What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby Bluecast » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:26 pm

I have leveled up like crazy in DQVIII but that first boss in the waterfall wipes me out in 3-4 hits. AM I supposed to be like level 20 on the first thing to do in this game? WTF. So I stopped playing and killing time with Sengoku Basara 3
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:16 am

Kenny wrote: Thing is, DmC does have problems. If I have to give it a ranking, it'd be a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. I give the original an 8.5 or 9, mostly cause it was fresh and combat was a blast due to it being smoother (which has seen been improved upon by other games in its wake).

But on the whole, I thought it was fun. I never felt the combat was terrible or disruptive to my combo chains, only a bit too repetitive maybe but that's it. Definitely want to purchase it in the future. I was more disappointed with the narrative which got so "ho-hum" from the middle to the end, and that's cause Ninja Theory is trying to be another Naughty Dog. But Naughty Dog has a better grip on storytelling than they do, and I'll even say Naughty Dog has a better grip on it than QuanticDream does as well (but Kojima is king in my mind, even if he goes too far with narrative layering).

If I really wanted to be OMG REBELLIOUS I would've said DMC is one of the best games i've played this year, it's improved upon from the original, and the new Dante is what Dante should've been like from the start. Wipes the old one on the floor. But that's not the case, it's FAR from being as groundbreaking and fun the original game. But it isn't to say I didn't think it was bad on its own. Even the new Dante still has issues but I still found him very enjoyable as a character, which surprised me. I was expecting a completely unlikable douchebag trying to spout 4th rate catchphrases every other minute.

And with that, i'm done with talking about DmC for now. I can't make my position on it any clearer than I already have (not to mention it wasn't even something I was thinking at all).

Back with Lollipop Chainsaw, yes the Pom Pom attacks are fast but it just stuns them first then eventually kills them, so I often have to use the chainsaw to kill them off faster but it moves slower by comparison. So it feels like it takes too long to kill them off. Plus the zombies overwhelm me, so when i'm in the middle of a chain with one zombie...another hits me and throws me to the ground. It happens alot. If they're going to be faster, why not make her swing her chainsaw faster so I can feel i'm equal in this fight? And just put more of them in there if there are no special zombies, which have a life bar? Or make them a little more resilient?

Maybe they were going for a touch more realism here, but that's how i'm feeling about it. I hope the upgrades make more of a difference as it goes on.

Thats completely what I wanted to hear. We actually view the game similarly, and I think you should see that as well. I'm not trying to be negative about the game all the time, I'm just frustrated that the game got 9s across the board and no one says the kinds of thing you just did.

I actually think its bullshit that you need to upgrade Juliet for the game to become fun. Actually PomPom attacks don't really do damage, just like a tiny token amount its a fraction of the chainsaw damage so you eventually have to use a chainsaw one. Thats a concept that I find interesting but it only becomes a good mechanic when you have a good pool of moves. When its just the standard 3 it gets really monotonous to basically be forced to just pick from em. Thankfully when you get some of the crazier attacks like the chainsaw whirlwind (I think thats what it's called) it has startup invincibility and it hits behind you first.

Riku Rose wrote:
OL wrote:He's playing games to have fun,

Sadly most people seem to forget to do this. People seem to look for problems rather then good points just so they can bitch.

Cause we can't all be complacent. OR because we want to know what people actually like. How bout this, you just try to ignore the next time someone bitches instead of making an inane comment. because guess what you taking the time to say "Derp people is bitchin all da time" is bitching.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Riku,OL. Maybe you can say that about me but not about Manny. A person who works hard to make his craft the best he can possibly make it. Busting his ass to get along in the business. So when games are lazy in design and one game for the same reasons get's panned while the other get's critical acclaim I believe he see's it as an insult.
I will also make a guess it's also a fear of his for his future work that it could be panned for one thing but another more hyped project get's 9's and such when it might have similar issues or worse even more issues. Gamers if they just like bug ridden or lazy designed games one person like him might start to think,why even try?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Not exactly. I despise poorly mixed tracks (especially poorly mixed live venues), but there's a difference between appreciating/criticising skill/technique and someone enjoying one thing over another. It Was Written is technically a much better album than Illmatic, but I'll argue the fuck with anyone who thinks it's better than Illmatic. On the other hand, I can see why certain people would prefer It Was Written.

So the fact that Segata works in the industry, does not make everyone else's opinion carry less weight. Different story when I get involved, obviously, but that's because I'm me.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:46 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Not exactly. I despise poorly mixed tracks (especially poorly mixed live venues), but there's a difference between appreciating/criticising skill/technique and someone enjoying one thing over another. It Was Written is technically a much better album than Illmatic, but I'll argue the fuck with anyone who thinks it's better than Illmatic. On the other hand, I can see why certain people would prefer It Was Written.

So the fact that Segata works in the industry, does not make everyone else's opinion carry less weight. Different story when I get involved, obviously, but that's because I'm me.

Not saying it carries more weight. Just more passion and he may just feel his craft is threatened.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:01 pm

And therein lies the same fate that befell Hip-Hop. Numbers. A high volume of people with a similar opinion leads the creators to think that everyone feels one way about something, therefore endangering "the craft" even further.

Assumption will be the death of creativity, so investigating further as opposed to instantly jumping to a conclusion is vital.

Not that I'm getting involved in the argument, just posting my observations. Being vague can be just as bad too.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Bluecast
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:

Sadly most people seem to forget to do this. People seem to look for problems rather then good points just so they can bitch.

Cause we can't all be complacent. OR because we want to know what people actually like. How bout this, you just try to ignore the next time someone bitches instead of making an inane comment. because guess what you taking the time to say "Derp people is bitchin all da time" is bitching.

I'm fine with people not liking shit but the constant bitching is boring. Your more then intitlet to dislike a game and make it known but I personally believe that there comes a point where you should just leave the topic and let those that enjoy it talk about it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Ryudo wrote: Riku,OL. Maybe you can say that about me but not about Manny.

Don't rope me into this. I wasn't calling anyone out about "bitching".
I was just saying there was no need to bring DmC up out of nowhere and then trying to pick a fight with Kenny over it. Kenny was talking about Lollipop Chainsaw. Segata's statement:

Or maybe you're trying to pretend that the flaws a particular game has don't exist because then it would mean that you'd have to admit you were wrong about something?

...was totally random and completely unprovoked. I was just saying it was uncalled for, not that he shouldn't complain about DmC.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:19 pm

Ah ok I must have overlooked that. I agree it was a bit too aggressive.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 pm

OL wrote:
Ryudo wrote: Riku,OL. Maybe you can say that about me but not about Manny.

Don't rope me into this. I wasn't calling anyone out about "bitching".
I was just saying there was no need to bring DmC up out of nowhere and then trying to pick a fight with Kenny over it. Kenny was talking about Lollipop Chainsaw. Segata's statement:

Or maybe you're trying to pretend that the flaws a particular game has don't exist because then it would mean that you'd have to admit you were wrong about something?

...was totally random and completely unprovoked. I was just saying it was uncalled for, not that he shouldn't complain about DmC.

I'm a dick sometimes and yea that was one of those times. I could have said it better, but he also said

I think you're really just trying to fish for excuses to hate on DMC, whereas since i'm not a super diehard fan of the series i'm able to judge it on its own merits.

and I've said outright that thats not what I was trying to do, I just want to know people's in depth opinions and I feel like the stuff he said after was missing in his review.

Riku Rose wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:

I'm fine with people not liking shit but the constant bitching is boring. Your more then intitlet to dislike a game and make it known but I personally believe that there comes a point where you should just leave the topic and let those that enjoy it talk about it.

I'm not just looking to shit on everything, ever. I want to know what people don't like, and what people do like. I've heard a bunch of times over what people like about DMC, but not what they don't like. Reading this and Kenny's review I think he's basically it the nail on the head and talked about all of the basic reasons why DMC is playable but why it also has issues. I know what is worth taking and what doesn't work and to a lesser extent how certain design philosophies can work against each other. I'm never just sitting around to hate on something, even when I push your buttons about KH its to learn something. If i really hated Kingdom hearts, I wouldn't have run through 1 and 2 a bunch of times each.

In all of this the irony is I'm pretty sure I had more fun then a lot of reviewers who gave it a 9.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:36 am

Finishing up ep 1 of Walking Dead. Ok I guess
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:19 am

Ryudo wrote: Gamers if they just like bug ridden or lazy designed games one person like him might start to think,why even try?

I just want to say that those truly dedicated to the craft will strive to make their projects as good as possible no matter what.

Hack film screenwriters turn in hack scripts cause they have the attitude of "well, this blockbuster is completely shitty but it made lots of money and the writers still get work, why should I put more effort in my script if they didn't". And then they wonder why they can't get any work because their scripts suck ass in the first place, therefore no one wants to hire them.

When you're on the top, you can get away with nearly anything. But when you're at the bottom, you have to prove to the people on top that you're just as good as they are and make the best possible thing you can. Then if you prove yourself worthy and get up, it's all up to you whether or not you want to keep working hard or just hang back and turn in "the bare minimum", cause you can afford the risk.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:40 am

Just got Crysis 3 for PS3 with DLC. Running on 3.55 CFW.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Kenny wrote:
Ryudo wrote: Gamers if they just like bug ridden or lazy designed games one person like him might start to think,why even try?

I just want to say that those truly dedicated to the craft will strive to make their projects as good as possible no matter what.

Hack film screenwriters turn in hack scripts cause they have the attitude of "well, this blockbuster is completely shitty but it made lots of money and the writers still get work, why should I put more effort in my script if they didn't". And then they wonder why they can't get any work because their scripts suck ass in the first place, therefore no one wants to hire them.

When you're on the top, you can get away with nearly anything. But when you're at the bottom, you have to prove to the people on top that you're just as good as they are and make the best possible thing you can. Then if you prove yourself worthy and get up, it's all up to you whether or not you want to keep working hard or just hang back and turn in "the bare minimum", cause you can afford the risk.

Gaming is different. the idea of good and bad is skewed, so someone can make a game thats barely interactive, features only a handful of assets and barely even works right and still make it big (Temple Run) or they can completely steal another person's everything and still be successful (Ninja Fishing)

its sad but people will reward complete crap even at the entry level of this industry.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:13 pm

I always found it funny IGN gave Sengoku Basara a 4/10 but gave some babiez game a 7.5. Why did SB get a 4? because it was repetitive. Well yeah it's a Dynasty Warriors type hack n slash just not as serious. Game is fantastic game for that genre btw. I know this is a broken record but this is why I stopped giving a crap about reviewers. I usually listen to my gut or opinions here or maybe one of the youtube channels I sub. Reason why is they seem more honest about it. Look at Gametrailers...that site has become a total joke that IGN looks good next to it. GT reminds me of when G4 started to get bad in 2005. Ignorant morons who just play only the big name hyped up whatever,hate anything not hyped and know so little about the industry yet supposed to be the ones that inform everyone. Ugh. Fine if they like CoD or whatever but they could at least know some of what the hell they are talking about. Otherwise they sound as informed as a 15 year old Gamestop clerk. Sorry nerd rant.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming