Search found 37 matches

Return

A scene I've never seen before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0szsnG9Xl4 go to 2:41 Ryo gets his money taken after getting beatdown by some Mad angels thugs. I think this fight happens on the first full day of work, if anyone wants to test it out.

Does this happen in the English dub?

I love how I'm still finding out new things about this game after 15 years.
by Chaikilla
Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Very interesting how Suzuki confirmed that in the original game (Virtua fighter Rpg) Ryo defeats Lan Di yet his journey still continues. Especially since he confirmed in a recent interview that Ryo's desire for revenge dissipates.

Lan Di could be defeat a lot earlier than we expect and Ryo's goal may completely change if the original concept for the game is anything to go by.
Many years ago when he was talking about the chapters in the story it was already quite clear that meeting Lan Di was not the end and that there were several more chapters after that. Originally the series was planned to be about 5 games from what I've read so it seemed as if Lan Di was something for Shenmue III. He has mentioned the fact that there were several Chi You Men leaders above Lan Di for example.

Yeah. It's a baseless theory at this point but I've always liked the whole "Lan Di is just a pawn, Tentei murdered his father and pinned the blame on Iwao" theory.
by Chaikilla
Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dirty Naoyuki

Apparently it's been deleted. u_u

I guess I'll just have to make to do with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP0MoWhKwMY
by Chaikilla
Sat May 17, 2014 5:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things you just noticed (recent playthroughs)

All those planks climbed for nothing ;(

On topic, when you defeat Chai at the arcade if Ryo goes home before 7PM there will be no sign of Fuku-San whatsoever. I found that interesting because I think his absence implies that he tailed Ryo, saw that everything was alright and went into town for a drink (jk).

Nah but it sort of makes sense since we all know that Fuku randomly appears if Chai beats your ass.
by Chaikilla
Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Shenmue 1 Moment?

I loved finding rare pieces of dialogue in the game. The reactions of the residents of Dobuita to chai is a particular highlight. Also when you visit the tattoo guy mid to late way through disc he has some really interesting things to say about the Mad angels. I loved all that kind of stuff.
by Chaikilla
Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Map Glitch - Skip floors and break into Yuanda Zhu's roo

Awesome, I want to try this out myself. I'd love to see a video where you break into the Yan Tin and Da Yuan apartments and if possible, the apartments in the Wise men's quarter that are locked (I can't think of the name of it).

Slightly off topic but I love your channel. I love how you went to the effort of showing us the outcome of every choice Ryo makes in his conversations with Fangmei. She really gets feisty if you say the wrong thing! I saw another video of yours where that fortune-teller in the blue dress falls in love with Ryo. I knew about this first piece of dialogue between her and Ryo (the one where Ryo is fresh off the boat and she's reading palms near the free stay lodge) but I didn't know until I watched your video that there was more to it than that! I love how she warns Ryo against mingling with other ladies ;D

Sorry for going wildly off-topic but I had to give you some positive feedback for your great work. I don't want you to stop making videos! You're teaching me things about a game that I thought I knew everything about.
by Chaikilla
Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can you take the bus back to Dobuita before the Tom scen

You certainly can. I'd recommend doing this on New year's day, if possible. I say this because on New year's day in the game your friends Eri, Noriko, Ichiro and Naoyuki are all in one place (lurking outside the shrine in Yamanose). Eri has something interesting to say but I won't spoil it.
Oh, please do! The only person I've ever spoken to during the time frame is Nozomi; it didn't even occur to me to speak to anyone else.

Silly me #-o!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUaLc2OQ06U&t=5m35s :mrgreen:

Eri was a total ice queen for 99% of the game. It was pretty cool to see her treat Ryo like a human for once.
by Chaikilla
Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

I had a dream that the kickstarter was at 7 million with 30 seconds left and Sony donated 33 mil to make it a square 40.

Then I woke up. :/
by Chaikilla
Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Replaying S1 and S2

Would it be bold of me to say I'm waiting for the S1&2 hd remakes? Give people like me an inch and I'll take the whole 9 yards.
by Chaikilla
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 4gamer interview - character perspective system [spoiler

I wanted to make a thread on the possibility of ShenHua being a playable character with her own storyline quite a while ago but never got around to it. Pretty cool how we'll being using ShenHua at some points in the game and I think it's a necessary compromise for people who want the mystical (ShenHua) elements of the game seperated from the more realistc path Ryo takes (choosing to fight using martial arts). If the ending of Shenmue 2 (floating sword) and the project Berkley videos (where Shenhua was firing Hadokens) are anything to go by, Shenmue 3 will explore more "mystical" elements.

The character perspective system might give us the chance to explore a completely new, "magical" fighting style through ShenHua. I could see Ryo and ShenHua getting seperated at some point in the game, with Ryo walking down a more realistc path and ShenHua going down a more mystical one. Just a thought, please don't kill me y_y
by Chaikilla
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fucking Wang...

Tao-San has Wang by the balls. Wang is an illegal immigrant who is being sought by Japan's border control. Tao took advantage of this by forcing to him to effectively be his slave in exchange for keeping his secret/not giving him up to the feds, paying him in Chinese leftovers only (drinks not included). This is why he's so thirsty.

...I'd still rather keep the 100 yen, though.
by Chaikilla
Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD

Done.

I attached a little threat too. Just in case...
by Chaikilla
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Beyond Shenmue

Chai: The untold story.

The game takes place just after Ryo booted him off the boat to Hong Kong. The main objective will be to climb roofs and stalk Ryo, causing minor inconveniences for him throughout his journey through China. All the while without getting caught.

Slightly alter Ryo's teacups while he sleeps during waiting period of making the Chawan sign! Steal the key for the ghost hall building elevator or even make Ryo's search for firewood slightly more inconvenient by placing most of the twigs towards the far end of the cave! A life of stalking and pettiness awaits! Buy now!
by Chaikilla
Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter sets new record - LIVE REACTION

Lmfao I'm just messing when I say sony will donate $40M but I do think they'll contribute a hefty chunk privately. Imagine the meltdown this site would have if they did go public and dropped 5/6 mil on the project in the final few minutes, though. That would be the icing on the cake.

I seriously did have a dream about Sony donating $40M though, so who knows? Maybe I'm a prophet.
by Chaikilla
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter sets new record - LIVE REACTION

This is a silly thought but I wonder if there's a Shenmue-obsessed couple out there who got married during the Kickstarter and instructed those invited to their wedding to donate to the Kickstarter instead of buying them a gift...
by Chaikilla
Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Comes to a Close, Reaches $6.3m in Crowdfund

Great job, everyone! Apparently the person who pledged 10k for Ryo's jacket pulled out in the last second. :/
by Chaikilla
Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue chapter 2 DLC!!

It's possible. I would say that though, since I really want this to happen. If you're familiar with the Kickstarter rewards available, you'll notice a reward called "s3 world telecom" which not only allows you to call old friends/relatives from Yokosuka but it also gives you access to flashback scenes.

Maybe during your conversation with Gui Zhang, they talk about Chai and Ryo's boat journey. Cue Ryo having a flashback and boom! We get to live out Ryo's boat journey via a flashback.
by Chaikilla
Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Money just been collected!

Team Yu and I doing our best Chai impressions.
by Chaikilla
Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Most shocking Shenmue 2 ending you can think of.

Picture the scene...It's the end of Shenmue 2. You know, that part where Ryo and Shenhua gaze lovingly into each other's eyes in the cave? Well, imagine this but at the very last second, picture "Shenhua's" lips curling to reveal a twisted a smile, her eyes begin to bulge and her posture slowly starts to deteriorate...

Purple knockout gas permeates throughout the air as Shenhua's clothes fly in the air. As the purple fog clears, a loud shrieking "HEGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!!!!!" is the last sound Ryo hears before being knocked unconscious. Shenhua was Chai all along! Chai steals the mirror, joins the chiyoumen and marries Lan Di.
by Chaikilla
Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So is Shenmue NOT mass market?

10.6 Million dreamcasts sold worldwide, an estimated 1.2m copies of Shenmue 1 were sold. That's a good conversion rate. The dreamcast was in its coffin by the time Shenmue 2 was released on the dc (late 2001 in Europe, no dc release of s2 in NA) the system was dead and buried. I was a hardcore fan of the series after Shenmue 1 and I can remember only coming across finding a copy of 2 in store by chance, I didn't even know the game was out at the time. There were no advertisements that I could remember.

When Shenmue 2 came out on the Xbox a year later, again, there was very little advertisement of the game and Europeans had no real reason to re-purchase the game if they had already bought it on dreamcast a year earlier. Then you have to take into account that the original Xbox wasn't selling particularly well at the time itself. Another crucial error was the decision to not re-release Shenmue along with Shenmue 2 on the Xbox, I'd assume that this isolated many potential newcomers to the series.

I honestly think that the reason the Shenmue series didn't become mass market was largely down to the games being on consoles that sold poorly at the time. Along with some bad marketing decisions.
by Chaikilla
Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

This is a Shenmue 2 thought but hey, whatever, I'll share it.

I used to have a fear of Chai as a little kid (so maybe I was hallucinating or something) but I could have sworn that on one of my first few playthroughs of Shenmue 2 I saw him near the very start of the game, peering down from a window in Aberdeen (I specifically remember someone bald with purple-ish clothes). This was at night during the chase for Wong after he steals Ryo's bag in the building adjacent to the fishing shop.

I always worked it into my brain that Chai would pop up at some point in Shenmue 2, so much so that I would cower and cover my eyes at the start of cut scenes where the camera angle would pan out to a high point. :(
by Chaikilla
Tue May 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: LGBT-Homophobia Characters/Storylines (Censorship)

Chai's is probably not gay by choice. His frequent crack abuse (no pun intended) probably makes him more sexually uninhibited but that's about it. Lan Di Sama's got the goods he needs and he's got needs. It's a fair trade if you ask me.
by Chaikilla
Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drugs in Shenmue?

Yuan probably needed poppers for Do Niu.
by Chaikilla
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I wonder if Ryo will be faced with an impossible dilemma, one that tests his thirst for revenge. How far will he be willing to go in order to fulfill his wish? Would he be willing to kill for it? I'd love to see Ryo's resolve tested. I can Imagine a scenario where Niao Sun promises him a meeting with Lan Di, on the condition that he kills Ren, for example.

Hell, I wonder what Ryo's response would have been if the yellow head scout ordered Ryo to kill the three street fighters as opposed to simply defeating them.
by Chaikilla
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

Graphical enhancements would be a nice bonus but all I want is the opportunity to have my progress from each game carry to the next. Capsule toys, scrolls, photos, moves, etc. I want to collect all of the boat capsule toys, I want the photo of Ryo and Nozomi where Ryo doesn't look pissed and I want to max my moves out before the events of Shenmue 2.

The boat chapter would be nice, too. :-
by Chaikilla
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

At least Chai's new model is an upgrade.

http://i.imgur.com/ix1z5zU.jpg

Which 100% highlights the absolute point of lighting in a game, which Suzuki-san toiled over as we have seen during the "making of" of Shenmue by NHK.

I respect and tolerate a lot what is said on these boards, but when I hear the likes of "fuck this", and "this isn't what I want" I can't help be reminded of the previous generation of videogaming where Joe public was not allowed to see this shit.

"But it's a Kickstarter Peter, it's a Kickstarter!!!!"

"Our hard earned money went into that game. It may not be much to you but it's a lot to me"

"Here's this small change ive made"

"Here's what I think the game should be"

These are not direct quotes, but it sums up this thread, and it absoltely disgusts me. The majority of you generally do. That's right, a staff member here said you DISGUST him with some of the things you post. Don't like it? Theres the door. Leave. Unless you cross a major line we won't ban you.

I shouldn't have to watch my mouth because I am a staff member here, and I won't. Fuck no I wont. Im a loud mouthed Irish cunt. But I mean it when I say a lot of you really disgust me. You apparently sat around waiting for this game to become a reality. Clamouring at any sort of scrap that came from Sega or any part time employee by Sega who uttered the words "SHENMUE". They would be the biggest topics with literally hundreds of people coming to the domain to see what the hell was going on. This was a dead forum, long before 500k and Team Yu really to the word going again. The franchise was dead!! Gone forever. Sonic and Sega All Star Racing was not Shenmue 3, but we rejoiced like it was.

Fast forward to today and what I've seen, again disgusts me. It's a complete representation of the internet age. My opinion is better than yours. This looks shit, everything is shit, life is shit. In the general media life is shit when we live in a world of privelidges. It's crazy to think that this is a videogame where I begged my mother to let me go on the Dreamcast Passport disc for an hour (at £1 a minute so an hour cost her £60 and I never heard a word of it to this day, nevermind we were a poor family) to trade toy capsules with "Shenmue fans".

It's honestly a joke you people call all of the new material some of the names I won't repeat and I would like to reassure you, you won't be banned from here. Heck, you won't receive a warning. What I will say is I personally will absolutely seriously question you as a fan of this game. You may be here to fuck about, you may be here as a "casual" gamer, or you may be here for the craic. But honestly, from the bottom of my heart, sometimes something needs to be said. Go fuck yourselves. Go find something better to spend your life energy on because you are not wasting my time, you are wasting your own. We can argue all day over models and logos, but it's clear as day that there are those who passionately and diplomatically debate over this franchise. Who cares for it like Sonic and Mario fans who care for theirs. Who Superman fans get tattoos of their own fictitious hero, and who follow their favourite band around the globe for. But then there and those who love a one post deal. "Fuk dis. Being bak dem DC models fam". Really?

I don't regret this post. I love the solidarity amongst out community at the moment, and we are about to embark on an event which stands as the beginning of a very long future for Shenmue. I respect everyone within this community and want to work together, but sometimes, shit just needs to be said, and going forward, I intend to say it.

I hope my post in particular didn't trigger this rant, I just want to post a mustached Chai.

The art style, while important, has never been the deciding factor in why I love Shenmue. I have always said that I will reserve all judgement until I have the finished product in my hands and that hasn't changed.
by Chaikilla
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

20 hours of side-quests ??

Shenmue had some side stuff to do, and different ways to tackle certain points/investigations, not much sidequests per se (even the duck racing is mostly a secret than a sidequest).

How do you think this side content will be implemented ?

This is more wishful thinking on my part but maybe certain conversation paths with Shenhua (or other characters for that matter) trigger flashbacks to certain events. For example, while talking about his trip to Hong kong, if Ryo picks a certain option it will trigger a flashback to the boat chapter, which we will then be allowed to play through. When I first heard about the character perspective system, I always (foolishly) imagined something like this.

40 hours of gameplay sounds great. Especially when you consider the fact that it won't be necessary for the game to load every time you enter a shop or a house.
by Chaikilla
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So... The New Trailer - Can we take away any story eleme

The muscle head fights Ryo in two different locations: outside Shenhua's house and here https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHbNSOkXYAAbi8B.jpg

His target seems to be Shenhua, as we see Ryo guarding her as muscly approaches her outside Shenhua's house. From this, I'm going to assume he's a chiyoumen member, assigned to capture Shenhua. Bailu village has a population of about 50 people and the community is pretty close-knit. Muscly being a petty thug from the village doesn't really make much sense. Seems to be that Shenhua already has a target on her head and this guy was tasked with capturing her.

I've always felt that Shenhua will be separated from Ryo (captured) at some point in the game and the quest of Shenmue 3 will largely focus on Ryo saving her.

Of course, it could just be a tech demo as Yokosuka has pointed out. I remember muscly being showcased in a Kickstarter update a few months back and there was some concept art for him and he was described as a "new character" though, so maybe he is relevant to the story.
by Chaikilla
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Chai

I'm probably really late on this but I just saw this image now. http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2016/12/15/shenmue-iii-2016-12-14-16-001-1481796914525_1280w.jpg (Pay close attention to the silhouette near the moon).

His pose is similar to the one in his concept art https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/shenmue/images/b/ba/Chai_Concept_Art.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091120213021

And in the Shenmue premiere http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9sd3NtjPfY&t=41m23s we see him loitering under a moonlit sky.

Chai will appear in Chobou?
by Chaikilla
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Unlike Shenmue II it won't use the Virtua engine."

The old engine afforded the player a lot of freedom, that's what I loved about it. I've played Yakuza and sleeping dogs and your options in a fight are limited, from what I can remember. It quickly became very bland and repetitive for me.

Don't get my wrong, you can spam your way through Shenmue's main story for the most part too (in fact, you probably wouldn't even have to use the dodge button until disc 3 of the second game) but the key word here is "can". You can also take the time to learn a variety of moves and fight your own way. Personally, I love using throw moves; machine gun fist, arm break fire, shoulder buster, etc. It feels really satisfying to pull these off in the heat of battle. My brother on the other hand didn't give a damn about the combat system and pretty mashed A until he met Baihu in disc 3 of Shenmue 2, to whom he lost to about 10 times in a row before he broke the disc in rage. It wouldn't be until the game came out on the original Xbox that I'd get the chance to finish it ;/

I'd love an advanced version of the old engine, if possible. If I could identify problems in the old engine, they would be as follows:

1. Dodging was a little overpowered. I'd like to see the A.I react and punish players for carelessly spamming dodges.

2. Melee battles made it hard to fight freely. By this I mean it was hard to choose moves with more difficult inputs because you'd often be interrupted before you could register them. This was largely down to a combination of the environments being too small to accommodate such battles and the A.I bum-rushing Ryo from every angle. I think it's telling how the best melee battle in the series is the 70 man battle. Why? Lots of space to fight and Ryo fights a few at a time.

One on one fights were handled well overall and allowed for much freedom of play. I didn't like the ring outs for the Rod and Greg fights, though, but that's another story.

I would love to see an animation change for moves as your skill increases, much like in Shenmue 1. Along with a chance to practice alone or with a sparring partner that you can actually hit (damn Jianmin ;/)
by Chaikilla
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Unlike Shenmue II it won't use the Virtua engine."

to whom he lost to about 10 times in a row before he broke the disc in rage. It wouldn't be until the game came out on the original Xbox that I'd get the chance to finish it ;/
Open or closed casket, or was it a cremation?

Well, Baihu gave my bro an old fashioned burial.

The disc, on the other hand, had an open casket. I guess we thought it'd work one day but it never did ;( he threw it across the room (and maybe stepped on it, I forgot) but it never physically broke in half or anything. Just a few scratches, lethal ones nonetheless.
by Chaikilla
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

http://i.imgur.com/PH6ycgo.jpg

I think she's meant to be the owner of the choubu inn. I'm getting serious Wendy Oldbag vibes from her https://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldfoo4hX461qcl8ah.gif

I'm really curious to know what Chai's role in the game is. I thought it would have been in a flashback but it seems like he appears in Choubu https://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1179/11799911/3170184-1.jpg
by Chaikilla
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gamekult interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom

Romance is a key theme? I know what we're all thinking here...Finally we'll see the softer side of Chai and Lan Di!
by Chaikilla
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favourite lines of dialogue in the game(s)?

"Yeahhhhhhlalalalahahhhhh heghhhhhh!"- Chai

"If I were Lan Di, you'd be dead by now"- Xiuying
by Chaikilla
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Possible that one final FREE sequence was cut?

Great post.

I've always found that strange, myself. The most optimal way of maximizing the amount of conversations you get is by making the day you say goodbye to Tom New year's day. That way, all of Ryo's friends will be in one place, outside the Yamanose shrine.

But even then, you have to choose between dashing for the bus and calling Nozomi, speaking to your friends or family, or just some random npc you like. But the point is that you can only really pick one path because you're pressed for time.
by Chaikilla
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

It's $50 a game and the rule is...
by Chaikilla
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Since Thursday, I've been away and I've had zero access to the internet.

I get home and I see this. Awesome.
by Chaikilla
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic