Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Peter » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:25 pm

Picked up a brand new PS4 today for 100 notes. Result.

Bought it to play Yakuza 5, assuming it was backwards compatible like any normal console. Pure fail.

Have it on Gumtree now for 150. Hopefully a result.

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:45 pm

the fuck are you smoking peter?

AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:11 pm

:lol:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:30 am

Former Xbox guy had a few tweets about the kerfuffle over the original "Duke" Xbox controller, mentioned Tetsuya Mizuguchi was instrumental in getting feedback from Japanese devs: https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/stat ... 8549877760
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Monkei » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:30 am

phpBB [video]

Wow, that looks shit. :lol:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Contemplating whether it's worth buying gears of war 4? Anyone else thinking of getting it? It's probably the most mainstream game I've ever gotten into, outside of maybe splinter cell. The campaign for these games are always a blast, the controls just feel great, and recently I even got into playing the MP/horde modes with my nephew in there 3rd game, great fun!

I've actually played all of them, although I did start to feel the fatigue settle in after 3/judgement campaigns. Might wait on 4, I have played some of it at conventions and it does feel/play great, especially horde mode.

A part of me just wants to buy it to get my fix but I ought to be a bit more patient/money savvy xD.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:33 am

Peter wrote: Picked up a brand new PS4 today for 100 notes. Result.

Bought it to play Yakuza 5, assuming it was backwards compatible like any normal console. Pure fail.

Have it on Gumtree now for 150. Hopefully a result.

Keep it for Yakuza Zero.

Oh and Shenmue 3..

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Monkei
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:53 am

Yea I am really looking forward to Yakuza 0 i will definitely pick it up.

Also sitting here and have never played Unchartered, i couldnt even tell you what its about, so was thinking about nipping into town and grabbing the Nathan Drake collection. Is it any good?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:05 am

It's great. Absolutely. But have you played The Last of Us yet? I'd get that too. Or first. It's a masterpiece.
But if you want to play Uncharted 4 eventually you should definitely get the Collection with 1-3 or else the story of 4 will not resonate enough with you.
Last edited by Axm on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:11 am

Peter wrote:Yea I am really looking forward to Yakuza 0 i will definitely pick it up.

Also sitting here and have never played Unchartered, i couldnt even tell you what its about, so was thinking about nipping into town and grabbing the Nathan Drake collection. Is it any good?

I haven't played the Nathan Drake collection outside of a convention, but the PS3 games are cool, but tbh I think it's only worth it if you find it on the cheap. I really enjoyed the story, but imo the gameplay really hasn't aged well for any of the titles. Maybe because I played the gears games first and was spoiled with the refinement of gameplay and controls and especially PACING.

If you really want to play uncharted 4, then I'd say yes, buy Nathan Drake collection because I'm sure it will help give a lot of context to the characters/story. But go in expecting a bog-standard 3rd person Sunday morning TV movie thrill from a gameplay standpoint, it's just not very engaging but NDC does improve the gameplay experience from PS3 a decent amount.

The story imo is really enjoyable in all of them (i haven't played 4 yet as I don't own a ps4 yet) and as a huge adventure movie buff of Indiana Jones and B movie action films Uncharted brings a great vibe and great characters. Definitely it's biggest strength.

Hopefully that was all useful and not ramble. My only personal takeaway was that I personally wish that on my own playthrough I played the games at release (and not within the last couple of years) but I think Nathan Drake remaster should hopefully help alleviate those issues...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:16 am

Axm wrote:It's great. Absolutely. But have you played The Last of Us yet? I'd get that too. Or first. It's a masterpiece.
But if you want to play Uncharted 4 eventually you should definitely get the Collection with 1-3 or else the story of 4 will not resonate enough with you.

I enjoyed The Last of Us, but I wasn't quite as wowed with it as others were. I think maybe I should have played it on Hard, but in terms of story beats imo telltales The Walking Dead (series 1 especially) left more of an impression with me at the time, probably because I played it before TLOU and decision-making in games felt very novel...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:19 am

I can't really explain it, but for some reason this ending clip for Leon's story campaign in Dead or Alive 3 has always had a special place in my heart, ever since I first saw it when playing the game on the original Xbox. It's cheesy, it's kinda dumb, but somehow it managed to touch me back then, and what's even more curious, it still does today. Nostalgia might play its part of course.

To those of you unfamiliar with DoA's lore: Leon is portayed as a coldhearted professional killer, out to beat the shit out of everyone, ever since his deceased girl's dying words were something along the lines of "the man I love is the strongest man in the world". That's his reason for fighting, it's really pretty dumb. But somehow I really, really like how this isolated and bittersweet moment of resting/weakness/love/transience/hope, accompanied by that oh so cheesy (and oh so engrish) but somehow also beautiful change in music, concludes the story ark of this otherwise so rough and tough and really not too relatable character.

phpBB [video]

EDIT: Think what you want, I'll always stand by my appreciation for it. :lol:

Monkei has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:48 am

Axm wrote: It's great. Absolutely. But have you played The Last of Us yet? I'd get that too. Or first. It's a masterpiece.

Thanks bud! Heading out now to get it. I will just get it preowned so it shouldn't cost too much. Yea I played the Last of Us and enjoyed it, I really enjoyed it, but st the same time I kinda get that Flagship says and that pepole seem to revere it a lot more than I do.

I just want a fun game to play, I'm in a bit of a lull at the minute. But is this series like Tomb Raider because I am a bit bored of those games now. I wasnt that impressed with Rise of the Tomb Raider, so much so I didn't 100% it like I normally would.

Peter has received a thanks from: Axm
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:06 am

Its more like Indiana Jones but in modern video game form. The series is VERY film like, and some of the sequences (especially in Uncharted 2, which is the hallmark of the series) are just heart stopping HOLY SHIT action, the camera angles are great and cinematic, and these games are just great fun.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Monkei wrote: I can't really explain it, but for some reason this ending clip for Leon's story campaign in Dead or Alive 3 has always had a special place in my heart, ever since I first saw it when playing the game on the original Xbox. It's cheesy, it's kinda dumb, but somehow it managed to touch me back then, and what's even more curious, it still does today. Nostalgia might play its part of course.

I feel the same way about Anna's ending from Tekken 2.
Because naked.

phpBB [video]

When we were kids, my brothers always insisted that there was secretly a frame or two in there where you could see nipples.
Real CG nips! Beat the game one more time so we can check again!
Ah, the golden days before the internet crushed every bit of wonder left in the world.
There are no nipples in the video.
I'm not convinced there are nipples anywhere in the world anymore...

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming