these ingame screen shots, they look pretty bad. At least it's better than nothing.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/blink181/942936391c79b3d63a33c350a8add2bb_original_zps4snllw2u.jpg

This fucking guy.
by Joe Pesci
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Dojo and Shenmue Community linked on the OFFICIAL SI

HA, we got the picture with Ryo.
All the others can suck it. We're the main character.
by OL
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Dojo and Shenmue Community linked on the OFFICIAL SITE

One of the proudest things i have ever seen. Thank you Yu for acknowledging the community!

http://shenmue.link/us-en/

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11257739_10153420809657269_2528854018526807156_n.jpg?oh=351e42785ac7ecc01a2f6154d23a4a3a&oe=55EF7B4D

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11427699_10153420809742269_1983519829995904545_n.jpg?oh=154735bd0cc38a9ee7f034253475872c&oe=562931AD

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11407240_10153420809772269_8740303766061667830_n.jpg?oh=d55e840d450ec04ee88159c2d6d86db5&oe=5630EE1F

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11391322_10153420809812269_6660361130253710408_n.jpg?oh=c9726a1c2ad98f59c44362d88f4edb36&oe=5632ED2D

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11391571_10153420809862269_5843973390018055457_n.jpg?oh=0ac732c7c832b1b8ccbc1c549cf09a66&oe=55FC6091
by Peter
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To Be Honest, the Game Happening Is Amazing, But...

Does anyone else find it equally refreshing to just have this game be acknowledged? As in, for the first time in over a decade, this is an open discussion. The air of mystery that has plagued our community is finally gone. We aren't wondering what Yu is thinking anymore. He's telling us. We aren't forced to ask questions that we fear will never be answered. We will never again need to hear a certain, unnamed game publisher not "comment on rumors or speculation" or announce that there are "no plans at this time" ever again. Ever.

In some ways, the announcement has almost taken away a key element of what has made this community special for the past 14 years. Even for us lurkers who have kept up-to-date and silently supported this franchise that we all hold dear. In other ways, it's showed the strength of what a fan-base can really do.

We won't be looked at as the crazies who put faith in an unreachable dream anymore, but the crazies who never stopped believing, and showed that dedication and faith can be rewarded.

While I believe that the very fabric of this community has changed forever, now that our biggest wish is a reality, I just want to say that I'm proud to have been a part of this great group with all of you for all of these years. As a 12-year-old back in 2000, I never thought the journey would last this long, or mean this much.

Thanks for never giving up!
by NSN2014
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was at Club Sega in Tokyo the other day and left a message

I was on a two week holiday to Tokyo and decided to visit a couple of the Club Segas.

I noticed a board that you could leave a little message on so I decided to do what any Shenmue Fan would of done.

Funnily enough after doing it those "Fake" E3 screens appeared and also Yu Suzuki is back on twitter!

I know I am not the saviour of shenmue. I just thought you guys would appreciate it!

http://i.imgur.com/N6dYjtH.jpg
by Snoopbob2006
Tue May 26, 2015 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Forum name changed from "Future of Shenmue" to...

"Shenmue III."

DAMN THAT FELT GOOD!
by Yama
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Holy mother of GOD, EVERYONE! WE DID IT!!!! I donated $10,000 for a dinner with Yu. I know that's crazy but I couldn't fucking help it.
by LanDC
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future ideas for Shenmue PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS

I want it to end on a cliffhanger. Life just won't feel right not waiting for a Shenmue game to be released.
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 won't be that good

This is like sketching on a napkin, without sketching on a napkin... if you're basing anything on this lol.
by Yama
Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No longer is Shenmue considered a joke

Fucking well said. We told them it would be big and we were important. Now Sega, the gaming community and everyone knows we did it. We are getting our game and they can all suck a dick. Lovely day.
Love Yu Suzuki.
Love Sony.
Love Kickstarter.
Love Shenmue.
by Axm
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What jobs will there be in Shenmue 3?

World Series of Darts.
by Taren Fox
Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congratulations, everyone! :D :D :D
We all did it together! =D> =D> =D>
by Kiyuu
Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

We don't need closure everybody. We need continuation. Ideally this goes on further than Shenmue III. We've been dreaming big for so long, are we going to give up with just the idea of III? Never be content with anything! Ever.
by Thief
Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why Shenmue's announcement didn't live up to my hype.

I think too many people took the mockup video too serious. It was meant to show the engine and was prolly done with zero budget - and personally i think the engine looks pretty nice. After funding is done i guess we'll soon see more serious tech demos.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega's Involvement with Shenmue 3

I see it more along the lines of...

Suzuki: "I wanted to use the Shenmue license again to..."
SEGA: "Yeah, sure, whatever, do what you want with it."
Suzuki: "Okay, great, what we're gonna do is..."
SEGA: "Get out of my office."
by MiTT3NZ
Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"Shenmue on a Budget"

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/8795017/shenmue-on-a-budget

Interesting read, all. I don't think this has been shared yet. Apologies if it has!
by NSN2014
Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is anyone else concerned that...

I'm not too concerned. I saw this part of the chapter playing out like a lot of old kung fu flicks. Like uh....like the movie kickboxer when Van Damme started scouting for the trainer in thailand. It had a lot of ancient ruins and small villages. I mean the movie was silly as fuck but you get the idea I'm trying to communicate here.
It's like Ryo goes from the modern world to the ancient where he becomes enveloped in the mysticism of nature and the old ways etc etc etc.

That's kind of what I'm expecting.
by elmatto
Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, fuck , guys. I still can't believe this is actually happening. It was around 3am here when I saw the news and watched the trailer, so I was already in bed watching it on my phone, and I was utterly speechless, before cheering and proceeding to be extremely hyper, leaving my boyfriend extremely confused (though he understood once I explained - he's heard me witter on about Shenmue enough times!). I can't believe after all this time it is finally a reality. I was 14 years old when Shenmue II came out...now that I'm a 28 year old with actual responsibilities and stuff, I could only really afford a $29 pledge, but I knew I had to pay at least something. Like many others, I'm not entirely sure about the way Ryo and Shenhua look, but I'm sure this is only something they quickly knocked together for the trailer and they will look more like their old selves in the final game.

But yeah...I kept daydreaming about the day when this would happen (even faintly when I was beginning to lose hope), and now it's actually here...Yu, you magnificent bastard. You can tell how much he cares about us as fans, and in this day and age that is truly refreshing. I've been very cynical about gaming in general lately,, this current generation failing to excite me really, but obviously I must get a PS4 now (I don't think I'll ever have a PC capable of running it in this lifetime!). I'm already getting excited about posting here again and being a part of all the pre-release buzz, where we will no doubt analyse every screenshot and trailer we receive to death and back. And now I can finally play through the first two games without getting depressed :P

It's been a hell of a wait guys, but hopefully it will be worth it. We only went and fucking did it!!! :mrgreen:
by Miles Prower
Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Let's see -

*Went to uni, got an English Literature degree
*Got a few full time jobs, the current one being a support worker for people with autism (with shit pay for what it involves)
*Realised I was gay and came out gradually to family and friends
*Moved out of my parents house
*Got a long-term boyfriend, who I currently share a house with
*Started writing a novel, and also currently trying to get a poetry collection published

It's crazy to think all this has happened in my life since Shenmue II came out...and by the time 3 does, I will be 30 years old...goddamn...
by Miles Prower
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic