Search found 221 matches

Return

Re: The reunion topic.

Hey Shenmue fans,
I used to be active long, long ago, in earlier incarnations of the dojo (up until 2003, I believe).

Way too much time has passed, obviously, though I did manage to recognize a few usernames in this thread, off the top of my head:
Miles Prower; Yama; Damulder; Santino; Iwao Hazuki (the original? I believe he was one of the mods…shit I think I was a mod for a bit as well; didn’t they rotate for a while?)

Users I’d like to see come back, to further enhance the time capsule effect:
Kenshiro; John Petrucci; LanDC; Japanfan; Shenmue 2 (I think that was his name; some crazy-ass Chinese user who had a pic of the Chinese president as his avatar).

Anyway…who cares… the only thing that matters right now: Shenmue 3, mofos!!!! :D

Hey! I remember you!
by ShenmueWeb
Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The reunion topic.

Hey Shenmue fans,
I used to be active long, long ago, in earlier incarnations of the dojo (up until 2003, I believe).

Way too much time has passed, obviously, though I did manage to recognize a few usernames in this thread, off the top of my head:
Miles Prower; Yama; Damulder; Santino; Iwao Hazuki (the original? I believe he was one of the mods…shit I think I was a mod for a bit as well; didn’t they rotate for a while?)

Users I’d like to see come back, to further enhance the time capsule effect:
Kenshiro; John Petrucci; LanDC; Japanfan; Shenmue 2 (I think that was his name; some crazy-ass Chinese user who had a pic of the Chinese president as his avatar).

Anyway…who cares… the only thing that matters right now: Shenmue 3, mofos!!!! :D
Welcome home.
by Yama
Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Response from Joel "The Red Shirt Guy" Tess & Awesome Ja

I questioned specifically on whether having both Japanese and English VOs would be detrimental to the budget towards other game elements, such as sacrifice of NPCs and extended dialogues or refinement of certain game mechanics. That's why I personally prefer Shenmue 3 to have only Japanese VO, as Masaya Matsukaze is already attached to the project, but I understand my view is on the minority side.[/color]

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm not even sure you're in the minority to be honest.
I get the impression that a lot of American shenmue fans dig Corey Marshall for the nostalgia factor (their initial experience, etc.), but the buck stops there.

A lot (most?) of us outside of the US/Canada would welcome JPN vocals arms opened.

Yeah, alot of europeans will prefer japanese voices since they got used to them in the european version of Shenmue II, me included. The japanese VO was superior IMO. Even though the english dub is nostalgic, the acting is terrible to be honest and I was very happy when I saw that Masaya is returning as Ryo.
by Gen
Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 KS Prediction (computed) 10/07/15

Most gaming related kickstarted projects gain big in the last 48 hours, so as we say in Germany - "the opera is not over before the fat woman has sung". You might be surprised how many people pledge "last minute" in such projects. I think something around 6 million is realistic - and that would already make it the worlds must funded video game project ever. Period. And after that? Maybe paypal backing options? I'd be surprised if they would not offer any way at all to continue the love and funding...
by Master Kyodai
Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's your platform of choice?

PS4. I don't own one but I'll buy one for this.

You hear me Sony? Throw more money at shenmue and I'll buy more games! Honest!
by jakester
Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How likely is Shenmue HD?

Extremely likely. It would be foolish from a business standpoint for Sega to ignore Shenmue anymore after the Kickstarters success. I'd like to think that it's been greenlit, even before the statement regarding the apology for ignoring their fans. So with that in mind, I can see Shenmue remasters coming in 2016.

Then again, this is Sega we are talking about...
by Peter
Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't know if it's likely or not, but I think it's crucial to the success of Shenmue3 and the rest of the series in the long run. I know that Suzuki said people could enjoy S3 without having played 1 and 2, but come on. What else was he supposed to say? Let's get real, if we want new fans to enjoy 3, we need 1 and 2 on the same console as well.
by Three Blades
Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cedric bomb updates ???

-LelouchV1 ‏@LelouchV1 19m19 minutes ago
@CedricBiscay drop the bomb now. 3 days left. We need 2 days for gaming media to cover it. Last day for everyone to back the KS. Lets do dis

- Cedric Biscay ‏@CedricBiscay 4m4 minutes ago
@LelouchV1 the Japanese team is working on it

Hopefully incoming and has great impact.
by manuel tripero
Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kobe wrote: Shenmue HD is not coming ever and I could easily bet Bill Gates salary on it.

Shit, how much did you lose on the announcement of Shenmue 3?
by James Brown
Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dreamcast with VGA cable, no sound!

Sorted it. Just needed a double ended 3.5mm jack to go from the splitter to the TV.

Now let's go and find some sailors.
by Ryno4
Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Esmeralda Escudero ‏@AlexiaHewson 6h6 hours ago
@CedricBiscay With all due respect Cedric, the last rewards are useless. We need rewards that are less than 500$ that people can afford :S
1 retweet 1 favorite
Reply Retweet1 Favorited1
More
Cedric Biscay ‏@CedricBiscay 9m9 minutes ago
@AlexiaHewson I know and I am doing my best in order to reach your expectations.
by mjq jazz bar
Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Guys, don't you think the "bomb" could be a special edition of the Lan Di statue by First4Figures? ^^

PS: glad to be back.
by Tsubasa
Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd be interested to see the country stats if they have them. I'd be interested to see how many people from Japan pledged considering there was like 40k viewers in that Japanese stream the other day, yet for some reason I don't feel like they've done much?

Yeah, didn't the original games sell poorly in Japan?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/01/19/shenmue-number-1-in-japan

It ended up selling almost half a million, I believe.
by Supa
Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd be interested to see the country stats if they have them. I'd be interested to see how many people from Japan pledged considering there was like 40k viewers in that Japanese stream the other day, yet for some reason I don't feel like they've done much?

Yeah, didn't the original games sell poorly in Japan?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/01/19/shenmue-number-1-in-japan
by Yokosuka
Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

I'm sorry but this looks very, very bad. It's not just the aesthetics that look bad or the animation or Ryo's weird face or anything that could be refined later, it's just plain cheesy. The firefly scene wasn't anything like that in Shenmue II.

I feel kinda sick.

Like, maybe I don't want my name to appear in this game.
well this is basically something they made for the KS, the game isn't really in development at all. at least I hope they do'nt keep that style, texture work etc

Good textures would go a long way
by Ryo Fhan
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

I'm sorry but this looks very, very bad. It's not just the aesthetics that look bad or the animation or Ryo's weird face or anything that could be refined later, it's just plain cheesy. The firefly scene wasn't anything like that in Shenmue II.

I feel kinda sick.

Like, maybe I don't want my name to appear in this game.
by Phong
Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So is the new scene (or the new NPC reward) this 'bomb'? Got to assume so at this late stage right...

Well, it's better than the fishing rod, that's for sure ;)
...but I'm still hoping they've got one more card in their deck!
Well yes- on a scale of '1 - bomb' this ranks alot higher than the fishing rod :D
by joka
Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've got the flu, so I will complain.
by shredingskin
Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $5,000,000 REACHED!

I'd love it if they charged you when you pledge to higher tiers. There's no mistakes when you decide to play with that kind of money. If you can't lose it, don't fuck with the higher tiers.
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

A french homeless asking for money for Shenmue 3

Hello ! I was in Paris when i found a homeless guy who asked for money about the kickstarter of Shenmue 3. I filmed that because i found him amazing ! And i also give him 10€ lol :D !

phpBB [video]
by Cetaam1
Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's new clothes

Hmmmm, I know it makes sense to change clothes but I'd feel a sense of disconnection if he wasn't wearing his default gear.
by FRASIER v3
Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 physical release “unconfirmed”

I don't put much stock in these proclamations. People were insisting there'd be no PS4 physical because Awesome Japan messaged them telling them that. Yeah, they're not going to break news before it's meant to be broken.
by mjq jazz bar
Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Be my +1 for the Monaco dinner!

I love how your title is "Asia Travel Representative" and you're planning to set up some traveling plans. Remember what happened to Ryo?
(Only joking of course :) )
by Jibby
Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #39 - Cedric Biscay - Shenmue, through and thr

Havel wrote: I'd rather hear Yu's thoughts but okay Cedric.

Cedric is great and deserves the spotlight for all the things he's done for this campaign.
by Himuro
Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Free Battles? Against whom?

johnvivant wrote:but there are probably normal bullies and thugs from the villages that will need to be 'corrected'.

Goro in a straw hat?

...Just strollin' n patrollin' 8)
by Sonoshee
Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will you experience Shenmue 3 with another person?

The whole point of the game imo is to immerse yourself into the world of Ryo Hazuki, become Ryo Hazuki , this can only truly be done when playing alone not with someone watching over your shoulder or 'commenting' on certain scenes etc
by ShenmueAddict
Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keep this in mind when watching the Kickstarter finish!

I'd love Shenmue III to beat Bloodstained but whatever happens (trolls etc), we've got sufficient collateral now to be safely over $5M. Anything else is a bonus.
by Mystere
Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Did Bloodstained get investors?

Yes. 90% of the development costs were footed by investors.

The Kickstarter page for Bloodstained says that you’ve already managed to procure partial funding for the game, and that Kickstarter funds will be used to elevate the game’s budget and manufacture backer rewards. Where did the initial funding come from?

After over a year of talking with just about every publisher and having them pass, we finally secured investment to cover 90% of the game, but it was conditional: We had to prove there was a market for another game like this. Now that we’ve cleared so many stretch goals we’ll be able to make a game with much more content than the one I’d hoped to make.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/10/koji-igarashi-tells-us-all-about-bloodstaineds-leading-lady-miriam/

Since it was conditional, if Shenmue 3 breaks the world record and surpasses Bloodstained, perhaps we'll see more investors willing to put money into S3.
by Sonoshee
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peter wrote:Pledges made within 24 hours of the deadline cannot be cancelled, and contact has to be made with the developer to do so.

I'm sure AJ will respond very quickly to cancel troll pledges. Very confident.

by Ziming
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Joel Tess looks like he's ready to knock some trolls out!
by DOS
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $315,407...

Over 59,000 backers! It's steadily increasing all the time...

I smell blood... stained ;)
by joka
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

QUICK TIME EVENT! Dojo Twitch Stream (almost) 24 hour specia

WE ARE STREAMING NOW!!!!

We will be streaming from now until late night and ALL of tomorrow until the Twitch stream.

We will be playing Shenmue 1 AND 2!

SPREAD THE WORD!

http://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo
by Himuro
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $315,407...

Damn, this really IS fucking epic!!!!!
by Three Blades
Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tomorrow Shenmue haters around the globe will eat crow

The next 24 hours is a fuck you to all Shenmue haters everywhere.

Despite a half assed ks campaign handled by morons, being FAR less known in gaming, HUNDREDS of articles spreading misinformation on why you shouldn't support Shenmue III kickstarter, it will go on to become the highest backed game kickstarter of all time and set a new record despite people telling us for over a decade that no one wants nor cares about Shenmue. Far more well known and celebrated franchises and creators have been surpassed and after tomorrow no one will be able to deny Shenmue, its fans, or continue to treat it like a meme despite being the great game franchise of all time.

Eat it.
by Himuro
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

I've got a question about the history. I remember years ago, there was a split or something here and some members left to found the Hazuki Dojo or whatever it was called. How did that start and what actually happened? I wish there was a good history page about this site. I'm sure the history of this place is just as fascinating as the games themselves. From what I remember reading on the forums at the time, the name of the site was up for grabs because Andy either forgot or there was a glitch in his bank account or something. In any case, the name was for sale and Hellraiser bought it and wouldn't give it back. Thus started the revolt and then the great exodus. Or at least that's how I remember it.

Let's go a little further back though, to the forumplanet days when I first joined. At the time I joined, there was some drama going on with a member name Dakki. Apparently she had two accounts on the board, and the second account was that of a male. Supposedly the ruse had gone on for some time. Eventually everyone found out and the jokes started flying that Dakki was a transexual. The board went really hard on her. I was just starting out there when that went down, and I talked to her once or twice over ICQ. She didn't seem so bad. I don't think she deserved the hate she recieved then.

A couple other things: A user called ShenmueII. Everyone hated that turd. He was a total ass to everyone. No exceptions. And lastly, whatever happened to comrades? That guy was awesome. If I remember right he was the first person to welcome me here.

In the new forums after forumplanet there's the time that I believe, Louis, nuked half the forums. I and Juanfran were about the only people logged into the site for awhile, while it was getting wrecked to shit. We just kind of watched it all burn to the ground around us. The junk forum was completely gone, the "what song are you listening to?" thread was gone. Which was a carryover from forumplanet and was absolutely massive at the time of it's deletion. Fucking shame that one. A lot of history there. He also turned on the word filter where "I" and a few other very common words was changed to something offensive, so everyone that still had access to the site, which wasn't a lot since he also banned a lot of people, had to improvise.Here's an example:
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=294128#p294128

So if you ever wondered, that's why.

Goddamn. That was a nice trip down memory lane. :lurk:
by silent killer
Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

Forum Planet. Good times.
by TwiceFriedRice
Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter sets new record - LIVE REACTION

Lmfao I'm just messing when I say sony will donate $40M but I do think they'll contribute a hefty chunk privately. Imagine the meltdown this site would have if they did go public and dropped 5/6 mil on the project in the final few minutes, though. That would be the icing on the cake.

I seriously did have a dream about Sony donating $40M though, so who knows? Maybe I'm a prophet.
by Chaikilla
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If Sony do decide to put anything towards development costs it won't be through the Kickstarter.

But, we've been given our answer regarding this already. Maybe they'll be nice though and throw some extra funding in some point down the line.
by Sonoshee
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #41 - Digital Upgrade & Character Bust

Who is in charge of pricing these reward tiers? Those busts should have been three times as much. There are people paying twice as much for a bag of knickknacks. The difference in that kind of money is somebody's salary on the development team.

It also caused a few backers to move away from the jacket and crystal memories reward. Such a dumb move! They should have given the name a vendor a big discount instead and moved the busts up to $4,500. ](*,)
by Dragon St.
Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why do people keep bringing up Sony giving money for development when we established a month ago they are NOT doing that?

Anyways, I expect independent investors to take notice and help us get to 11 million.

They showed from the beginning that their position was hesitating about the publishing, why not the development ?
by Yokosuka
Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What amount would you be really happy at?

If they open up the possibility for increasing pledges after the Kickstarter I I'll definitely upping my total amount. My ego wants me to be prominently featured in the game, unfortunately my bank balance won't allow it at the minute.
by Benwah
Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What amount would you be really happy at?

Obviously I would be happy if it 10 million. The reality is I'm glad its at what its at. I really just wanted it to beat bloodstained to atleast show how important it is to the fans. I think its going to be over 6 million. They've said they have outside funds from the kickstarter so I think we get the game that Yu Suzuki envisions.

Plus, I think the success of the kickstarter can open up the possibility of receiving additional funding and/or additional investors.
by Tomato Convenience Store
Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic