This or That: Game Edition

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: This or That: Game Edition

Postby OL » Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Star Ocean or Tales of Phantasia

Probably a predictable answer from me, but I'd say Tales of Phantasia. The original Star Ocean is fantastic (I want to stress that... fantastic), and honestly it's pretty much on the same level of quality as Phantasia. But I've always felt that Phantasia has a special "classiness" to it from an aesthetic standpoint, kind of like the Ys series in a way. It doesn't so much feel like a "pop" product, but rather something older, something a little more classic. And I love when I get that feeling off of a game.
Not to mention that a journey across time to wreak vengeance on a seemingly god-like villain comes off as a bit more epic than a journey back in time to cure someone who's turned to stone (I know there's more to Star Ocean's story than that, I'm just going by the basics here).

Dirge of Cerberus of The 3rd Birthday? :devillaugh:
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Easy: 3rd Birthday since it was actually fun to play. Dirge of Cerberus is easily the worst game I have ever played from Square.

Hitman or Splinter Cell
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Wed May 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Splinter Cell
Its a thinking mans game. Also that voice makes me arroused.

Soul Calibur or Tekken
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Wed May 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Tekken. Mostly out of nostalgia. I haven't played the series any time recently, but my memories of the first two games are about as fond as can be.

Xenogears or Chrono Trigger?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Not cleared either of them yet, but Chrono Trigger was more worthy of the hype, imo. It's weird since CT actually felt more fresh than Gears, despite being made way beforehand. I much preferred the battle system in Chrono Trigger too, and the music.

Whilst we're on the topic:

Chrono Cross vs Xenosaga
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed May 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Chrono Cross has a lot of good shit in it but I just don't have as much fun playing it as I do Xenosaga. I feel like its just a story and I can enjoy it while Chrono Cross kind of makes me put in work (ie I like playing as Glenn and the battle system requires me to relearn it every few years)

on a side note, every day 3rd birthday exists i feel more angered by it. I keep thinking I'm being to hard on it, try playing it and then want to break it. The implications of its creation along with the game itself just angers me especially with the major issues of that game being so prominent in like everything these days.

Underrated PSX RPGs

Beyond the Beyond or Legend of Legaia
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Thu May 09, 2013 12:07 pm

A friend of mine bought Legaia when I was a kid, and I remember watching him play through a chunk of it while I was over at his house. I thought it was cool. Always wanted to buy it myself at some point.
I've never played Beyond the Beyond, but from what I've looked up on it, I'd still say Legaia is more appealing to me. BtB just seemed kind of "meh".

Insane super-Japanese-y games:
Mister Mosquito or Incredible Crisis?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Mon May 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Mister Mosquito! I adore that game. Stuff like that and Roomania 203 always hold a special spot in my heart.

MvC2 or CvS2
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Rakim » Mon May 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Capcom vs SNK

I played that one more recently on Dreamcast and it was pretty badass. Also I still really want to play Roomania 203 after reading about it in a dreamcast magazine a thousand years ago. Looks so awesomely weird.

Last Window or 999?
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 pm

999, without a doubt. I haven't gone far in Last Window, but I have in Hotel Dusk, and the whole style of it just doesn't attribute itself to the kind of craziness inherent in the story for 999.
999 has one of the best stories I've experienced in gaming. So there ya go.

Best giant robot games on their respective systems:
Ranger X (Genesis) or Cybernator (SNES)?

OL has received a thanks from: Rakim
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Ranger X because it's fucking ZOE on Genesis and I need ZOE but fuck it Ranger X is badfuckingass and I masturbate to it. Yes quote me on that and put it in your sig or something.

Blue Dragon or Renosance of Fate
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Rakim » Mon May 13, 2013 1:22 pm

OL wrote: 999, without a doubt. I haven't gone far in Last Window, but I have in Hotel Dusk, and the whole style of it just doesn't attribute itself to the kind of craziness inherent in the story for 999.
999 has one of the best stories I've experienced in gaming. So there ya go.

Best giant robot games on their respective systems:
Ranger X (Genesis) or Cybernator (SNES)?

I haven't played either of those games yet so I was using this as a kind of test to see which I should pop in first. I'm a little excited now to see some of this craziness you speak of.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Mon May 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Resonance of Fate. Because it's so much more wildly original (there's nothing else quite like it), whereas Blue Dragon just strikes me as yet another by-the-book JRPG.

*EDIT:
Rakim wrote:I haven't played either of those games yet so I was using this as a kind of test to see which I should pop in first. I'm a little excited now to see some of this craziness you speak of.

Oh, it gets crazy alright. Just bear in mind that the game is primarily story scenes, with puzzle rooms sprinkled in, and also that you have to beat the game more than once to get the full story. It's okay though, because you can basically skip the story scenes you've already seen on subsequent playthroughs, and alternate answers you haven't tried are highlighted (it's a nice little way of making sure you try out every ending and get the full story).*

Obscure ninja sidescrollers:
Hagane (SNES) or Legend of Kage 2 (DS)?

OL has received a thanks from: Axm
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 13, 2013 1:29 pm

OL wrote:

Obscure ninja sidescrollers:
Hagane (SNES) or Legend of Kage 2 (DS)?

:lol: Is this even fair? Like 4 people on the planet have played Hagane because it's impossible to get ahold of these days. Cost as much as PDS fort eh cart alone
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Emulators are free. And I'm sure plenty of people on here have a much more lenient stance on "digital vs. physical" usage. And isn't it on the Virtual Console?

Edit: Also, nananana boo boo, stick your head in doo doo, I own Hagane. :king:
Just felt like rubbing that in some more.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming