Search found 393 matches

Return

Re: Salute

I fucking love this guy. He's the kind of man I want to grow up to be like when I'm older. He's also something of a myth to me, a dojo legend that was before my time, but who you might occasionally catch a glimpse of, like a rare pokemon.

You also comes across as quite Alan Partridge-ish, the kind of guy who comes onto the dojo once in a blue moon to post a suave pic of himself sipping some white wine, proving to the dojo you've " (needless to say) had the last laugh". But in a totally awesome way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndWeuakyC70
by mue 26
Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Never Forget About Shenmue

Very good. I think some QTE's were better than others, but one of the best parts of the game was that amazing QTE escape in Kowloon with Ren. That is still probably the most cinematic experience in any game I've ever played.

Yeah, and don't forget the final strike to Dou Niu.
Oh my god, I jumped from the chair watching it at first time saying "GAIMOOOOOOONNNNNNNNN CHOCHUUUUU!!!!!" :rotflmao:

I was only 16 :lol:

I still remember it as the most epic strike in my videogame history.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MB0ANeCXKIU/TtzoqQD-DVI/AAAAAAAACOg/gBpI3fnnRbk/s1600/Counter%2Belbow%2Bassault.jpg

Oh man, It's been so long since I've played Shenmue 2. Now that I see that picture, that's a proper traditional Bajiquan move Ryo is doing there. Haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6v6saJcUaQ

Go to 2.32

Gah, all Baji people love that move. It is pretty good move though.
by mue 26
Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Well Far Cry 3 is sounding excellent. 10/10 from EG. I don't usually like FPS's that much, but I did like FC2, and I like the sound of this too.

Perhaps this will help us forget about Hitman Abomination?
by mue 26
Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say he's being "whiny," I just seriously doubt the game is so far removed from the old games that it qualifies as an "abomination". Looks like a damn fine game to me, whether the occasional target is killed in a cutscene or not (I know, that's only one of the problems people have cited, but I'm being pithy so as not to ramble).

http://i.imgur.com/zsoQw.jpg

How much Mountain Dew did they give you? :P
by mue 26
Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unpopular Opinions

And you cannot blame the current state of Africa on the slave trade. Certain, and often major parts of Africa's history on a whole remains to this day rather sketchy, because - as Gil Scott-Heron so eloquently and sarcastically stated - "nothin was written down on paper."

No, you can absolutely link much of the trouble Africa faces today on what the destructive forces of Europe and America did. This really is factual. And the legacy of the slave trade is still with us today. There have been no reparations made for this HUGE debt to the African people owed by America and Europe, and that debt of life is the real debt that countries like America (which was built by slaves) owe, forget all this deficit BS. African countries are now dealing with the issues that colonisation left them with, and are now also facing neo-imperialism.

And there is actually plenty of recorded history of Africa and it's many empires, rich culture, art , ect.
by mue 26
Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue retrospective

Quite a good article. We've been lucky to have two very good retrospectives lately :)

Roll on the Shenmue 2 retrospectives I say. There never were enough (and can never be enough) retrospective's on Muey 2 :)
by mue 26
Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue retrospective

I preferred the other recent article, IAmNotABot's, where the passion flowed off the page. This one's a little more restrained, written in a self-conscious style of forced analysis that barely reflects his motivation for such a pilgrimage. If you want to convert a non-believer, show them the other one first.

This. I preferred the Iamnotabot's one too. The EG one definitely comes across as a lot more self conscious and forced, almost pretentious at times. It may please a faux-arty/intellectual gamer more, but as you rightly pointed out it's nowhere near natural or impassioned as Bot's, and most importantly, it doesn't really capture the heart of Shenmue as well. I got a bit annoyed of the EG guy constantly describing Yokosuka as "dull", I mean yeah sure there are a lot of mundane elements about it, but he seemed to almost completely ignore the wildly colourful, flamboyant and mystic side of Yokosuka. What about the vivid and rich colours, what about Tom with his dancing dreads and hotdogs, what about the crazy guy with the pompadour, what about the trip to the secret basement at the Hazuki dojo? He even claims the dub is disconnected and detached, well yeah Ryo is, but what about the rest of the delightfully campy dub? The appeal of Shenmue for many was as much it's flamboyance as it's grounded nature, and the author definitely seemed to dismiss this flamboyance. It would have given me the wrong idea about the game if I had read this before playing the it. And yeah, you'd wonder why the author wanted to go to travel Yokosuka in the first place.

I did still enjoy reading though, but I liked Bot's one better too.
by mue 26
Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Really glad to see ryan, mue 26(chris), and south carmain (ruben) yesterday. Thanks for the good time guys. Shame I don't have more time to do it often. Now that makes 4 dojo members I've hung out with!

Yeah, big up my dawgs SC, Martian and Ryan. Good seeing you chaps at the historical first ever London Dojo meet! Shenmue fans....in real life, it was surreal but awesome.
by mue 26
Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You know, I'm surprised no one is excited at the idea that Corey Marshall will show up this weekend when I posted it. get happy.
well the first time wasn't that great, people took the piss out of him and he barely answered any questions

Yeah, Cory was a bit of a damp squib. He only answered one question. That's still something to be grateful for of course, but I thought it was a bit cheeky the way he proceeded to come back, blatantly ignore everyone's well written questions, and just try and promote whatever his "latest project" was. I say we ban him.
by mue 26
Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any other bronies on the dojo?

Don't really get the My Little Pony thing myself, but I don't really see the big problem with it either. So what if some men happen to appreciate a cartoon show with cutesy characters? It's not really anything new or that out of the ordinary.
by mue 26
Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hope you feel better soon, Sonikku!
by mue 26
Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Team Yu needs you!

Thanks for giving us a reply and for agreeing to take part on the 3rd Ziming.

I'll try and address your concerns though, since you were good enough to explain. The purpose of the Tweetathon, and what makes it different to previous campaigns, is that our tweets aren't for the direct attention of Sega. A lot of people do @mention Sega's account, and that's fine (as long as Sega doesn't get them suspended for spam...), but the intention is to create a high enough volume of visible unrest, concentrated on one day on a platform as public as Twitter, that even Sega's higher-ups become acutely aware of how their company looks when they ignore the fans.

This is the entire point of our campaign, Ziming. It's not just about shouting at the brick wall that is Sega, it's about appealing to the rest of the world (NOT just existing Shenmue fans), and if we can get enough other people to listen to us then Sega will no choice but to take heed. Sure they can ignore a few hundred or even a few thousand Shenmue fans easily, but they can't ignore their image being significantly tarnished on a very public forum. Who knows, it may be just enough to finally push them over the edge and get them to at least release Shenmue HD.

It's important people understand this, as it's the core premise of this campiagn. We are not just appealing to Sega.

Also, where the hell did this Jack Burton geez come from? This is the first time I've seen him post, and what a knowledge bomb of a first post it was. :nice!:
by mue 26
Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Team Yu needs you!

Sounds like a job for you, mue26!

Ay, I would, as I think I've just about gotten over the horrors I saw down in the trenches of rllmuk...but alas Neogaf won't let me register as I have a "free email account". What the hell.

I have, however, taken the opportunity to briefly bring up the campaign on Statueforum yet again. Both bumping my og thread and mentioning the campaign in the dedicated thread they now have for the statue.
by mue 26
Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue II named one of the "worst" endings of all time

Yeah, it's only on that list because it's not a real ending. Imagine if Digital Devil Saga on the PS2 (for anyone who's played it) stopped after the first game. It would have been a woefully incomplete and inadequate story. It's only after having the context of the superb sequel that a true appreciation of the first game's story telling can come about.

It's rare in gaming to have stories that are actually explicitly planned and intended to span more than one game. Sometimes game's "leave it open" for a sequel, but that's not the same, that's just lazy. You could say the Assassins Creed series have always ended on cliff hangers, but I don't think that counts either, I don't think Ubi ever plan to provide closure (or even know where the hell the story is going), rather just wish to continually string people along year after year.
by mue 26
Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

I've been playing a bit of El Shaddai recently. It's pretty great. It seems like every Japanese action game has been looking towards the Bible for inspiration when it comes to monsters for the longest time now, usually throwing a few deformed cherubs in our direction to slaughter or something. So I think it's only right that El Shaddai takes the biblical influence to it's apogee, and then coats it all in a beautiful psychedelic shell. The actual combat is decent enough, but it's all the trippy surprises the game keeps throwing at me that I'm really enjoying so far.
by mue 26
Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It actually amazes me that somehow, somehow Piers Morgan actually managed to transform himself into some sort of pseudo TV personality and international celebrity. He's the smarmiest of the smarmiest.
by mue 26
Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have most of the forum members dissappeared?

Neo Matrix...where are you bro? We miss you, well at least I miss you :(
by mue 26
Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Genuinely Happy Today!

It sounds like things are really going well for you there, Ryu. :)

The problem is we've created a business of trying to make people feel inadequate enough that they have to spend money on a variety of products and take measures to change their appearance to be more in line with what the media bombards us with as the target look constantly. Yet, the girls you see on magazine covers don't even really exist themselves. They're all the products of photoshop and editing software. Living up to these false idols is an impossible carrot on the stick climb to buy and kill yourself into making yourself into something you're not.

True words.
by mue 26
Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Awards 2012 Final Results

^Sometimes I really do wonder how spokes consistently does so well in the "Funniest member" category... :P
by mue 26
Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is any other gaming franchise as much a victim of hoaxes

The thing is, it's probably Shenmue fans who make these hoaxes most of the time. They're probably just so desperate for Shenmue news that they figure fabricating some is better than none. Either that or it's just Sega, "oh whats that, you want Shenmue 3 do you fanboys, OK, oh lookie here's some news... Ooof what, it was fake, oh no what a shame. maybe send us some more capsule toys....bitches.." Seriously, they probably have a dedicated department for this.
by mue 26
Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If Shenmue HD happens

^ I don't think Shenmue is too slow paced. Sure it may not appeal to ADHD riddled kids hooked on FPS's, but I give the people of the world enough credit to be able to "get" Shenmue. I've met so many different kinds of people and gamers who really do appreciate it's slow paced and grounded nature. I think people just need easier access to it than we have right now having to rely on our creaky beloved DC's
by mue 26
Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo Hazuki Statue from First4Figures.com

I'd always be interested in any stuff, no matter who made it, as long as it's high quality. Look at what those fangamer people did with the Mother franchise, none of the merch was "official" and so was always slyly named, but to most fans their stuff (especially the lovely sculptures by Camile Young) was considered as good if not better than anything "official".
by mue 26
Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Meme depository thread

Some terrible ones in there, but some pretty good ones too haha. Martian takes the crown though, no one can make Shenmue meme's like him. Even if it was only the the strength of his signature one alone!
by mue 26
Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If Shenmue HD happens

Well said Chris. I agree that I don't think we give some of the world enough credit. Now if that's enough that could translte into profit for Sega? We'll just have to see. It'd be interesting to realease that game in today's enviornment and see the reaction it gets.

Yeah I agree, it would be really interesting to see what response it gets. As for why Sega hasn't already re-released it, well, I agree with you, it is a bit head scratching. I had a few people say to me recently "oh, it's because Shenmue would be too much hard work to re-release, and when you consider the low sales of their other recent re-releases, who can blame Sega for not bothering". But that argument just doesn't really wash for me. It may sound arrogant, but this is Shenmue we're talking about! This is not Space Channel 5 or Crazy Taxi. There aren't many games out there that have garnered the type of reverence and almost mystique that Shenmue has. There's easily a big enough market to make a Shenmue re-release worth while, I mean, think of the internet hype alone! I maintain that Sega are either planning to do it, or if not, it's because they are trying their best to let it's legacy die and stamp out the embers of desire for a sequel.
by mue 26
Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metal Gear series

I couldn't give a shit about whether Raiden is "in character" or not, personally. This game looks absolutely batshit mental...and I like it!
by mue 26
Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kiba's identity discovered:

by mue 26
Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So Kiba version 121 is planning to leave us? Why? Your so much better than Kiba v120 was. You retain his/her trademark love of imperialism, Christianity and the English language, but eschew some (if not quite all) of the more unsavory aspects of his/her rhetoric as well as the irritating gimmick of black and white writing, all the while coming across as more sincere and having a more playful sense of humour.
by mue 26
Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I quite like that. Though I think I would like it more without the Shenmue 2 written on it.
by mue 26
Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hottest Emcee on the Scene Right Now

Yeah he's pretty hard. Still, he doesn't quite touch my soul like this does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrJ6ZIFyjTw

:lol: :oops: :heart:

I love this guy, how can anyone not love him? @ 2.58 he's fully blown crying in the middle of a pet shop :lol:

He also legit owns a copy of Shenmue too. :heart:
by mue 26
Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

:lol: gwan Antigua!
by mue 26
Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't think Riku is doing anything wrong at all to be honest, as OL said , it's just a video game, if someone wants to pay over the odds for it, then that's fair game. I also see where SC is coming from too though, if someone is buying entire stocks of the game and making it nearly impossible for others to buy it just so they can sell them all at a higher price, then yeah that's very shystie (and so are those fools who "phantom" buy stuff on ebay to deliberately raise the value of certain items). But anyone who really wanted Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition at the normal price had more than enough opportunity, so as I said, if they're now willing to pay more for a fancy edition of a game (and clearly have more disposable income then me!), I'd let them.

I've done the same thing in the past. I was in a shop once, and saw two copies of MGS subsistence being sold for £15. I bought both and stuck one of them on ebay straight away for £45 (undercutting the other sellers), and it sold within minutes. Did I feel guilty? Not at all.

Riku just made a good investment, it's that simple. Sure, I'd gain respect for you if you gave it away the game for free, but I wouldn't lose respect for you if you didn't, we live in a capitalist society not a buddhist monastry, and have to play by the rules to an extent. Riku isn't being dishonest and that's the main thing to me.

All this talk of "morals" is getting way off the subject, and a it's a very contentious subject itself. Are we naturally "moral", is it human nature? It can be argued either way, but you only need to look at the different societies or different time periods to see how variable morality can be.
by mue 26
Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Did Shenmue have the best music ever?

I kind of agree with this, even though I do enjoy it as stand alone music too. I don't think it can even really be called "bad" though, it's true it had to work within the limits that game music had back then, but some of the compositions capture that certain mystique that Shenmue had (or indeed gave Shenmue that mystique it has) so very finely. It balances the tone of the game incredibly well, always hinting at the mystic, even while Ryo is trudging through the mundane streets of doubita.

Bad is an inaccurate word in this instance, but you almost prove my point. It needs the game shenmue for it to work. Out of that context it really isn't anything special.

And if anything that heightens its greatness as a soundtrack composition.

Agreed. Though I think I enjoy listening to it on it's own for precisely the reason that you don't. I enjoy sticking some of it on while I'm studying or the like, specifically because it doesn't yank your attention away from whatever it is your doing and I don't find it distracting. it's simple but yet still has a nice atmospheric feel to it. I can't really listen to most of the types of music I love while I'm working, but something like Shenmue's music (especially the "FREE" songs) goes down well.
by mue 26
Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just thinking that the Dojo has been drama free for a while now (touch wood!), and how much nicer it is like this.
by mue 26
Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Outdated daily things we take for granted

^ Please clarify the link your trying to make between circumcision and moderation of sexual activities. That's a nonsense. Not to diss anyone who has been circumcised, but as far as I'm concerned we're born with a foreskin for a reason. If someone grows up and decides "hey I like the idea of having no foreskin, it will help with hygiene" then by all means go for it. But is it really necessary to force it on an unwitting baby? Because lets face it, most parents aren't making that call due to the supposed argument of hygiene, it comes down to ridiculous religious dogma. It's exactly like when dog breeders say "I should allowed to dock my Boxer dog's tail, otherwise he might bash it against the wall and hurt himself", piss off, you just want to dock the dog's tail because you think that's how Boxers are supposed to look. I truly hate all this dogmatic idiocy. Which brings me nicely onto this:

This is also why many young western men become fans of anime and east Asian games, culture, etc. For example, Japanese culture has not been subjected to as much arbitrary alteration as in the west, so western males find eastern females to be more natural, more feminine, and, quite frankly, therefore, less abrasive.

I disagree with nearly everything you have written here. Firstly Japan has been subject to vast influence and alteration from the west, what planet are you living on? Secondly, the things I dislike most about Japan are the dogmatic aspects of it's society. I sometimes think that Japan, in a way, got the worst of both worlds. The modernising influence the west has caused modern Japan to lose connection with or just forget much of the truly beneficial ancient knowledge that was inherent over there, but frustratingly, at the same time Japan has insisted on clinging on to many completely pointless dogmatic practises which serve no helpful purpose. OK, so this isn't entirely fair of me, as there are some examples of the opposite being true too, and I'm certainly being a tad judgemental. But still.

I don't like dogma. Yet I also don't like losing sight of the beneficial knowledge and practices that originate from the worlds ancient cultures. We just need to be discerning, and be able to separate the helpful from the unhelpful. Unfortunately it seems most people can only go to one extreme or the other, and the result is that we often end up losing on both fronts.
by mue 26
Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Riku Rose wrote:
Ryudo wrote:Also when did I ever say Halo was the worst game of all time? Never

From the worst games you've played topic.

Ryudo wrote: Blue Stinger

Don't listen to them, Blue Stinger. I still love you.

Also, the attempted OoT desecrating made my ears bleed. Top 5 of all time, no doubt.
by mue 26
Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Did Shenmue have the best music ever?

It's definitely up there, and probably my personal favourite, but there is some fantastic quality video game music out there today. A recent particular favourite of mine is the frankly epic soundtrack to Nier. Deadly Premonition's also gets an honourable mention and has some perfect tunes, though it is probably just a little too schizophrenic for me on the whole, mind, that actually works for the game to be honest. A slightly less left field choice would be the poppy but cinematic score to FF13, yeah yeah I know some of it "sounds like music the composer has already done for other games", but it fit the game perfectly and definitely added to my enjoyment of it.

Still nothing quite gives me the chills like Mue's soundtrack does.
by mue 26
Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Song Are You Listening To Now?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1upFQlr62k[/youtube]
by mue 26
Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Timex watch

Haha, fair enough, we all have odd passions for one thing or another. So, is the T43371 actually considered a well made time telling piece too, or is it mostly just revered for it being Ryo's watch? And yeah I don't know why Ryo got gimped on the calender function, he could have used that! Congrats on getting your watch after so many years.
by mue 26
Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Just watched Black Death starring the one and only Seany Bean. I'd never heard of this film before, but when I saw it featured Sean-"the man"- Bean kitted up in medieval amour/ weaponry, and brooding like only he knows how, I was sold! What I wasn't expecting though, was for the film to be quite as good as it was. Certainly one of the most memorable and haunting film depictions of medieval England that I've seen. The writing was more nuanced than I expected on the whole, and the plot definitely ended up going in a different direction to the standard fair that I was anticipating, the film having a nice and bleak little subtext on how fanaticism effects us. The postscript type segment that the film ends on, is perhaps a little unnecessary and overt, the movie would have been better off rolling the credits a couple minutes sooner in my opinion. Still, I would recommend Black Death, as when it comes to Bean snarling and brandishing swords, you could do worse than this
by mue 26
Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Timex watch

Have to confess I didn't know that the"expedition" series from timex didn't existed before 1997! And I just called myself an expert. I have always taken for granted that ryo used a watch from the 80's and not from the future? The indiglo light didn't exist at shenmue's time either.

Ah that makes a bit more sense. When you said it was from the 80's I thought that was a surprisingly authentic bit of product placement from Timex. It makes more sense commercially for it to have been a current model I guess, or maybe...time travel will factor into the story of Shenmue 3? Iwao hazuki was a time traveler!!
by mue 26
Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Got Banned From Riding The Bus Today

I think Riku is definitely pulling our leg with this one. It's just so ridiculous.
by mue 26
Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to win a Private Dinner where Yu Suzuki is Present!

We should also send Peter. Obviously so he can show Yu his awesome tattoo, it might fill Yu with grit and determination he needs to see the job done. I'd also recommend a dialogue along the lines of "YOU SEE THIS...THIS IS WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME!"

Seriously though, whoever goes needs to be a big drinker (preferably of wine). We need you to get Yu smashed and then coerce all kinds of secret information out of him.

And watch out for that AliMN guy. He's bound to be on the stalking mission...and may be dangerous :P
by mue 26
Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Never played a Fire Emblem game before but this review has me pretty hyped for it's eventual Europe release.
http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/11/fire-embl ... s-3401362/
by mue 26
Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Happy Valentines day, who wants some?

^ I want to unthank that post even though I've never thanked it. Why did you post all that?
by mue 26
Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic