Search found 30 matches

Return

Hello there, after all these years...

(I have been browsing and searching for something like a "New Member" board, but since I couldn't find any I figured this the best place to introduce myself.)

Hi and hello, dear Shenmue Dojo!

I am CodingGenesis, I am 26 years old and I live in Vienna. I've been following this community since 2002 and it quickly became my most important Shenmue resource. I always appreciated the efforts of this community and the fact that it still exists and that there are still so many members keeping it alive is just great.

I have always read the topics of this board and the main site's news with quite a share of mixed feelings over the years. On the one hand this board shows how many Shenmue fans there are and how much they love it, on the other hand it is kinda like a mirror of all the hope, disappointment, anger and dreams we all share.

I was 14 years old when I played Shenmue for the first time. To think that today I am 26, still playing Shenmue and still wanting the story to come to an end feels a bit strange. Sometimes I feel like that teenager again who was so engrossed in those games, playing them again and again, each time discovering something new. Today it feels like an old memory, even if I just finished Shenmue II again, it instantly feels like an old memory and I can't deny that sometimes I feel a little sad, too.

I am a student at the University of Vienna, studying Japanology / Japan Studies and Sinology / China Studies. I am hugely interested in languages and in translating texts. Some of my hobbies include programming, books, music and video games.

So, why have I registered now of all times and after all these years? Well, the truth is, I can't really explain it myself. I just kinda have the feeling that now I should do it. That from now on it is a good time to be able to take part in discussions.

Well, that's it for the time being. If you have questions feel free to ask. I feel happy to finally be an "official" member of this community! :D
by CodingGenesis
Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

I currently play Shenmue II, actually. I'm at the point where I have to find the Wulinshu.

(Just a personal note: Today, twelve years after I first played this game and so needed the English subtitles because I didn't understand the slightest bit of Japanese, it's a total different and really great feeling to understand what people talk about. Shenmue is a huge force which has driven me to start learning Japanese and to keep it up, so this is something I really owe to Shenmue. Thank you so much, Yu Suzuki.)
by CodingGenesis
Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Maybe it's a generational thing, but I'm worred about ga

I quickly learned to trust my own preferences instead of some random number in a gaming magazine. That's the best thing everyone can do, since there are as many gaming preferences as there are gamers in the world. It's highly subjective what a good or a bad game is. Always hated it in school, for instance, when I told folks like "Hey, I got this game XYZ and just love it." and they would go like hating and flaming. Instead of just saying "Okay, this is not my kind of game, but good it works out for you." they were just flaming that it would be such a bad game, as if it were a matter of fact.
by CodingGenesis
Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

Well, I don't want to exalt things, don't get me wrong, but this image just killed me when I saw it. I was literally unable to stop laughing.

by CodingGenesis
Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

True words. Signed.

(Terminator 2 is an all-time favorite of mine.)
by CodingGenesis
Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Welcome to the Dojo, LeeringShrimp! :D
by CodingGenesis
Sat May 31, 2014 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's Shenmue translation project

After I am finally back to the Dojo, I found this amazing thread. Great thing to do! Thought about it many times, happy to see it happening.

Note: Should you guys still be short on translators, I'd be more than happy to help.
by CodingGenesis
Fri May 30, 2014 7:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

I just happened to stumble over Collateral last week and kept watching it (for the first time). It's a great movie. Sure, it's not one of the best ever made (although that's highly subjective), but it's really a nice movie to watch. Would watch again.
by CodingGenesis
Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

Riku Rose wrote: Mario Kart 8 and playing it like a champ.

Naked and with beer?
by CodingGenesis
Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

I couldn't have found better words to describe my experience with Asura's Wrath than yours, man. You absolutely hit the nail. I just love this game. Sure, it has its weaknesses and it may not be the ultimate killer title, BUT it surely scores in respects such as story, messages and cinematics. I don't want to cover all this in a huge post, you just did. Just a few words, nice and short.

To me, the story is really great with interesting twists and turns, unexpected even. As you just said, the final four chapters of the main story are one hell of a story-cinematic-epic battle-explosion! The meaning of true friendship, of fighting for someone you love, of never giving up no matter the obstacles - just like you said,
he really beat the fuck out of GOD - it's amazing and inspiring. I love all the dialog as well, both, the actual dialog (the wording) and the voice acting. Given that
I am kind of one of the biggest Street Fighter fans on this planet I enjoyed the main game and the DLC episodes so much more. I even bothered to beat this game 100%, that's what great of an impact it had on me. To be honest, to me it even increases the value of the game/story not knowing where everything started. I mean you get a glimpse of where it all came from, but that the big picture is left to your imagination feels satisfying, in a weird way. Asura's Wrath is just not a normal game - this is a special game, made for badass motherfuckers to beat crap up like a god.
Thanks for your words, OL.
by CodingGenesis
Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated March 29)

Having trouble settling on a subject for my next one. Granted, I haven't actually been devoting all that much time to gaming in the past few weeks anyway, but I'm still trying to plan. Kind of torn between a lot of things.
-A series overview of a giant robot series
-A spotlight on a separate giant robot game
-A tribute to a certain development studio
-A list of some of the best heavy metal soundtracks in gaming
I would like one of those. I know it takes time to do something like this. But it would be nice to see one or more of them in the future. :D
by CodingGenesis
Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Always do your homework. ;-)

Over the years I have learned to take any news regarding a Shenmue release / Shenmue confirmation / you name it with a huge portion of skepticism. If Shenmue will be released, Sega will tell us when the time comes. What can we do? Wait until that day, not jump to conclusions and not get too hyped about anything which is not as certain as life and death itself.
by CodingGenesis
Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow, that looks nice. Wish they would actually do that around my place. :mrgreen:

elfshadowreaper wrote:But we all agree after the 2032 E3 shenmue will just be too old for a sequel and it's time to move on, right?

You know, hope dies last and we won't give up and keep fighting and believing. ;-)
by CodingGenesis
Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official E3 2014 Topic

I would actually love to see Beyond Good & Evil 2.
by CodingGenesis
Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea
A new game which has yet to know its potential
This potential is a power that could either destroy it or realize its will
Its courage shall determine its fate
The path it must traverse, fraught with adversity, we await whilst playing
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light
And thus the saga... continues...
by CodingGenesis
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Hope you can walk again soon. Wish you all the best.
by CodingGenesis
Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Zelda Wii U Announced

Am I the only one to whom Link looks like a girl/woman? I'm sorry, but a cel-shading style Zelda doesn't do it for me.
by CodingGenesis
Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's a time traveler

Sonikku wrote: Why of course Ryo is a time traveler. How the heck do you think he got a Sega Saturn in 1986? :lol:

Uhm, well, yeah... good point.
by CodingGenesis
Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things you just noticed (recent playthroughs)

I think this is probably just an over observation on my end, so if this sounds stupid I apologize. But after Shenmue 1's opening scene I noticed something a bit peculiar. As most of us know, there is a letter in Iwao's room to Ryo. Ryo concludes that his father must have known Lan Di was coming for him. But in the opening cinematic when Lan Di brings up Sun Ming Zhao, Iwao is REALLY surprised when he realizes who Lan Di really is. I kind of just feel like Iwao was expecting someone else to come for the mirrors, but not Sun Ming Zhao's kid. A different member of the Chi You Men? (perhaps the old man?) No, I'm not trying to suggest a new theory or anything, just something I've personally noticed over the last few months or so. Thoughts guys?
Indeed. Now that you mention it, it does seem a bit odd. Sure, the letter sounds like Iwao knew someone would come for him, but the surprise that it is Lan Di and who he is, puts this into a new perspective, at least for me.
by CodingGenesis
Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Cinematic Wallpaper Packs and More

Wow, man, I think this picture is epic. Well done, nice work. Thanks for your effort and your display.
by CodingGenesis
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter Ends At $6,333,295; 69,320 Backe

Thank you, guys! Thank you, beloved Shenmue community! We did it! We really did it! No words describe my feelings right now. Thank you, Yu Suzuki, for giving us this amazing opportunity to step up for our most special masterpiece.

I guess I will write more later, when I start to realize what just happened over the course of the past month. As for me, I pledged right on day one, and joined in as many community Kickstarter events as possible (e.g. 30onthe3rd). In the final four minutes, I upped my pledge by another 15$ to reach a nice number. Shenmue is amazing. Yu Suzuki is amazing. We are amazing. Fuck it, we almost made another million today, for crying out loud. This is just the best day ever. (That is, until Shenmue 3 hits the shelf, of course.)

Everybody who supported the Kickstarter, thank you.
Everybody who supported the fans, the community, the effort and Yu, thank you.
Everybody working behind the scenes, thank you.
Everybody at Ys Net, thank you.

Today is our day, let's rock hard and party loud!
by CodingGenesis
Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter Ends At $6,333,295; 69,320 Backe

I am so happy to be part of such a great, wonderful community. Thank you guys, for everything. *sheds some tears and hugs everybody*
by CodingGenesis
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your chosen rewards poll

Dreams Come True
by CodingGenesis
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When Sega inevitably announces the HD remasters...

I won't join the discussion whether Sega will do HD remakes / ports or not, because speculation serves no purpose and besides, time will tell.

The only thing I do say, though, is this. Now this is just a wish which would make the teenager, adult and Shenmue die-hard fan inside me totally freak out in ecstasy. If Sega should create modern incarnations of Shenmue 1 and 2, no matter how, I'd love to see taking over my savegame from Shenmue 1 to Shenmue 2 and from Shenmue 2 to Shenmue 3.
by CodingGenesis
Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The miracle of Shenmue III

A big applause to us, the community. Here's to us and Shenmue! :beerchug:
by CodingGenesis
Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think so, too. I, as a programmer, can say that making savegames compatible is quite easy. All they had to do is to define a data interface and savefile layout. That's about it. (Of course this is the easy, one-sentence answer, but it really isn't that big a deal.)
by CodingGenesis
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Guys, girls, nerds, gamers, Shenmuers, friends, let's have fun and talk HD remakes here. :D *hugs everybody*
by CodingGenesis
Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What sort of ending will Shenmue III have?

As for me, I don't care how Shenmue 3 will end, let alone it's not even completed yet. Hell, I am hyped big times that Shenmue 3 is coming! How will Shenmue 3 end? I DON'T CARE, BECAUSE WE GET TO PLAY AN AWESOME GAME FIRST! :mrgreen:
by CodingGenesis
Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic