Review The Last Game You Beat

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:35 pm

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) 7/10

The cutscenes in this game are great in the way they are done. It's done it the art style of the game box art and flows so well and has a great story to back it up. Sadly the gameplay aint anything to be proud of. In the game you knock soldiers out and take them back to your truck to recruit them. Once thats done you can play as them. And since they are dressed the same as the enemy you can walk about without being spotted. Meaning you can just run to where you want no problem. I tried to be Snake more to make it more of a challenge but the camera is a mess since it is on the d-pad while you run with the analog. It's only the stories that make this a enjoyable game.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Ryo Hazukki » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Riku wrote:^Then you need to play Arkham.

Beat the PC version like a week before it came out. Fuckin' awesome game. Bought it for the PS3 and beat it again. It's excellent, but I still prefer Returns on the SNES.
Ryo Hazukki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Ryo Hazukki wrote:

Beat the PC version like a week before it came out. Fuckin' awesome game. Bought it for the PS3 and beat it again. It's excellent, but I still prefer Returns on the SNES.

Is that the one styled after The Animated Series? That looks absolutely kick ass.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Ryo Hazukki » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:55 am

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Ryo Hazukki wrote:

Is that the one styled after The Animated Series? That looks absolutely kick ass.

Ryudo has your answer, but that game also kicks ass. It's called The Adventures of Batman & Robin.
Ryo Hazukki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:26 pm

Halo 3: ODST 8/10

Great story but very very short. Think it took me about 5 hours.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Star Ocean: First Departure

Previously my only experience with Star Ocean had been SO3 on PS2 (in which I played for about 50 hours before being distracted by other things) which I loved, so it's no wonder my hopes were pretty high for this one. I'd always wanted to play through the original Star Ocean on the Super Famicom, but my only access to it was through a translated rom (and I can never seem to play very far in an RPG when it's on an emulator for some reason). So I was very happy when I learned a complete remake was being made for the PSP.
It didn't let me down. The graphics are great (considering the use of tiny 2D sprites), particularly the newly-made static backgrounds, which evoke the sense of those old PS1 RPGs. The music is excellent, as per the usual with 16-bit RPGs. The battle system is very fun, but may seem pretty repetitive to most players. And the story, though there are plenty of twists and turns, never tries to be more than just fun and entertaining.
Not a perfect game, but I thoroughly enjoyed my 27 hours with it.

8/10

Looking forward to starting the second game on the PSP, but I think I'm going to start in on Persona first. Just a change of atmosphere.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Ryo Hazukki » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:34 am

Diablo.

9.8/10.

11 years on and this game is still as addicting as ever. I'm not sure what it is about the original that I love so much, but the sequel definitely lacks it - I can run through this game again and again and still it seems fresh. Truly a hack 'n' slash masterpeice if ever there was one. Shame the third one looks like donkey shit.
Ryo Hazukki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Beat FFVI again. This time with everything. I'd give it a 8.5/10.

Also was playing something called the Illusion of Gaia. Its fun to play but the story is really fucking whack. Something to do with Aztecs and fairies or some shit.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Jokatech19 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:38 pm

I just beat Phantasy Star Universe. Wow, was I blown away. I easily give it a 9.5/10. I haven't played a fulfilling game like this in a long time. This is how RPG's use to be in the 90's
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby OL » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Kenny™© wrote:Also was playing something called the Illusion of Gaia. Its fun to play but the story is really fucking whack. Something to do with Aztecs and fairies or some shit.

I liked that game a lot. Played it not too long ago when I got it for my SNES.
The story can be a little weird (and it definitely contains one of the most disturbing scenes of self-sacrifice I've ever seen in a game), but it is kind of cool in the end, if you play it all the way through. I actually think, of all the games I've gotten for my SNES, I actually enjoyed Illusion's story most.
Still need to play FFVI though.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:12 pm

VI is really fun to play. Story is pretty average at first then gets a little more involving but the selling point is the battle system.

These new RPGs made me wanna try Chrono Trigger again and also get Tales of Phantasia, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, and the rest of the Quintet games.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Satoshi » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Halo 3: ODST

8.9/10

Far more fulfilling gameplay than Halo 3, by far. Firefight kicks ass, too. Only shortcomings is its length and that Sgt. Johnson's character model looks like absolute shit.

Also beat Arkham Asylum a day before I got ODST, would give that a 9.5. Did not expect it to be that good.
Satoshi
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:30 am

Kenny™© wrote:These new RPGs made me wanna try Chrono Trigger again and also get Tales of Phantasia, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, and the rest of the Quintet games.

I really want them to hurry up with putting Earthbound on the virtual console already been dying to play it for ages. With Chrono Trigger I still think it's a great game but was a little let down by all that I heard about it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Ryo Hazukki » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Jet Set Radio.

9.8/10.

Beat this baby this morning, and my God is it a lot harder than I remember it. Absolutely incredible from start to finish. The music is fucking outstanding, and it really draws you in to the bizarre, hilarious world of Jet Set Radio. Definitely one of my favourite games of all time - Jet Set Radio Future is excellent, but it just doesn't stack up to the original.
Ryo Hazukki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:41 pm

This topic should be a sticky.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming