Good to see ya, Dorian. :)
by Thief
Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Final Fantasy

Dorian wrote:
St. Elmo's Fire wrote:Just wow.
Bluecast comes back calmer. You come back, turned up not just to 11, but way up to about 20. Christ almighty man, that's some deep seated resentment there by the looks of it...

:lol: Oh how I missed the gay Asian boy GIFs.
by ShOzO MiZuKi
Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metal Gear series

People thought MGS looked amazing visually then MGS2 was out of this world then MGS4 no way visuals can look like that. In 3-4 years it won't look so amazing to most. Some will complain like Elders Scrolls Oblivion looks too old. :P Truth be told I'm more impressed with Yakuza can pull off.
Nah, as graphics go, this stuff is incredible. Yakuza 5 looks fantastic, but little things like stiff clothing and obvious textures on the faces make it nowhere near this. I see none of those problems in this so far (from what little we've seen).
I agree people will eventually act like it's nothing special though. They always do that. It's ridiculous, but it always makes me think of Back to the Future 2, when Marty tries showing off his skillz on the arcade machine in the diner.
"You mean you have to use your hands? It's like a baby's toy!"
Most people will always have that ridiculous sense of "it's not good enough" when it comes to things they consider "old" or "outdated".

Anyway, I like that the majority of the trailer was just a big way of showing off how much more expansive the game will be than previous titles were. One single, continuous camera shot from the prison camp, to the helipad, up into the air, down to a cliffside, and back up onto solid ground. Granted, it was all in a cinematic, but the implication is still obvious: this game is going to be really damn big for an MGS game.
Only thing I don't like is how anachronistic the technology is. It's, what... late-70's? Early 80's? And Big Boss has got a holographic handheld map display?
That's just too much, considering that in the original Metal Gear games (taking place in the 90s), Snake was restricted to a simple radio and standard supplies. With a setting in the past, you'd think it would be more interesting to take advantage of technology that would have been viable around that time, like how MGS3 did it.
Regardless, like Henry said, it does feel slightly like how it did when I first saw trailers for MGS2. Shock and awe at the graphical tech, but also a huge desire to see more of the game itself.
Looking forward to it.
by OL
Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Thanks! Should of been left back in 1939 in that case..
by Crimson Ryan
Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

@Peter: Really? I thought ODST was the weakest, by a long shot. Halo 1 is still my favourite, I know there's only like two of us on here who are Halo fans, but I really like the art design and music of the series. And yeah, I enjoy the multiplayer...but it's a bit of a shame the single player has gone down in quality over time, so perhaps a new dev team (which was founded by former members of Bungie, btw) is the breath of life the series needed? Single player looks fun to me and I like the look of the new enemies.

@Dorian: Yeah, I'm getting sick of seeing articles popping up every day hyping Xbox 720/PS4...I'm not ready for it, nor is the PS3/360 finished yet, we're seeing some technically very impressive games, others that come to mind are David Cage's next game, The Last of Us and Hitman: Absolution.
by Henry Spencer
Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Odd I used to be on the other side of this debate. I am very happy with this gen esp in visuals. But the medium does need to progress.If a console stays too far behind PC's will take over. Tech needs to improve now whether or not consumers are ready when console makers are ready is another subject. I still just love the visuals on WonderBoy in Monster World. I still love Alex Kidd visuals on MS. I still love Shenmue visuals. No matter the era I'm still impressed. But tech can limit art design. I said this on my forum but feel Darksiders II was limited by the consoles of some of the design that could have been in a few areas esp the first. I love my 360 and still want a PS3. People last gen were more than happy with what PS2 can do and pointed out games like God Of War II,Resident Evil 4 & Chronicles of RIddick. Then new consoles come and people are ready all the sudden. Personally consoles should not end their cycle until there is no more to squeeze out like the rolled up toothpaste tube.

From a marketing standpoint, sure, it all makes sense. If they want to keep making money, they have to eventually have new hardware, obviously.
But purely in a technical capabilities capacity, I can't say I agree.
As consoles are now, there's almost nothing that can't be done through the use of smarter development techniques. The tech itself isn't limiting anyone on their art design right now. PS2 and before, I might agree to an extent, but when you have current games that look like Uncharted and FFXIII (and now looking at things like Ground Zeroes), it's clear that no one is limited by the tech; it's just a matter if using that tech in better and smarter ways, which most devs aren't doing.
You use Darksiders 2 as an example of being limited by the consoles it's on, but I don't think it's a very good example, considering the game isn't exactly the pinnacle of what's out there right now.
Darksiders 2 is limited by its budget, the capabilities of its programmers and designers, and its development schedule. Nothing else.
Given more time, a higher budget, and more inventive programmers, and the game could likely have accomplished everything you think it should have. It's not the fault of the hardware it's running on.
I agree that a console generation shouldn't move on until everything is squeezed out of it, but I don't think everything has been squeezed out of this one. There's still much, much more that can be done.
by OL
Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Glad to see you've returned Dorian.
by Bambi
Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^ Most awkward therapy session ever.
by Spokane
Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mue 26 wrote:Yeah, he comes across as a bit pretentious at times...

A bit is putting it far too nicely.
by OL
Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A sense of humbleness is always good. Makes me respect someone more when they create great things, yet refrain from boasting or playing themselves up.
Maybe one reason I tend to like several Japanese devs more than most western ones I ever see.
You watch an interview with a Japanese creator (of games or otherwise), and they don't typically talk your ear off about how artistic their work is, or spout things like "get ready to have your mind fucked by awesomeness!"
A lot of times they just say "we tried to do this" and "we tried to do that", and end it by saying "please enjoy our game. Thank you."
Maybe it's a silly reason to like or dislike certain things, but it tends to make me appreciate one product over another sometimes when I know its creators aren't obnoxious blowhards.

Cage's newer games might be good for all I know (like Kenny said, last one I played was Indigo Prophecy, and it was terrible). But I won't indulge them, because I already know that Cage is an obnoxious blowhard (to an absolute extreme), and I have no desire to support his work if he's like that.
by OL
Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I do, and will, hate. Hatred is just as important as love, in my opinion. As long as my hatred is rational, then I can use it to better my judgement. Just as someone might spend their whole life with someone they love, they also spend their whole life avoiding those that they hate.
by Thief
Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

don't be so opinionated and personal about others when they are doing nothing of the sort and just criticising videogames.

we all come from very different countries, families, cultures, social-economical backgrounds to be judgemental on someone's character only because we find his stance on some videogames too harsh, unfounded, boring or stupid.

life is not black and white nor are all souls whole.

but one thing is certain: born in cradles of gold or in cradles of filth, strong or weak willed, sucess ridden or human failures, we can all be honest and get along.

also Hate is very important.
without it we would all be blind, submissive slaves.
by ThyDarkAngel
Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Devil May Cry series

Yeah, the ideas actually are interesting, but I still take issue with them. I don't like that they're taking Devil May Cry and trying to use it for the sake of political commentary and satire. I hate that actually.
Do that in your own IP. Don't take an established franchise (no matter how much you may be altering and twisting it) that people are so fond of, and fuck with in such a way as to put across subjects as touchy as politics. It's an ugly thing to do, and will only serve to make the "DMC" name look even worse in some peoples' eyes.
DMC shouldn't be a platform for social controversy.
For a while there, I was starting to just accept that this game was coming out and that it's nothing to be bothered by.
But now I think I'm right back on the "fuck this game" bandwagon.
by OL
Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming Merchandise & Collections

I got this a while ago, the Yoshihisa Kishimoto Enter The Double Dragon Collector's Edition

http://i.imgur.com/iOxof.jpg
Biography Book and DVD/CD

3 more: http://i.imgur.com/6H4RT.jpg
Luxury Cover

http://i.imgur.com/oYzfS.jpg
The documentary DVD, and a CD with remixes from Double Dragon, DDII and Renegade

http://i.imgur.com/02LZV.jpg
The back of the DVD/CD case
http://i.imgur.com/DZXMx.jpg
Signed by Mr. Kishimoto, numbered copy.
by Vyse Hazuky
Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Final Fantasy

Yeah awesome picture but due to the very strict rules of the hosting company we would risk the site getting a boot to the head. Unfortunately, as its a really nice pic. =/
by Master Kyodai
Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

^ What's that?

I Walked With A Zombie... Great movie.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8PUsose3kE[/youtube]
by KiBa
Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Devil May Cry series

Gunna have to agree with Ryudo on this one. I never really got into the Devil May Cry series, but from what I've seen from the reboot, I don't really want to.

It looks very - dare I say it?! - lame.
by Thief
Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Ryudo was ban happy. :judge:
by Crimson Ryan
Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

Fucking christ, how much can two people go on and on about whether something looks prettier or not? I skipped the rest after the fifth post in a row.

Regardless, I'm kind of siding with Dorian on this; it isn't a huge improvement from a strictly visual standpoint, at least not in the battle gameplay shots. The shots from movie scenes look incredible though. The facial detail on certain characters is nuts.
Chances are that the change in graphics engine wasn't done just to make everything prettier though, but rather to allow more on-screen at once without slowdown, as well as being able to render larger cities in larger detail all at once. The technical stuff basically, rather than the aesthetic surface stuff.
by OL
Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kenny wrote: Its not cool to stereotype people like that

"All generalizations are false; including this one." - Mark Twain

:???:
by Thief
Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's mostly propaganda spread by news networks so the private insurance executives (and some doctors) can keep driving their Lamborghinis and live in their high class neighborhoods. It's all about money, really.

Well, we've got to be realistic, instead of comparing the size of our stethoscopes. Public medical funding is the same; it also drives up costs because the drug companies, supply companies, doctors, and insurance companies all charge more when they know the state promises to foot the bill, and then politicians never stand up to them, so they drive up taxes, and it just keeps going till the nation is bankrupt, or you have smart leaders who will be responsible with people's money. Every western health system works well at the moment. Just because the U.S. has no formal universal system doesn't mean that you can't get treatment. Realistically, by far most doctors want to help every patient, so they will always treat people for serious injuries in the emergency room whether they have money or not, and then they work it out later, like ordinary people. For tests and long-term conditions or diseases, there are hundreds of programs and charities that will pay for everything. Also, some states do have public healthcare, like Massachusetts, which has literally saved my life more than once. And most cities have free walk-in clinics and hospitals and med schools that will take everyone for free on certain days of the week. But the point is, you can't confuse a "system" for the real world. In the real world, people always help each other, ultimately, so I'd say that any industrialized nation complaining about healthcare is absolutely ridiculous. Every Western society, at least, has really good medical care for everyone, somehow. Complaining about having pretty good systems is kind of insulting to all the really poor people in totally undeveloped countries, or the masses of poor workers dependent on unkind dictatorships. Those are the places where better healthcare is needed most.
by KiBa
Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/yangtze-river-turns-red-turns-mystery-175232434--abc-news-topstories.html

Thats very strange. Wonder what caused it?

"These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will." Revelation 11:6
by Thief
Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RPG's( NOT Falcom,Square,Bethesda,Bioware)

My favorite parts of Lost Odyssey were the short stories/dreams that you could unlock, they were surprisingly good.

That and the map theme, of course.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=135Gltfkxeo[/youtube]
by Thief
Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pPfyYtiBc[/youtube]
by Crimson Ryan
Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ah, you know, I'd forgotten about the Snake Flower Triad thing. Been a while since I played either game, so yeah, I could just be remembering it wrong.
But I do still hold that the focus of Y3 compared to earlier games leans more toward Kazuma and the different aspects of his character, rather than the big, explosive events going on. I remember that feeling very clearly. The events are still there of course, but they aren't quite as much the focus as is Kazuma's reactions to everything, the way he handles his responsibilities, relationships, etc. The change in writer between Y2 and Y3 was a major contributor to that, of course.
That focus probably contributed a lot to whatever perception of "size" I had about the game.
by OL
Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really liked that feeling of Yakuza 3. More personal. In a way it was closer to what I felt when playing Shenmue. Not saying that it's the same but showing Kazuma interacting with the kids and so on felt a bit like how emotions and action are blended in Shenmue. A more thoughtful aspect combined with fighting.

I didn't know that there was a new writer but it could explain that slight change. Yakuza 4 also had a bit more of that than the first two I think.

I'm loving the shit out of Akiyama and Hana duet at Karaokekan. I'd buy their album. Seriously.
Haha yes. They're a great pair.
by ys
Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, a lot of people aren't so fond of the Okinawa parts of Y3 (and I don't necessarily blame them, since it doesn't exactly present the same tone that one usually goes into a Yakuza game for), but I absolutely loved them. One of the most distinguishing factors in Y3, in my eyes. There's fighting present, but that's not what I think of when I remember those parts. I think of casually strolling around town, stopping into a restaurant for lunch and a drink, checking out the details of the orphanage, helping the kids out with their various troubles, etc. It generally just feels much more homey and pleasant than the rest of the series, as you said, a bit like the original Shenmue.
It's kind of like how a lot of people didn't like the early parts in Kingdom Hearts 2, saying they were too slow and too mundane. But that was actually my favorite part in that game, specifically because it was slower and more laid-back. Same deal for Yakuza 3. It's a part of the game that you can just hang out in.
I love that.
by OL
Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It depends, I guess. Having played the first two when I played Y3, it was certainly a really cool dynamic to see Kazuma acting as a father figure to this motley little group of kids. It probably made me care more than I would have otherwise, if Y3 were my first game in the series or something.
Seeing him get some level of peace after the first two games (despite the punks you constantly have to beat up :P ) was different and interesting to me, and dealing with the kids never came off as a chore in my eyes.
I think it's one of those cases where you just have to approach it almost as a point-and-click adventure game in a way, not expecting explosive action, but rather character development and a more laid-back atmosphere.
It might just not be for some people, and that's perfectly understandable.
by OL
Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You guys are either retarded or former bully victims. Kids with gay parents = constant and easy target. Bullyin the likes of poor kids is situation specific, bullyin Muslims isn't likely to have as much effect due to the chances of there being much more than one at the school, kids with difficulties are usually in 'special' classes and generally don't interact with everyone else as they have different schedules.

Kids with gay parents though... How many does anyone here know? Chances are, they'd be the only one at their school who has, as it'll take a good few generations before there's a large enough number of them.

I don't care what anyone says, it's flat out unfair on the child. You can argue the fuck all you want about gay people having rights n shit, fair enough, I don't have a problem with that, but kids? You can't honestly condemn one to an absolute certainty of constant bullying throughout their childhood. Peeps say every kid gets bullied anyway, and that's bullshit. Only bully victims say that.

I usually joke about and say that anyone who opposes my opinion is automatically wrong, but in this case it's true, and if you think otherwise, then you really need to re-evaluate your bedroom level knowledge of society and social hierarchy.

Seriously, some of the self-righteous bullshit on the internet about how socially inept idiots reckon the world should be is flat out ridiculous, and is really startin to grind my fucking gears.

Actually when I was teaching I had a fair number or children being raised by gay couples. For the most part I haven't seen much bullying, but homosexuality is mostly accepted here. Even so, saying gay people shouldn't have kids, because those kids will be bullied is like saying women who get raped were asking for it by being women. No matter how many people try to accept it, its not right. Also depending on the household, it could be the best thing to ever happen to a child that was born from a druggie and a rapist, or through incest. Allowing responsible adults raise a child should never be an issue and in my experience hasn't been.

Beyond that, I have been bullied for being a short, bisexual, nerd, Carib with light skin. I got bullied because I was smaller, and because I was "gay", and because of my hobbies, and snooty white kids hated me for being an "injun" while dumb black kids called me a "honky". Even so I don't think I'd ever change it, I wasn't a victim, I took what happened and let it make me stronger. The biggest thing I got out of it is that I stopped caring about what I thought the world should be, and started caring about what I think it is. Understanding hardship allows a person to speak from experience, granted its important to stay objective and fix the problem, it is not an automatic detractor from a person's input, they may still be able to see the situation rationally and be able to do good.

If I let social norms dictate how I live my life, I'd have let that Spaniard prick beat me to death in Condado. I resist the things I see as wrong not only for my own sake but for those around me.

at the end of the day, you can say I'm wrong, but I've dealt with these issues first hand, and seen good come of it, I've got experience.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

All of it comes down to an assumption. Do you know for certain kids will be bullied?

Of course he does. The same way people knew desegregating the army was going to break down cohesion in the unit/be the harbinger of our destruction. The same way people knew allowing gays to enlist openly in her majesty's royal army and years later in the US army was going to break down cohesion in the unit/be the harbinger of our destruction. The same way people knew allowing gays to marry, have the same rights as everyone else and even adopt children was going to be a disaster when it went down in Britain. There really isn't any need for any of us to debate further. Trying to convince Mittens otherwise may as well be as successful as trying to convince Dorian to adopt a chipper attitude towards life. :P
by Sonikku
Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Its okay Mitts, I understand where you're coming from. I understand that you're taking into account what you've seen, where you live and your heart is in the right place, with the kids themselves.

I care about the little ones too, and while I have different experiences and perhaps have just been lucky I've always thought that an active approach was necessary. I understand you want to shield them from the bullying, but instead of removing them from the situation, I wish to remove the situation, and if unable, teach them to shield themselves.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RPG's( NOT Falcom,Square,Bethesda,Bioware)

Dorian wrote:Ironically, tri-Ace was forced to help with FFXIII-2 because of financial troubles.

Knowing things like this keeps me up at night.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtWGCxqrjJU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWEWCWljaBU[/youtube]
by Who Really Cares?
Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Thats why i feel that Shenmue III done on its original engine, and released as DLC would be the cheapest and most efficent way to go. Much more of a realistic approach, but still one that gets neglected.
by Peter
Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think I'm one of those people who doesn't really like playing video games all that much. I love them, but the actual gameplay is not the most important thing to me. I like atmosphere and design... and I tend to have fun in ways very different than most people. It's sort of why Shenmue is the perfect game for me.
by Thief
Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm posting too many random and pointless posts right now. It's because I'm procrastinating. Time to get off of the dojo and go do some work.
by Thief
Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

What the hell are you proposing to create? Mitts you should know this aint ever gonna happen, we've seen it a hundred times or more.
by Sailors?
Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Who is Bysby and why is he a mod?

A very old and respected member.

What websites are these, and what is it you actually do?

gay porn?

Fucking anonymous have hacked GoDaddy shutting down sites I run for people. May have lost me a customer as well. Pricks.

They do waaay more harm then good.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I didn't expect it initially, but Tanimura may have ended up as my favorite character to play as in the game. I'd love to see more of him in the series, but it's kind of iffy since he's modeled after a real person. Image-licensing issues and all that. Be nice if Hiroki Narimiya wanted to come back at some point in the future.

But yeah, you're playing likely my favorite in the series. This is the whole reason I have such high hopes for Y5, since Y4 is already so damn big and complex and involved, and the next game is supposed to be even bigger.
by OL
Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

what little change?
by wude
Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

^That game looks really good.

I bought:

by Henry Spencer
Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Anime are you watching right now?

I might not mind it so much if it actualy came off as a cultural thing. But instead it comes off as an incredibly odd attempt at sudden redemption for these characters, which just doesn't really work in the wake of all the rest of the guys that Kenshiro has plowed through and brutally dispatched.
Actually, that's one of the things I love most about the show; Kenshiro's usual cold-bloodedness when it comes to the majority of his enemies. He's not one of these new-age, politically correct "spare the villain, because I won't stoop to his level!" kinds of heroes (which I've been booing since I was a kid). If you're a bad guy and Kenshiro knows it, he will fuck you up and make your damn head explode.
And because I love that about him so much, it was just disappointing to see him being forgiving to a select few of them, especially when they were usually the worst ones of all.
Still absolutely love the show, I was just disappointed with those parts.
by OL
Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic