The rise and fall of the Dreamcast

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby JoeMDesign » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:45 am

I nearly cried... :)

source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=161538

5-Apr-2007 Feature:

Three years of gaming gold

With Sega having officially ceased production of Dreamcast discs (GD-ROMs) and the repair service set to close on September 28, the Dreamcast has well and truly been laid to rest. If it breaks after September 28, you're on your own. Or stuck in the world of emulation.

Although the Dreamcast died before its time, having been discontinued in 2001 - just three years after its original 1998 release(1999 in US and UK), its many innovations, vast selection of peripherals and huge library of arcade games earned it a huge cult following. Some say that the console was launched too soon.

The Dreamcast was considered way ahead of its time when it hit Japanese stores on November 27, 1998, with high-resolution, silky smooth visuals that put N64 and PSone to shame.

Innovative genius

The biggest innovation Dreamcast introduced was the Visual Memory Unit (or VMU), with its little LCD screen that could be slotted into the controller for an in-hand display.

The possibilities for innovative gameplay using the VMU were vast, and Sega was the first to demonstrate with Sonic Adventure, which allowed you to transfer in-game virtual pets (dubbed Chaos) to the VMU where they became a virtual pet you could look after. Although, except for the odd radar in some action games the VMU was seldom used as Sega probably intended.

Dreamcast was also the first console to come internet ready out of the box, with a built-in modem tucked in its side. Awesome puzzle game, Chu Chu Rocket from Sega, kicked off the online console revolution, followed by stunning conversions of Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament, which worked with a proprietary Dreamcast mouse and keyboard giving console gamers a taste of first-person shooting that had previously been exclusive to PC junkies. More than that though, Dreamcast was the first console to offer cross-platform play. PC gamers got to show off their headshots against DC n00bs with Quake III Arena.

Peripherals played a huge role in Dreamcast's short lifespan. The now-legendary rhythm-action game, Samba de Amigo, had players shaking a set of (rare and expensive thesedays) barrackers in different directions to on-screen prompts and funky tunes.

The Dreamcast light gun brought arcade shooting home, most notably compatible with the awesome House of the Dead II, on which we had burned many a quid before it came to Sega's next-gen console.

The official Dreamcast Arcade Stick is still considered to be one of the single best home arcade sticks ever made, and with games like Street Fighter 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Dreamcast had the hardcore 2D fighters to support it.

Sega Bass fishing came with a neat fishing rod controller that was actually sensitive to movements (hello Nintendo Wii). Dreamcast even has voice-controlled gaming, with a microphone that slotted into the top of your controller which allowed you to control the strange but cool virtual pet game, Seamen, with your voice. And there aren't many consoles that can claim that.

The beginning was the end

Despite the Dreamcast's undisputed awesomeness, sales took a turn for the worst after Sony crashed the party with the PS2 and its superior marketing campaigns. While Sony was wowing the kids, Sega went and spunked a hell of a lot of money sponsoring Arsenal football club. The inevitable was fast approaching.

Sega pulled the plug on Dreamcast in 2001, announcing on the 31 January that production of the console would cease in March that year and the company would dedicate recourses to software development.

"One of the best consoles ever, destroyed because of the lies and marketing hype of the PS2," said CVG reader, neilyboy1, who shares the sentiments of many hardcore Dreamcast fans that were, and still are, bitterly upset that Dreamcast was embarrassingly knocked out of the console war.

But before giving up the ghost of Dreamcast though, Sega struck a deal with TV manufacturer Pace to include the DC's PowerVR Series2 technology in set-top-boxes. But this move failed to keep the Dream(cast) alive and it died on its arse.

Although most of the games in development still made it to shelves before the Dreamcast was buried, there were a few games and hardware projects that never saw the light of day, as with any console.

Yu Suzuki, creator of the amazing Shenmue games, had promised several episodes to the series, but only two made it, with the second game being rushed out with Japanese speech. Shenmue 2 was later ported to Xbox with full English speech, the way it should have been.

Many of its planned sequels ended up on Xbox after Sega and Microsoft struck an exclusivity deal. Sega was hardly going to give Sony (the company that almost killed it) its hard worked-on games so soon after the DC's demise. These included Gunvalkyrie, Panza Dragoon Next (renamed Panza Dragoon Orta) and Toe Jam & Earl 3.

A Dreamcast port of Half Life was almost released, with review versions even being sent out to the press. The game was eventually canned because of horrendous loading times. We remember hearing stories about how you could go and make a cup of tea, come back and it still wouldn't have loaded the next level. Official Dreamcast Magazine even carried the game as a cover review, if we remember correctly. Half-Life and Propeller Arena: Aviation Battle Championship were later leaked to the internet, which delighted gamers were able to download and play.

Agartha, Castlevania Resurrection and Geist Force were canned and buried, never to return, as was the DVD-playing attachment, high-capacity MP3-playing VMUs and a Zip drive, all of which Sega showed at E3 in 2000. If Sega had the capital to see all this through, today's console battle could be a very different.

10 DC titles you MUST own

Dreamcast had a cracking library of games but there was the striking omission of anything EA Sports related, which Sony probably paid an arm and a leg for to keep from the platform. And the fact that EA Sports didn't support the platform... well, we know what happened next.

Soul Calibur

Shenmue

Ikaruga

Samba De Amigo

Jet Set Radio

Crazi Taxi

Metropolis Street Racer

Phantasy Star Online

Quake III Arena

Virtua Tennis

Live After Death

If you still love your Dreamcast (and it still works) and you can't bear the thought of it passing on, there's still hope. If you haven't got a Dreamcast, or don't know what we're talking about, jump on eBay now and you should be able to get yourself a console and a nice bundle of games for around £30, which is literally an absolute bargain. It's also worth checking out those cash converter-type places where crackheads sell everything they get their hands on for a fix. You can usually find some old gaming gems at the bottom of the pile, or behind a glass window. Do it now, before they become rarer. Or worse, eBay runs out of them.

Mike Jackson
JoeMDesign
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alimn » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:16 pm

^I nearly cried too

Thanks for posting this Joe,
DC is still my best friend! and for me it's the best console ever made!

Regards-Alimn
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Captain Lars Kegstealer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:55 pm

Seriously what's with the stupid assholes that didn't buy the Dreamcast? Could they not see that it was pure genius and way better than any console they had?
Captain Lars Kegstealer
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Blade Runner » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:08 pm

Greatest system ever.
Blade Runner
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: The rise and fall of the Dreamcast

Postby ys » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:59 pm

Nice article. It's really a shame that Sega didn't have the cash to continue to support the console. Compare this to Sony and Microsoft who can support their consoles with the help of money from other divisions.
And even Bill Gates thought that it was a great console ;) I hate it when people and stores put the DC under Retro or in the N64 generation while it clearly pioneered the 128-bit era.

JoeMDesign wrote:Yu Suzuki, creator of the amazing Shenmue games, had promised several episodes to the series, but only two made it, with the second game being rushed out with Japanese speech. Shenmue 2 was later ported to Xbox with full English speech, the way it should have been.

Well, that's his opinion..."the way it should have been" :P
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby alimn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:51 pm

^I agree

BTW One of my friends who has never played a DC game(but he is a big Sony fan boy & he has finished million of games on PSOne, PS2 and PSP) is keep saying that DC is like PSP!---SHAME ON HIM>

I ALWAYS HAVE A FIGHT ABOUT THIS WITH HIM...MMMMMMMM!

I say DC is awesome! DC is in the 128-bit era!
He says DC is too weak! It is weaker than PS2!It is like PSP!

A good example for his wrong comments is Dead Or Alive 2.,
When you play games like DOA2 on DC then you'll find how much
DC's hardware is strong!

As I said before he has never played a game on DC, so I shouldn't talk with him about DC VS PS2 again!

Regards-Alimn
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

alimn wrote:^I agree

BTW One of my friends who has never played a DC game(but he is a big Sony fan boy & he has finished million of games on PSOne, PS2 and PSP) is keep saying that DC is like PSP!---SHAME ON HIM>

DC's hardware is strong!

As I said before he has never played a game on DC, so I shouldn't talk with him about DC VS PS2 again!

Regards-Alimn

Actually, he think he means in terms of raw processing power. In fact he might be right. I'm not sure, but I always knew that PSP was regarded as lightly-less powerful than a PS2 but way higher then a N64, and now that I think about it, the Dreamcast was really the same.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:22 pm

Good system. Not the best, but still very good. Ahead of its time, just like the article said.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby alimn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:00 pm

Twist05 wrote:
alimn wrote:^I agree

DC's hardware is strong!

Regards-Alimn

Actually, he think he means in terms of raw processing power. In fact he might be right. I'm not sure, but I always knew that PSP was regarded as lightly-less powerful than a PS2 but way higher then a N64, and now that I think about it, the Dreamcast was really the same.

No, He means graphics are rubbish on Dreamcast! but stunning on PS2!

But I don't agree with him because when I'll try to compare
PS2's 2000-2002 titles with Dreamcast's 1999-2001 titles
I'll see that graphics are excellent on DC(in it's time).

Soul Calibur DC(Amazing graphics compare-able with PS2's 2006 Soul Calibur)

Sonic Adventure 1(fast and smooth in fully-detailed environments)

Shenmue(Can't be feasible on PS2 due lower amount of PS2's 4MB Video Ram in comparing with DC's 8MB video Ram/
Yu Suzuki has mentioned this too)

and the best examples are titles such as

Dead Or Alive 2(rubbish graphics on PS2, impressive graphics on DC)
Grandia 2
Evil Twin
Crazy Taxi and...

BTW it's good to know that he also says
"Xbox 360" is much weaker than "PS3" (in terms of everything!) :x

Again I don't agree with him because he has never played
"Gears Of War", "Dead Rising", "Lost Planet" and ...

I always have a fight with him about this one too! ;)

Regards-Alimn
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:40 pm

No offence, but the graphics on MGS3 and RE4 for the PS2 are awe inspiring. I'd still take the look of Shenmue and Jet Set Radio over them two any day though.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Captain Lars Kegstealer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:53 pm

If they improved the graphics on Shenmue I would keep the character graphics the exact same, but more detailed scenery and junk like that.
Captain Lars Kegstealer
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby white lotus » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:35 pm

Fuck, I wouldn't care if Shenmue III had the graphics of a gameboy, jsut gimmie it!
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby alimn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:00 pm

If DC could live more it could give us games with better graphics!
(with the help of recent technologies, technologies that gave us
games like "God Of War!")

Regards-Alimn
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:50 pm

Bad Cab wrote:If they improved the graphics on Shenmue I would keep the character graphics the exact same, but more detailed scenery and junk like that.

Well I thought that, until Shenmue Online came along that is! :roll:

And I think if they ever remade SI and II; they would have to spruce up the whole background; since it's all blurry textures for buildings in the distance, that's my only complaint about the graphics of the Shenmue games.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Suairyu » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:05 pm

DC was ahead of its time, and to this day has the best arcade stick for a home console ever released. I plow so many hours into Street Fighter III on it I've lost count.

The PS2 is more powerful, and so could out-polygon the Dreamcast, but the Dreamcast has superb texture handling abilities, which make games like Shenmue look so damn shiny. If Shenmue were released on the PS2, chances are the draw distance would be further (it was kinda appaling on the DC), but the textures would be much blander, for example.

Though, really, it was SEGA's fault ultimately for the DC's failure. It's public perception was stung thanks to all the MegaDrive add-ons and the atrocious Saturn and that made big companies like EA refuse to sign on, which is almost instant-death for a console these days. A real shame too, it remains closest to my heart out of all consoles.
Suairyu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to General Gaming