Search found 758 matches

Return

SHENMUE CHRONICLES CHAPTER 1 (RYO'S STORY)

Yooooooo Dojo.

The Shenmue holiday special is finally in a decent state for others to play. This Demo was supposed to be released on Christmas day....however there were some serious game breaking bugs that took a while to fix. (better late than never)

READ THIS THREAD CAREFULLY TO AVOID RUNNING INTO PROBLEMS..... AND TO HAVE THE GAME RUN SMOOTHLY.

Origins Of The Game

For the past couple of weeks, I have been investigating a visual novel application known as ren'py. I have a keen interest in this engine, as I would like to one day import my own artwork into its system and create an independent title. However, since most of my drawings are not on my computer, I thought i'd use Shenmue images in it's replacement whilst i learn the language.

This game is very simple and not very deep, as it was something I just threw together whilst learning ren'py. Throughout the game, you will see a lot of unusual events that may NOT seem very "Shenmuish". Again, this is because I was trying different aspects out within the ren'py engine. Dont expect nothing groundbreaking

SHENMUE CHRONICLES CHAPTER 1 (RYO'S STORY) Beta V1.01

http://i41.tinypic.com/r0bguq.jpg

PLOT

After dealing with the Mad Angels, Ryo prepares himself for his long awaited trip to Hong Kong. The following day, he learns that Nozomi has been kidnapped again! Ryo teams up with 4 of his friends in order to rescue her. Can he find Nozomi before he has to leave the country?

This will be a 30 - 45 minute game featuring some of our favorite Shenmue characters. The story will take place after the 70 man battle, and be an alternative take on how Shenmue 1 ended.

http://i43.tinypic.com/9ft9g0.jpg

FAQS

What Are The Controls?

The game is played with the mouse.
1) Left click = continues to the next section
2) right click = access menu (save , load, options, full-screen/window etc)

How Do I Play This Game

Read the dialog on the screen. Whenever you see the blinking arrow, left click to continue. At some points you will be asked to make choices. Choose carefully :)

How Many Endings Does This Game Have?

The game has 2 endings......one good, and one bad. It will be interesting to see which one you guys get lol.

This Game Contains To Much Text And Is Boring

That's visual games for you. You either love them or hate them. I recommend taking your time with the game. Read carefully and slowly.....and don't rush through it.

Spelling And Grammar Mistakes.

Yep, I'm aware of most of the mistakes. But this is a Beta/Demo, so it does have its fair share of issues. This will be fixed in the final version. Unfortunately, I don't have the time at the moment to proof read everything.

Some Images Are Medium To Low Quality?

Most of the game has fairly decent images. However, in some instances, there are medium to low quality pictures. This is mainly seen with Nagashima and Eri. This will be fixed in the final version.

My Screen Resolution Doesn't Support This Game?

This game was created in a 800 x 600 format. If you encounter black borders on either side of the screen, adjust your screen resolution on the desktop (right click on desktop and press on properties or screen resolution).

Can I Play This In Fullscreen?

You can, but you will more than likely notice the low quality images and bad sprite rips. I recommend playing in window mode if you're a graphics or perfectionist whore. :) To run in fullscreen mode, right click to access the options menu, click on preferences, and click full screen. (You must have a fairly decent direct x driver installed, otherwise the game will crash when going fullscreen)

The Game's Font Doesn't Work On My Computer

This game uses the "Arlrdbd" font. Download it here and follow the instructions on the site to install the font.
http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arlrdbd.html

I've Encountered An Error

Refer to the FAQs or send me a PM.

You've Included My Work And Given Me A Shoutout

There are various shout-outs and nods to some dojo members and youtubers in the game........mainly when Ryo goes to sleep. I did this out of respect, as i wanted this to be a community project for everyone on the dojo. If you have a problem with the inclusion of your work, let me no and I'll get rid of it.

Thanks For The Shoutout

No problem. Keep up the awesome work.

Why Didn't I Have A Shoutout?

Everyone on the dojo will get a shoutout in the final game.

Thanks For Making This

No problem. This is my Christmas present to the Shenmue Community

Where Are The Fight Scenes?

There are no fight scenes in the demo. Wait for the fullgame.

This Game Sucks, You Suck

Love you to. Remember, this is something I just threw together. It's not suppose to be taken seriously. Hopefully next year, we can all work on a game together to make it extra awesome.

Distribution

Please do not share the links or reupload them. Link people to this thread. This is a Beta test for hardcore shenmue fans to try out, enjoy, and give feedback in order to make the final product amazing. Please respect these terms.

What Do You Still Need To Work On?

Ha, tons of stuff. sprites, scripts, grammar checks, importing a Shenmue user interface, audio, fight scenes, extra characters, animation, intro, ending etc. This is nowhere near finished.

When's The Final Version?

For those who actually enjoyed the game, the final version will be much MUCH bigger. (New areas, characters, sequences, fight scenes, voice clips, choices, UI etc) The game will go past Shenmue 1.... and on to a certain ship :)
Final version coming 2014.

Have You Got Any Other Projects Like This?

I have many different Shenmue Demo's, but this was the only one that was in a half decent state

How Can I Say Thank You And Support Shenmue

1)Give this thread a thumbs up and thank you
2)Buy the Ryo Hazuki first four figure statue
3)Buy Ryo DLC in sonic racing transformed
4)Buy Shenmue clothing from insertcoin
5)join TeamYu.net to save Shenmue
6)Sign up to the ShenmueDojo, ShenmueMaster Website.
7)Subscribe to ziming and AdamKoralik's youtube channels.

How to install The Game

1) First install the Arlrdbd font. Download here http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arlrdbd.html

Unzip font

Windows XP Font Install:
Drag arlrdbd.ttf into C:\Windows\Fonts - The font will automatically install.

- Windows 7/Vista Font Install:
Right click arlrdbd.ttf and then click "Install".

2)Download the base file here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pwoaa5vxsnw28wa/Project+Shen+Base+File.zip

3)Download the sound/image file here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a5gck80wtvgd7yz/Project+Shen+Sound+and+Pics.zip

4)Extract base file (winrar, winzip)

5)Extract sound/image file (winrar , winzip)

6)The extracted sound and image file should be called "archive.rpa". copy this to the game directory of the basefile.
(Project Xmas 2013 Special Demo-all/game/PLACE ARCHIVE FILE HERE)

7)Double click the Project Xmas 2013 Special Demo application icon in the main directory.

Enjoy.

@ShenmueTree, I can't wait to try out Project Sekai. It's where my original inspiration came from. :king:

I hope all you guys have an awesome XMAS holiday, and a fantastic new year. Hopefully we get more Shenmue news in 2014. :)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ic88sj.jpg

Giorgio Let's play of the game

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55PlS7bJVQM

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrnjbBM2G-M

Enjoy
by ShenSun
Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's Shenmue translation project

I think it's time for a little appetizer, considering we're still having difficulties with hacking the menus and the UI (We're still looking for hackers/SH4 dissasemblers).

http://i.imgur.com/SqpynH8s.jpg http://i.imgur.com/RirMyrQs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/n5znI7Ns.jpg http://i.imgur.com/B8K2gQds.jpg http://i.imgur.com/xSqaXePs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/GQkAYnxs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Kw336SFs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/eS4K8O2s.jpg http://i.imgur.com/eL1ihY6s.jpg http://i.imgur.com/33UJaCXs.jpg
by IlDucci
Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's Shenmue translation project V1.0 RELEASED!

Great job guys!

I just wanna give full credit on the English translation to Brett "Switch" Chandler. He's the man. My work was minimal.
by Rakim
Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What's Shenmue translation project COMPLETE

Well, gentlemen, after nearly half a year of work, we can release the first version of our What's Shenmue translation patch.

Download link (v1.0.1)

And here's some nifty extras: Covers and manuals

And here's the men and women who have achieved the completion of this project:
ALL VERSIONS
Hacking/Coding: YZB, PacoChan, Indiket, IlDucci
Graphics Editing: BlueMue, IlDucci, Gin
Creation of the ShenTrad Toolset: SiZious, Ayla, Manic, ShenDream

ENGLISH VERSION
Translation: Brett "Switch" Chandler, Rakim
Proofreading: Merlin Fontana

SPANISH VERSION
Translation (Based on English Version): IlDucci, TheFireRed
Testing: Indiket, Releon
Contains material from the Shenmue I Spanish Fantranslation Project by Ryo Suzuki, IlDucci, el_capo, xulikotony & PacoChan.

GERMAN VERSION
(Based on English Version)
Main translator: BlueMue

See the readme file for the full credit list, including Special Thanks and other information.

We are doing the release as a patcher and not as a full image because of, more than legal issues, my personal policy as a romhacker/fantranslator. I'd like to keep things small and manageable. People who have the original GD-ROM and the SD Card Adapter should have no problems dumping their disc into a GDI image (.BIN or .ISO makes no difference), but I know this site doesn't go against releases, so: I know it's a bit hard finding a GDI image online, but it's possible. If you folks are going to do a full release, I know I can't stop you so I'd just ask you to do not make profit out of us.

That said, let's go to the details: The patcher has been tested with the following discs:
- 610-7179-0133A 11M1 o 11MB1 (TOSEC Version)
- 610-7179-0133A H1723E.

Both of those are the Blue Disc versions, any other Blue Disc or the Famitsu releases have not been tested . Should be fine if the data tracks are identical (We're fiddling with the audio tracks, but we're not needing an exact equivalent of them, which seems to be the biggest difference between versions).

And now the specifics. All the menus, texts and subtitles have been fully translated into English, Spanish and German. The patcher is multi-language, so you should be able to select your language there. The process lasts around 10 minutes or so. The patcher could be a great example that, with a little modification, we could have a Shenmue modding tool for small mods (Such as the Forklift one, bigger stuff like Undubs won't have that of a meaning).

The patcher takes a GDI image and turns it into a MDS/MDF image file that should run on a real hardware or in emulator. It has a dummy file for 700MB full size, all the CDDA tracks have been preserved thanks to the previous research by HyKan, and we've got a sortfile for reordering stuff (We've moved towards the inner part beta/unused stuff that's around). It's not the best optimization but it can be improved. Nothing is ripped or downsampled.

We've translated a couple of extra needed graphics here and there, such as the "Closed" signs in the shops that are not available for the demo (like Tomato Convenience Store), Yukawa's Business Card or the poster from the ending scene. There's a couple of things I'd like to improve in a possible future release, but for now, we've done all we could. The rest is like it was in the original game.

Some troubleshooting: We've used Demul 0.5.8.2. for the emulation testing, and so far the only major issue it has is that some graphics show borders instead of being transparent. That doesn't happen in real console. In real console we've seen some delays with the activation of lipsynch or subtitles, which I don't know if it's our fault or if it already happened in the unmodified game.

If the patcher dumps some error, please report it back here, on this topic. The patcher will usually allow you to copy the error to the Clipboard, and also generate a log.txt file in the same folder where the application is. Upload both and send them here.

And... I'm tired as hell, we've been working on the last issues until the last minute. If I'm missing stuff, it's either on the readme or you can ask me here, as I'll be doing the English troubleshooting on this topic. Enjoy.
by IlDucci
Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's Shenmue translation project V1.0.1 RELEASED!

Hey guys, long time no see.

Recently our pals at Dreamcast.es created a small web magazine, Dreamcast.es Official Magazine , with a layout almost lifted (I haven't seen the real deal so I don't know how much) from Spain's Dreamcast Official Magazine. The fun part is that the front page and two articles are about our What's Shenmue translation (Although it's heavily focused on the Spanish translation).

Talking with Switch, we've decided to translate the WS-related articles. I did the first draft, Switch did most of the proofread/polishing.

PAGE 6
What’s Shenmue
~Translated to Spanish~

But... What is “What’s Shenmue”? (pardon the pun)

"It's a short half-hour demo, and it doesn't hold any secrets needed to play the two Shenmues, but, as I said, I wanted to go full circle with the franchise".
IlDucci

Shenmue wasn't released in Japan on the scheduled release date (July 1999), so SEGA decided to give a free heads-up from the game to everyone who had preordered it to make up for the delay on the release date.

This preview gift was named "What's Shenmue?" and was a sort of demo for what the buyers would encounter once they put Shenmue in their consoles. In this case, we're provided with an exclusive mission not included in the final game.

"What's Shenmue", or by its full name, "What's Shenmue? Find Director Yukawa" is a demo disc entirely in Japanese. Although it could be played intuitively until now, those who didn't know Japanese were not able to enjoy it completely. This changed recently because a non-official translation (fan-translation) of the disc dialogues was made for free by the following:

GLOBAL CREDITS
Programming/Rom-hacking: YZB, PacoChan, Indiket, IlDucci
Graphics Editing: BlueMue, IlDucci, Gin
ShenTrad group tools: Ayla, Manic, SiZious, ShenDream
SPANISH TRANSLATION
(Based on the English translation)
Translators: IlDucci, TheFireRed
Testers: Releon, Indiket
Contains material from Shenmue I's Spanish fan-translation made by Ryo Suzuki, IlDucci, el_capo, xulikotony & PacoChan.
SPECIAL THANKS
To FamilyGuy and HyKan for the CDDA track information. To kRYPT, fackue, James Reiner, Master Kyodai, xhizors92 and Gin for their knowledge and to Fenix, Ryo Suzuki & Rock_Lee-Vk for their support.
ENGLISH TRANSLATION
Translator: Brett “Switch” Chandler, Rakim
Proofreader: Merlin Fontana
GERMAN TRANSLATION
(Based on the English translation)
By BlueMue

PAGE 7
How to apply the patch
In order to change the demo into Spanish you'll have to download the patch that can be found at http://www.dreamcast.es and apply it to a GDI image of the original What's Shenmue disc. This will generate a MDS/MDF file that can be used in emulators, or you can burn it onto a CD in order to play it in a console.

To get the What's Shenmue GDI, you can either rip the original disc with a BBA or a SD card adapter, or download a GDI image from the Internet.

To date, the patch has only been tested with discs that contain the following codes in the inner ring of the non-printed GD-ROM side:

- 610-7179-0133A 11M1 or 11MB1 (TOSEC version)
- 610-7179-0133A H1723E

There might be more versions of the What's Shenmue disc, but IlDucci says that the patch should be compatible with every one of those.

Remember that in order to see the subtitles, we must go to Options and set Game Mode in Voices&Text (changing it from Auto to Yes) and leave Kids Mode in “Adults”.

By Blai

PAGE 20

Previews

What's Shenmue

We take the opportunity with the recent release of the Spanish translation of this Japanese demo to tell you its ins and outs.

Never before had rivers of ink been written about a Dreamcast demo, but What's Shenmue (WS from now on) was able to achieve this. Now... what exactly is What's Shenmue?

WS is a small promotional demo that SEGA gifted to those who pre-ordered Shenmue in 1999 due to the delays with its release, as a compensation for the wait. The question is, if Shenmue had been released on the expected date, would we be able to enjoy this little demo and its small exclusives? We'll never know the answer, but, you know what? I'm happy the game got delayed. That helped us enjoy an exclusive mission. Every cloud has a silver lining :)

IT WAS ONLY POSSIBLE to play What's Shenmue in Japanese because this disc was only released in Japan. That was until... now, thanks to the work of the great translator, IlDucci (and company) we've mentioned a few pages before. From now on we can fully understand each and every one of the disc's dialogues and fully enjoy this adventure.

OUR GOAL in WS is to find Sega’s president (Mr. Yukawa) within Dobuita. In order to do so, we must explore the area. We must question the inhabitants, enter shops, etc. It's a nice way to get used to Shenmue's environment.

PAGE 21

Although it is only one region (if we try to leave it, we'll get kicked back the way we came) it gives a good idea of the open world concept that Shenmue introduced.

Inside Dobuita we can carry out various actions.

WE CAN PLAY at the arcade: shooting darts, playing the slot machine...

We can also buy a Coca-Cola can on a vending machine (remember that the European version of Shenmue removed this brand from the packaging of the cans).

WE CAN BATTLE against some thugs in a QTE event... and that's as far as I can go :)

Everything gives an interesting idea of the variety of events Shenmue can offer to the player, and everything is determined by the day and hour (depending on the current hour, certain events will happen. An example is the closing hour of the shops). Remember that this is one of the strong points of Shenmue, the changes on the in-game events depending on the hour.

THE DEMO LASTS about half an hour and ends with locating Yukawa and a final QTE (don't worry, I won't spoil the ending, heh, heh). It's a bit short, but better short than nothing.

For those who are more detail-oriented, we'll say that there's stuff happening in the demo but not on the final game. We're talking about exclusive events that make this demo attractive for every die-hard Shenmue fan. The most remarkable of these events is that Ryo has the ability to crouch(!)

Ah, I'll mention that it is possible to lose in this demo, due to not finding Yukawa, losing the ending QTE or losing the battle against the local thugs. It's just another curiosity.

WS also contains four of the movies that, later on, would be in Shenmue's Passport disc, explaining game concepts. Those movies are a technical marvel, showcasing the characters in textures that are really high resolution for the time they were made.

I can't end this review without praising again the great job made by IlDucci with the translation. Thanks to him, we can play with the dialogues fully translated into English or Spanish, whichever you want. What's more, he has also created some custom covers that you can print!!

Now there's no excuse not to try this wonderful demo. It's a real delicacy for the most demanding palates. Enjoy!! :)

By Indiket

Famitsu Edition

There exists an alternative version of What's Shenmue named 'Famitsu Edition' that came free with the Famitsu magazine, with the only difference being an orange-colored cover. Of course, get some heavy cash ready if you want it in your collection.
by IlDucci
Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue - 'Suka High (fan film)

Hi again everyone,

Shenmue: 'Suka High is now online!

phpBB [video]

Thanks again for your support.

Shenmue forever, ya'll.
by Your Boy Leroy
Wed May 27, 2015 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki Famitsu Article - Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Dojo members Axm and Switch have recently translated the Shenmue 3 Famitsu article featuring Yu Suzuki.

Links: Famitsu Article | Shenmue 3 Kickstarter | Kickstarter Videos | News Archive
by Ziming
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Famitsu Translation & Scans

http://www.mediafire.com/view/6siygr66m2te2qr/i-wf0702_004.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/bp8911gv5b7y5a3/i-wf0702_005.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/zhehbcn73zhkp9a/i-wf0702_006.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/bf1trmgz7tejf1m/i-wf0702_007.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/6md3ql10x1ppiw6/i-wf0702_008.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/6iot4869ui62rdr/i-wf0702_009.jpg#

thanks to kurushii for the scans.

Famitsu Translation by Axm and Switch

Feature Story
- Ryo Hazuki is coming back -

Shenmue III has set off
The fundraising campaign has started on Kickstarter

E3 2015 is being held in Los Angeles from June 17th till 19th (Japan time). Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) press conference was held in June 16th, a day before E3 starts, and a game creator Yu Suzuki announced the new “Shenmue 3.” He also revealed his campaign using the crowd-funding site “Kickstarter” to raise funds for this game.
It’s been 14 years since the release of Shenmue 2. What will this eagerly-awaited Shenmue 3 be like? Why did he chose Kickstarter?--- I have asked the executive produce Mr.Suzuki. (Interviewer: Famitsu chief editor Katsuhiko Hayashi)

Finally setting off the official sequel “Shenmue 3”

---The impact of the name of “Shenmue 3” is so great and it surprised me when I first heard it. Well, it’s been 14 years since Shenmue 2 was released. Why make Shenmue 3 now? Would you give us the accounts on how it started?
Suzuki: I have been always looking for the way to launch Shenmue 3, so it is not like we just started this project. Although it’s been more than a decade since Shenmue 2, there are many enthusiastic fans still existing and when I attend autograph sessions abroad, they always come ask me “When is Shenmue 3 coming?” For example in France, 80% of people who come to my autograph sessions are the Shenmue fans. The rest of 10% are Virtua Fighter fans and the other 10% are Hang-on fans or so. There are fans who still manage fan communities. Every year around March and April, the rumor “They say that they are making Shenmue 3” comes out and it reaches me.. haha.

---The eagerly waiting voices turn to rumors.
Suzuki: Yes that’s right. But slowly the fan’s voices have changed to something wistful. They say “It can be just a novel, so please give us the sequel story at least” or “Just manga is fine. We want to see a new “Shenmue”.” Those voices made me think that I should push the project forward somehow for the fans, no matter if I couldn’t make a full-spec game.

--- And for the means to make it happen, you chose Kickstarter. Why?
Suzuki: About three years ago, one of the fans who has experience using Kickstarter suggested me using it for the Shenmue project. That is when I first learned about Kickstarter, and started researching it. If it comes to really making the game, I have to make sure it satisfies my fans. So I couldn’t go like “OK I’m doing this with Kickstarter!” I seeked other ways,--- for instance finding a partner, but I couldn’t find one that meets my requirements. After careful consideration, we decided that Kickstarter is the best way to set off, and we were able to announce it finally in 2015.

---So you were just saying that you wanted to make the sequel, but really you have been working on it already for a long time.
Suzuki: Yes. Strong feedback after the Shenmue lecture at GDC 2014 also pushed me into coming this far. Sega agreeably licenced it to me and SCE also supported us by saying “We will support you if you are making Shenmue.” I knew that announcing the Kickstarter project at SCE’s conference is a very remarkable thing and am so happy that many people still support Shenmue this much.

---The title “Shenmue 3” is very direct and has no twist.
Suzuki: I couldn’t think of any other name. Shenmue 1, 2 and 3. It is not a spin-off. It comes to PS4 and PC.

---Its an eagerly awaited official sequel and fans will be definitely delighted. What is the goal of the Kickstarter funding?
Suzuki: 2 million yen at the very beginning.

---It must be easy to raise 2 million if it is for Shenmue.
Suzuki: However, 2 million is the very least amount of money you need for a game to come to exist. If it’s just 2 million, it will be more likely a very story-driven based game. If we can raise more, it will be more realistic for me to be able to do what I want to do. I want to try something new.

--- Just like you.. Your stance of “making something new” has never changed.
Suzuki: Yes. I will do my best to make a new Shenmue.

--- We will talk about this “New Shenmue” later. What are the pledge rewards for donating to Kickstarter?
Suzuki: I would like to adopt everyone’s opinion into the game to the extent that I can. For example if there are two designs of one character, then I will ask everyone to vote for each of them. I will provide the participation privilege for that kind of voting. Also while Shenmue 3 is under development, I will prepare a trial-demo so they can take a sneak peak of it.

--- So you are creating Shenmue 3 with your fans?
Suzuki: I think every one of the people who invested in this project has a leading role in it and I hope each one of them enjoy it. Please visit Kickstarter’s Shenmue page to learn more about the pledge rewards.

F: Next, I would like to ask about the key content of Shenmue 3. What kind of story developments can be expected in Shenmue 3?
YS: At the end of Shenmue 2 Ryo visits Guilin, said to be the most beautiful region in China. The area is famous for landscape paintings, and it has a river called the Li river. Shen Hua’s house is located on a tributary of the river. The story of Shenmue 2 ends at the point where Ryo reaches Shen Hua’s house, and the story of Shemue 3 continues right from there.
F: So, Ryo and Shen Hua will make an appearance, continuing from the previous part.
YS: For people who have played the Shenmue series, those familiar characters will appear as they were.
F: Will the setting be Guilin?
YS: Yes. For example, visiting a town(s) in the Guilin area, or going back to the mountains. Also infiltrating the Guilin chapter of an underground organization, the Chi You Men.
F: It could be said that Shenmue is the originator of open world gameplay, and has influenced many games since, but for Shenmue 3 what direction do you plan to take the open world model?
YS: When I created Shenmue 1, I was aiming to create exactly what is now called an “open world”. Being able to stop freely at any location you wish, advancing if you wish to move the story forward, or just standing still if you prefer. Back then, we called the system “FREE”, but in time it came to be referred to as open world. In Shenmue 2, with advances and technology and techniques, the open world was expanded even further.
F: In Shenmue 2, it was possible to walk through many towns over a wide area of Hong Kong, wasn’t it.
YS: Actually, at that time, I had decided that for Shenmue 3 I would delve in more deeply.
F: More deeply?
YS: Yes. People might expect that the open world would be made even broader, but in contrast to that, I will focus on depth. For example, for the case of 100 characters, splitting the development budget among them would limit the elements that could be incorporated into each character.
F: That’s true, it would make it harder to create each with detail.
YS: However, if we reduce the number to 10 characters, a lot of possibilities are opened up. The amount of conversation could be increased 10 times, or detailed A.I. provided for each character. As a result, conversations could be much richer. As an example, in Shenmue 3 the person that Ryo will speak with most is Shen Hua, so I want to portray her with depth. I envisage an approach where, by settings parameters for Shen Hua, on-going conversations with her will influence events such as changing her attitude, or changing the way that quests relating to her unfold.
F: I see. I think a lot of support for Shenmue comes not from just the realistic towns, but from the realism of the people inhabiting it. From what you have described, this realism will be further increased, and the world will feel even more “human”.
YS: Yes. In Shenmue this time I will be focusing particularly on digging down further on such internal aspects.
F: This is your vision for the new Shenmue, isn’t it.
YS: Of course, that’s not to say it will not be open world. Stretch goals will allow the town(s) to be expanded. However, what I would like to try first is to develop something that everyone has not anticipated; a deep Shenmue world.

F: I can’t wait to see this new Shenmue. Speaking of Shenmue, apart from its open world, its QTEs and minigames made it special, didn’t they.
YS: QTEs were originally included so that even people who were poor at battles could enjoy them. I’m happy that various games have included QTEs since then.
F: QTEs also had their origin in Shenmue, didn’t they.
YS: This time, I would like to show new QTEs; ones which can played by anyone, and which have carefully-crafted event sequences. In addition, I’d like to change the nature of free battles. (I will think of a different name, as I don’t want to call them free battles). I’d like to make a battle that is won by making the correct decision, rather than by correct timing of pushing buttons.
F: I believe Shenmue was made with the concept of being a game that can be enjoyed by any player, and this new system feels to be in keeping with that.
YS: Also this time I am planning a “technique scrolls” system. Ah.... maybe I have said too much (laughs).
F: Not at all, we’d like to hear more! (laughs)
YS: For example, with the free battle it is tough to practice and input the various commands required, so simply by obtaining a technique scroll you can apply the technique to help you win a battle. In the case of a QTE, the new technique could be unleashed during the QTE. I would like to make it so that a technique can be used to your advantage in battle just by obtaining a technique scroll. Furthermore, I’d like to make that technique scroll connect with various elements within the game.
F: Could you explain a bit more with respect to “connecting with elements”?
YS: Shenmue has had a number of ways you could play around, such as mini-games and gambling spots, but I have always been thinking about how to connect these together in some way. Of course, they are connected in the sense that you can take a part-time job to earn money, then increase that amount by gambling, then buy weapons... but not that kind of connection, something much closer. If the stretch goals can be reached and more detailed elements incorporated into the open world, this will allow technique scrolls to serve as the pivot for connecting together the various side games. That’s the kind of direction I would like to take it.
F: I see. So various elements of the open world will be connected together in a more natural way. Apart from that, are there any other elements that you are keen to include in Shenmue 3?
YS: One particular part of Shenmue that fans seem to have fallen in love with is the forklift part-time job, which is extremely popular. So I really want to include it in Shenmue 3 too, but how can you operate a forklift deep in the mountains of Guilin (laughs). I haven’t stopped thinking about how to find some way to include a forklift (laughs).

F: Please tell us about the development set-up for Shenmue 3.
YS: This time, the main development company is Neilo. The representative for Neilo, Takeshi Hirai, worked as the chief programmer for Shenmue and has a good understanding of Shenmue.
F: Since Shenmue is an open world game, I had thought that working with an overseas development company that is experienced in open world games would have been an option.
YS: Yes, that may have been an option. However, the main distinguishing characteristic of Shenmue is its culture. I believe that users overseas also have taken interest in the culture and customs of Asia. People have said they appreciate it when Ryo says “Thank you” for the smallest thing, for example. Someone who has worked all along on creating Shenmue understands that kind of culture and values.
F: So this time, development will be using Unreal Engine 4, won’t it.
YS: I have been looking at various engines for Shenmue 3 for the past 3 years, but the colors of Unreal Engine 4 are closest to those I envisage for the world of Shenmue. Although that’s a pretty broad statement, given that it’s a technical topic. The feeling of slight dampness in the air, the skin colors, the feel of materials etc were closest to my ideal.
F: Apart from the Neilo staff, are there others participating who have worked with Shenmue before?
YS: Yes, of course. I wanted to build up the team with past members as I believe that gives the fans some reassurance. Among others are scenario writer Masahiro Yoshimoto, and Kenji Miyawaki who is in charge of the character designs.
F: Given that this project is coming to life 14 years after the previous release of Shenmue, everyone must be very surprised.
YS: Mr Yoshimoto has been active in the world of television, and reacted with surprise saying “With television, producing something new with a theme that is 14 years old is unheard of”. But Mr Yoshimoto told me that he made many discoveries through his experience with Shenmue. Later on, I plan to release a video with comments from Mr Yoshimoto and the rest of the staff, so please watch out for it.
F: We are looking forward to seeing it. The fans are sure to be happy.
YS: I have gathered together quite a few of the original key members who gave Shenmue that special feel. I’m sure this will bring a feeling of both reassurance and nostalgia.
F: By the way, it may be a bit impatient to ask, but do you already have in mind how things will progress after Shenmue 3?
YS: Of course, I have that in mind. But first and foremost, I’d like to put primary focus on Shenmue 3.
F: When is the planned release date for Shenmue 3?
YS: I’d like to release it by the end of 2017.
F: That’s quite some way off, but we can’t wait. From speaking with you today, I can really appreciate the challenges that you are taking on of producing a new Shenmue. Finally, do you have a message for all the fans who have waited all this time for Shenmue 3?
YS: The fans have told me over the course of 14 years how they wanted part 3 to be made, and I have always told myself that I had to find some way to make it. And now, through the crowd-funding of Kickstarter, at last I have been able to make a start on the Shenmue 3 project. In order to bring about a Shenmue 3 that incorporates a perfect blend of both a Shenmue that everyone desires, as well as a Shenmue with the new challenges I want to take on, everyone’s effort is needed. Thank you so much for your support.

Picture captions:
1) This image shows the figures of Ryo and Shen Hua walking on a mountain path. Note that Ryo has changed clothes from the leather jacket he wears in the first and second parts of the series.
2) Using a telescope, Ryo observes buildings below a cliff. According to Yu Suzuki, before Ryo lies the enemy’s camp, which Ryo is searching for a way to infiltrate.
3) Shen Hua and Ryo, drawn by Kenji Miyawaki who is in charge of character design for the series. Shen Hua, the main heroine, did not appear much in the first and second parts of the series. In Shenmue 3, she will surely take a principle role.
4) Niao Sun, one of the leaders of the underground organisation opposing Ryo, the Chi You Men. Although her existence has previously been revealed, she has not made an in-game appearance until now.
by shenhua legend
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Inside-Games.jp - Yu Suzuki interview x2 UPDATE: Translated!

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2015/06/20/88702.html

I'll try to translate it, but it might take a while...

Edit: Found another one on the same site from the 17th: http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2015/06/17/88607.html

Edit 2: Translation is complete. I'm neither native in english nor japanese, so it might sound strange in some places.

Again, this is the inside-games.jp article from 2015-06-20
- a follow up on the interview Switch translated.

------------------------------------------------

Yu Suzuki, the man who started the Shenmue III Kickstarter that set a new Guinness record for the fastest game reaching 1 million dollars. One night after the last time we spoke we ask again about the state of the project and about game creating.

-- Thanks for the other day. This time I would like to dig deeper.
YS: Please go ahead.

-- Can you tell us more about this "nostalgia" that you mentioned was like a theme or keyword for Shenmue 3.
YS: Wherever I go in the world I'm always asked "Where is Shenmue 3?" By mail or through other persons. That's when I felt it, that Shenmue has a lot of parts in it, the things that you feel about the game can differ very much from person to person. Like, one fan said he met a person called Nozomi in real life, you know, like the heroine of Shenmue I. He felt that it was some kind of fate and married her.

-- Wow. Really?
YS: Yeah. it's true. Other than that there were things that seemed obvious for japanese people, but were new for foreigners. For example in the first game Ryo walks around and asks for help from many different people, right? As he leaves he always says "Thank you". There are foreigners that were moved by that. When I heard that I thought "Well, don't you say thank you in your country?".

-- Maybe they don't say things that explicit in that culture?
YS: And in the game these "excuse me" and "thank you"s are repeated many many times. For people not experiencing that in their daily lives it might have been a bit of a shock for them. I took that to my heart.

-- I guess there aren't that many RPGs that end their conversations with "thank you".
YS: And in this society we live in now information is shared over the internet, but as you go further back through the years, and go further into the countryside, information exchange is slow and the culture and customs are more specific to that area. The beliefs and values of the people living there are [less complicated and] easier to understand. That is very interesting.

-- I see.
YS: So maybe the people anticipating part 3 are having fond memories and feel a bit nostalgic. I think people are probably feeling nostalgic about the Shenhua, Ryo and Shenmue from fifteen years ago. And I think that I shouldn't destroy that nostalgia with part 3. If I don't make that work with part 3 I don't think the game will live up to the expectations. That's why the keyword for part 3 is nostalgia.

-- Wasn't part 1 and 2 also make with nostalgia as a keyword?
YS: It's a different kind of nostalgia with part 3. In part 1 and 2 there is the nostalgia towards the era, in part 3 it's the nostalgia towards the game. For part 1 and 2 the target user was late teens to early twenties, so for these users I wanted them to experience the culture of the streets still having that showa-period feel of 1986, and be nostalgic about it. So in contrast to that, in part 3 I want the players to be nostalgic about part 1 and 2.

-- So looking at the years... part 1 and 2 came out in 2000 and 2001. Since part 1 in taking place in 1986 Yokosuka, the users playing the game at 20 years of age would have been six when the game took place.
YS: So it's not really nostalgia since it's a story from when they were just kids. Maybe making them feel "there was a world like this" together with the nostalgia.

-- Since then 15 years has passed and the users has become 35 and start feeling nostalgic about things. Now they are looking back and being nostalgic about having played part 1 and part 2.
YS: Yes. Now they are nostalgic about the experience with Shenmue.

-- So the games were released and as said before the users over the world described what moved them which you didn't think about when the games were made, right? As a game creator, did you continue to be surprised by all the reactions over these 15 years?
YS: Yes. They didn't come all at once. The comments continued coming from all over the world. Especially about cultural differences.

-- As with part 1 and 2, even if you think about what the users will enjoy in part 3, it might be different between japanese and foreign users.
YS: It's different. I can't remember making part 1 and 2 for foreigners.For example the themes of Outrun and other arcade games I made a long time ago were chosen in order to be popular all over the world. But for Shenmue 1 and 2 there were no thoughts about the target country.

-- You didn't make them for japanese users?
YS: I didn't really think about it. It was more about making a new game style, there is something interesting in just that. Making a new thing means a new kind of game which would make the world take notice of it. A new system. But I never thought everyone would react to the culture and customs like this.

-- You can say the new system was the skeleton and the culture and customs were the flesh and outward appearance, maybe?
YS: Maybe more like the system is the physical and culture and customs are the spiritual.

-- That would connect with the word "spiritual" that is often said about Shenmue. So for part 3 you can keep working on the aspects you didn’t think about that people actually really enjoyed about part 1 and 2.
YS: Yeah.

-- Neilo is developing part 3. The CEO Tak Hirai was the lead programmer of part 1 and 2 I've heard. Could you share the story of how you came to work on this project together again? Did you keep in touch during these 15 years?
YS: I've been in contact with Hirai and other members all the time since then. Drinking sometimes, talking about wanting to make Shenmue etc. "If it ever happens I'll count on you". We always said things like that.

-- Everyone was thinking about it.
YS: I'm a programmer from the beginning and Hirai too, so we have a kind of programming bond. In a game there are graphics, sound, program and other elements, but I want to focus on the programming.

-- I see.
YS: There are great games in the world today. Destiny, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed and more. The budget difference makes it very hard to challenge them in graphics and quality. For example Nintendo games are a bit less graphically advanced, but I don't care about that. They have great playability and I love them. So that's the approach. I'll probably challenge myself on the programming side. I think the programming makes games fun. So with that in mind the programming lead becomes an important partner.

-- Meaning Hirai-san.
YS: Yes. Back then Hirai was the programming lead and... Ah, I guess I can't call just call him Hirai anymore {as in dropping “-san”}. He was working under me back then... He was the one who started Neilo so f course he's great at programming. And this time, for the development of 3, we have gained access to the source code from part 1 and 2. He has written much of that code and might be able to reuse some of it. Back then there were probably nobody as great as him at programming. So in that sense being able to collaborate with him and his company is great.

-- It looks like there are other important creators participating.
YS: Yes. The screenwriter Yoshimoto-sensei is helping out. I'm very happy that many key members are participating.

-- How is the development looking now? I guess you have been talking with Neilo until now.
YS: It all depends on how the Kickstarter goes. If it fails, everything stops. Since it's not finished yet we can't do any real work. But we can do the work we can. We've been having a lot of meetings. For the Kickstarter we've been making promotional videos in Unreal Engine 4, but that was delegated to Neilo. However, I was of course directing it. We worked together like that. The budget will be decided in about a month I think so that's when we'll organize the project team. The plan is fluid but Neilo will be the center, and that won't change.

-- During the Sega era, how was Hirai-san?
YS: When we made Shenmue we were over 300 people at one time. We had managers for different sections, and he had about 100 people under him. So he was between me and where work was being done. He was very much trusted by his subordinates. I think that's the best compliment I can say about him. People who are trusted from above might just be appeasing their supervisors. But it takes someone special to be trusted by those working for him.

The rest of the questions are more about how and why he creates games. While interesting, it’s not that relevant in regards to the Shenmue III project.
by Capsule Toys Maniac
Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

4gamer interview - character perspective system [spoiler]

This is an interview with Yu Suzuki from the japanese site 4gamer.net published 2015-06-19.
Here translated by me.

Original article: http://www.4gamer.net/games/305/G030593/20150618126/

Among other things it brings up interesting new information about the 5 million dollar stretch goal; the character perspective system.

There is also a slight spoiler of a character that might appear, so those of you who want to play the game totally spoiler free should maybe avoid reading this.

here we go.

-- Thanks for being here.
YS: Thanks for having me. before jumping into questions I just want to make clear that Shenmue is a Kickstarter project and the scope and contents depend on the stretch goals.

-- Yeah, looking at the Kickstarter stretch goals there are the rapport system and skill tree and other added.
YS: We add more stretch goals so as more people pledge the scope of the game will get bigger. So as of now I can’t talk in detail about the mechanics of the game. What I’m able to accomplish will very much depend on the funds we can gather. I want to avoid telling too much and end up betraying those who have paid.

-- Under those circumstances, what do you want to do with Shenmue III?
YS: I want to show the relationship between Ryo and Shenhua in more detail. Even further than previous games.

-- It’s kind of hard to imagine how that would work.
YS: Maybe so. I want to to challenge myself, but new things are hard to get people to understand and therefore harder to gain support for. That’s one of the reasons we have prepared stretch goals like larger map and mini games.

-- So you made easy to understand stretch goals first.
YS: As more money comes in, the world of Shenmue III gets larger, and the game becomes more complete. But if it becomes a question of what game has the largest world, the game with the largest budget has a sure advantage. When it comes to Shenmue III, I want to ensure that there are other parts to enjoy besides just the open world aspects.

-- Can you give us any examples?
YS: At 3.2 million dollars there is the rapport system stretch goal. Actions and conversations will affect the relation between Ryo and Shenhua in subtle ways. The way Shenhua speaks and cooperate etc. will change.

-- It seems like the story could change depending on the relationship.
YS: Let’s just say that it depends on the budget. Making statements like that is just asking for trouble (laugh).

-- I get it (laugh). Could you explain the 5 million dollar stretch goal; the character perspective system?
YS: That is where the player will take control of characters like Shenhua and Ren instead of Ryo.

-- At a certain point in the game will we be able to change characters freely?
YS: I can’t talk about details yet, so I will just say that it’s not necessarily like we are letting you control the other characters exactly like Ryo.

-- So it’s not like you can just change characters at will.
YS: The personality of Ren and Shenhua is different from Ryo, so even if they see the same thing the reactions would be different. When you played as Ryo it was his decisions, but playing as Ren and Shenhua would make it very interesting.

-- Hearing that makes me even more interested (laugh).
YS: I’m unable to describe it any more until the 5 million dollar stretch goal is reached, so I’ll stop here for today.

-- By the way, will the story end with this part.
YS: To tell the truth, the original story is too long to end here. So I decided against trying to fit it all in to Shenmue III.

-- Which means that after the Shenmue III project has been finished we have to wait for the the next part.
YS: First we have to do our best to make Shenmue III a solid game.

-- Let’s leave the appearance of Shenmue III and talk about the backend. Can you tell us why you chose to use Unreal Engine 4?
YS: It’s because it’s easy to use and fits with how I imagine Shenmue to look. There are like rendering tendencies for the different engines, and the base colors of Unreal Engine 4 added with “dampness and scent” makes it Shenmue.

-- Are the colors you imagine the same as with the first two parts?
YS: Of course. Shenmue had that air humidity feeling well presented and it had a smell too. That’s what I aim for with Shenmue III.

-- So you’re saying that if you take a scenery out of the game and look at it you’d be able to say “That’s Shenmue!”?
YS: Yeah, That’s what I want to do. But the promotional video we made for Kickstarter felt dry. Kind of ended up like the Californian humidity level (laugh).

-- Your idea of the exact colors or the “scent” of the graphics, is it hard to convey that to the developers?
YS: It it very very hard to explain it. It’s like trying to explain what a melon is to someone who only has seen watermelons and mandarins. Well, you can say the size is about in the middle, but trying to explain the taste is very hard.

-- With that said, do you have members from the former parts working on Shenmue III?
YS: Yes. So we have the original members that kind of know what Shenmue is about.

-- After fifteen years, it’s quite the thing to bring everyone together again.
YS: I think so. Everyone has gone independent or changed their positions, but even at this stage when the scope of the production isn’t set in stone they have gladly offered to join. That’s really heartwarming.

-- It feels like the relationship is deeper than what you could expect from work colleges.
YS: That’s because Shenmue was a project that was more than just work. Ten years after the development of Shenmue II we had this get-together and more than 100 people came.

-- That’s amazing. I’m not sure if I would call that just a get-together.

-- The level of creativity in the games you have created is often very high. Is there any secret to this?
YS: No. I never play games outside work, so I don’t get that influenced by other games. Maybe that’s the reason.

-- I had this idea that you researched other games thorough and tried to make something different, but I guess that’s not true then.
YS: Yeah. it easier to just make something from zero (laugh).

-- So maybe If someone from the media like me hear an explanation for a game and say “Is it like the mechanics from that other game?” you might not be able to get it?
YS: I’m sorry, but I guess that’s true. Well, maybe I have to study the trends in the most popular games.

-- By the way, this is the first in a long time that you get to work on a game this big.
YS: Yeah. It feels like it was a long time ago I got this invested in a game.

-- It’s not like you totally left the game industry, but what do you think of the game industry in Japan looking from a bit afar.
YS: The game engine Unity came out and made it easy for just one person to make his own game, which is a good thing. It wouldn’t be healthy if only big budget games were able to survive. It’s good that the market has expanded with more alternatives. But it’s kind of sad that a majority of games that make money are small like games for smartphones.

-- Do you feel like more effort should be made in making titles for the consoles?
YS: Yeah. Before, Japan was said to be number one in game making. It’s sad that the knowledge that had amassed during that time wasn’t used better.

-- Many of the people during that time went over to make games for smartphones.
YS: It’s not like games for smartphones are necessarily bad, but what’s characteristic of smartphone game making is that the development cycles from start to finished tend to be fast. It might be good for business, but I’m not really satisfied with that. If you compare to cars there’s the really popular cars that sell well. They make a lot of money for the company, but if they don’t develop their flagship model their technical advancement will suffer.

-- In USA there is still a lot of money spent in games for game consoles and PC.
YS: Yeah. That kind of rich content helps activate the whole industry. I hope the industry in Japan gets back on track like before...

-- Oh, the interview got very negative suddenly. Could you maybe give a word of encouragement to the young developers of today or people thinking about making games?
YS: Today is different from before. It’s possible for anyone to make games now. Before it was impossible to make games if you didn’t know how to program, but now there are tools for that. It’s also possible to study game development, and it’s easy to learn from the internet. Living in this age you shouldn't think too hard and just try for fun, go in the direction that feels best for you. Begin with having fun creating.

Comments:
The character perspective system means taking control of characters other than Ryo. He literally says “レンやシェンファ” which means characters “like Shenhua and Ren” so it could be for other characters too. (Edit: Or it could be just an example of characters. Like Thief said: "It could mean that characters like Shenhua and Ren (as in main supporting cast characters) are playable. Ren could have merely been used as an example." Thanks Thief! )
But it’s pretty much as close of a confirmation that we can get that Ren will show up in Shenmue III in one way or another. There is a concept art image of him riding a horse so it’s maybe not that unexpected, but we can be fairly sure he will show up in part 3 and not 4 or even later. Horses were also pretty much confirmed in Yu Suzuki's Reddit AMA so the concept art could very well be of an event happening in Shenmue III.
by Capsule Toys Maniac
Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Hello there, good to be back on the Dojo again!

I am not sure if I have put this in the best forum thread but I created a small news episode on Youtube about the campaign. I hope that some of you will enjoy it as it is aimed at the backers first and foremost. It includes a lot of stats and some talk about Shenmuedojo's campaign initatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZOUTqY3Fh0

Remember to enjoy these weeks everyone and do what you can for the campaign! Also feel free to like or share the video if you want, took me a lot of time to do. =)
by Mugen
Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Translation requests here!

Thanks Switch for continuing to translate. :) I'll make sure to check here with you before bothering my wife for something.
by Axm
Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

So much better reading your translation Switch-- thanks
by Thief
Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

Ya thanks Switch again for doing this so quickly and accurately.
by Axm
Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New concept art from Suzuki on Twitter

The old lady in the village Shenhua mentions to Ryo. She is a village elder and has bad eyesight.

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Response from Joel "The Red Shirt Guy" Tess & Awesome Japan

I made attempts at contacting the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter team regarding the explanation of stretch goals, new rewards, VO choice and budget, redoing the video campaign, the reason for the choice of multiple playable characters and how to reel in the general gaming community when most never even heard of the first two games.

My plead yielded the following reply:

Hello,

Very sorry for not getting back sooner! Ok, here we go:
Stretch Goals - Thank you! We are working on it! Trying to be more specific with the SGs and will try to get the explanations moved over. Mr. Suzuki does not want to get too deep without giving all the story away!
Mirrors - Trying!
Video - Still very early development, so there is not much game footage yet. As for scene requests... I think we will have to leave that up to Mr. Suzuki. Again can't give away the story!
At the current stage of funding, it is still hard to know how much voicing there will be. There have been lots of comments for language switching and Mr. Suzuki is aware of the situation.
Why multiple characters? Mr. Suzuki has stated this is one of the things that he really wants to do with Shenmue 3. Will definitely let him know though!
Why care about Shenmue 3? Got it. You are very right. Top priority now getting the message across. We will have the page updated soon.
More rewards? Yes working on them now. Thank you for the ideas!

Thank you very much, please keep your ideas coming, because they will keep us going forward.

Joel &
the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

PS. I did not question the integrity of the work done by his team, because I believe it's counter-productive and unnecessary at this point.
by sand4fish
Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

200% funded :)

Shenmue III has smashed crowdfunding records only halfway through. Right now, it is the 11th most funded project on Kickstarter- the 3rd (Soon to be 2nd) most funded video game.

As a model, Kickstarter technically never guaranteed Shenmue III funding. I know we all dream of the 11 million experience and stretch goals to get the game, but today I wanted to take stock of our success, because I think going over 200% of the initial asking amount is a milestone worth celebrating.

:rainbowafro: :bday: :smilecolros: :beerchug: \:D/
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!

Crying.... yep. Just like i was when Shenmue 3 was announced.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Shenmue%203%20dinner_zpsnssnyjmg.png

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-07-03-17-11-23_zpsfisfrbbt.png

I'M GOING TO MEET YU SUZUKI IN MONACO!! FUCK!!
by Peter
Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I could do to spanish but work time until vacation arrives is very strict, but if i can find a moment i can help.
by Fei Fong Wong
Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Guy Speaks!

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

KS Update #28 - Main Character Designer Kenji Miyawaki pt 2

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Shenmue Fans!

Kenji Miyawaki is back for the second part of his interview for one look back and one look forward. Kenji talks about how Ryo’s character got his fashion sense, and explains the mysterious character on the canvas.

English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4BTbyJmj9k

Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6a17mIdSNY

There are more new rewards on the way that you do not want to miss, so be sure and stay tuned!
by Capsule Toys Maniac
Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue, Passport Models.

Two locations for your pleasure. (.FBX)

This are extracted using hellwig74's model extractor. you can find it here.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=47275

Since it seems people is having troubles making it to work, I decided to post a few extractions I did.

Dobuita.

This is supplied "at it is" it means, you'll have to fix the normals and the textures. It consists in a total of 22 model extractions, ( it can be prety discouraging) some of them failed-gave me errors, so it is missing some geometry.

http://i.imgur.com/9HdnTAH.png
https://mega.nz/#!wV4hjJ4J!S2tmL7f0v36l_Yd7vpnSqPr-VAG6A2NraXMdttG7xXs

Hazuki's Dojo-Residence.

I fixed the normals in this one + some texture errors, it needs further fixing though.

http://i.imgur.com/Q3oMK9P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TWJOPU9.jpg
https://mega.nz/#!EZwDGCJS!oxX4vTLbd1XZqB0KL0lO1TEv3yjsmzGDSLVbYT9dYBU

Any location you want in particular? just ask :)
by Esppiral
Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please share this alternative Shenmue III Kickstarter vi

Thank you guys for the congratulations. I will also address some of the things being asked.

Joel Tess from Awesome reached out to me via Youtube Messages and told me that Yu Suzuki had seen my video and loved it and that he wanted to use it on the Kickstarter page. Once I emailed him about it and said I'd love to do that, my video was shown to SEGA who requested that the arcade footage was taken out and that copyright notices were put in. (I also received request to change the logo but I'm unsure if that's Sega's doing of if it's a personal choice of Yu Suzuki). Once the final version was made I emailed it to Joel Tess who put it up on the page.

I was in touch with Dreamcaster's Tube when I first put the original video up and he said that he's ok with people using his footage as long as they credit him in the description. I'm not taking credit for his work.

"These goals can only be achieved through Kickstarter" is to encourage people to pledge and clear up the fact that Sony and others contributions likely wont be enough to cover any stretch goals.

Anyway, thank you guys for the amazing words. I never thought it would get this far and I feel really honored to be acknowledged by Yu Suzuki and Awesome Japan :D
by Jibby
Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Working on the japanese questions on the second #youAskYu unless someone is already on it.

Edit: and done.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48376&start=60#p1104050
by Capsule Toys Maniac
Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spanish language interview with Cedric Biscay:

http://www.hobbyconsolas.com/reportajes/entrevista-cedric-biscay-productor-shenmue-3-121638

Q: First I want to ask you how did you meet the saga. What does it means to you as a player and as a developer ?
A: I first played Shenmue in the Dreamcast, japanese version, year 2000, and of coourse, it was kind of a revolution: the posibility of being "free" in a videogame y a lot of other interesting elements, like QTE, minigames, and of course, a deep story. I was a "hardcore" player when I was young, and it wasn't a problem playing many hours in japanese, even though I didn't understand all the story details.

Q. When did you meet Yu SUzuki and how did you get to an agreement between YSnet and Shibuya productions for the development of SIII? Can you tell any curiosity of the process ?
A. I met Yu -san for many years in his office. It was a real pleasure for me to meet the legend ! We exchanged views on the gaming industry in general. Later , I invited him to some events in Europe, and it was amazing for visitors to meet with the head of OutRun , Afterburner , Virtua Fighter, Shenmue , and so on . Of course , he always got questions concerning Shenmue 3 .

In 2013 , in Monaco , we spoke of the possibility of actually making Shenmue III . I remember it well because it was at a dinner party I organized with Mr. Go Nagai, creator of Grendizer or Mazinger Z.What a rare moment ! Then we discussed the possibility many times, in Tokyo, San Francisco and Napa Valley. The project had many forms until finally happened. When the game was announced , people were crying around me , and that is something I will never forget .

Q. What media plan you have for the game? Are you going to show it in each fair ( Gamescom , PlayStation Experience, E3) ? Will we see something before MAGIC , the event held in Monaco on February 27, 2016 , or have considered this event as a kind of ' premiere' to show the first real trailer ?
A. We of course have a plan to visit all the major world events . However, it is too early to tell specific dates. Surely, I will visit the Tokyo Game Show in September, and there is a great possibility for GDC . Yu -san will decide whether to display something before MAGIC . Of course , since I am the organizer of this event, I would like to have exclusive things as far as possible, but I will not force anything. Respect for fans above all , and I know they expect us to show something before that date . Last but not least, we are considering a streaming during conference MAGIC .

Q. Shenmue is the perfect example of something with an Eastern philosophy that is very dear in the West and, interestingly, Shibuya Productions has plenty of that, to the extent that it is a European company with strong ties to Japan. The question is: Do you have a specific role to make the game more 'understandable' for Western audiences?
A. over thirteen years ago, I created Shibuya International, a cross-culture consulting firm, established in Japan and France. Yet I direct the company and at the same time, I manage Shibuya Productions, so yes, we can say that we are sort of specialists in bringing things Japanese or Asian to Western philosophy. I think Yu Suzuki knows how to make games for a global audience, so we never interfere in the game as such. Obviously, sometimes, I can give advice as an experienced player, depending on the case. What is clear is that the fact that Shibuya Productions is on board the project allows Shenmue 3 be closer to the fans and the players international vision.

Q. I know this depends exclusively on Sega, but do you have hope in the possibility of a remastering of the first two installments ? I think it would be absolutely necessary , in order to attract a large number of users to the third installment .
A. Well , it is a somewhat difficult question to answer because I do not want to give too much hope and then nothing happening. From an employer point of view , I would say there's no reason that Sega does not make it ... Thanks to the success of the Kickstarter of Shenmue 3 , Sega can understand the potential of the saga. If you choose to launch an HD version of the first two installments in the coming months , it would be a success for sure. The choice is theirs.

Q. Shenmue is one of the few franchises based on a linear story that continues with each delivery. That's great, but it can also be a problem in order to attract those users who speak (assuming Sega does not release Shenmue HD) . How do you plan to attract people who are not familiar with the story of Ryo Hazuki , Lan Di and Shenhua ?
A. As you say , the best way is to have Shenmue I and II in HD. If that's not possible, we will have to make on our own an animated short film or something similar. In any case , fans have to understand that we have permission to make Shenmue 3 , but everything else on the Saga is Sega's decision because it is the owner of the IP . The best we can do is give ideas to Sega.

Q. Kickstarter campaign was a great success in its first two days, but then progression fell ... until you announced a physical version PS4 as a reward, which was a success in the face of recruiting new donors. The question is: Can we expect a similar update for the last days of the campaign, knowing that many projects experienced a big boost in that stretch? And what about new partial goals for the game?
A. Honestly, I think the Kickstarter campaign has been a great success, not only the first two days. Of course, I know the first few days were insane. We are now around 4.5 million, which is not bad. For my part, I hope that Shenmue 3 is the most funded Kickstarter history of the game. There are more updates on the way, as the team is working hard to add some rewards. As for the partial goals, I can not answer: It depends on the money we get.

Q. Is there any chance of seeing a version of the game for Xbox One? In the question and answer section of the Kickstarter , it seems not deny that possibility. Is it really possible, given that , on the other hand , Sony will give some support in marketing ?
A. As for today , I know nothing about a version for Xbox One.

Q. Many people I asked about the possibility of adding the PayPal option to Kickstarter or even to continue funding the project in the future. Have you considered that?
A. Yes .

Q. Once Kickstarter ends, how you will keep you in touch with backers? Would you periodically show material, or Will you ask them for opinion? If so, how will you do it? Perhaps through the official website of the game? And what of the demo you have promised to those who have contributed $ 100 or more?
A. Of course we will keep in touch with funders and care for their opinions. We know that everyone wants to see new updates, but at the same time, we do not want to spoil the game. We'll find a good balance!

Q. YsNet and Neilo are working with Unreal Engine 4. What level of realism can expect, considering the experience of Yu Suzuki with technical innovations? Will we see a new graphic milestone, as in the first two games, or be a more modest project?
A. Shenmue 3 can't be a modest game. The reason why I like the series is that it is not just a game with good graphics. It is deeper than that. Personally, today, I'm tired of the games that only rely on graphics. The gameplay and technical innovations are some of our strengths.

Q. One of the most beloved things of the first two installments were the arcades. So far, you have not said anything specific of them for Shenmue 3, so ... Will we see those again? Do you have permission to use Sega arcade games like Hang-On, OutRun, Space Harrier, Afterburner or even new titles, especially AM2, the former studio of Yu Suzuki? It would be great to see Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing and Virtua Striker.
A. I can not answer that.

Q. And the last question: we know that the estimated release date is December 2017, but many people are concerned that many Kickstarter projects always get delayed. What can you tell them? Incidentally, if the game is a great success,
Do you think that all this done for the next 2 and a half years will be useful for having Shenmue IV ?
A. It is impossible to say now if the game is delayed or not. What is certain is that we have tried to be realistic according to our knowledge and experience: December 2017 is not crazy. Indeed, if the game is a success, it will be quite easy to make Shenmue IV. Now, all risks are on Shibuya Productions and Ys Net, but not surprised to have new friends for the fourth installment if this is succesfull (laughs).
by shredingskin
Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Live on Nico Nico Douga 07/12

You japanese translators are just too awesome, thank you.
by Shenhua-Nani?
Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Switch wrote: Ok, here's the plan for handling the translation at the moment.

SquallAdv will be doing a live "as-it-happens" summary translation of the stream into English, and I'll be extending this afterwards as a full transcript to capture the detail.

Thanks for all your work guys! 8) =D>
by NeoShredder
Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki interview on NicoNico LIVE transcription [2015.07.12]:
(Sorry if there are some english mistakes)

J: Journalist
Y: Yu Suzuki

J: Here’s Yu Suzuki-san, I think he doesn't need introductions. We are still surprised for Shenmue 3 announcement.

Y: Yeah… We waited for 14 years and are very, very excited. Years passed by, and it doesn’t matter where I go, it was always the same, where’s Shenmue 3, Shenmue 3… And I just recently watched a video from the grateful fans all over the world; it was really moving for me, it’s difficult to explain with words.

J: Shenmue was a true revolution for the time, but nowadays it will probably be more difficult to surprise gamers like you did all this years ago right? Please tell us about your origins as a game designer.

Y: At first I didn’t want to become a game designer you know, I wanted to be musician, even dentist… But especially musician, I was very interested in music stuff back then, since very early school days. I even had interest on foreign languages (not Asian languages, written in horizontal, like English). Then I went to different interviews, one of those interviews was in SEGA for programmer stuff, I thought it was very interesting and then I decided that’s what I wanted to do with my life (game designer).

J: So let’s check this slide with different games Yu Suzuki-san created over the years. So incredible names come out, Outrun, Virtua Racing… and so on. We can see back then a lot of them were arcade games right? (like the ones you can find inside Game You/Shenmue Arcade Center)

Y: Yes, back then arcades were very successful, a lot of them were later adapted to consoles and even to Shenmue, including the boxing one.

J: Yeah… Shenmue Arcade Center was truly incredible; we could play games like Outrun, etc., what were you thinking for creating something like that?

Y: Well, back then arcades in Japan had a very negative image on the society, like the kind of dark place where delinquents would meet, bike gangsters and bad guys smoking… I wanted to change that, and at the same time create a new style of gaming. I wanted arcades to be considered like treasures, like Disneyland.

I: Well, you created something truly wonderful! It was a place even girls could enjoy… (Kicked from NicoNico, don’t know if he was referring to real Arcade Centers or Game You)

Y: (…) the evolution of game engines, CG, pseudo-3D sprite-scaling with games like Hang On or Virtua Racing, and then real 3D boards!, full 3D games like Virtua Fighter, back then it was something unbelievable you know. When we were studying on school we were always thinking how awesome it would be to have 3D games. Hang On was kind of 3D, pseudo simulated 3D, and then we created different patterns using different 3D effects, it was very curious, for some time we were creating fully 3D games inside our heads, but the final product was pseudo-3D, not real 3D. Games like Virtua Racing used indirect 3D effects, then for Virtua Fighter we created polygons full contact, full 3D games at last.

J: And all of this starting from scratch right?

Y: Yeah, back then everything was like that, from scratch, we created everything starting from 0, there was no other way.

J: Then with Shenmue you created not only a stage or racing track but a full 3D city to explore.

Y: Normally at first you have to design your initial planning for the game, so you think about the human body, and if it’s a soccer game 11 players per team, and things like that. But with Shenmue we had to think from the beginning on creating a full living city. That was something I wanted to achieve from a long time ago.

J: A game that feels like a full experience right? You created a new genre by the time, it was called FREE, some kind of special RPG style genre?

Y: Well, yes it was an RPG, but I don’t like to call Shenmue like that, it was something completely new, an adventure you needed to experience by yourself. So we decided to call it like that, FREE, a new genre to help people easily understand Shenmue was something completely new, nothing like they knew by then.

J: Let’s talk about Shenmue 3, meetings, reasons, the timing needed to make Shenmue 3 come true…

Y: It’s been already 14 years since Shenmue 2, it was a really long journey. Wherever I go it was always the same, Shenmue 3, Shenmue 3… Then by march/april, is Shenmue 3 finally coming? They wanted Shenmue much more than any other of my previous games, like Virtua Fighter, and I really thought one million possibilities to make it true, there were a lot of things to deal with, budget problems, licensing problems with SEGA, etc. After continuously thinking for 14 years then I decided to make it via Kickstarter, that way we could get the budget we needed via crowdfunding and finally create Shenmue 3.

J: I see (sorry). And fans from all around the world joined forces to become this project a reality. During E3 Shenmue 3 announcement there were some unbelievable reactions don’t you think?

Y: Yes, I couldn’t see that reactions LIVE because I was waiting behind the main stage, and before Shenmue 3 there were some awesome games announcements like Final Fantasy VII, I could hear really big reactions so I was very nervous about Shenmue and how the people would react. But then, it happened, I remember screams all over the place… after Shenmue music started it was like an explosion… It was too much for me, I couldn’t bear it and started to cry backstage.

J: I could imagine Yu’s happiness just by looking at those emotions from all over the world.

Y: Indeed, it was truly awesome. Also, a lot of Shenmue fans from a lot of countries learned a lot from Japan and even started to study japanese and eventually moved to Japan thanks to playing the game. Specially Shenmue II using japanese voices and english subtitles helped foreigners to learn at least some well repeated japanese phrases and expressions. I even know some incredible stories, folks who dreamed to get married in Japan with someone like Nozomi, and eventually they did it! It makes me really happy to hear stories like that.

I: Congratulations for all you’ve achieved during your life Yu Suzuki-san. Now please tell me, what was Shenmue I and II original staff reactions after Shenmue 3 announcement on E3?

Y: They sent me LINE messages like ‘congratulations!!’ or things like that, some of them are living abroad, and they were super excited and relieved for the good news. Also, like I said before recently I saw a 20 minutes video with Shenmue fans from all over the world thanking me for making Shenmue 3, I was very moved by their feelings, it was incredible.

J: It’s unbelievable don’t you think Yu Suzuki-san? What a game can achieve…

Y: Indeed. Maybe it is something you can’t make outside of videogames. It is more than just good graphics or sounds, inside the game you create some kind of bond between the story and the spirit of the player, I think that’s awesome.

J: Let’s talk about the real condition of cities like Yokosuka. Kind of nostalgic feeling don’t you think? How things have changed all over Japan since 1986. Now we have incredible places like Mirai Kan, etc.

Y: Yes, Japan changed in a lot of ways. And let’s not forget Japanese and Asian people have very different beliefs and traditions than the ones from foreigner countries. Probably those differences also helped foreign fans to learn to love Shenmue, trying to understand a country so much different than theirs. Also, internet and technology helped a lot to unify the world and making it easy to understand those differences. Going back to Yokosuka and old Japan, for example if you go back in time 80 years, there are not so many records, and (…) Yokohama and ‘Yoko’ Kanji (??) (Kicked from NicoNico)

J: And you can immortalize the atmosphere of those years inside the game right?

Y: Yes, using 3D and techniques like motion capture we tried to capture and recreate that atmosphere from old times the best we can.

J: No doubt you did it. I think you can really feel the japanese Showa era (1926-1989) inside Shenmue. Please tell us more about your relations with producers and staff before the Shenmue 3 announcement.

(From now on NicoNico started to kick me a lot, not using a premium account + too many viewers…)

Y: With Hirai-san we are wine friends (laughs), and always ended talking about Shenmue no matter the situation. We wanted to make Shenmue 3 from the beginning, and we know now it’s a life time opportunity to finally continue this project and making it come true after all these years.

J: And you reunited all the original Shenmue staff. That’s incredible, I think only someone like Yu-san could achieve something like that. Now, please tell us more about crowdfunding and Kickstarter. Aside from Ys Net almost all the Shenmue 3 budget will be thanks to the fans effort right? Let’s check how it works (slide, lot of explanations, credit card system, different stretch goals, etc.).

Y: There’s still 1 Monaco dinner left (laughs). We are now approaching 5m, and the funds amount will impact directly on the final game. But I want to make the best game possible with the budget we reach. I want to thank every one of you who helped Shenmue 3 coming this far. Shenmue 3 is now true thanks to all of you who never stopped believing and supporting Shenmue. We are creating three big areas inside Shenmue 3 and a lot of features based on our budget. We really want to create an open world game, but that really depends directly on the final budget. We need 10 millions to make it, I know it’s very difficult, but I’m very grateful with Shenmue fans, and now I really believe in miracles, I believe we can make it, together.

J: Also let me add this Yu Suzuki-san, please, try to involve your friends in the project, a lot of people around the world still don’t know about Shenmue 3 on Kickstarter. Yu-san needs 10 million to create the game he has been dreaming since the beginning, so let’s all together make it true. I already pledged! Let’s help him create the Shenmue 3 he dreams of! C’mon, now is our chance!, we are the fans, we are united, we can make this come true (yes, he was really excited at this point of the interview, you can really tell he’s also a big Shenmue fan =) ) Oh, sorry, I think I speaked a little too much. (…) Please tell us more about the game concept; there will be real time system right? And the story? Will it begin just after Shenhua & Ryo event at the cave?

Y: Thank you very much. Yes, Shenhua & Ryo have a very powerful objective in common related to Shenhua’s father past. Finally we can focus on Shenhua’s story and her past, something Shenmue fans were waiting since the original Shenmue. Some things are still being decided right now, but I want to start the game in the beautiful mountains of Guilin in China, and deepen into the relation between Shenhua & Ryo, the free selection system, and the character perspective system. (Kicked from NicoNico) Inside these 3 areas one of them is Baisha, and then Chobu, where I want to make some kind of China sandbox game inside Shenmue 3, an area full of events, quests and possibilities, a sandbox with Shenmue charm, that’s what I’m aiming for. (…) There is a sandbox image like something complicated… This is not the case for Shenmue. If you go back into Shenmue I or Shenmue II the battle system was not a timing technical game like Virtua Fighter, and the player can go through the story with simple mini events like QTE, it’s a game everybody can plan and enjoy. Sandbox? Seems difficult, complicated… But everybody can enjoy Shenmue 3!

J: What about character perspective system?

Y: We can choose our character thanks to the characters system on Shenmue 3, and it’s not only the character, the routes we can follow are also different, and the personality of different characters and their gender will make us choose between different options. At some point you will think “Yeah! That would probably be a man’s choice!”, or the opposite if you’re using a female character. That’s the charming point of this system.

J: So interesting! So many characters and possibilities… Oh, and now Ryo can jump right?

Y: Yeah, and climb mountains.

J: Please tell us more about forklifts (laughs).

Y: Forklifts (laughs). Yeah, everybody asks for it. You know, in the top 3 the most wanted things by Shenmue fans would be, 1st: Story related things, 2nd, Open World doubts, 3rd, forklifts (laughs), in that order. Even I can’t fully understand why it’s so popular! I’m thinking different ways to make them appear on Shenmue 3, but with the present Shenmue 3 scale is not easy to implement. Maybe in Chobu… Chobu is a port town, but it’s still too small to think about forklifts, maybe if we get more budget we can make it true.

J: Something like 5 more millions?

Y: Yes (laughs). I also want to include an Arcade Game Center from 1988, with SEGA games inside, and one of them could be a forklift arcade game invention, I’m also thinking crazy ideas like that (laughs).

J: Awesome! Let’s check some fans questions… Masaya Matsukaze return, yes… (keeps checking…)

Y: (Yu checks fan questions by himself) Chai returning to the game? Yes! Chai appers in Shenmue 3! (laughs).

(Kicked from NicoNico)
Y: One justice (…) Five… (???), a lot of objectives. (Yu then explains more detailed information for Japanese fans about the Kickstarter system, different rewards, the special place in Baisha with Shenmue fans photos, NPC fan based characters that got kicked by Ryo and stuff). (…) I also want to say that people who never got into Shenmue I and II will still be able to fully enjoy Shenmue III, for example using flashbacks to advance in the story, everyone will be able to understand what’s happening and progress into the wonderful world of Shenmue. And this is also very important, we can call Ine-san with Telecom card! (Yu check some comments…), no, she’s not dead! (laughs), but maybe her voice will be a little different. Also, remember that instead of Nozomi you can choose to be with Ine-san or Fuku-san for the gashapon reward! (laughs)

J: Can’t wait for Shenmue 3…

Y: We are doing our best to release the final game by the end of 2017. Finally, let me say Ryo’s aspect will fully change, including his jacket. And please, tell your friends and people you know about Shenmue 3, let’s make the best game together! I’m counting with you, always, thank you very much!
by SquallAdv
Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ziming wrote:
Technophilz wrote: I'll rebroadcast the interview on my twitch : http://www.twitch.tv/technophilz

Do you have a link to download this video, or watch it on Youtube?

I've uploaded the video for you, please check your inbox ..

phpBB [video]
by Technophilz
Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New shenmue tribute, about revenge and enlightenment.

Hey there, I’ve been a member here, since I was about 13years old. Never really posted however, Today I just finished creating a new video, to get people hyped about Shenmue 3
I can’t even explain how happy I am about Shenmue 3 finally coming.
As you all know, there’s only a few days left, so be sure to make your last contributions to the kickstarter

shenmuedojo.com can feel free to request the video, I’ll send high-quality 1080P link for their channel on youtube If they want

This is a revenge/spiritual enlightenment tribute video hope you like it & spread it around: D

http://youtu.be/WXtCjJaiKfA

thanks!

Edit:video improved
by ShenmueP1
Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue art book question

Seems like you were correct with your fishing mini-game idea Switch, as it's been revealed to be an activity in Shenmue 3. I'd like to think those stars are fishing spots on the edge of a floating village like this: http://i.imgur.com/sXj6k5I.jpg
by colacube
Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

I seriously liked this vid 100000 times more than initial reveal vid. I love the animation. I \love the way the lighting looks and I can't imagine how it'll look in a more finalized state. I love the way the camera pans out for the zoom in on Shenhua and it transitions to the sky. The cinematography is excellent for a small time tech demo that was barely in the oven. Just imagining the possibilities with actual money and staff, I'm even less skeptical about this game.

http://i.imgur.com/ucy9njR.png

Incredible art direction and aesthetic for such little time and such little money. The potential for this game has me \:D/ and I screamed "OH MY GOD" out loud as I watched it for the first time.

Shenmue's back! =D>
by Himuro
Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Video] Yu Suzuki Shenmue 3 Interview on Niconico Live

Thank you switch! I'll add the link to the video to the front page article 8)
by Sonoshee
Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

5 million!

We did it!!! \:D/

by Mr357
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Video] Yu Suzuki SM3 Interview on Niconico Live [Englis

Spoilers worked perfectly, just make sure to activate the Youtube annotations.

The Character Perspective System definitely hypes me, hopefully the switch will be as free as possible. =D>
by Yokosuka
Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For those freaking out about Shenmue not hitting $10 million

I wanted to make this post as it seems there is still some fear going around in the media that somehow because Shenmues kickstarter didn't pass 10 million dollars that somehow it didn't succeed. Unfortunately I have heard this from others who claim that in order for the game to be truly open world that it would need 10 million.
Based on Suzukis quotes and also his answers, it sounds like this isn't actually the case at all, regardless of the case, if you can donate in the future on paypal, we should definitely encourage further investing but should not promote a negative mentality that somehow we did not succeed in this.

If you check the stretch goals at 11 million, it indicates "Bailu Village Expanded Magic Maze" which simply seems to indicate that if all stretch goals were met (which were added along the time of the kickstarter because we already reached the actual amount requested of 2 million), that due to fan requests of certain things like minigames, forklift, jobs, etc. that Suzuki would offer fan service in exchange for the stretch goals. Actually, it seems to indicate the game already was going to be open world from the beginning and all the stretch goals would do would add some additional options to fighting and some expanded things to do in the other rural villages while Baisha seemed to be the most concern in regards to development. Suzuki even mentioned that he was trying to figure out how forklifts would be utilized that one of the towns was a port town.

So overall I guess the moral is, be happy, we succeeded and I believe Yu Suzuki is happy, and if you "can" contribute more in the future to paypal, by all means feel free to do so, but don't think or expect somehow the game will be any less based on how much was contributed, the figures that were raised are impressive and we should be proud of this!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/168/972/1dbb7cc467ba9a1f98f08d96d7034620_original.png?v=1437183142&w=680&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=6cea5cf28ef6d68f5fb96a2c663ee42f

Also for those who need some reassurance, check this out even though it's old news.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1283666
by PILMAN
Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nocon Kid & Shenmue III

Here's a good interview with Nocon Kid, for those that haven't seen it:
http://teamyu.net/Shenmue.III?topic=189.0

I wonder if Yu Suzuki chose Unreal for part III after seeing Nocon Kid's work, it wouldn't surprise me.

And there is precedent for Sega hiring this guy, as they used fans to port the original Sonic to ios back in 2013:
http://www.cultofmac.com/313342/two-sonic-fans-brought-ageing-franchise-back-life-ios
by colacube
Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ScottishDuck17- I Was On The Shenmue 3 Countdown Stream! :D

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Video] Yu Suzuki SM3 Interview on Niconico Live [Englis

You are a true 努力家 Switch. Keep up the great work!
by Rakim
Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future of Shenmue series after 2017

People around the world eagerly wait for the clock to strike 12:00 AM to get their physical and digital copies of Shenmue 3. The president holds an impromptu summit with all word leaders with the help of holographic Abe Lincoln to determine how to contain Shenmue 3 pandemonium from causing world wide hysteria and stampedes.
Everyone at the summit surely feels the tremendous gravity of the situation, and is moved to tears.

Suddenly, Kim Jong-un appears on the main-monitor, crying and apologizing profusely for then pain and suffering he has caused. He states that only now, after the release of Shenmue 3, has he seen the folly of his ways and the suffering of his people.
The room erupts with applause and cheers, and every world leader unanimously agrees that this day be made officially as, 'world-wide Shenmue day'. It's a new festive holiday where everyone is encouraged to wear leather bomber jackets, blue jeans and white sneakers while drinking Fanta soda as a sign of world peace and solidarity.

The new rules of the holiday are written on a scroll with an ink quill and signed by every world leader. It's put over a candle to give it those brown hues that make it look like a older document that it actually is, then, it's rolled up and shot through a pneumatic tube, where it is sent directly to replace the constitution at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

Meanwhile, broadcasts are interrupted all over the globe, informing all citizens to go home and be with their families to enjoy the new holiday: Shenmue day.
Gabe Newell announces Half-Life 3, and in the same breath states that Gordon Freeman will be replaced by Ryo Hazuki.

Reviews are pouring in as 10's all across the board, it's hailed as a master stroke of pure genius by all media; small and large; local news to national 24 hour networks are wall-to-wall Shenmue coverage around the clock. Bill O'reilly renames the O'reilly factor to the Hazuki factor for Shenmue day.

Old critics and haters have taken to self-flagellation with HDMI cables. The Pope offers the papacy to Suzuki-san at the Vatican, but he graciously declines as he addresses the throngs of people who wait for his words.
He states, only, "Thank you for making Shenmue 3 possible. Now, we can make Shenmue 4, next. Thank you all." The crowds watching from around the world in stadiums and pubs, in public squares and homes are raucous and jubilant.

Suzuki-san hops into his red F355 Ferrari, but it has no wheels at all. Somehow finding the time while developing Shenmue 3, his genius has created the worlds first fully modified hover-Ferrari. He winks, puts on his sunglasses, and turns the stereo to the song, splash wave. Then turns the key and the car gradually takes flight and soars into the sky.
Subsequently, Elon Musk purchases the hover-Ferrari technology from Suzuki-san for his Tesla factories. Suzuki-san uses this massive windfall to purchase SEGA, using an unlimited budget for all future Shenmue games.
by Wude-Tang Clan
Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It also looks like it might say 母性(maternal instinct) under shenhua, which would be really interesting.
by Rakim
Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic