The rise and fall of the Dreamcast

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Himuro » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:43 am

Sega fucked up with the sega cd, 32 x, and Saturn, alienating their fanbase, and released the DC way too early. It's Sega's fault people didn't buy DC because they had an actual reason. I know I did. I was a Genesis guy back in the day and wanted a Saturn. Then Sega pulled the plug on it and started getting prepared for DC so I was like,"Fuck it." and got a psx. I wanted a dc, but then how would I know if Sega wouldn't pull the plug early or not? And it appears my thoughts were right. They did.

Sega is killer of Sega, not the people who didn't buy their consoles.

And that author of that article is an idiot. "Shenmue II in English, the way it should be!" Shut up. "Panza Dragoon". Kill yourself.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby JoeMDesign » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:32 am

The Shenmue II language is his opinion but that doesn't really tarnish an otherwise flawless article. The Dreamcast was a victim of circumstance and of Sega's mismanagement.

Although the weird thing is that it was doing pretty well in Europe! The fanbase was really starting to build when they suddenly pulled the plug on the console from Japan.

Also strange to note that Sega had a built-in modem and free online play for all it's games. Something that Sony are trying to boast about in this generation.

Sega did it! The Dreamcast was brilliant and it gave us more great gaming memories than the entire last generation (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) did altogether.

An overstatement? Yes... but the sentiment was sound. :lol:
JoeMDesign
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Suairyu » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:00 pm

Himuro wrote:And that author of that article is an idiot. "Shenmue II in English, the way it should be!" Shut up. "Panza Dragoon". Kill yourself.
Yu Suzuki himself always preferred the English voices, so you could argue an English version of Shenmue II was the way it was meant to be. And Panzer Dragoon has always been held in high critical and commercial regard, so yeah ...
Suairyu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Suairyu wrote:Yu Suzuki himself always preferred the English voices, so you could argue an English version of Shenmue II was the way it was meant to be.

Source?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Suairyu » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Source?
An interview in the UK's Official Dreamcast magazine, either same issue where they review Shenmue, or the one just before/after it.
Suairyu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ac2u » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:28 pm

Technically, the Dreamcast wasn't a true 128-bit console. Still didn't stop it kicking the PS2s ass for ages graphically.
ac2u
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Staplerfahrer Klaus » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:47 am

^ There was no such thing. 128 bits of precision would've been completely pointless, considering the systems' other technical limitations (and the fidelity necessary for the games themselves). And they all lacked enough memory for 128 bit addresses to be worth shit (I am just speculating, but someone here can probably confirm). Anyway, yeah, it did kick the PS2's ass for quite a while.
Staplerfahrer Klaus
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ro Shen » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:05 am

A true classic of all consoles and amazing amount of games i still own mine and still play it now to this day games like SHENMUE 1 & 2,soul calibur,grandia 2,power stone 1 & 2,skies of arcadia,street fighter 3,sonic adventure 1 & 2,ecco,blue stinger,rayman 2,resident evil: code veronica,fur fighters,jet set radio,capcom vs snk,dead or alive 2 (i own all of them btw) its hard to let go of the beast of all consoles R.I.P and i really do hope sega gets reserected from the ashs with another console one day.
Ro Shen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby FRASIER » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:26 am

When did they officially stop production?
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Blade Runner » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:37 am

2001 I think. However games continued to come out.
Blade Runner
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Previous

Return to General Gaming