phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
by Nahovil
Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Members Introduce Yourself!

Hello from Portugal.

I stumbled upon the forum about ten years ago now, and lurked sporadically. Thank you for keeping this most resourceful place alive and thriving for so many years.
by Nahovil
Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Japanese Music

As mue 26 posted, the eclectic (Nozaki Ryota) jazztronik:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
by Nahovil
Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RYO HAZUKI - 3D Project

Hello people.

I'm in the midst of a college project for which I'm modeling a Ryo figure from photographic reference. Thanks to wude for aiding me in getting those from the passport.

I'm using these two programs named Lightwave and ZBrush. However, I'm a complete newbie to 3D software, so I'm pretty reserved as to what the outcome will be.

The basic model, in Lightwave

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/LurkerOfChalice/Untitled-1.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/LurkerOfChalice/Untitled-2.jpg

and a Zbrush wip

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/LurkerOfChalice/Untitled-3.jpg

Tell me what you think.
by Nahovil
Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Song Are You Listening To Now?

phpBB [video]
by Nahovil
Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RYO HAZUKI - 3D Project

Can't wait to see it textured.

Gracias, Fenix.

So, I tried painting the jacket and made the eyes. This was the outcome.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/LurkerOfChalice/ZBrushDocumentRYO-7.png

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/LurkerOfChalice/ZBrushDocumentRYO-8.png

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/LurkerOfChalice/ZBrushDocumentRYO-9.png
by Nahovil
Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Diagnosed With Testicular Cancer :(

Stay strong ShenSun, and keep us updated.
by Nahovil
Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

Well done, Thief. How long have you been playing for?

Only recently have I played Guardian Heroes, as I was too young to own a Saturn myself. What an impressive game in its potencial and diversity. The overall symbolism is quite enthralling too.

"The Sword", the soundtrack to a relevant part of the game. The starting 20 seconds are quite, for a lack of a better word... Epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_h4eV7c4qs

Hopefully, it hasn't been posted yet.
by Nahovil
Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Good Looking Broads

Well, I have never seen her act. A friend of mine, who used to watch a show called Community , showed me a picture of her a while ago.

The sex appeal is overwhelming

http://watikalemon.com/watikalemon/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/1315764560544.gif

http://i.imgur.com/cy9IY.gif

http://i.imgur.com/iiGKT.gif
by Nahovil
Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't get me started on Yura

by Nahovil
Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV series are you watching?

I don't like watching TV series, but I've heard this is amazing. From a friend of mine. Four years straight of pestering. It better be good.
by Nahovil
Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yura v Bora?

Yura

by Nahovil
Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree, Thief.

Round 2

http://yellowslugreviews.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/yura-expecation-live-gif.gif

http://data1.whicdn.com/images/57353418/large.png

http://i.minus.com/ibsk00ztC9CYzw.gif

http://cfile6.uf.tistory.com/image/254B643651C077611E5636
by Nahovil
Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV series are you watching?

http://christopherwink.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/the-wire.jpg

I don't like watching TV series, but I've heard this is amazing. From a friend of mine. Four years straight of pestering. It better be good.
Whatever you may think of the first few episodes I strongly advise you to stick with it. The Wire is one of those things I wish I could erase and watch for the first time again.

Most def, even though I figured this was really good from the second episode on, from storyline to acting... And overall verisimilitude. No banalizing morality or cheap philosophy, either. Fo' sure.

I've finished the first season and I fully understand why it's called the best show ever, by some. It will probably take a month until I resume watching the rest, though, 'aight?
by Nahovil
Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General Anime Discussion

Bambi wrote:

Just started watching this, it's come highly recommended.

A coincidence, Bambi. I've had this special edition box of Monster, lent from a friend of mine, for 2 years and am about to finally start watching it this week.
by Nahovil
Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Custom Colored Dreamcast Shells

myshtuff wrote: Yeah that Jet Set Radio one from someone else is great. I wish I did mine as nice. Oh well. It was my first attempt.

Had you drawn the logo a bit better, and yours would be just as good. The splatter works well.
by Nahovil
Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue (You had to be there)

For every person I've met who have had a Dreamcast, it is their favourite game ever, as it is mine. Granted, since I'm not a "gamer" and nobody owns a Dreamcast, they are only two.

It is impossible to measure the weight of nostalgia in loving something fondly, but one can infer it weighs heavily, particularly in people who tend to cherish times past. You had to be there if one was to have the full, enthralling and, thus, maximized, experience of being confronted with a distinct way of life while growing up in an uncharacterized European suburb.

That's not to say a grown man or woman in his 30s can't play it for the first time and not be fully captivated by it, but what will distinguish these assertions is, chiefly, a romantic and rational stance, I'd say.
by Nahovil
Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Football

phpBB [video]

How incredibly refreshing was that?
by Nahovil
Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Diagnosed With Testicular Cancer :(

Go at it, ShenSun. Make sure you do something you love everyday, like all of us ought to.
by Nahovil
Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Cinematic Wallpapers Packs and Extras

Excelente. Keep it up, Ricardo.
by Nahovil
Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New GDC Plot image discussion *Spoilers*

wait! heroic battle with randi (lan di) loses purpose begins new journey????

All we wanted to do was kill lan di? So we kill lan di then there's another game/journey.

am i wrong in thinking the following:

Introduction = Shenmue 1
Development = shenmue 2
Denouement (kill lan di) shenmue 3
conclusion = ???? begins a new journey? shenmue 4?

can anyone shed light on the meaning?

Lan Di doesn't get killed. Ryo doesn't get vengeance. The whole point of Shenmue itself, as a tale, is about being faced with the pointlessness of the vendetta.
by Nahovil
Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Members Introduce Yourself!

ryo hazuki97 wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome!

Welcome. Have you known the game for long? What made you interested in playing the game now?
by Nahovil
Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki at Gamelab 2014 (Information & Multimedia)

Ok Fenix, thanks. Since I was already halfway through it, I might as well post it.

One of the most acclaimed people by the spectators over at the Gamelab was Yu Suzuki, the japanese who was Sega's soul for years, father of games like Outrun, Virtua Fighter and Shenmue. He was the recipient of the Legend Award by the Interactive Arts and Sciences Academy of Spain. We had the privilege of chatting with him.

R3: Yu Suzuki, it is an honour to share a moment with a legend such as yourself.

YS : Thank you so much, I am very pleased to be here in Spain, receiving such an important award.

R3: Since it would be understandably hard for you to pick one game from all of those you've created, I'm allow myself to do so. The one which has marked me the most was Outrun, since, I'm not sure you're aware of it, sparked the hope, in the youngsters playing at the arcade, that one day we'd be driving a Ferrari with a marvellous blonde by our side.

YS : It pleases me very much, that there are still people reminiscing about the game. In fact, while developing Outrun, our main goal was to distance ourselves from the racing arcades of the time, in which racing against the time and other cars was the main goal. I wanted to set us apart from that, creating a sense of luxury and fantasy and that's why we picked a red Ferrari and a blonde girl by our side, with an outstretched arm, in a more relaxed setting.

R3: Well, the era of Outrun is the age of excellence of the arcade saloons, places regarded as temples in which people would gather up. Are you in any way sorry about their disappearance? How do you see gaming Industry's evolution?

YS : Truthfully, it saddens me that these places keep on disappearing throughout every city. This demand and way of playing waned due to other platforms such as consoles and, more recently, cellphones and tablets... Times have changed. I feel sorry about it because you no longer touch the machines, such as punching in boxing games, or how friends would laugh at you when you would slap the joystick in frustration when you lost. It was something else.

R3: Well the arcade saloons have faded away because industry has changed the criteria, with new technology arising. With the arrival of consoles, videogaming has also been somewhat democratized. Now, in a new change of paradigm, the internet shows up. How do you think it'll affect the future of videogaming?

YS : I think that, instead of playing solitarily, the experience is always heightened when shared with friends, so the presence of other people beside you is something positive. Nowadays, you can even play with someone who's anywhere in the world, live, and that enhances the experience further.

R3: If you had known more precisely how the evolution of Internet gaming would come about, would you have developed any of your games differently?

YS : If I had know how popular the Internet would become, I'd have made some things differently. For instance, the open-world of Shenmue would have been different, as I'd have made an effort to emulate the real life of a society, we would have striven to create a completely living game because the technology would then have allowed us to.

R3: Let's roll back the years all the way to the mid 80's when an arcade named Hang-On first appeared, the first game I recall in which you could simulate riding a motorcycle. Do you regard these sort of machines as incipient to later technologies such as motion-detecting technology?

YS : At that time, we started creating games and their mechanics with the available technology, such as joysticks - it was simpler, and also less realistic.

(...)
by Nahovil
Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki at Gamelab 2014 (Information & Multimedia)

I went and translated the whole interview, while I was at it - Yeah, school's over. Thank you for the heads up, though, Fenix.

One of the most acclaimed people by the spectators over at the Gamelab was Yu Suzuki, the japanese who was Sega's soul for years, father of games like Outrun, Virtua Fighter and Shenmue. He was the recipient of the Legend Award by the Interactive Arts and Sciences Academy of Spain. We had the privilege of chatting with him.

R3: Yu Suzuki, it is an honour to share a moment with a legend such as yourself.

YS : Thank you so much, I am very pleased to be here in Spain, receiving such an important award.

R3: Since it would be understandably hard for you to pick one game from all of those you've created, I'm allow myself to do so. The one which has marked me the most was Outrun, since, I'm not sure you're aware of it, sparked the hope, in the youngsters playing at the arcade, that one day we'd be driving a Ferrari with a marvellous blonde by our side.

YS : It pleases me very much, that there are still people reminiscing about the game. In fact, while developing Outrun, our main goal was to distance ourselves from the racing arcades of the time, in which racing against the time and other cars was the main goal. I wanted to set us apart from that, creating a sense of luxury and fantasy and that's why we picked a red Ferrari and a blonde girl by our side, with an outstretched arm, in a more relaxed setting.

R3: Well, the era of Outrun is the age of excellence of the arcade saloons, places regarded as temples in which people would gather up. Are you in any way sorry about their disappearance? How do you see gaming Industry's evolution?

YS : Truthfully, it saddens me that these places keep on disappearing throughout every city. This demand and way of playing waned due to other platforms such as consoles and, more recently, mobile phones and tablets... Times have changed. I feel sorry about it because you no longer touch the machines, such as punching in boxing games, or how friends would laugh at you when you would slap the joystick in frustration when you lost. It was something else.

R3: Well the arcade saloons have faded away because industry has changed the criteria, with new technology arising. With the arrival of consoles, videogaming has also been somewhat democratized. Now, in a new change of paradigm, the internet shows up. How do you think it'll affect the future of videogaming?

YS : I think that, instead of playing solitarily, the experience is always heightened when shared with friends, so the presence of other people beside you is something positive. Nowadays, you can even play with someone who's anywhere in the world, live, and that enhances the experience further.

R3: If you had known more precisely how the evolution of Internet gaming would come about, would you have developed any of your games differently?

YS : If I had know how popular the Internet would become, I'd have made some things differently. For instance, the open-world of Shenmue would have been different, as I'd have made an effort to emulate the real life of a society, we would have striven to create a completely living game because the technology would then have allowed us to.

R3: Let's roll back the years all the way to the mid 80's when an arcade named Hang-On first appeared, the first game I recall in which you could simulate riding a motorcycle. Do you regard these sort of machines as incipient to later technologies such as motion-detecting technology?

YS : At that time, we started creating games and their mechanics with the available technology, such as joysticks - it was simpler, and also less realistic. With Hang-On, we were able to deliver an all but total sensation of realism. What I really wanted to have was a real motorcycle, instead of the ones made of plastic, with it's working engine, blowing out smoke and all - but, obviously, that would have made for unbearable maintenance costs.

R3: And what do you think of new technologies, such as XBox's Kinect, or even Oculus Rift's and Project Morpheus' virtual-reality proposals?

YS : More than ten years ago, while I was still a part of Sega's developing team, we already experimented with virtual-reality, and now I believe it is almost ready to be shown to the public, and not only concerning video-games. Virtual-reality has immense potential in fields like Medicine and Tourism.

R3: Reviewing your creations, it would be impossible not to address the arrival of the polygons. You are the developer of Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter, the unforgettable fighting game, which incorporated those big pixels and enormous polygons in order to convey depth. How, do you think, should gaming industry acknowledge that massive generational leap?

YS : Before the use of polygons became widespread, graphics were much better, as the drawings were really good and colourful, but a more realistic perspective was the important thing lacking. Surely, with Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter, the graphic design was a step behind, regarding two dimensional games, but we were able to convey real life depth and perspective in a much more accurate way. I felt like that was the right time to make the leap over to the new 3D technology, aware of how drastic of a change it would be.

R3: After the 3D world, the next big step for video-gaming has been drawing itself closer to photorealism, to the hyper-realist graphics. You have, for instance, experimented with it in what many hold as your masterpiece, Shenmue . Do you believe the industry has adapted itself well to this new tendency?

YS : When it came to start developing Shenmue , the cinematic scenes were fundamental, because it was a game in which the story, above action, was the most important thing. What we were striving for, was to make an interactive film, with QTE sequences and a lot of video sequences that made up the story as you'd go. Nowadays, technology has allowed for hyper-realism, so I believe the challenge is now not so much in achieving an image as much as enhancing gameplay.

R3: Shenmue 's story is so extensive, it wouldn't have fit into a single video-game, so we got Shenmue II . However, the story remains unfinished and each year, or at least in cyclical fashion, fans keep on pleading you to go on. There have been rumours, at the last E3, that we may be close to a third instalment. So... What do you want to say to the legions of fans, worldwide?

YS : (Laughs) Each year, there's a new rumour that we're making Shenmue III , and, even though 14 years have passed, the fans keep on waiting. I sincerely appreciate it, and, if the correct circumstances arise, I would be willing.

R3: Well, when people start handling out awards recognizing your career, one might think it would be coming to an end, but that doesn't seem to be Suzuki-san's case. Do you have any projects around the corner?

YS : I like drawing a lot, and, of course, I have a passion for video games, but what I like doing the most is creating things. Right now, I have a couple of projects going on for mobile phones, consoles and even thematic parks. Counting on important partners, surely interesting things will happen.

R3: Here in the auditorium there are a lot of young developers, full of enthusiasm, who have their own projects. Naturally, with an important figure such as yourself present, I would like to ask you what word of advice would you give to a young video-game developer?

YS : Well, nowadays we are able to rely on technology and programming languages such as Unity, which have made things easier for everyone, since you no longer have the need to count on a big studio to realize your ideas while leading you the way. The one advice I have for you is, do not try emulate what others have made; hence, I invite you to develop your own projects with their own personality.
by Nahovil
Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And now for something completely different

phpBB [video]
by Nahovil
Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gta5 being removed from australian stores for making ent

I agree with everything that's been said here. Still wouldn't let a child of mine play it.
by Nahovil
Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue sketches

Rakim, here you go. It's hasty, but the point is sketching in quantity.

by Nahovil
Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Photography Thread

This is quite different, but here you go

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/167/e/4/e4dbb3015fd30ff5c0e5b0a2ade436e5.jpg

More:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/310/6/6/6616f3e63216b75dc83a5af1d0ed1777-dzkk92.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/315/2/a/2a092c82915c562e7256e54ffefca8a0-d2ronl1.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/241/f/e/nameless_waltz_by_ipratropium-d7x6xof.png
by Nahovil
Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Axm and Yama, I enjoyed those nature photos, particularly these:

Axm

Yama
by Nahovil
Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/103/2/8/286362554e70a324e4b10249dba0dcea-d203v9v.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/175/4/4/441e1a887c561316d097ff40c6ba2745-d2igszk.jpg

More
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/132/8/4/8499dc1421dd6b26d3f66eb79c0292c1-d4zidy9.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/108/f/c/fc210fd1f17664a8f8b55f8a5dc8bb74-d4wn19e.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/096/b/7/b71a02748949383f389b2097a705e459-d4v6x55.jpg

by Nahovil
Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kowloon Room Raid Video Project

Having these is really nice. Thank you for your efforts.
by Nahovil
Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

As OL pointed out, it's not about misogyny. It's about androcentrism.
Having said that, games are as much androcentric as society itself.
by Nahovil
Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Awesome skillz;

phpBB [video]

It's incredible by itself but, with both hands?
by Nahovil
Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

There shouldn't be a Shenmue III.

I win.
by Nahovil
Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And now for something completely different

phpBB [video]
by Nahovil
Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone else prefer the English dub?

It seems to be that a lot of people that prefer the Japanese dub don't even speak Japanese. If so, how can you have an educated opinion on that? Not saying anything about Chaikilla's Japanese skills or lack thereof, but that seems to be the case with a lot of people.

It isn't a dub, it's the original track. Speaking Japanese has anything to do with it - the work's identity, singularity and cultural connection suffers from being stripped of the original expressions and mannerisms (which people are keen on hearing regardless of their mastery of the language), much like any dubbed French, Italian, Russian, Japanese or Korean films would.

Voilà!
Ecco!
Ni Pukha, Ni Pyera!
Wakarimashita.
Ah... Shibaloma.

What blandness, having these replaced with "Here you go" or "Got it".
by Nahovil
Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How Do You Feel About Shenmue III Becoming More Spiritua

[color=yellow]Shenmue is inherently spiritual anyway, I think it's the mysticism that's throwin everyone off.

I wouldn't agree that it is inherently spiritual, since we're are far from sure whether the story and setting (i.e Lan Di's reason for collecting the mirror) originally stems from such concept. Also, I should say, growing from boy to man isn't a spiritual transformation, as it's been said. Personally, regardless of the so-called prophecy in the epilogue, spirituality seems far from taking any kind of major place in the series, prevailing, instead, the mundane and everyday's relationship with it. On the deeper level, philosophy, especially through Ethics, is fundamental to this story of perseverance, accountability and emotion - natural, human endeavours.
by Nahovil
Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dojo - Can we apply a kickstarter-themed header?

Perhaps we ought to have some sort of reference in both main site and board index. I would suggest adding to the headers some reference of the deadline and stressing the 10mil urgency, with a hyperlink to the kickstarter page , beneath or even replacing the home hyperlink. Credit to ash55 for the Shenmue III png file.

Maybe something resembling this

http://i.imgur.com/2YuV5dJ.png

Is it worth it? What should be taken off or added in?
by Nahovil
Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]

Courtesy of mue 26
by Nahovil
Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About the buildings in Baisha village

Olha, um português. Excelente tópico, Rei, obrigado.

Having this setting conceived by Yu Suzuki for a Shenmue game gets me more excited than it ought to.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Earth_building-chengqi2.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/Jiqinglou.JPG/800px-Jiqinglou.JPG
by Nahovil
Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo - Can we apply a kickstarter-themed header

Here. These serve as a suggestion. George (Yama) would do a better job.

by Nahovil
Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic