Halo

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Microsoft Confirms That Bungie Is Developing New ‘Halo’

Postby ToL » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:39 pm

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/ ... -new-halo/

And before you ask, no, it's not 'Halo Wars' or the announced Peter Jackson project. It's a whole new title. By Bungie.

I loved the Halo trilogy and thought it went out with a bang... But would love to see more.
ToL
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:01 pm

This will cause a huge chain-reaction of yawns throughout the world.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby FRASIER » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:14 pm

so a trilogy of new franchises? FUCK OFF
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JAPANFAN » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:46 pm

Wasn't the reason Bungie and Microsoft parted ways so that Bungie could have more freedom? Freedom to develop games other than HALO?
JAPANFAN
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 pm

Word is it wont been any of the old characters or even a FPS? But would have liked something totally new from them.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Satoshi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:45 pm

I don't mind another Halo, as long as it's grittier and, uh, better.
Satoshi
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Fist of Legend » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:56 pm

they completely lost me with the third one. hated the ending, hated the rather arbitrary killing off of every vaguely major character they could think of, and especially hated the annoying and generic "wander round inside a living spaceship thing that actually just looks like every other cave level ever made" bit that went on for ages too.
Fist of Legend
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:37 pm

The King in Yellow wrote:This will cause a huge chain-reaction of yawns throughout the world.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Spoonfan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:24 am

Hell yeah, Halo is my favourite series outside Shenmue. It wouldn't be the same if they made a new one without Bungie, so this is great news as far as I'm concerned. :nice!:
Spoonfan
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:06 am

paperghost wrote:they completely lost me with the third one. hated the ending, hated the rather arbitrary killing off of every vaguely major character they could think of, and especially hated the annoying and generic "wander round inside a living spaceship thing that actually just looks like every other cave level ever made" bit that went on for ages too.

After the first Halo, they had a great opportunity to expand the universe and develop the story. They completely botched it, but fanboys will argue "but they have the books!!!!" Different medium, and the books don't play into the story at all, like the Mass Effect book did.

Anyways, I heard the game is going to be a squad based shooter based on UNSC forces, no master chief.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby ToL » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:19 am

The 3rd game wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of you make it out to be. Infact I found it the most enjoyable of the trilogy.

Wasn't the reason Bungie and Microsoft parted ways so that Bungie could have more freedom? Freedom to develop games other than HALO?

It was indeed. Anyway, who knows, Bungie may employ more staff and have a go at making more than one game at a time, paving way for new IPs. It was inevitable given the success of Halo 3 that a new game wouldn't be far off anyway. MS have obviously lined Bungie's pocket with more Gold to capitilize on that success.

It wouldn't be the same if they made a new one without Bungie, so this is great news as far as I'm concerned

Amen to that.
ToL
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Fist of Legend » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:59 am

TiredofLife wrote:The 3rd game wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of you make it out to be. Infact I found it the most enjoyable of the trilogy.

it was enjoyable, no doubt about that - but in terms of resolving the story they'd laid out, it seemed they had no idea what to do with it and threw in utterly generic resolutions for everything. "finish the fight", they told us, and dazzled everyone with absolutely epic trailers depicting the biggest slam-bang final fight shootout of all time.

what we got, was a game that dumps you into a generic jungle shootout and just plods along from there through a series of dazzling but rather aimless shootouts that didn't even come close to the grand finale promised by the devs.

as for that last car driving level abomination, it was more like marble madness with cars than what should have been an epic resolution to one of the biggest series in years.

Tomato Convenience Store wrote:After the first Halo, they had a great opportunity to expand the universe and develop the story. They completely botched it, but fanboys will argue "but they have the books!!!!" Different medium, and the books don't play into the story at all, like the Mass Effect book did.

Anyways, I heard the game is going to be a squad based shooter based on UNSC forces, no master chief.

If theres no master chief, then I might be interested in checking it out. Otherwise, I'm definitely gonna give it a miss. I love the mass effect books too, the only other game related books i can think of that were any good were the resident evil ones by s.d. perry.
Fist of Legend
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Plus they shafted Arbiter and didn't show much of Guilty Spark, my favorite characters from the first two games.

Even though I hated the first and thought the second game was okay, I thought the stories for those two characters were interesting enough to keep playing. But nooooooooooo, everyone whined and pissed in the dev's face cause they wanted to be chief the entire time.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Got to admit, it really pissed me off when they killed off Johnson and Guilty Spark. Those two were the only interesting characters in the series, really. I also noticed how Master Chief had quite a bit of dialogue i nthe first game, but hardly speaks at all in the sequels. Not to mention how much the cutscenes were trimmed down from the first one. I loved the first one, hated the second and thought that the third was above average. The online mode more than made up for the comeuppances however.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Only Child » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:55 pm

People actually care about the story in the Halo trilogy? The singleplayer in all three was awful I thought (four-player co-op in Halo 3 was excellent, though) but the multiplayer is where the game really shines. So much fun having an epic Big Team Battle with Banshees dogfighting in the skies, people driving around in Warthogs while the troops on the ground blast at each other, I love it.

Not only that, but the Theatre mode that lets you watch every single match you've played (campaign or multiplayer), take photos, upload them to Bungie's servers, the Forge mode which lets you customise all the maps, and the fairly regular map updates make it hard for me to believe that people can say Halo 3 is a letdown in any way, unless you were expecting a great, well-told story, in which case I'd say, 'What the hell were you thinking?' The stories have been crap in all three.

I wouldn't be suprised if the new Halo was something like Halo Tournament where it was multiplayer only, with no campaign mode at all. I really think this is one game where removing single-player really wouldn't make much of a difference to the quality or the sales.
Last edited by Only Child on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only Child
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming