Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Even if it was in english, it'd still be pointless.

What's the sense in releasing a cutscene that has no action in it? I like the design of the new character Quiet but why was she teleporting everywhere? That seemed a bit arbitrary.

Besides, we already have a young Psycho Mantis that can do that stuff. Why do we need another teleporting character?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Why is that such a bad thing?
I'd like to think a character's effect on the story is more important than whatever superpower they have. Put Wolverine and Sabertooth together in a story and I won't really be concerned about the fact that they both heal really fast; I'd be more concerned with their interactions and the results of those interactions. Those are what make a story interesting.

Besides, does Psycho Mantis really teleport, or does he just affect peoples' minds to mask himself? Can't remember from the original game.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:20 pm

I always figured it was just that because he could levitate, he just could move really fucking fast from one point in the room to another. He used the stealth camo and appearing in another location rapidly to induce that image that he is teleporting, when he's in fact, not.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:49 pm

I know he can float but there was a scene where he teleported, but it could've been an apparition to represent his telekinetic mind takeover of Meryl.

And I'm not sold yet until I see more. Teleporting around doesn't make sense which is why it was bad they released that, it's probably taken out of context. Maybe there's a really good reason she can do that, maybe she can do other things. Teleporting is not that unique (I'm guessing it's really an early cloak prototype which would make much more sense than just "teleporting around" unless I knew head of time she was telekinetic).

I liked it better when she was just a sniper who can't speak due to her vocal chords getting fucked around but we'll see.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Yeah, my take on the scene when Snake first meets Mantis was always that it was an apparition form of him, rather than him actually teleporting there and then.

I personally like seeing some crazy powers again in Metal Gear after how boring Beauty & Beast's and Peace Walkers antagonists were (as in, no powers, all tech). I don't think Quiet is "teleporting" as such either, by the way, more like she can disintegrate/atomize her entire body and reform herself at will. I do think she has other powers too and no doubt other characters in the game, such as the bosses which we haven't been introduced to yet, will do also. Besides, we've had plenty of "sniper" characters by now in this series.

Another thing I just realised is that Ocelot will probs be a Codec/Radio contact in this game.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:58 pm

There has to be some sexy females in MGS, its just part of MGS. Still its kind of awkward when a girl is dressed like that but acts natural and normal, talk about confusing. Boss looked good, the character models looked good, nothing really happened but the graphics seem great. I still need to see more though.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Not a new video necessarily, but I hadn't seen it before, and it's clearly much different from the same old Afghanistan stuff we were seeing before.

phpBB [video]

I love that grenade trick he pulls at about 20:56. Seems like teamwork with Quiet might be pretty damn fun.
The wolf pup around the 12 minute mark bums me right the hell out though. Hopefully you can fulton him out and have a little wolf pet back at your base or something. Seem like a pointless detail unless you can do something like that.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Guess you haven't seen this yet... ;-)

phpBB [video]

Kojima seems to be big on animals, so of course he'd add this to the game.

DD just like Quiet will be an optional team member you can take with you on missions. I'm wondering if Ocelot will join us on missions too? That'd be sweet.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:36 pm

^Now that's awesome.

I love the idea of a dog coming along with you on missions. Reminds me of Fable 2, I really enjoyed that and became instantly protective of my dog whenever shit was going down. No doubt the same thing will happen here.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:23 pm

http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-wi ... 1689162309

Whoops! Release date accidently revealed and immediately taken down. September 1st it seems.

I wonder if thats for all platforms or just PS4/XB1? The PC release I am interested in, but for some reason I think it will be released later.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby redline » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:01 am

what do you guys think this one(?)

they are now saying the whole story about the human head transplant is a hoax/PR stunt by kojima for mgs5, as the doctor looks identical from the game. :-k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Solid.html

redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:21 am

^ this just occurred to me... what if Kojima leaving Konami, and the cancellation of Silent Hills, is all just one big troll/marketing ploy by Kojima... all in support of his new projekt :!:
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby redline » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:31 am

/\ i was thinking the same thing. kojima likes to troll us.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:17 am

Ya it does seem all too crazy to be true. But it would be the most elaborate troll of all time if it was.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming