Search found 85 matches

Return

Re: Yakuza series

Bloody hell I had March 20th booked off work for that reason. Atleast they're releasing a demo, I don't believe that's been done since Yakuza 4?
by Crimson Ryan
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you think that Shenmue 3 was being made for Saturn?

mjq jazz bar wrote: No. It wasn't even being made for the Dreamcast as far as I'm aware.

There are video models of Sun Niao so it was being made on Dreamcast to some extent.
by RyoHazuki84
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Is it? I guess if there's already a discussion thread on the go by the time the news is posted then that would make sense, and there'd be a link within the news post to that thread. But I can't see that being the case if it's the first and only thread on the subject.

Anyway, I was mainly pointing to it for anyone who hadn't read the interview and would therefore want to know the context behind darksniper's comment.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega Festival 2018 - FES

Now fix that crappy S3 logo, Yu!
by ManoTemple
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

I did say if Shenmue HD gets announced, i'd run through the street naked. Off i go...........
by ShenSun
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll [Back]

I'm sorry, but personally I think the handwritten logo is awful. I feel bad saying that especially since it was created by Yu-san himself, but the cursive one is so much more aesthetically pleasing. I feel that it is important to keep things consistent especially now that Shenmue I&II is using a form of the original logo. I think it's kind of bogus that they decided to change it from the papyrus one to the cursive version in June 2017 because of the fan response and then just randomly change their minds all of sudden. I hope that this will be reconsidered sometime before the final release.
by GamePark
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

I am glad that we'll finally get to play Shenmue I & II on modern hardware. The released teaser made me a bit concerned about the quality of those ports though.
The most outdated aspect of Shenmue & Shenmue II imho is their clunky controls, which will be improved in the new ports. I wish they could've remade the two games with more improvements instead of simply porting them with minor visual and control tweaks, but again I'll take it as it is .. at least I won't be annoyed by the very noisy Dreamcast lens while playing them anymore.
by Technophilz
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Booking Time Off Work To Play Shenmue HD?

I generally do take days off for new game releases. Incidentally, I have this Tuesday off for Yakuza 6..
by Crimson Ryan
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD Fact sheet

d3t. Now I know why the remaster has errors like wrong eye movement and aspect ratio. Somebody needs to reach out them and explain a few things they're doing improperly before the console versions are baked.

I'm pretty much done with your toxicity and constant negative attitude. This is your last..... Last warning. It's not 2012 anymore, and the toxic place this once was, isn't what it's like anymore. Not as long as I own it. Change the attitude or find another site to visit.
by Peter
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will the audio be improved in the HD version?

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it being improved upon, but like Kiba and I mentioned in another thread, the compressed audio actually contributed pretty well to the atmosphere back when we first played the games. They are, after all, based in the 80s and take place across Asia; the compressed audio mimics the feel of an old 70s/80s karate/kung fu dub.
Much like putting intentional film grain into something to make it feel older, the compressed audio helps to plant you firmly in the 80s. Decompressing the audio wouldn't kill the games or anything, but it would detract a bit from the Shenmue I know and love. As it is, nothing else in gaming really sounds like Shenmue; you can hear an uncredited voice clip from it elsewhere and know immediately that, yes, that's Shenmue. I personally kind of like that it's so identifiable that way, and "improving" the audio would only serve to remove that aspect.
by OL
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Release Date Speculation

Right after a Shenmue 3 trailer at E3. The physicals will follow.
by ShenSun
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New batch of screens

I think shenmue has always a very distinct look. Shenmue 1 is very urban and gives off a realistic street vibe that we all can relate to. It's what drew me to the game initially. Shenmue 2 is very colorful and features a wide range of environments ranging from rural to street etc.

I think the real beauty of this series is that you can actually experience Japanese and Chinese culture through a video game. That's insane when you think about it.
by ShenSun
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What do you think Shenmue 3 will happen?

I'm about to experience Shenmue 1 for the first time ever, and later on in a few months, Shemue 2.

I know every now and then we get rumors or speculation, or even teased by Sega. But in all honesty, do you ever think we will see Shenmue 3.
https://i.imgur.com/dLfPsSw.png?1

Shenmue III was announced almost three years ago.
by Spaghetti
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you most looking forward to?

I'm looking forward to sharing the part in Shenmue II where Ryo and Shenhua are traveling together through Guilin with my 6 year old daughter. I've shown her videos of some parts of that sequence and she's really interested in Shenhua. It also seems to be her main wish to talk to the characters when I've shared other games with her... usually older games, like Ecco the Dolphin - but of course the conversations in those games are usually limited to one or two sentences. Chatting with Shenhua at length and seeing the fireflies and the color-changing river will probably delight her.
by Centrale
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Maybe getting a little ahead of yourself with the "Shenmue IV being developed concurrently alongside III talk"...

We're a long way from how bad things used to be for the series, but we're not out of the woods yet.
by Spaghetti
Thu May 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spaghetti wrote:All we know right now for sure is that Deep Silver will be at E3, but of course we know they've got other games on their slate beneath Shenmue.

Fixed. 8)
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun May 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "5% of what he knows" says Adam Koralik?

Ryo can now use the toilet.
by ShenSun
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

First you complain that the game doesn't look good enough for you, then you complain that they're taking more time to improve it.

Absolutely impossible to please. You cannot have it both ways.
by Jibby
Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yup, and it's really hard to outperform them..
Right, you've said your piece and succeeded in convincing me with your contradictions that the only reason you post here is to deliberately wind people up.

You cannot complain that the project is not of a high enough quality for your liking and then complain when they take extra time to address the concerns. We're not going to play along with your game. It will not be tolerated here.

I'm going to administer a 30 day suspension and by the time it's over I hope you will have dropped the act and not continue to play us as fools.
by Jibby
Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That 30 day suspension should begin once any major Shenmue news drops. Or else it would be pointless as he's not going to post within that 30 day period anyway.

:lol: That's true! The dude literally only shows up on the day of an update to moan and then we don't see him again until the next update. He contributes nothing to the forum the entire rest of the time.
by Centrale
Wed May 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Whatever happens happens. If news drops and he decides to ignore the warning then further action will be taken as required.
by Jibby
Wed May 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lakshya was brought in to help with the expanded scope in NPCs and characters. I seem to recall a small snippet where the development team has increased.

It could be larger than we think now.

The Shenmue 3 Lakysha team consists of approximately 30 game artists, namely 3D character art. In Japan I would estimate another 50-55 staff comprised primarily from YSNEt and Neilo staff, as well as various local contractors. This would would bring the team size to approximately 80-85 members, far smaller than the 175 member Shenmue 2 team, but still very capable at that. As an example, the highly acclaimed Shadow of the Colossus PS4 remake was achieved by a team of 80 staff spread between Bluepoint Studios and SIE Japan Studio.

As far quality is concerned, my sense from Yu Suzuki based on past interviews is that Shenmue 3 will be his most personal and intimate game in the series. I believe that we are in for something quite special.
by WildManofBorneo
Wed May 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

I was kind of hoping for something more along the lines of the modern Yakuza aesthetic, but w/e I guess. I trust that Suzuki knows what he's doing.
by dietsoap
Sun May 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentat

Why can't they just make him look like this? Image
by ShenmueHDYEAH
Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sony, Shibuya and Deep Silver all have contributed money alongside the Kickstarter funds. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sega have quietly put a few dollars towards it.
by Riku Rose
Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Maybe so. But 30 million+ going into Shenmue III is better than I could've imagined. 5 years ago I would've thought that would be impossible. The fact that we're even having this discussion right now is a testament to how far we've come.

Not sure of the exact numbers right now, but through crowdfunding Shenmue III earned about 6-8 million. If DS adds about another 12, Shenmue III would be at a modest 20 million dollar budget. Which again is more than I could've ever wished for given the circumstances.

Given Yu Suzuki's track history, I'm excited and confident that a modest bump in the budget is exactly what he needed to deliver the Shenmue III not to our standards, but his own. At this moment we still have no idea what the real Shenmue III really looks like so there's a lot more to look forward to.

Right now Shenmue is in a great place and I'm more optimistic than ever. I'm happy knowing that YS is at work and whatever happens, happens.
All I'm saying is to not let your expectations rise too high. We're definitely in a better position than if Ys Net had stuck with their KS/Shibuya money, but at the end of the day the game was always going to be made modestly.
by Spaghetti
Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's funny that people are always comparing the Yakuza series to Shenmue, and now the voice actor for Shenhua is named Haruka.
by Centrale
Fri May 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A bit, yes. In a perfect world the Yakuza team would drop by YS net studios and do all the 3D model work for free.
by killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Wed May 30, 2018 8:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree that a Shenmue III showing doesn't exactly need Yu, but he's effectively the face of the project and the person most of the press would be interested in talking to (for both Shenmue III reasons and for his legacy). If there's going to be a showing of any substance at all, press interviews would be on the cards too, and that will likely be centred around Yu.

He might be accompanied by Harry Morishita, one of the producers, but I don't really expect Yu to bring like... programmers with him. Even when he does trips to Monaco, Cologne, wherever - the development is still ongoing at the studio and those programmers are probably going to be needed. Yu can at least delegate some work to Keiji Okayasu, although I have a sneaking suspicion Yu still gets work done even on the business trips.

Are you a PMP? You use a lot of project management parlance.
I'm a P-I-M-P 8)

Sorry, no. Since Shenmue III went into development I've gotten really interested in how game development works in general, and a lot of project management terms came with that. Some of that was spurred by Yu himself talking about using Agile, which added a lot of context to what we've been seeing in the iterative approach.
by Spaghetti
Thu May 31, 2018 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: physical copies of the game in unique cases?

Hi ShenmueHeart, sorry to derail your thread but I noticed that you're an alt account of RunningBear. We've had issues with alt accounts in the past and as you seem to be active on both accounts, I'd like you to pick which of the two you want to continue using (the other one will be closed down).

Once this is resolved then feel free to get back to discussing the matter in the OP.
by Jibby
Mon May 21, 2018 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu also probably expected to raise only around $2M and make a story-focused non-open world game, late 2017 seemed reasonable.

Exactly, and for those itching to say, "oohh well he clearly knew this would have exceeded 2 million and broke records", well, hindsight is a wonderful thing. This could have bombed. Maybe it should. Maybe it would have if it wasnt for Sony allowing Yu-san to appear on their stage. If you thought the man expected to gain a dollar over 2 million, go watch his tears during the final Twitch stream for the Kickstarter.

The love and support from the entire Shenmue fanbase across the planet will infect every minute he spends working on this game. Yes, its not going to be a 47 million dollar blockbuster, but you can rest assured that the money gained from all of the various sources will be squeezed dry into that game.

Ive said it all the way through this process, but one day, you will be leaving Shenhua's home, walk down the pathway past the river, into Bailu Village, and you will realise... that this is Shenmue 3. Ryo looking and moving just as you would expect. The cinematics pulling you in, and the story gripping you. Just wait and see.
by Peter
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Maybe I'm cynical about games journos, but part of me thinks some will shit on the game regardless. Doesn't matter what PR moves are pulled, or how good the game actually may be, it'll be a matter of ego, a morbid desire to slaughter a "sacred cow", and to say "I told you so".

Some of those people are genuinely m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e .
by Spaghetti
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenhua's voice actor has updated her blog - https://ameblo.jp/palblog37/entry-12383933163.html

It's not much, but there's another little image of Shenmue III on the screen

by KidMarine
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Depends on the year for how much of a show Sony puts on. I wouldn't expect a press conference or the like.

Gamescom is stomping ground for Deep Silver/THQ Nordic anyway, and they're going to be doing the heavy lifting on promotion here. YouTube upload and maybe another guest spot for Yu on the PlayStation blog is all I expect from Sony.
by Spaghetti
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Locking this thread as the question has now been answered.

FYI - if anybody wants to gripe about it and go through the "pre-order cancelled!" motions, do it elsewhere. By which I mean off-site.

Thanks.
by Spaghetti
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

Anonymous81 wrote: That's my last post ever on this site. Goodbye.

Like the end of a Weakest Link episode.

Goodbye.
by iyapol
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/

I don't care about 4:3, 16:9 , letterboxes, HD, SD or any of that. I'm just glad that I can finally play Shenmue again and that Sega answered my lifelong dream of playing Shenmue I with some bloom on my TV. Life is good.

This!

I could not agree more. Not only are we getting BOTH games released for modern systems, but we are getting a ton of improvements (Save anywhere :heart: )

But also the way SEGA are getting behind Shenmue in such a big way, is really touching to see. After so many years of being a brick wall, they are even featuring Shenmue as one of their key franchises on their website!
by TheTimeRanger
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Im more concerned about the animation thats going to be applied to these graphics. From what they've shown, they've proven they don't understand animation basics.

Oh, really? What do you think is more likely... that the professionals working on Shenmue III somehow have landed this job without understanding animation basics? Or that a consumer who has been shown work-in-progress footage doesn't understand what they're seeing in regards to the overall game development schedule?
by Centrale
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #85: Survey Info #2: $7M stretch goal reached!

I'm back only for this post.

... Or a QTE prompt.

Could be a counter indicator, à la the Arkham series.
It's neither.

https://abload.de/img/fightingthugsindicato9jf1p.jpg

Looks like a lock-on indicator. There's also a forklift in the background, and what look like newspapers on the floor.

The move Ryo is doing looks really similar to Akira's Houken at 1 minute 54 in this video: https://youtu.be/B9jm6lbJj54?t=113

High res:

https://abload.de/img/fight_with_thugsqrev6.jpg
by Spaghetti
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #85: Survey Info #2: $7M stretch goal reached!

This screen is still work-in-progress and " are " subject to change.

Maybe they were planning to release more than a single screen and eventually changed their mind, but still they should know that world is observing each and every bit of info related to Shenmue III very closely. Apart from that typo, it's nice to see updates starting to look more professional.

The screen looks good too and another stretch goal reached. I think this might be one of the best updates yet.
by Technophilz
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic