dev comment of the day topic

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: dev comment of the day topic

Postby Axm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:51 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Or they could have just not said anything, made some money on the WiiU version then had the PS3/360 versions in their back pocket. Instead of pissing off everyone that has a WiiU basically guaranteeing almost no one will buy it on that platform then releasing it around the same time as GTA V.

Show of hands, is anyone going to spend 60$ on Rayman if it comes out the same day as GTAV?

Nope. Infact I was going to probably get legends on my Wii U but now since its delayed and I wont have the time or desire for it by then its a waste. If I ever do get it, it'll be on Wii U but only after a price drop months and months later. Probably used.

Axm has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Or they could have just not said anything, made some money on the WiiU version then had the PS3/360 versions in their back pocket. Instead of pissing off everyone that has a WiiU basically guaranteeing almost no one will buy it on that platform then releasing it around the same time as GTA V.

Show of hands, is anyone going to spend 60$ on Rayman if it comes out the same day as GTAV?

No one would give a fuck about the 360 and PS3 version if it came out more then a month after the Wii U version.

August or just wait til January next year. They ported Origins to others system late still did fine
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Or they could have just not said anything, made some money on the WiiU version then had the PS3/360 versions in their back pocket. Instead of pissing off everyone that has a WiiU basically guaranteeing almost no one will buy it on that platform then releasing it around the same time as GTA V.

No one would give a fuck about the 360 and PS3 version if it came out more then a month after the Wii U version.

So? why pass up guaranteed money for an uphill battle against more titles? Releasing on ps3 and 360 is just a way to placate owners of those consoles. Considering Origins didn't break past a few mill with 6 skus, on black Friday, half off. Releasing Legends to a content starved audience at 60$.

Origins didn't do terribly, but it was released on 6 skus and should have had more success.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Either have all the hype for a launch at a audience of over 100 million or have all the hype on a console with a few million I know which I would choose. Sure you have GTAV but many more games are coming out in Feb-March. You have the likes of Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Gears of War Judement all coming out within weeks of one another and then throw Rayman in there? Wii U owners may not have much to play on their systems but I doubt many people only have a Wii U and not a 360 and PS3 that they buy games for as well.

I believe the Wii U has sold around 2-3 millions systems. You are lucky if about 1 in 10 people who own the system you release on buy your game. 200-300k isn't a lot and I bet even against GTA it will still shift more units with the extra 100M install base.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Either have all the hype for a launch at a audience of over 100 million or have all the hype on a console with a few million I know which I would choose. Sure you have GTAV but many more games are coming out in Feb-March. You have the likes of Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Gears of War Judement all coming out within weeks of one another and then throw Rayman in there? Wii U owners may not have much to play on their systems but I doubt many people only have a Wii U and not a 360 and PS3 that they buy games for as well.

I believe the Wii U has sold around 2-3 millions systems. You are lucky if about 1 in 10 people who own the system you release on buy your game. 200-300k isn't a lot and I bet even against GTA it will still shift more units with the extra 100M install base.

Then you have a lot to learn about how things work.

First we'll talk install bases. So DMC was released at a time where over 100 million people had a console. Devil May Cry 4 was released in 2008, meanwhile the majority of ps3 and xbox consoles were sold after 2009. So in a world with only 40million consoles almost 3 million people bought the game. Now we can all say that DMC failed because of hate from people who like old DMC and have problems with black haired Dante, but the game can't clear 1.5 mill shipped with 100 million consoles out there. Les say the 3 mill of people that bought 4 didn't buy DMC that still means theres 97 million consoles that didn't play the game.

Ofcourse with only a few million 3ds handhelds out in the wild, Fantasy Life, as well as a bunch of other games have been able to clear 1 mill in japan alone.

A larger install base doesn't guarantee higher numbers.

Next lets look at the games releasing on the 26th, games that would have released same day as Rayman. Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires, Bit trip runner 2, Etrian odyssey 4 and Ninja gaiden sigma 2 plus. Aside from DWE7 Rayman was the only console game being released that day.

Bioshock infinite is a full month later at march 26th, Tomb Raider is on the 5th of march, god of war the 12th, gears of war the 19th. They're all not on WiiU. Now in September Rayman will be in direct competition with GTAV. A person that had a 360 and wanted other games, has a pay check or two before something else on another console they have comes out.

Since you didn't spend the last 6 months paying people 20-30k(and this team is made up of a few hundred people) you're costs are also much lower. You can make more money even if you sell less copies. This was also their only chance to sell 200-300k at 60$ considering Origins was sold at half that price and didn't fare much better per sku.

This whole thing was a bad idea.
Last edited by Segata Sanshiro Jr. on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Wouldn't a system that is new a new game like Rayman sell better on it as owners are looking for anything to feed their system.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Then you have a lot to learn about how things work.

Ok I'll go do some research.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:12 pm

I was about to go into the flawed argument of install base but your edit did it just fine. If that logic was ture. Damn Xenoblade and the Last Story would have outsold FFXIII 5-1 or something..just many many numbers :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 pm

The Wii's install base was something unique since the people who bought it where just in it for Wii Sports and maybe the odd Mario game. To bring it up in a conversation like this is just stupid. If you could look at who bought more then 2 or 3 games for the system then you could talk install base on that console.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 pm

Theres always the possibility I'm wrong and it turns out to be a massive success. I actually really like Rayman and was looking forward to this but even beyond being mad they basically made their situation worse. Personally I likely won't be able to buy it.

Riku Rose wrote:The Wii's install base was something unique since the people who bought it where just in it for Wii Sports and maybe the odd Mario game. To bring it up in a conversation like this is just stupid. If you could look at who bought more then 2 or 3 games for the system then you could talk install base on that console.

You mean like how 8 Call of Duty games were able to each sell over 6 million copies each and no other game is able to even get close? We can talk about if WiiFit is better then COD, but it doesn't matter people who bought Wiifit had to have gotten stuff like Madworld and monster hunter the same way people who bough COD had to have bought anarchy reigns and nier.
Last edited by Segata Sanshiro Jr. on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Ubisoft just announced that Assassins Creed 3 sold 12 million and Far Cry 3 sold around 4m. You also have the massive games such as Madden and Fifa which if the sports where popular all over the world would break records.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Ubisoft just announced that Assassins Creed 3 sold 12 million and Far Cry 3 sold around 4m. You also have the massive games such as Madden and Fifa which if the sports where popular all over the world would break records.

Yaaaay their lifetime sales are slightly higher then 1st month sales of COD.

Well I'm gunna let it roll, we'll see what happens.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Monster Hunter sold over 1 million. This next bit is going on memory which might be wrong but Wii Owners games owned was around the 7-8 range. Manny and me don't count with his 60 and my 40 lol :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: Ubisoft just announced that Assassins Creed 3 sold 12 million and Far Cry 3 sold around 4m. You also have the massive games such as Madden and Fifa which if the sports where popular all over the world would break records.

Yaaaay their lifetime sales are slightly higher then 1st month sales of COD.

Well I'm gunna let it roll, we'll see what happens.

Look at Gran Turismo then that sold more copies on PS3 then any CoD title has on the system. The difference in sales on the 360 and PS3 is nowhere near as drastic as most games on the Wii compared to Mario and Wii Fit.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:04 am

so what you're saying is that an install-base doesn't really affect the number or type of games people buy?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming