Final Fantasy

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Final Fantasy & Square RPG's

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:52 pm

No idea, I'm waiting on the PS3 release.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Thats like waiting for the PS3 release of Last Remnant...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yukupo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Yeah those FFXIV 2.0 shots are very nice. It's crazy how much improved it looks. I just *gasp* purchased ffxiv yesterday. I'm not playing it just yet but I wanted to play it and try it out in the old world before the revamp. But my friends were going on about how its actually playable now instead of how it was at release so I decided to finally jump in.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tb43ZmG6bE[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Tuffty » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Trailer for Bravely Default

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcf-7QZMV4[/youtube]
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Hiromichi Tanaka left Square. Health Problems. Eye Cancer
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:18 am

No Final Fantasy VII Remake Until Original Has Been Topped -- Square Enix CEO

Wada admits that current FF games aren't up to VII's quality.

During the Q&A session of the company's annual shareholder's briefing (transcribed here), Wada was asked the expected question about the much wanted remake. His response was something to the effect of, we'll make a Final Fantasy VII remake once we've made a Final Fantasy game that exceeds the quality of FFVII.

If you get the feeling that this statement belittles Square Enix's current development prowess, you're pretty much spot on. Wada admitted that at present, the company is not making Final Fantasy games that exceed the quality of FFVII. If they were to release a 7 remake right now, the FF franchise would be done with, he said.

While the staff would happily make an FFVII remake, this is something that if they decided to do, they'd have to give it their full effort.

http://andriasang.com/con1ny/wada_on_ffvii_remake/

So basically, the current team aren't a patch on the Squaresoft team, in Wada's eyes. Nomura, Nojima, Hiroyuki Ito, Takashi Tokita and Akitoshi Kawazu are the last bastion of Squaresoft still at the company. One of them must make a FF game that is better than FFVII (even though they peaked with FFXII and Tactics). No comments about Versus XIII were made, nor FFX HD. lol.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:38 am

^ for that they would need an unlimited budget and to pull their heads out of their asses while making it, well to be fair versus does seem to have the potential of being a great game but i've learned my lesson not to judge before actually playing after many disappointments and good surprises this gen
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:17 pm

they made at least 3 FFs that top VII, IMO.
that kind of argument should never be the reason you don't make whatever you want to make either.
noy yearning for such a remake myself.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby OL » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:39 pm

It sounds to me that he's just wanting to make another that's just as much a critical success as it is a financial one. There's no denying that with all of its sub-games and film projects combined, FFVII is their most profitable and successful entry in the series. Not everyone considers it their favorite, but most still acknowledge that it's a great game, among both critics and fans. And while not everyone agrees with or appreciates their creation, the side-projects related to VII have all been very successful as well.
In and of itself, FFVII is a franchise all its own. He's likely just saying he wants another one that can achieve that kind of success for them.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Yukupo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:15 pm

So far on FFXIV I'm a level 16 conjurer and I'm having a good ol' time. I find healing to be pretty fun actually and my party appreciates my efforts. (Especially since healing seems to be one of the less popular jobs around.) The game is pretty good but the UI is certainly archaic. Now that I've had some time with FFXIV in its current state I can more fully appreciate those FFXIV 2.0 screens and highly anticipate its arrival.

That said, I wish I wasn't at work because I want to go gain some levels. :lol:
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tuffty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:56 pm

OL wrote:In and of itself, FFVII is a franchise all its own. He's likely just saying he wants another one that can achieve that kind of success for them.

I never caught onto that interpretation of his statement until you just said that, but that makes sense to me. You can make the grandest, most epic FF ever but you know there will be those who will have FFVII as their favourite because of all the fuzzy nostalgia that comes from playing it. It's a tall order to ask something to better that, considering how much higher expections are now with any game that comes out, but it's lofty and ambitious and you can only respect them for it and wish that they'll do it. Eventually.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:50 pm

^I dunno if they'll ever beat FFVII financially though, I know you're a fan of XIII, but let's face it, the game's decisive, it's a love it or hate it. As for FFXIV, the damage is done, maybe they can get good sales with word of mouth that the game is actually playable with 2.0, then there's Type-0; no news of a localization and Crystal Chronicles series was another really decisive FF sub series, Versus XIII nowhere to be found, but yeah...Square really need to do something to make the next FF game as successful as VII, like revitalise the market for JRPGs again.

OL wrote:It sounds to me that he's just wanting to make another that's just as much a critical success as it is a financial one. There's no denying that with all of its sub-games and film projects combined, FFVII is their most profitable and successful entry in the series. Not everyone considers it their favorite, but most still acknowledge that it's a great game, among both critics and fans. And while not everyone agrees with or appreciates their creation, the side-projects related to VII have all been very successful as well.
In and of itself, FFVII is a franchise all its own. He's likely just saying he wants another one that can achieve that kind of success for them.

Sure. But see what I posted above. They're not going about it in the right fashion.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:55 pm

OL wrote:It sounds to me that he's just wanting to make another that's just as much a critical success as it is a financial one. There's no denying that with all of its sub-games and film projects combined, FFVII is their most profitable and successful entry in the series. Not everyone considers it their favorite, but most still acknowledge that it's a great game, among both critics and fans. And while not everyone agrees with or appreciates their creation, the side-projects related to VII have all been very successful as well.

Thats about the long and short of it. They want to be profitable (they post more cuts then a Barbershop's website). Making a franchise of each game is S-E's general strategy. Ivalice Alliance, FF4 After Years, Fabula Nova Crystalis, they're all the same strategy as the Final Fantasy 7 Compilation. The thing is, that always been Square and Enix's policies. A big chunk of their success was creating strong brands and keeping them cheap by extending them on similar hardware.

I don't want to get into another "Square0enix is stupid" rant, so I'll just leave it at this, S-E like every other "AAA" developer needs to restructure and stop trying to emulate other industries in how they operate. They need to look at why their earlier works were successful and instead of throwing together an expensive clone, analyze their successful ventures.

Tuffty wrote:
OL wrote:In and of itself, FFVII is a franchise all its own. He's likely just saying he wants another one that can achieve that kind of success for them.

I never caught onto that interpretation of his statement until you just said that, but that makes sense to me. You can make the grandest, most epic FF ever but you know there will be those who will have FFVII as their favourite because of all the fuzzy nostalgia that comes from playing it. It's a tall order to ask something to better that, considering how much higher expections are now with any game that comes out, but it's lofty and ambitious and you can only respect them for it and wish that they'll do it. Eventually.

The problem with that is that we're not talking about FF1, we're talking about the 7th game in a very popular series. Yes there will always be those that are nostalgic for older games, in 1997 people were nostalgic about 1,4,6 and the re-branded games like FF Adventure and FF Legend. There may be people that are hard to please its not impossible, as proven by the fact that FF7 had to overcome it as well.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming