Search found 811 matches

Return

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Henry Spencer wrote: Hey, Kenny's more of a man than me anyway. He beat Superman 64, for crying out loud.

DMC2 is game of the century compared to that abomination.
by Kenny
Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

I actually don't really consider Lynch to be all that pretentious. I usually think of pretentiousness as feeling forced. And even though Lynch's work is weird , and is usually considered to be "art" film (which is, almost inherently, kind of a pretentious term to begin with), it rarely feels like he's necessarily forcing anything. It all seems pretty natural for him.
So I don't really think of him as considering his work in a high-and-mighty fashion, as most truly pretentious creators do.
by OL
Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

I caved. I'd been looking for a good deal for an XL, but missed out on a 169.99 sale for it at Best Buy a couple weeks back. So I saw it today at Target for the regular price, but with a 25 dollar giftcard with purchase. So I got the system, and used the giftcard toward Kid Icarus.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2rc9zfd.jpg
by OL
Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Xbox 3 & PS4 Talk

That's a GTA killer if I ever seen one. No offense Segata.
by MiTT3NZ
Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kavinsky next album "Outrun" (Praises Yu Suzuki/Games)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/83/Kavinksy_Outrun_Cover.jpg/618px-Kavinksy_Outrun_Cover.jpg

Here is a interview with Kavinsky, he's a popular French electro house artist. If anyone has seen the movie "Drive", then you've already heard his work. In this interview he's asked if his upcoming album "Outrun" is related to a racing game.

http://www.spin.com/articles/kavinsky-outrun-drive-skrillex-tattoo-interview

Is the title for Outrun a reference to the racecar video game?

Yes! It's a game I used to play a lot. It's from a very talented game creator, Yu Suzuki, who is the guy who also did Hang-On, Shenmue , so many. Each time he had a new concept or a new way to play — it was always a revolution for each game he did.

"ProtoVision" is the new single taken from Kavinsky's album "OutRun"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9Yk_B3cwY

Listen to more of his music below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_3Dpw-BRY&list=AL94UKMTqg-9Do4sG4cDYt-Wd7gNv95upQ
by Ziming
Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/uk-videogames/2011/dp/B008LTGEGQ/logo._V393697231_.jpg
Recently a lack of press and sales of games in the JRPG genre for anything not called Final Fantasy has left many feeling like the genre has gone away or is lacking what it used to have. An RPG asks for more than most games do in wanting you to spend sometimes over a month playing one game. Is Ni No Kuni something that is worth spending that time away from other games?

In the game you play as Oliver a young boy who just like any kid lives a carefree life running around town with his friends in a perfect little American town. When his mother gets into an accident Oliver is left alone since his Dad didn’t care enough to stick around and the local authorities have no problem with an 8 year old living alone. Left with nothing but his life in ruins Mr Drippy a fairy with a welsh accent from a mysterious world appears telling Oliver he can bring his mother back by becoming a wizard. So the journey begins as you jump into a gateway to a brand new world.

http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/ps3/ni_no_kuni/screens/ni_no_kuni_56.jpg
The women don't even wear proper bikini's so fuck this game

As mentioned above the story is quite simple. Oliver must learn to become a wizard so he can bring his mother back. Sadly that’s the problem with the story and it lacks being an engaging epic story like many other RPG’s and doesn’t actually feel epic at all. You‘re told to go meet someone so that they can teach you some magic and after jumping over some obstacles to meet them they teach you a trick or two and give you the name of the next place or person you must go and see. The only time the story seems interesting is when we see the bad guys themselves rather than random enemies and dungeon bosses. It would have been nice to see more of them as they seem to only appear once every 5 hours and only feature heavily in the last few hours.

The main characters don’t do much to aid the story and are really rather boring. A few of them make good first impressions but soon fall back into just standing next to Oliver in cut scenes and pointing out the obvious. Conversations drag on for about 20 dialog boxes which consist of nothing more than maybe someone in town knows where we can find a key. When Mr Drippy first appears he oozes personality and charm but after 2 hours he becomes nothing more than a nodding head and being the third person to mention that maybe we should go to the next town. It may have helped a little if Oliver himself was a bit brighter but his role is to be confused by everything even when the player figured it out half an hour ago.

http://www.dpadmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Ni-No-Kuni-01.jpg
I thought drug trafficking was a strange side quest at first but it works

The worst people in the game are the NPC’s in town who need your help which makes up the side quests in the game. You will get the regular people who need you to go and find a hammer for them that they dropped in a cave or to deliver a letter but some are broken hearted. This is when a piece of their heart such as courage or ambition has been taken away and they walk around like mindless zombies. You need to go around town and find someone who has enough to spare so that you can share with the person who needs it. After doing this 50 times it gets pretty boring to listen to a guy who doesn’t have the ambition to tie his shoelaces anymore. I found myself skipping the dialog and waiting for the red highlighted word so I knew what I had to get.

Take away the NPC’s and you have a beautiful world. There where times when I would stop and think that in the distance was just a Studio Ghibi style drawing only to find I could go there. There’re 6 towns in the game which are all beautiful in their own right but it would have been nice to see more bright and colourful locations as after the halfway point of the game everywhere is very dark and drab.

http://8bitfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/AttackPanel.jpg
Any game where you can name a creature Matt Damon is good with me

In this beautiful world are a kind of Pokemon animal which are called familiars which you capture and use in battle. Every member of your squad can equip 3 each to make a tag team system of 12 playable characters. Since you only control one character or familiar at a time you have to trust the AI with some instructions on what you want them to do. It’s pretty much impossible to get them to do exactly what you want leaving you a lot of the time as the only one with MP and not getting killed. A menu option like FFXII where you could give strict instructions outside of battle would have been much better and saved a lot of sighing and eye rolling. Outside of the battles the game lets you know when you’re ready for the next boss battle by enemies running away from you in the field. This takes away some tension that other JRPG’s have when you don’t if you have what it take to beat the boss, leading up to the boss you will walk through the dungeon like you own the place with enemies running at the first sight of you. The boss fights themselves feel a little silly as you control a small animal that would struggle to reach your knee with an even smaller sword as it fights a giant lava monster ten stories high that’s just climbed out of a volcano.

The music is something that is undoubtedly epic. Having surround sound makes it even more amazing as you walk over the bright green hills you feel like you have an orchestra in the room with you. One problem with the music is when it plays over some of the characters with masks making it sound like Bane if he had walked around with a violin player at all times.

I wouldn’t say Ni No Kuni is the thing to ‘save’ the JRPG genre as it falls short by quite a bit. It’s not a bad game but if someone was to ask for suggestions on games I would place it quite low on my list of suggestions even if it does offer 50+ hours of gameplay.
by Riku Rose
Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

Having a fantastic few days off with the SNES emulator on the Gamecube. Played Goof Troop, Pinocchio, Street Fighter, Secrets of Mana, Lord of The Rings, Chuck Rock, Prince of Persia, Aladdin (Mega Drive one is better though) Lion King, Wheel of Fortune, Jeapordy. Any other games like Goof Troop though, because me and my friend like the single room top down format.
by Peter
Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My copy of Gun Hazard just came in the mail yesterday. Nice bit of work here. I think the cartridge itself is completely new (it's a darker-color plastic than regular SNES carts). And it plays perfectly. Felt amazing playing that Cybernator style of gameplay on an SNES pad again.
Gonna have a great time playing through this sometime soon.

http://oi49.tinypic.com/2qdbu3r.jpg
by OL
Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Genesis had a more animated look and Aladdin used a sword for attacks. SNES he was more PoP and as a weapon used apples or jumped on them.
by Bluecast
Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is It Just Me Or Is It Dead Here Now?

This is the slowest its felt in a long time.
by Who Really Cares?
Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

alpha footage of the upcoming shadowrun returns
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MiMjQwd2VE[/youtube]
by south carmain
Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PoliceNauts for Sega Saturn - English Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BevWB86UAkg
Policenauts is without a doubt one of the greatest cinematic adventure games ever released. Despite being such a timeless title with a huge following, Konami's multi-console release never ventured out of Japan. The final port of Policenauts, the more complete Sega Saturn version, is finally being fan translated.

Policenauts? You're not alone in wondering what this elusive title might be. In 1994 Hideo Kojima wrote and directed an adventure game featuring a hard science fiction storyline for Konami, which was initially released for the PC-9821 computer platform in 1994. The game focuses around our protagonist, Jonathan Ingram, a detective who travels to the stars into Earth's space colony in an attempt investigate the mysterious circumstances surrounding his ex-wife's murder and her new husband's disappearance.

The arrival of this Sega Saturn translation, however, is not the first time Policenauts has been made accessible to English speaking audiences. Game hackers successfully converted all of the in-game dialogue in the PlayStation 1 port to English, releasing their work on Hideo Kojima's 46th birthday. While this feat may have been unofficial, Konami supposedly worked on an official English translation of the Sega Saturn version many years ago, only to scrap development following various complications.

So why exactly should you care about this fan translation patch - especially when there is already a PlayStation 1 version available? The Sega Saturn port of Policenauts features several additional scenes, a slightly modified story and light gun support - effectively making the Sega Saturn edition of the game the definitive one.

The patch to convert the Sega Saturn port's in-game dialogue to English is still in development, however, the team behind this release recently demonstrated their work at the Spanish retro gaming convention, RetroMadrid.
- Source.

Not sure if this has been discussed already but I know it would interest a couple of you.
by Bambi
Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: DuckTales is back - Wooooo!

The most interesting thing about this to me is that, along with the Dungeons & Dragons arcade games, it seems like Capcom is becoming much more willing to re-release/revisit old licensed classics.
It's just a blind bit of hope, but I'm suddenly hankering for a re-release of the old Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and Punisher beat-em-ups. Feels like a slightly more reasonable hope to have now.
by OL
Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just beat Front Mission: Gun Hazard last night.
Considering that it was once a game I thought I would never get to finish (before I discovered repro carts), it was a damn good feeling to actually get through it. It's much longer than I thought it would be, too; granted, much of my time was spent leveling up, but it's still a much more expansive story than you'd normally ever get with a side-scrolling run-n-gun.
Of course, that also means that you'd better be really fond of run-n-gun gameplay, because there's not a whole lot of variation here. Sure, you can customize your Wanzer in plenty of different ways (mostly with different weapons), but launching missiles honestly isn't much different from firing a vulcan cannon. So there's a lot of repetition.
But I'm always fine with that, as long as it's fun.
I think the only thing I really didn't like much about the game was the sort of "randomly-spawning" enemies that litter each stage. Sure, they provide a simple, accessible means for leveling up; a bar at the top of the screen basically shows how many more enemies will keep coming in, which means you can sort of section-out which areas will be good for leveling up. But they also detract from the atmosphere a bit. They almost come off like the constant stream of enemies that pop up in old games like Last Battle; they make it feel a little hollow. Eventually you figure out that if you find the right place in a level, you can easily aim in a certain direction and just pick the enemies off as they continue to show up.
Easy XP.
I would have much preferred if each stage simply had a set number of enemies stationed in specific spots around the level, as with most games. Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken (which shares the same basic gameplay) was like that, and had a much more effective atmosphere because of it, despite being an overall smaller production.
Still, most of the bosses are really fun to fight, and some of the levels provide a great surprise or two. One early level has you exiting your Wanzer to explore a peaceful little town... until rebel guerrillas launch nerve gas on the place, and you have to dash back to your Wanzer for protection. Even though the gameplay itself is relatively limited, the situations you find yourself in are occasionally really fun and interesting, which more than makes up for it.
by OL
Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dear SEGA...

who the fuck wants a sequel to blue stinger?
by south carmain
Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

After watching nothing but shit, I finally put on Terminator 2.

Aaahh...much better.
by Kenny
Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that made you melancholic today

So with that said, let the woe begin! I'll start us off: I find the fact that :( is not the correct input for :sad: on this forum, to be distressing. Also, the squirrel in the other thread :(

I waited so damned long for someone else to mention that...

EDIT: On topic. The fact that I live in Scotland and even I'm starting to be annoyed with the constant shit and cold weather here for the past few weeks. Seriously, it's nearly April, and I wish it would warm a bit. Not even proper warm, just anything above 3 centigrade. Though I guess the whole country is in that boat to some extent.
by St. Elmo's Fire
Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Found my self in a Matrix mood the past week so Ive re watched them and the Animatrix.

Matrix 9/10
Reloaded 8/10 [Zion stuff goes on too long and slows the film down]
Revolutions 6/10 [Needed more Matrix, Neo and the final battle could have been much better]
by Who Really Cares?
Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Nah, Peter's not crazy. While he may not have went about it in his usual manner, he put it out there without any filtering which I can respect. Ryudo, you do try to paint a lovely picture which is a way to mentally cope with your past wrong doings. I will say that you've stabilize to some degree and we can all appreciate that, though it doesn't change anything.

For the record, painting the picture of stepping down is just wrong and you know it. Let's be honest about what happened here. You de-modded yourself before I could see the tirade and hit the button. This was done to imitate some form of choice, but there actually was none. You didn't step down, you were demoted and rightfully so. You'll never have the option to return as staff, ever.

As for trying too hard to gain respect, it's not something that Peter is making up. I've heard it from upwards of ten or so members. You've done this since your tirade to come off as a changed person, such as flaunting donations, "good" choices, etc. I hope you have changed, but for yourself and nobody else.

Some of your posts are border line de-railing, substantially written or not. Various members (mainly thread authors) have soft-reported your posts to me, though honestly I hadn't the chance to go through them all until now. You post in just about every topic for the sake of posting, even with little to nothing to add to the central conversation. That's not said to demerit your legitimate postings, as there are many of them. Do take notice of this though, quality > quantity. It was in the TOS after all.

Lastly, your actions were putrid and you hurt us as a community. That wasn't a fun time and I'm still wondering why I was put through the unnecessary stresses of it all. You were let back on a single strike rule (something no other admin or moderation team would have let happen), so that is on us. It was your passion for the website as a whole that allowed this along with your seemingly legitimate sorrow coupled with the willingness to change. Looking at it from your perspective, there isn't much more you can do and I wouldn't want you to beat yourself up over it.

What Peter is trying to get across is that you constantly bring up the past and paint it in a very different way. You own up to what you want to, sugar coating the rest. Nobody wants you to bring it up in a negative light to constantly beat yourself up over it either. Instead, I think the community as a whole and especially the staff want to see some genuine acceptance towards your previous actions, with the ability to look one hundred percent forward without referencing to or manipulating the past in any way. In fact, that was part of the deal in letting you back on the single strike rule that you currently abide by.

Try to see it as so. He doesn't hate your soul, he simply wants what is fair to be fair. If you are able to bend the rules, why shouldn't other members? Keep this in mind, it's not for the sake of our ourselves but your own willingness to move on.
by Yama
Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

This place is boring now plain and simple. It's not hard to notice people not posting as much as they used to. I still pop on a lot but just don't see the point in posting nowadays. Every topic get's filled with stupid GIFs or youtube videos and no discussion is actually had. As for the gaming forums unless you like Ys you are pretty much looked down on and I know many people avoid it because of that as well as the constant whining about how the games industry is shit. I've spoken to people who post here about games like Halo who refuse to do it on the boards as they will simply get their thread ruined or people interrogating them.

I'm in the same boat as Pete and I'll believe there is a change when I see it. Ryudo apologizes every 6 months and says his changed only for him to carry on doing the same shit. The only thing his done different recently is mention that his changed every 10 posts. When he claimed that TEEPO always apologized and ended up doing what he normally does I almost went back and posted all the topics where Ryudo apologized for his behavior over the years. I almost found about 10 of the bloody things. Saying sorry and posting a Lion King video is all well and good but people don't give a fuck about that and would actually prefer a change in your tone and attitude.

I've always been wait and see on when you've claimed to have 'changed' only for you to do the same shit. Just realize you don't have to post in every thread and give your opinion on the same topic for the 20th time just because the last time you did it was in the same topic 2 pages back or if you have no opinion post a GIF. It get's depressing coming onto this place and seeing 10 topics saying you was the last person to post in them all even when it's for topics I can tell you don't care for.

Everyone remembers when Ryudo got demodded and this place had plenty of people coming back. Every time I logged on there would be tons of posts all from different people. That's what this place could be like.
by Riku Rose
Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What Once Was

This is a piece of the blog I just posted on my site. Feel free to share your thoughts on anything over 5 year ago, game, music, art, movies, shows, etc. Actually I'm getting ideas just typing this. LOL. I've been watching "Happy Console Gamer" alot on Youtube and he really gets me fired up. I really would like to add some episodes like his to my youtube show, but I'm so tired and lazy lately and just never make any more episodes. Probably going to cancel it soon.

It's hard to believe that I grew up with the same Pokemon that tiny kids are addicted to today. That fact alone is pretty precious and amazing. Gamecube came out shortly before I graduated as well as Xbox and we got to enjoy what was a very fresh age of new gen games and concepts. I will say that the Xbox 360 did a good job in it's life of extending some nuances of that great gaming era into the last few recent years. One amazing thought that I realize is the there was no Myspace, Youtube, Facebook, or any social networking at all when I was in school. That is amazing! It prevades every crevice of life now. Just try to imagine turning on your computer right now and not having those. In fact, we didn't even surf the web nearly as much back then, due to the fact that it wasn't the lounge it is today.

One of my favorite web bloggers did a video where he mentioned that back when we used to collect GamePro and the other elite magazines, there was no Google where you could search everything about the game up. You relied on the mags to get sneak footage of upcoming game. I can remember that so well. I really miss when we would get together over a strategy guide of say, Super Metroid, and decipher how to tackle the game. Or when we were in deep discussion over being stuck in Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and for weeks we would battle with that and actually take breaks to go outside. That life has virtually no meaning now and I miss it. I must say that I appreciate the innovations that have brought such classics to things as simple as your phone or tablet. That is cool. But I would pay anything, to go back in time to the late 90's when Dreamcast was in bloom and SNES, PS1, Saturn, Genesis, etc were all at the height of their powers. There just isn't any time quite like it.
by Jokatech19
Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Don't blame you. Too expensive and doesn't even taste good. I hate this whole culture of "going for a pint". I can't actually remember the last time I drank alcohol..
by Crimson Ryan
Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixyBoXt81U[/youtube]
by Thief
Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

God, just such a badass theme. Faust certainly isn't my favorite GG character, but his theme is easily among the catchiest and most fun to listen to.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwbcv_9bIQ[/youtube]
by OL
Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNKENd-Sz60[/youtube]
by KiBa
Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated October 31)

Still sick when I recorded narration (so the delivery is a little off), but it turned out okay.
Dedicated to my dog Brak. I miss that little snapperhead.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f046xe-RneM[/youtube]
by OL
Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otY4bLTJL9k[/youtube]
Favorite
by Cave Johnson
Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is another of my all-time favorites:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBRniPTOT-8[/youtube]
by Nankeiro
Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ImageImageImage

"Buy two, get one free" sale at Target, so I figured I may as well indulge a little bit. Been looking forward to all three.
by OL
Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your most overlooked system or game

Phantom Crash for the Xbox. This was a really strange game to be honest. I never quite knew exactly what I was supposed to be doing in this game to advance, well I knew I had to smash up other robots, and I guess that was enough. I actually liked the bizarre style of the game, with it's talking animal computer chips and crazy characters, and it's obtuse nature only intrigued me further. The main bulk of the gameplay was centred around customising your mech out in an insane amount of ways, until it's an ultimate weapon of destruction, and then enter arena fights with other supped up mechs. I remember really enjoying the arena fights, they were fast paced and frantic. Mechs could often jump super high, turn invisible, or fire all kinds of missiles depending how they were customised. And all the while this carnage is taking place you get snipits of convo from the various kinds of animal AI chips each mech has on board.

So yeah, strange game, but it was really enjoyable, and if your partial to a bit of mech action I would recommend this without reservation.

I only discovered quite recently that this game did actually get a sequel. Though it's not surprising I never heard of it, as it came out years later, on the PS2, and under a completely different title. It even had a different publisher, so there was really no way of knowing the two were connected. It's a shame, as I wuold have loved to have tried it out. Has anyone here played it? I'd be interested to know what it was like.
by mue 26
Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wild 9.

Not the best game of all time, but it was good. From the company famous for MDK and Earthworm Jim, Shiny Entertainment. It has the best character designs i've ever seen but it came out in 1998, which is probably the worst time to release a non-flagship title. So naturally, it got buried.
by Kenny
Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Terranigma. Fantastic game, but was never released in NA.
by TwiceFriedRice
Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another game that I never hear anybody ever talk about is Ring of Red on the PS2. I'm actually currently playing this and it reminds me a bit of Front Mission, for obvious reasons. The difference here is that there is an actual real time/action side to the combat. It was the first game that Yukio Futatsugi worked on after the Panzer Dragoon series (he's the creator of that series) and it's such a change of pace, like he couldn't have a made a more different game. It takes place in alternate timeline where Japan is divided into two regions, North and South, with civil war erupting alongside the Second World War. It's very different from most Strategy games that I have played. Again, another game that nobody cares about.

I third Ring Of Red, it's a really interesting game and very under appreciated. I'm proud to say I was one of the probably only 3 people in UK to buy this on the day it came out :lol: . Hilariously enough, the last time I remember hearing this game get mentioned, was when the incredible(ly hilarious) rapper lil B was showing off his retro game collection on Youtube :lol:. He also had Shenmue, but I get the feeling he just raided out some old game shop that was probably shutting down, and has never played any of those games :lol:

Another game I'd like to mention is Ronin Blade (known as Soul of the Samurai in the US). I actually was only reminded of this game when OL posted about it a while back, it's an almost completely forgotten Konami gem. In truth there's not an awful lot I can remember about the game. I remember it being challenging and almost like a Samurai Resident Evil, kind of like Onimusha's forbearer in a way. However, despite my overall lack of memory, some small details of this game really stick in my mind and harks me back to my childhood when I played it, more so than a lot of games, for some reason. This one get's me feeling very nostalgic.

Another game worth mentioning could be Otogi. I absolutely adored it when it originally came out. A very, very atmospheric game. Though I think most people here have probably heard a couple of us mention the game a few times. I never gave much time to it's sequel, unfortunately, and I'm not sure way. It's shame really as I'd quite like to play it now, but don't know if I can be bothered to go through the hastle of buying an old Xbox just for it (digital re-release please, From!)
by mue 26
Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, Otogi's still a favorite. Oddly enough, I was just thinking about it today. I really ought to play through them both again sometime soon.

On the subject of Xbox games, Breakdown was always a neat little gem in my eyes. Still one of the best implementations I've seen of a hand-to-hand fighting system in a first-person game. Not an easy idea to pull off, I'd imagine, but it worked really well here. The shooting was a little half-hearted, but no matter. The rest of the game felt great to me.
Always loved the story and stylishness of it too. Excellent plot twist about halfway through. Just a really cool game that never got a whole lot of attention.
Got it waaaay back around the time it first came out, and I must have gone through it three or four times over the years. That's another one I'm thinking I might want to play again soon.
by OL
Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PS Henry, we have incredibly similar taste.

I was thinking the exact same thing after seeing him mention Deception (a series I'm really interested in eventually playing, and have been for a while) and Ring of Red both in the same post. :D

It's kind of funny thinking about it now, how two series that I would have mentioned in a topic like this only a few short years ago, suddenly have their own dedicated cult fanbases now: Shin Megami Tensei and Ys.
I've only been an SMT fan since playing Digital Devil Saga (about 8 years now), but it remained pretty much ignored until the very end of the PS2's life cycle. And I've been an Ys fan since playing the Master System version back around '93, but it stayed amazingly obscure until only a couple years ago.
Their fanbases have shot up surprisingly quick in a short amount of time, so I guess I can't really call them "overlooked" anymore.
by OL
Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A lot of news worthy posts have been slipped under the rug due to poor categorizing and being lost in cluttered threads. We're doing away with this idea and moving on to a more active nature that allows users to participate easily.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO CREATE NEW THREADS
by Yama
Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So i bought my first Gamecube

Henry Spencer wrote: ^Long time no see!

Still about mate. Just a bit less internet time. Found this thing called a door and outside is... outside.
by LawXiu
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

By the next week, i'll have final drafts for two more of my scripts. Not only that but I have two friends who are working on two scripts of their own that are simply AMAZING. I'm trying to see if I can get one of them under my production company's name.

After that, It's getting another draft of Project Exodus done. Then after that, we're going public. With all this body of work, I can't imagine not getting a gig SOMEWHERE at least. But the goal is still to make a theatrical debut with "The Assignment", and based on what I was told...that one is pretty much ready to go. But I still think it can be better.
by Kenny
Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Japanese Sega Saturn reccomendations

X-Men Vs Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter
Street Fighter Zero 3
Pocket Fighter
Dungeons and Dragons
Final Fight Revenge
Crows
Dragon Ball Z Shinbutoden
Dragon Ball Z Legends
Policenauts
Variable Fighter Geo
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Rockman X4
Rockman 8
Fire Prowrestling 6
Sonic Wings
Gundam Blue Destiny
Sakura Taisen
Sakura Taisen 2
by RyoHazuki84
Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

I picked up my first game for my 3DS today

I've actually never played a Fire Emblem game but I figured this was a good time to start. Plus I needed something to keep me busy on my new system while I wait for Animal Crossing :)
by Thief
Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic