Nintendo & Sony new systems to be capable of...

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Nintendo & Sony new systems to be capable of...

Postby The_Intruder » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:21 pm

I found this interesting news... It was posted today, so is new...

IBM has announced that they have developed a new supercomputer that is capable of proccessing 2 trillion calculations every single second...That's a lot of calculations! Anyway, IBM states that this new chip will be used in both Nintendo and Sony's next videogame consoles.

I don't know much about this kind of things... But it sounds like some powerful stuff... What does it means, about being capable of processing 2 trillion calculations every single second. Are they reffering to the polygons per scond..? What are this things?
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby T1249NTSCJØ » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:24 am

Here is a full article to those who are interested...

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6083656.html
T1249NTSCJØ
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jeff » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:14 pm

I do know that the new Sony and Nintendo sytems will be equal in power if there being made by the same company.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Re: Nintendo & Sony new systems to be capable of...

Postby Daemos » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:38 am

The_Intruder wrote:I found this interesting news... It was posted today, so is new...

IBM has announced that they have developed a new supercomputer that is capable of proccessing 2 trillion calculations every single second...That's a lot of calculations! Anyway, IBM states that this new chip will be used in both Nintendo and Sony's next videogame consoles.

I don't know much about this kind of things... But it sounds like some powerful stuff... What does it means, about being capable of processing 2 trillion calculations every single second. Are they reffering to the polygons per scond..? What are this things?

IBM's supercomputer core will not be in consoles. Please.
The core's dimensions are 1x1 meters. Ever seen a console THAT big? Thought not.

And calculations is not the same as polygons! x_x That is pure ignorance of how computers work.

Calculations is how many instructions the system is able to process. In that case, 2 trillion per second. A version of it to a console would NEVER go anywhere near 0.5 trillion (which is still god damn fast). An instruction can very well be a simple sum of two values, or jumping to somewhere else in the code, etc. It is not related to graphics! Although, these will of course benefit from the extra raw capability.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Amin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:37 am

I didnt think ibm were working on ps3. I thought ibm were making a chip for nintendo and microsoft for there next gen consoles and sony were making there own with the help of toshiba.
Amin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:37 pm

...Yeah, Sony sucks.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Daemos » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:39 pm

IBM is not working on PS3.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:31 pm

They have their hand in all three next consoles, according to Kenshiro who knows his stuff, but obviously they'll only pull the best stuff out the bag for MS...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Daemos » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:38 pm

Not sure. Usually who gives the best stuff to MS is Intel.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:01 pm

But any company including IBM will want to be on MS's "good side" by giving them the best of stuff...I had forgotten (D'oh!) about Intel and MS though...the nearly-a-PC aspect of the Xbox is one of its greatest attractions too IMO...we'll have to see what the IBM chip is like...(Probably made to easily run PC stuff I'd guess, the Sony and Nintendo ones won't be, just a guess...)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby kenshiro » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:13 am

We'll just have to wait and see which console is the most powerful. But just b/c IBM is involved with all 3 doesn't mean you are going to get the same or "similar" chips in all of them. Each company has different priorities:

Sony is codeveloping the "cell" with IBM and Toshiba and targeting it for multiple applications, not just for gaming.

MS will design the chip with some IBM input and it will be primarily for gaming.

Nintendo needs cheap and "relatively" powerful chip....and fast since it wants to beat the other 2 launch dates.

So by going this, I think Nintendo will come out first with their console, but it will be the weakest. And going by Sony's past history of "overhype", I don't think the CELL will be the most powerful. Remember what they said about the PS2 before it came out? A game console that is like a supercomputer that can do 75 million polys. Hmm.......I'm still waiting for those 75 million polys.......
kenshiro
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to General Gaming