Need device so I can get files off an old internal HDD

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Need device so I can get files off an old internal HDD

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:54 pm

I need to get access to the files off my old HDD that was in my PC that stopped working when my graphics card went out (the hard drive is fine as far I know). The hard drive itself has these connectors but their female counter parts

I need something that connects from my hard drive to say USB so I can plug it in and it be readable preferably macbook compatible, but can probably swing windows xp, transfering stuff via my moms laptop or something. Does such a device even exist? Also not sure since the HDD itself was formatted for windows xp, that windows might be the only OS it will read on. REALLY need help with this, there are all kinds of goodies on that HDD and I need to get access to them! Any ideas?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Re: Need device so I can get files off an old internal HDD

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:36 am

If you have a computer now, you can just open it up and plug that one in, but make sure you set it to slave. Otherwise, just look online for a SATA to USB Cable.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Mr. Frozen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:43 pm

Something like this should do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Sata- ... B0012Z3MKW
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:14 am

oh nice, yeah that looks like it may do the trick. Thanks dude.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yukupo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 am

Yeah there's plenty of devices like that. The connector you showed is a molex power to sata power adapter so I'm not entirely sure if your harddrive is sata or ide. To be safe you should get a device that has an adapter for both.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Con ... 083&sr=1-2

It's not as sleek lookin' as the docking station but it does do both and is cheaper.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Well I was wrong about the hard drives connectors, I was only right about the 4 prong input, the other connector was from other hard drive in my old PC. Dont know if this will help but here are pics of the hard drive. Also the label says its an Enhanced IDE Hard Drive.

I will be able to get the rest of DS9 off this HDD if I can get it open, plus a ton of anime, a ton of DLed games (including DC games). Old pictures/projects. and I cant even remember what all else is on here. Plus what Yukio posted I think will work with my other HDD (which is my actual windows OS HDD) from my old PC which has the Molex wiring, plus the 4 prong one (I was getting that one confused with the one pictured). I can dig out my other hard drive and take pics if it will help. I might as well get something where I can grab files from both since they both have all kinds of stuff on them. Think im gonna go ahead and dig it out anyway. I think the link that yukio posted should work with it.

Only other thing im worried about is since both these hard drives are windows xp compatible, will these USB devices convert everything so it can bee seen on my Mac. There is alot of stuff on these I wont be able to get access to cause its windows specific but videos and pictures and the more general files I will be able to open.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:55 pm

I see an Xbox box! Wish I kept mine.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:29 pm

yeah still have my xbox... box haha, you can actually see my male kimono that my dad gave me its the checkered lookin thing folded up sittin my closet there.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:42 pm

I bet you put that on at nights paint face like a giesha and give yourself head. I would. Then again I'm a total creep.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:39 pm

thats me wearing it a few years back on halloween, people were calling me Samurai Jeff lol My dad got that while he was in japan in the 60s, its the real deal. and Yes real katana 8)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yukupo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:05 am

A mac should read the drive fine, I believe. But you might have a better chance if you wear that kimono while doing it.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Yukupo wrote:Yeah there's plenty of devices like that. The connector you showed is a molex power to sata power adapter so I'm not entirely sure if your harddrive is sata or ide. To be safe you should get a device that has an adapter for both.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Con ... 083&sr=1-2

It's not as sleek lookin' as the docking station but it does do both and is cheaper.

ordered. 8) was like 12 and some change shipped,if I would have bought the trigun DVD boxset there would have been no shipping costs on either buttt it would have been like $30 total. idk maybe i should have, oh well.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Return to Off Topic