Search found 359 matches

Return

Re: Will the textures be improved?

This has already been covered in Random Shenmue HD Thoughts and the answer is that we just don't know at this point. If you'd like to continue the discussion of this, feel free to do so in the aforementioned thread, but there's just not enough information for it to have its own topic yet.
by Jibby
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I & II HD : FAQs Answered by Sega & d3t

Fantastic presentation Kiske! Great job.
by Jibby
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Either that or it's an older build of the game.
by Jibby
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

I don't think anybody is trying to suggest that these are the perfect dream ports of Shenmue.

Even I'll admit that there's stuff I wish they could have implemented. It'd be great to see 16:9 cutscenes. 4k? I'd love to play it on my 4k monitor. Obviously these things would make it a definitively better port; you'd be hard-pressed to find somebody who doesn't think this.

But are these problems enough to write off the entire port? I wouldn't say so. In the grand scheme of things some of these criticisms are fairly small. It's not like d3t and SEGA aren't putting effort into these ports. We could have had a lazily done emulated port with zero enhancements, but that's not the case. Things I rarely see the people who are overly saddened by these ports mention is features such as saving anywhere, both dubs, short loading times, modern controls etc. I'm not saying that people should ignore the shortcomings because there's good things too. But when you feign ignorance to these things and focus exclusively on the negatives then obviously you're going to be disappointed.

Do we deserve better? It's a tough one to answer. Technically we don't really deserve anything. Only a couple of months back getting any sort of remaster seemed like an impossibility with SEGA barely uttering a single word about Shenmue. Some are so quick to forget about this. I know that there are posters here who have never uttered a single positive thing about Shenmue, but even still, apply some context and realise that we're actually getting something pretty decent (albeit with a couple of shortcomings) instead of acting so ungrateful and demanding we have it better.

To summarise, I just don't get how people can get this upset over these ports and make SEGA and d3t out to be lazy and awful when what we're actually getting is going to be a well crafted, decent port (after many years of asking for it) with a few drawbacks.
by Jibby
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue I & II Pre-order discounts

https://puu.sh/AYPEE/88fb697673.png

With the release date of Shenmue I and II being revealed earlier this month, the game has started to pop up across different digital distribution platforms. Something that may be easily missed by some is that most of these platforms are offering a 10% saving if you decide to pre-order; bringing the price down to £22.49. If you've been on the fence about picking up a digital copy of the game, or waiting for release to buy, then these offers are definitely worth a look.

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/758330/Shenmue_I__II/
Xbox: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/shenmue-i-ii/bzzp5hfc3pgj
Playstation: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0177-CUSA08355_00-SHENMUE12PORDER0
by Jibby
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Redream: A Powerful Dreamcast Emulator

Had a bit of a play with this last night and it's improved a lot since the last time I used it (when you actually had to sign up to download it for whatever reason).

It's very convenient. You literally just select a game and go. Not having to load a BIOS or even bind your controller buttons is a huge step forward in making Dreamcast emulation (which is fairly difficult to get right for newcomers) more accessible.

Emulation is solid; out of the games I tried I only encountered a handful of minor gameplay bugs and one game breaking bug (although I suspect a bad rip of the game is to blame for this). There are a few graphical glitches here and there but that's to be expected in an emulator this new and it's nothing that really took away from the experience.

However, by far the biggest problem I had with it was the sound emulation. It's awful and it needs major improvements. Across all the games I tested all of them suffered from audio glitches that made the experience ultimately unenjoyable. Sound and music suffered from issues such as playing too loud, not playing at all, stacking up, distortion and not ending when it should. For example in Sonic Adventure's Windy Valley level, the wind ambience would play much louder than it's supposed to and drown out the music and sound effects (the same effect was in all the levels, but I felt that Windy Valley was most noticeable). You can also hear the 'stacking' effect by activating Tikal which plays a sound effect multiple times and distorts the audio. Obviously I expect this to be fixed in subsequent versions and I get that the main priority is getting the emulator stable, but it's a shame as at the current time it's the one thing that stops me from recommending Redream to emulator newcomers who want to try out Dreamcast games.

Also, something about charging for an emulator kind of rubs me the wrong way. I get that developers should be able to be paid for their work but offering a 'premium' version and paywalling certain features just feels sketchy. I'd much rather the developer just adds a 'pay-what-you-want'/donation button instead.

All in all though, I'm really impressed. Some hard work has obviously gone into this and I can't wait until they sort out the sound issues.
by Jibby
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

It’s probably worth tempering expectations about Gamescom until it’s actually confirmed to show there. Just assuming it’s going to be there could lead to massive disappointment if it’s a no show. I recall this happening with PSX 2016 and it was a disaster.

I’m not saying it’s not going to show, but we just shouldn’t be so quick to assume it’s locked in 100%.
by Jibby
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Streams Return! - Thursday 19th July 9PM BS

Really incredible stream tonight! Boggles the mind that SEGA popped their head in for a bit to say hello; love the fact that they've been so active with the community lately. Fingers crossed they come back again soon!

Can't wait for next week!
by Jibby
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

King John Blaze wrote:probably will play old too and because of that

If you looked into it a bit more before instantly writing off the re-release for its graphics, you’d probably find out that they’re implementing features like a revamped modern control scheme to circumvent this very thing.
by Jibby
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 thoughts.

I've been a diehard fan of Shenmue since I was 14. When I heard about the Shenmue 3 announcement I thought it was a prank. With 7 million dollars raised how complete of a game do you think we'll get? I know 7 million is a lot but how far does it go for game budgets? I feel Shenmue 3 will be just enough to hold us over till Shenmue 4 and beyond can be made. I know its way to early to say this but with the success of Kickstarter and the Shenmue 1&2 remasters coming, there's no way that Yu Suzuki doesn't get full backing to continue the story. Anyways just my opinion, I'd like to hear the Shenmue community thoughts.

Hey, I've merged your topic with Random Shenmue III thoughts.

I wouldn't worry about the budget. Yu's got more to work with than just the initial Kickstarter money. Enough to make his 'full vision'. We should concern ourself with 4 when the time comes but for now the priority is making sure III is a success.
by Jibby
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #85: Survey Info #2: $7M stretch goal reached!

That screenshot, that UI!

...hold me
by Jibby
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Jibby
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:12 pm

Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I wouldn't say it distracts. Having backers as Chi You Men members is probably the best option as there is an abundance of them, they're not mainline characters, and it means that we don't have the same handful of generic models repeated over and over.

Also if you don't know who the model is based on, is it really any different from seeing a model that isn't based on anybody?
by Jibby
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Jibby
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 am

Jump to topic