Ys Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: ys series

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:45 pm

I had to buy a new DS batt since this one is original and won't hold a charge more than 4 hrs (used to be around 10) but I can't help but keep playing. At max level 24,so many of these games are on PSP and in the past had a few games that made me want a PSP but nothing I could not rush. Well now fuck,damnit sony has me by the balls. I buy thier products alot anyway but now I have to wish for a PSP for ys,PS2 & PS3. FUCKING DAMNIT! Why did I have to grow up a retard Nintendo fanboy now that I left Nintendo within the last year I find all these wonderdul games and toys I missed.

Fanboyism is baaaaad. erm..sorry back to ys.
:oops:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:57 pm

:devillaugh:
I see Ys has you in its grasp and won't let go.
You are doomed, my boy!
DOOMED!!!

Oh, and my DS battery seems to have the same problem (though I don't even think it even holds a charge for 4 hours; more like 2). I just keep it plugged in while I play. Of course, I do all my playing at home anyway. Not sure if you take it on the go with you or what...
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:58 pm

bwahahahaha the series gets so much better too.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Indeed I am trapped.
BTW OL ds lite batts are cheap new. 5$ at amazon.
I play at home as well but the cable won't reach the couch and would have to play at the PC on a weird angle.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Jokatech19 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Damn all of you with this Y's craze. Now I'm getting the sniffles. Coming down with it.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby OL » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:bwahahahaha the series gets so much better too.

Yeah, it really does.
I'm really eager to start playing Seven pretty soon, after I'm done with the game I'm currently playing. I was waiting to start Seven before, because I didn't want to start it without being in the right mood. But with all this chatter about the series in this topic (and me currently watching the anime), I'm definitely in the right mood now.

I really want to finally play as Geis. I'm really glad he's returning from Ys 6. My first thought after beating Napishtim was the hope that he either returns in the next game or gets his own game (which would be great). And, surprisingly, we're getting a sort of mixture of those two sentiments; he's returning, and he's playable.
Pure awesomeness.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Beat it.
Shorter than I expected but then again this is a very old school game.
Now I have book II to play. Think I will try and not play as much. I want this to last longer than 2 days.
Been a while I went on gaming sessions for hours like that.
:P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Don't you play with the DS plugged in Ryudo?

Also does the series have an ongoing story or is it like FF?
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Riku Rose wrote:Don't you play with the DS plugged in Ryudo?

Also does the series have an ongoing story or is it like FF?

Ryudo wrote:
I play at home as well but the cable won't reach the couch and would have to play at the PC on a weird angle.

From what I gather is while the characters stay familiar mostly like Zelda I think it's accessible enough like Zelda series you should be ok to jump in almost any game. First game didn't have much of a story. Pretty basic.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:33 pm

Ever since I started coming to this place the games I want to buy has exploded to almost 3x as much. Think I might have to quit until I have no games I want to buy.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:31 pm

Ryudo wrote:Beat it.
Shorter than I expected but then again this is a very old school game.

Yeah, I was going to say something about how short the first couple games are, but I figured it was kind of a non-issue, since both are packaged together, and as a pair they equal out between 9 to 12 hours (pretty average length for an action game, which they pretty much are). The first two games are actually the only two that have a continuous narrative holding them together, so it's a really good thing that they generally get released together these days (pretty much been that way ever since the Books 1&2 Turbografx release).

And yeah, Riku, most of the games in the series stand alone as their own stories, but are loosely held together by the fact that Adol is always the hero, and he occasionally meets people from previous games. Nothing too major though. Except for Book II, you could jump in on almost any one of the games and have a fine grasp of what's going on (though knowledge of earlier games does enhance the feel and atmosphere).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:02 am

Kinda frustrated that not only I won't be able to buy games for maybe a few months but now I am really really really want to play more of this series.
I did add the Anime to my netflix que however.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:24 am

Actually there is an overall story but its hard to get at without having played the games (including Origins) a few times

For example the winged goddesses are the same race from both Celceta and Canaan and they Origins makes you ask questions about everything since you fight bosses from 1,2, and 4 when they were human. Its also talks about how magic can corrupt
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Oppy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:00 am

Ok, So i managed to get my hands on a copy of YsIII for the Mega Drive(Not mine, borrowed it from a friend of a friend.). After wiring up and tuning my Megadrive into my tv, i played it for about 2 hours and can honestly say I dont really dig it.

The side-scrolling gameplay just doesnt appeal to me like the top-down perspective does. Dont get me wrong, I like side-scrollers, but I just feel that after playing through I and II, Ys III just feel out of place and just boring to me. I felt the same way about the Zelda games, The first Legend of Zelda was my favorite game on the nes, but i didnt like the second one at all just because of the way they changed it to a side-scroller.

Im actually pretty happy that i didnt fork out $70 and buy the game.
Is this the only Ys thats a sidecroller? Where do i go from here? are Ys IV and V availible in english?
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby OL » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Oppy wrote:Ok, So i managed to get my hands on a copy of YsIII for the Mega Drive(Not mine, borrowed it from a friend of a friend.). After wiring up and tuning my Megadrive into my tv, i played it for about 2 hours and can honestly say I dont really dig it.

The side-scrolling gameplay just doesnt appeal to me like the top-down perspective does. Dont get me wrong, I like side-scrollers, but I just feel that after playing through I and II, Ys III just feel out of place and just boring to me. I felt the same way about the Zelda games, The first Legend of Zelda was my favorite game on the nes, but i didnt like the second one at all just because of the way they changed it to a side-scroller.

Im actually pretty happy that i didnt fork out $70 and buy the game.
Is this the only Ys thats a sidecroller? Where do i go from here? are Ys IV and V availible in english?

Yeah, I kind of figured III wouldn't exactly be everyone's bag. The gameplay is even more simplistic than the others, and (trust me on this) you have to level up at the beginning as much as you can, because level honestly matters more than skill in it. So yeah, you might have to spend an hour or two near the beginning of the first dungeon just killing enemies in as cheap a way as possible before actually venturing further. It takes a LOT of patience.
I still recommend playing through it though, if it's still in you possession. The graphics, levels, and story are all pretty charming, and the music is some of the best in the series. It's one of those games where, even though it isn't actually all that good, you'd still probably look back on it fondly. Also, when The Oath in Felghana comes out for PSP, you'll probably be even more impressed by how good a remake it is (and you'll sigh nostalgically when you hear the newly re-orchestrated music tracks).

Ys IV and V have only been released in Japan so far, unfortunately (though if you had the Japanese TurboCD versions, you might be able to find some sort of translation patch for them).
I would personally recommend simply looking up a little bit of info on IV and V, seeing what they were all about, then find The Ark of Napishtim (Ys VI) which was released, in the US at least, on the PSP and PS2, and dive right into that.
I personally like the PS2 version better, since it has better load times, is fully voiced for every single character, and has an extra series of trials you can tackle that gain you more experience and whatnot.
There were also a few changes made to it for the worse, such as its ugly-as-hell cg cutscenes, but the developers were smart enough to also include a series of codes you can input to essentially turn the game into the original Japanese PC version.
Gamefaqs has a complete list of the cheats. Just look for the one that says "PC Mode with Japanese voices and anime cut scenes", and you're good.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming