Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby OL » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:27 pm

Oh right, that's another one I have preordered, Nobunaga's Ambition.
Yeah, I hope it does well enough to warrant more classic-style Koei stuff coming westward. Would love a new Uncharted Waters, actually.
I'm not too worried about NA doing badly though. For whatever reason, KoeiTecmo seem to have some sort of knack for selling their games in the west. Can't think of any other reason they're able to bring such niche titles over so often. They must be doing something right.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:56 pm

Just got back home from California and picked these up because the Japanese versions didnt have English support.
Especially excited to finally play the FF15 demo.

Axm has received 4 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, myshtuff, OL, Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby myshtuff » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:32 pm

Akibastrip looks interesting.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:42 am

OL wrote: Oh right, that's another one I have preordered, Nobunaga's Ambition.
Yeah, I hope it does well enough to warrant more classic-style Koei stuff coming westward. Would love a new Uncharted Waters, actually.
I'm not too worried about NA doing badly though. For whatever reason, KoeiTecmo seem to have some sort of knack for selling their games in the west. Can't think of any other reason they're able to bring such niche titles over so often. They must be doing something right.

Wait, what? They rereleased Nobunaga's Ambition? It's no Romance of the Three Kingdoms 1, but that's still a pretty damn solid Strategy game.

Omg I would kill for a Uncharted Waters 3, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons was so great, I still play it today, every year.

To topic: I just found the best condition Pal Version of Shenmue 2 I ever saw, so I just had to pick that up, I'm sick of looking at the usual weathered Pal Box(the guy who owned it, played it only once, and put it in a plastic bin in the closet, where it remained for 14 years, and boy does it show, the wax layer is fully intact, and there Isn't even normal shelf ware, only very minor factory scuff. Considering the super cheap quality of the Pal version's packaging, It's definitely amazing to stumble upon one in such prestine condition). Sucks that then Shenmue 3 announcement caused so much hype, that I ended up paying alittle more then I wanted to, but considering how great the condition is, I still got a pretty good deal.

I always was meaning to play Record of Lodoss War for the Dreamcast(I'm a pretty big fan of the anime, although the story telling structure of the anime hasn't aged well, I'm still fond of the anime, and characters, plus I love Diablo clones anyway, so yea), so I bought that too.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:05 am

I just purchased the MGS 2 & 3 HD remakes on Xbox 360. I've started MGS 2 and so far its good. The controls are a big wonky especially while in cover. So far I've made it off the freighter and I have no idea what just happened with the Ocelot guy. I never played MGS 1 or any of the others so I don't understand anything about Metal Gears, Shadow Moses, Raiden or any of that other stuff. Is there a synopsis I can read anywhere without spoiling any of the other games(I don't care about spoiling 1 because I doubt I'll play it)?

EDIT
What confuses me the most is Snake's age in the art of the various games. Obviously I've never played a MGS game, but just looking at the art of Snake from the games it looks like he's old in TPP which takes place in 1984 but young in SOL which takes place in 2007/2009. Why is that?
Last edited by elfshadowreaper on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:11 am

elfshadowreaper wrote:I just purchased the MGS 2 & 3 HD remakes on Xbox 360. I've started MGS 2 and so far its good. The controls are a big wonky especially while in cover. So far I've made it off the freighter and I have no idea what just happened with the Ocelot guy. I never played MGS 1 or any of the others so I don't understand anything about Metal Gears, Shadow Moses, Raiden or any of that other stuff. Is there a synopsis I can read anywhere without spoiling any of the other games(I don't care about spoiling 1 because I doubt I'll play it)?

What's stopping you from playing the first? It's considered by many to be the best in the series.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:13 am

south carmain wrote:
elfshadowreaper wrote:I just purchased the MGS 2 & 3 HD remakes on Xbox 360. I've started MGS 2 and so far its good. The controls are a big wonky especially while in cover. So far I've made it off the freighter and I have no idea what just happened with the Ocelot guy. I never played MGS 1 or any of the others so I don't understand anything about Metal Gears, Shadow Moses, Raiden or any of that other stuff. Is there a synopsis I can read anywhere without spoiling any of the other games(I don't care about spoiling 1 because I doubt I'll play it)?

What's stopping you from playing the first? It's considered by many to be the best in the series.

I guess the availability and I just don't want to be bothered with hooking up my PS2. I could probably order the game. So you think I should start with MGS 1? I really wish I could download a release of it but I don't have a PS3.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:18 am

Yeah you should play it. It's a given to be honest.

elfshadowreaper wrote: EDIT
What confuses me the most is Snake's age in the art of the various games. Obviously I've never played a MGS game, but just looking at the art of Snake from the games it looks like he's old in TPP which takes place in 1984 but young in SOL which takes place in 2007/2009. Why is that?

It's not snake in MGS3 or TPP
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 am

south carmain wrote: Yeah you should play it. It's a given to be honest.

elfshadowreaper wrote: EDIT

It's not snake in MGS3 or TPP

Ok, that's weird. I assumed that was Snake. Anyway, what are the entries I have to play? So far I've got MGS 2 and 3.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:39 am

Well they are all part of the same story so all of the main ones (1, 2, 3, 4, peace walker, The phantom pain)

In terms of chronology though they go 3>PW>TPP>1>2>4.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:55 am

He'd also better play Ground Zeroes before The Phantom Pain since that's MGS5's prologue, so's to speak. MGS2 will lose you since you've not played MGS1, tbh.

There's also Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 (which should be in the HD edition of 3, if i recall correctly), but MGS1 does a really good job of summarising the events of those games.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 pm

lawl
I think I've seen the subject of "how should I approach the MGS series?" on here about a thousand times.
But yeah, just to back it up, MGS1 is essential. I think for most people, it was the first MG game they ever played, and like Henry said, it really does do an amazing job of bringing you up to speed on anything that happened before it (i.e. Metal Gear 1 and 2 on MSX; I've still never played them entirely, because MGS1 did so well in covering everything that's important).
I'd say just start there and follow the games in the order they came out. MGS1->2->3->4->Peace Walker->Ground Zeroes->Phantom Pain. If you have a PS3, the MGS Legacy Collection is absolutely amazing, and comes with a download code for MGS1.
Some will tell you to play them chronologically as the story goes (starting with MGS3, which is in the 60s), but that makes no sense to me; they weren't written in that order, so it would ruin certain story reveals from other games.
Just rest assured, if you play the games in their proper order, the story makes plenty of sense (until MGS4, but that's kind of a wacky fluke anyway).

Zoltor wrote:Wait, what? They rereleased Nobunaga's Ambition? It's no Romance of the Three Kingdoms 1, but that's still a pretty damn solid Strategy game.

Not so much a re-release, as an entirely new entry in the series for PS4. But the basics are still the same as they ever were, so I consider it "classic-style" Koei stuff. The whole NA series is pretty much the same basic scenario anyway, just updated with new features and graphics as they go. Here's the box art:

OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:18 pm

OL wrote: lawl
I think I've seen the subject of "how should I approach the MGS series?" on here about a thousand times.
But yeah, just to back it up, MGS1 is essential. I think for most people, it was the first MG game they ever played, and like Henry said, it really does do an amazing job of bringing you up to speed on anything that happened before it (i.e. Metal Gear 1 and 2 on MSX; I've still never played them entirely, because MGS1 did so well in covering everything that's important).
I'd say just start there and follow the games in the order they came out. MGS1->2->3->4->Peace Walker->Ground Zeroes->Phantom Pain. If you have a PS3, the MGS Legacy Collection is absolutely amazing, and comes with a download code for MGS1.
Some will tell you to play them chronologically as the story goes (starting with MGS3, which is in the 60s), but that makes no sense to me; they weren't written in that order, so it would ruin certain story reveals from other games.
Just rest assured, if you play the games in their proper order, the story makes plenty of sense (until MGS4, but that's kind of a wacky fluke anyway).

Zoltor wrote:Wait, what? They rereleased Nobunaga's Ambition? It's no Romance of the Three Kingdoms 1, but that's still a pretty damn solid Strategy game.

Not so much a re-release, as an entirely new entry in the series for PS4. But the basics are still the same as they ever were, so I consider it "classic-style" Koei stuff. The whole NA series is pretty much the same basic scenario anyway, just updated with new features and graphics as they go. Here's the box art:

Wow holy crap, that's amazing. How the hell did news of such a release, not go viral(especially with the PS4's lackluster library, that will remain so until 2017).

(Checks Wikipedia) No Wikipedia page, that's odd(checks gamefaqs), oh It's coming out tomorrow lol, and woot woot, It's actually getting physical releases at that.

Well I suppose I'm going to have to pick this up when I get a PS 4 then :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:34 pm

:???:
bear grylls man!
wtf are you thinking?! ](*,)
got around to opening another package, pleased to find this:
Code: Select all
http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/9/4/5/97945_front.jpg
all complete.
thanks a lot miku for yet another FrEeBiE! :mrgreen:
all there, looks like it hasn't been spun up in the drive, just passed cleanrip/dump tests and measures up to redump.org retail catalogues...thanks to it's inbuilt online live dat table acquisition... :P
wasn't aware of the game, and there's a conduit 2...meaning i'm not allowing myself to fully play it til i have the second part, got a thing for saga completion. (SHENMUE...HINT! :mad: )
it does seem to be a tried plot though, a 'dead space' feel imo so far, not that i have an issue with that. (great game series, and the animated film, and the combo-style animation later with peter woodward voicing in it. galen never left the quadrant! :lol: )
sadly, it's a wiimote and nunchuck forcer is the version i have, part two of the story allows for classic pad usage too.
that will have to be got at some point. ;-)
again, thanks a lot sweet- :heart: i know you read shit on webz, so i did what you wanted, shouted out.
worth it!
wouldn't have remotely anywhere near the amount of gear if it wasn't for folks like you and other friends.
oh, i've setup autodl-irssi on your seedbox, when you check your email, just load the attached torrent header file and you'll be getting the dump of the disk DIRECT to your primary computer in three formats:
1, standard iso. (unarchived/raw/verified)
2, wbfs convert. (archive)
3, wia convert. (archive)
wia works for usb loaders that account for it, and the former two work the same and hardmods/odes, like wode jukebox. (wia doesn't atm though. please keep that in mind.) 8)
now to smoke some shit! :mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:58 am

Or what I would be playing if GAME's shit courier service didn't lose it. A reminder not to bother buying discs again.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming