PS3 Slim...slim slimest slim jim....

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: PS3 Slim...slim slimest slim jim....

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:10 am

That's a huge difference. There's rumours the new model will come with as little as a 16GB and a much larger 500GB HDD built-in alongside the usual 320GB. Looks like the 160GB model is going away.

With such a dramatic cut in HDD space with a 16GB model that could be a huge-seller in price terms. At the same time could also be a crippling model considering the amount of games that require big installs. I think GT5 is atleast 20GB.

Xbox 360 launched years ago with a bog-standard 16GB (13GB useable) but times were different then. Looks like Sony is going for a big Christmas seller with the 'core' model..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:50 pm

I hope thats not the final design?

Ill stick with my fat PS3 as despite its odd noises and the odd moment of fans going into over drive it still works
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:31 pm

PS2 was ugly also . I want this version because it should be more reliable interms of not stealing my disc and cost less. Looks. Why should that really matter? Also these are just FCC type pic. May not becoming of the system in better angles and lighting.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby south carmain » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Still looks pretty big to me, i doubt they will have a hdd of 16gb as most ps3 games don' t give you the choice to install them like the xbox does, it would force people to keep on delting game data and reinstalling it when switching between games, i guess if it has a significant price drop then it's justifiable but comming closer to the next gen for marketing purposes i don't think it would be a good choice of sony making peoples last memory of the ps3 one that forces them to wait 10-15 minutes between games as the reinstall something for the 6th time, it's pretty inconveniant for psn also, you can't exactly erase those to let space for new games as you only have a 2 time download limit and then it's gone, you can never play the game you purchased without paying for it again

Maybe it seems like a good idea now but this could be the decision maker for quite a few people when it comes to chosing between the ps4, wii u and the mext xbox
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:55 pm

How does that seem big? It's like the size of a Wii U now
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:00 pm

I overlooked the comparison, i guess it's smaller than i thought, looks like the size of the first ps2

Edit: actually after comparing that image to my ps3 slim it is still pretty big, bigger than the original ps2 anyway
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Here's a photoshop render someone made for the new model. My guess is the wireless activity light won't reappear after being taken out of the revised Slim. Also no power button for some reason?

Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:09 pm

has to be there. logo maybe
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Must be powered on by the eject button or when the controller is switched on.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Maybe it opens manually and that isnt an eject button but the power button?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Hard to say. Probably be revealed at GamesCon next month like the first redesign. We've been living with the current Slim since 2009, so obviously there must be cheaper, smaller parts available now than 3 years ago. I doubt Sony's only cost-cutting option was to remove some LED lights and paint on the PlayStation logo for current Slim's..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Are we sure that's even an ejection button. The render is just a guess. The top could be a puch down mechanism and that button is the power.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:That's a huge difference. There's rumours the new model will come with as little as a 16GB and a much larger 500GB HDD built-in alongside the usual 320GB. Looks like the 160GB model is going away.

With such a dramatic cut in HDD space with a 16GB model that could be a huge-seller in price terms. At the same time could also be a crippling model considering the amount of games that require big installs. I think GT5 is atleast 20GB.

Xbox 360 launched years ago with a bog-standard 16GB (13GB useable) but times were different then. Looks like Sony is going for a big Christmas seller with the 'core' model..

500gb seems a stretch to me. The floods have price gouged harddrive prices like god damned crazy. That would work in contrary to Sony's goal of trimming costs with a new release. 320gb might be more reasonable. The flip side is that they go even smaller than that, presenting the 3rd incarnation of the system as a stripped down model for non-hardcore gamers.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:53 pm

The link says 16GB,250GB then 500GB
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Bluecast wrote:Are we sure that's even an ejection button. The render is just a guess. The top could be a puch down mechanism and that button is the power.

I never noticed the button on the photos until I saw that render. I can kinda make it out now I know it's there. Find out soon enough with all these leaks anyway :lol:

Sonikku wrote:]500gb seems a stretch to me. The floods have price gouged harddrive prices like god damned crazy. That would work in contrary to Sony's goal of trimming costs with a new release. 320gb might be more reasonable. The flip side is that they go even smaller than that, presenting the 3rd incarnation of the system as a stripped down model for non-hardcore gamers.[/color]

Could work both ways. Sony will get the costs subsidised since they'd buy in such bulk orders directly.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming