Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear series

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:56 am

Kenny wrote:
Yeah, i'm definitely on the other side of the fence. I like it best in MGS1 where the crazy and the realism of it all blended together seamlessly. It stood on the fine line of plausible and implausible, which made for a more dramatic experience.

Once the talking arms got introduced, I was just too distracted by all the little things Kojima put in there cause I felt he was trying way too hard to impress me with his insights on pop culture and his twists. I don't like it when they're putting up a grand show and putting lectures in there when all i'm asking for is a quality experience with traditional ups and downs. Snake Eater was definitely back to basics on alot of ways but really goofy enemies like "The Pain" almost ruined it. But the absurdity/realism aspects like The Boss, Shagohad, and Volgin were amazing.

Yeah I can totally understand this view. I don't know, for me, it's not so much important that I find Kojima's worlds plausible per say, it's more the fact they are so incredibly detailed and fleshed out that I like, even when they are totally unrealistic and have obese bomb experts zipping around on roller skates :lol: . I also just think Kojima is a creative who has his own distinct brand of outrageous fiction, and is constantly trying to push the envelope in one way or another, whether it's chucking a ninja or a vampire into the plot, or making some kind of existential forth wall breaking commentary. I know what you mean, the games definitely ramped up the madness after MGS1, but I think it's that wild eyed ambition that makes Kojima stand out. He's not afraid to make a game that simultaneously takes itself incredibly seriously in complete earnest, and just has a really good laugh at itself. Either that, or maybe Kojima is just laughing at all of us :lol:

On the flipside is a game like peace walker. Compared to most games it's plot is still pretty barmy and epic, but I don't know, I did enjoy it's story, it's just that it lacked the usual wild creativity and ambition that Kojima puts into them. So, it felt like it was missing a certain ingredient ( definitely not helped by the lack of good boss characters). Thankfully PW's gameplay more than made up for it.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:24 am

Deta wrote: Just noticed the horn on Big Boss forehead. :|

It's debris. Could be the case of his coma after Outer Haven's base exploded.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 am

I'm hoping that song by Garbage in the trailer is the actual theme song of MGS5. Sooo good.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:48 am

Two and a half hours later and I'm up to date with Peace Walker's story.. Usual Kojima rubbish near the end.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/kojim ... t-hayters/

Kojima now confirms that they are two different games and that yes Hayter will not return for MGS5 and casting someone else.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:43 pm

From what I understand, the main character is Big Boss. Big Boss was played by Richard Doyle in MGS4, so they'll either get him or someone else to do the voice for that character for 5. Kind of how they decided to let Patric Zimmerman do both Liquid and Ocelot in MGS4 rather than split the roles between him and Cam Clarke in MGS2.

I really like in the gameplay trailer that little kid with the straight jacket (with the breathing mask sound) could in fact be a young Psycho Mantis.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Cam is one of my fave gaming VA but I could not imagine him being in Rising. It would come off as awkward. Glad they re cast him.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Ground Zeroes, the prologue, will come first, Kojima said, and will introduce players to the gameplay "on a smaller scale."

Thought so. It'll probably be a nice little bit of extra cash for Konami.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Confirmed: Hayter is not playing Snake and it's Kojima himself who has decided this.

Last night, during a televised interview on GameTrailers, Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima confirmed that a new voice actor will be playing the main character of Metal Gear Solid V.

Talking to host Geoff Keighley, Kojima said the following: “What we’re trying to accomplish is [to] recreate the Metal Gear series. It’s a new type of Metal Gear game and we wanted to have this reflected in the voice actor as well.” When Keighley asked about who would be doing the main character's voice, Kojima said he couldn't say at this time.

With this confirmation, Hayter’s exit appears to confirm that this is a creative decision and not part of any promotional misdirection from Kojima. Fan disappointment at the prospect of a Hayter-less Metal Gear has sparked a petition demanding the return of the actor/screenwriter to Metal Gear. But, with the game production already underway, getting Hayter back into the recording booth seems increasingly unlikely. And if Kojima’s pulling another trick on the fans, he’s going pretty far with this one.

Video interview in link.

http://kotaku.com/recreate-mgs-serie-so ... -463079029

Personally, I'm glad Hayter isn't playing Big Boss, since I just don't think the guy can play an evil character like that. Kojima obviously wants us to begin seeing another side to Big Boss, that's what I think the reason behind this is. If it is Big Boss's descent into madness, then that could be the reason for the VA change. Besides, Hayter hasn't been good since 3, imo. It's been a steady decline since 1.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:52 pm

That doesn't make sense. If they wanted a different voice actor for Big Boss, then why is the Japanese voice actor for Boss still the same as the last installments?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Probably because he's good, whereas Hayter just isn't anymore?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:05 pm

:P Henry bud I posted that already a couple posts above yours but whatever. I guess Hayter is now just going to be saying "EA SPORTS It's in the game"
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Probably because he's good, whereas Hayter just isn't anymore?

I dunno man, I don't buy it. People will and are clearly outraged, so Hayter must be doing something right. I would have never replaced him. The amount of disapproval shows me that if that is the case (not being good enough) then there's clearly a lot of people disagreeing with Kojima. This is still making me scratch my head.

EDIT: http://www.explosion.com/26543/snake-ja ... e-in-mgs5/

Theres the link. So now they definitely have to explain themselves.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:02 am

Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:15 pm

From David's Twitter:

METAL GEAR V

By

David Hayter

So,

Here’s a recap of events:

I have been up in Toronto, for the past eight months, directing my first film, (WOLVES -- 2013, TF1/COPPERHEART). On the December break, I came home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording sessions for MG:V were being put together.

But I didn’t hear anything about whether I’d be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn’t be needing me" on this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

And that was it.

I drove home through Laurel Canyon, bummed, and thinking about Snake.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you’re making an impact.

And I love doing it.

In 1998, I tried to do come up with a voice which epitomized the kind of worn, put-upon, genetically-engineered clone-soldier that I saw Snake to be. Over time, as the games became more stunning and visually sophisticated, I tried to transition that initial voice into the increasingly real environments in which Snake found himself. My level of success is up to you, but any perceived deficiencies were not for lack of hard work. I have dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into creating a compelling character, capable of expressing the myriad emotional, physical and psychological hurdles that Snake has to face.

Anyway, now it’s been fifteen years, nine games, and an enormous blast to undertake.

If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else’s voice coming from Snake’s battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest.

But the truth is -- it’s not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that’s fair.

And I’ll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level.

But I didn’t want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them.

And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much.

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

April 1, 2013

Here's to hoping it's an april fools joke

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: Axm
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"