What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby ys » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:25 am

I finally finished Trine. I had the game for years but kind of forgot about finishing it.
Just before that I played some Haunting Ground (Demento) and now I'm trying out some Grand Theft Auto Online.

Edit : I saw now that OL has a Haunting Ground avatar :nice!:

ys has received a thanks from: OL
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Man, I love that game. Really wish it were popular enough to warrant an HD version or something.

Finished Rage, so I'm gonna really start into Bioshock Infinite today (finally, right?). Already played the first half-hour or so, and was pretty well blown away by the visuals and presentation style of it, so I think I'm gonna enjoy myself.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Brothers a Tale of Two Sons - short but very enjoyable.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Demon's Souls. Again.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Axm, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:23 pm

I'm enjoying Bioshock Infinite as far as gameplay and aesthetics go, but I have to say, the story is kind of disappointing so far. Been playing for several hours now, and it all just seems like yet another completely unsubtle riff on bigotry and racism, paired with the modern-day hipster college student concepts about how America sucks and religion is evil.
Yay.
It's not unbearable or anything, it's just that these are all concepts that I'm generally pretty bored by these days. I was really expecting more out of the successor to a grand little sci-fi/horror landmark like Bioshock.

That being said, as far as I can tell I'm still only about 1/5 of the way through the game, so it might get more interesting eventually. I've only just been introduced to the "rebels" or whatever, and they already seem to be just as dickish as the big bad oppressive white folk, so maybe things aren't going to be quite as blatantly black & white (huh huh) as they've seemed so far. And the actual sci-fi stuff with Elizabeth and these space/time "tears" is really cool, so there's still potential in that.
And even if nothing else shapes up, at least the gameplay is fantastic so far. Hooking on to rails and dive-bombing shotgunners is a blast. Excellent platforming/gunplay.

OL has received a thanks from: Axm
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Downloading this FFXIII-3 Demo and...!

phpBB [video]

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Oh, didn't know that was up. Downloading it now as well.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:11 am

Wow I really enjoyed this new battle system. Retains the shift elements and feel yet removes a lot of the automation that made it tedious. Now its very involving and really a lot more on pace with other major rpg's these days.

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:42 am

Yeah, it's practically an action-RPG now. Felt good. Looked even better. I like it.
Now I'm just at an odd point, where I want to play the game, but I'm not sure if I need to play XIII-2 first or not.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Ri_oh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:52 am

Starting onto my GoG backlog. Need some help. What should i start with?

Beyond Good & Evil
Dreamfall
Amazon Queen
Ultima: Savage Empire
Shadowman
Chronicles of Riddick
Personal Nightmare
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh

Postby ys » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:09 am

OL wrote: Man, I love that game. Really wish it were popular enough to warrant an HD version or something.

It's very atmospheric and it reminded me of how much I miss these kind of games. Specifically the type of gameplay, the art style, surroundings etc.

ys has received a thanks from: OL
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Playing Shenmue 2x. Haven't playn it in a few years actually. This will be great :D
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:03 pm

^

:D

Finished it yesterday, also after a few years of not being able to play it.

The best game of all time. Sorry haters.
Since the release of the original Shenmue, no videogame dared to be what Shenmue II dared and achieve to be to a good degree.

Besides being an amazing journey through and through, and one that still delivers visual detail unmatched in it's realism, I will state that the cinematography of Shenmue II is also still unbeaten.
The Big Ox Building rooftop sequence and the whole of Guilin... Shivers down my spine, you guys, shivers down my spine, every single time. And that ending...

Destiny awaits!

ThyDarkAngel has received a thanks from: Axm
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Axm wrote: Playing Shenmue 2x. Haven't playn it in a few years actually. This will be great :D

What I wouldn't give to play 2x again. It's been years! On a guess I'd say 2009/2010?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:55 am

Just beat Bioshock Infinite. Have to say, my earlier assessments of the story were incredibly premature. After the sort of "world establishing" early chapters pass (which I'm still a little disappointed by; I'm not really sure why the bigotry aspect was such a focal point; feels like an unnecessary attention-grabber), everything turns to the main sci-fi plotline, and it ends up as something absolutely brilliant. Couldn't be happier with how mindfuckingly great the story ends up being, especially with all the little clues and whatnot scattered throughout the game. Sorted it out for myself first, but it was fun going online to look for further analyses. Been a loooong goddamn time since I've played a game that actually warrants that sort of action.
And that Songbird reference in freakin' Bioshock 1?
Insane.
If that was due to actual forethought on the part of the devs, then bravo. A million times, bravo.

I read through all the complaints I could find about the game right afterward (because I remembered people giving it shit, but didn't want to spoil it for myself as to why before getting to play it), and all it did was reinforce my disillusionment with good ol' negative-as-fuck internet "culture." People always search for faults first these days, no matter the product. It's disgusting. God forbid we go into an entertainment venture looking for enjoyment and actually focus on that which we find.

Reeeeaaaaallly would love to play Burial at Sea now, but I want to wait until the inevitable GOTY edition of Infinite comes out, which would more than likely include everything. I'm sure there'll be one eventually, game like this. I got Infinite for free on PS+, but I'll definitely go out and actually buy it if an edition like that comes along.
For now, I'll probably go get the Bioshock 1&2 Rapture collection. Still haven't played Bioshock 2. I know it's not supposed to be exactly the same level of greatness of the others, but I'd like to try it anyway.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming