Grand Theft Auto V

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 pm

GTA V reinvents the open-world rules... again
Insane ambition meets supreme confidence in Rockstar's latest

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... les-again/

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/grand ... uto-v.aspx

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/grand ... uto-v.aspx

Summary From GTAV.net

You can buy property; houses, garages and businesses can all be purchased for extra revenue sources.

You can customise yourself with haircuts, new clothes, and tattoos

Each character is rated in a series of skill categories: Stamina, Shooting, Strength, Stealth, Flying, Driving, Mechanic, Lung Capacity.

Each character has a 'Special': Franklin is an adrenalin junkie and can slow down time while driving; Trevor has a frenzy mode, where he does double damage, takes half damage, and has a unique melee attack; Michael has his own version of bullet time

Specials are governed by a meter, it drains after use and recharges slowly

Other skill categories are shared and can be improved by completing missions, side missions, activities and more

Trevor will always be the best pilot, Franklin will always be the best driver but each can improve their proficiency a little

One of the skill categories is stealth, suggesting players will be able to take different approaches to missions

Pay N Sprays can also mod cars with paint jobs, new wheels, window tints, grilles, spoilers. Upgrades to suspension, engine and brakes can also be made.

Weapons can also be customised with laser sights, scopes, silencers, and high capacity magazines

You can pick up hitchikers, do stunt jumps and flying challenges, take part in yoga, golf, tennis or bike races.

Some boats will include gear such as wetsuit, flippers and tanks for diving

An underwater ecosystem exits, "the sea is teaming with fish and sharks"

Treasures can be found underwater, but NPCs will be looking for them too

GTAV rewards exploration, there's no signposting underwater, so you'll have to find the treasure the hard way

Dives won't offer massive payoffs, but will "help grease the wheels"

The character selection wheel is split into four triangles: Franklin, Trevor, Michael, and your multiplayer character

It seems there's a closer relationship between single and multiplayer. Simply pressing Down on the d-pad will drop the play in and out of MP.

Rockstar has said it will reveal more on multiplayer in the future

There are subtle differences in the way each character moves to reflect their personalities; Michael is slower and deliberate.

Rockstar says there will be five times as many pedestrians in GTA V as there were in Grand Theft Auto IV

There's a "crazy level of detail": Tourist buses can be boarded for a tour of celebrity homes, film posters are plastered on the walls, men in comedy costumes try to corner you outside the Cathay Theatre, including the Superman-like Impotent Rage and Master Chief riff, Space Ranger.

iFruit, the game's new phone, can be used to snap pictures and upload them to Rockstar's Social Club

The phone also has apps. In addition to the camera there is internet, contacts, social media, a calendar, and a replay missions app. There are three more Rockstar hasn't yet revealed.

Michael's obsession with classic films translates into in-game set pieces based on real world movies. In the demo the three characters mount a heist very similar to the one from Heat.

'Mini heists' are used to teach the player about preparation. Players must secure vehicles, outfits, masks, the getaway vehicle.

These build up to a bigger heist where the execution must be flawless.
They'll require the right crew and players will have to decide on the cheap option, which results in less skilled people, or paying more for skilled crew members that will take a larger cut.

You can switch between Franklin, Trevor and Michael during a cutscene, manually, or automatically when the AI takes control for you

Each character has a job to do, how much you switch yourself in or let the computer do, is entirely up to you

If you die the game reloads to the last checkpoint, even if two other characters are alive

Although it's up to the player when they switch, dialogue will suggest ideal moments. For example, when Michael and Franklin are being overwhelmed by snipers, Michael might ask for Trevor's help.

A combat roll has been introduced for moving between cover

There is a wider field of vision, and players can run-and-gun

A deer and a wildcat was spotted in the mountains.

Who Really Cares? has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Latin King
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Latin King » Fri May 03, 2013 4:13 am

Read the new previews today. Safe to say this game will be GOTY, probably the game of the decade. The San Andreas of this generation.
Latin King
West Coast
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri May 03, 2013 4:51 am

Previews got me

Edit- From IGN's article,
But GTA V does currently have GTA IV’s texture pop-in issues, and graphically, it’s unimpressive. It looks like an enhanced version of Grand Theft Auto IV with an extra sheen added, but it also doesn’t stand up to its far more graphically-impressive contemporaries. It doesn’t look five-plus years newer than the game that came before it. The good news is that no one plays GTA for its aesthetics, but it’s nonetheless worth noting that the game looks decidedly dated this late in Xbox 360’s and PlayStation 3’s lifecycle.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/02/g ... ity?page=2
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri May 03, 2013 11:26 am

I think it looks great, but I don't think I'm quite on everyone else's level of hype yet. So far I'm just seeing a huge game world and more of the same "create your own havoc" methodology that went in to the previous games. And even though that still always adds up to a great time, I'll really need to play it for myself or see some straight, unedited gameplay videos to get truly excited for it.
GTA4 was fun, and I enjoyed it while it lasted, but after it was done with I never felt the urge to go back to it. It was very much a one-time fling. And I hate to say it, but even Red Dead was kind of the same way. It was a great single playthrough experience... but I really don't know that I'll ever feel urged to play it again.
I think the only GTA's I've played through multiple times were GTAIII (because it was new, fresh, and interesting at the time) and Vice City (same reasons as III, but in a much nicer setting). But even then, they've lost their luster over time. I won't be going back to them any time soon, in all likelihood.
I feel like the title of "GOTY" ought to go to an experience that I'll find myself revisiting time after time. something that'll leave a lasting impression, and not just from the fact that it's pretty, or that the game world is huge. I'm hoping the story will be better this time (and judging from the newest trailers, it should be).

Don't get me wrong, I'll likely have a blast with this either way. It does look much better than IV. May even get it first day (I usually get roped into that with the GTA's). But I've heard about ten people proclaim "GOTY" on it already, and that just kinda rubs me the wrong way.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri May 03, 2013 2:23 pm

^I feel like this with most games I play nowadays
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Latin King » Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 am

OL wrote: I've heard about ten people proclaim "GOTY" on it already, and that just kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Sorry, to me it just looks like GOTY. I mean, it has everything I enjoy. An apparently great story (love the heist theme), the world looks and stunning and is huge, more customization than ever before (character, weapons, and vehicles), more vehicles and weapons than in any other GTA game, hunting, fishing, scuba diving, yoga, tennis, night clubs, bowling, darts, triathlons, bike races, sky diving, and so much more. I feel that this game will be the San Andreas of this generation. It's definitely looking epic so far and we've only heard very little of the game's features so far according to a Rockstar representative.
Latin King
West Coast

Postby Strikeout » Sat May 04, 2013 5:03 am

well i think the hype is just a logic consequence, gta 4 was epic, red dead redemption same epic, gta 4 addons are really cool too ---> gta 5 should be rockstar's new masterpiece
Strikeout

PSN: Valnes
Currently playing: nothing special

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun May 05, 2013 6:05 am

^Nah, GTAIV was shit. Red Dead was overrated and boring. Took away all of the fun of the previous games. Haven't really liked a single Rockstar release this gen, found 'em all boring, so I'm really cautious on getting excited about GTAV. I don't know if I'd even like it anymore, since my tastes have changed so much. I mean, large open worlds don't do it for me like they used to...maybe it's because I've played so many boring open world games now, it's put me off. The only type of open world games that excite me anymore are the ones in the settings that I've not seen done much, modern day settings like this set in an open world? Nothing for me to get excited about, since I've played like fifty variations on the same thing so many times now.

If they bring back the classic GTA style, where you could do what you wanted, I'd be game, but it looks like an extension of GTAIV's super serious game style, which isn't for me.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Latin King » Sun May 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: ^Nah, GTAIV was shit. Red Dead was overrated and boring. Took away all of the fun of the previous games. Haven't really liked a single Rockstar release this gen, found 'em all boring, so I'm really cautious on getting excited about GTAV. I don't know if I'd even like it anymore, since my tastes have changed so much. I mean, large open worlds don't do it for me like they used to...maybe it's because I've played so many boring open world games now, it's put me off. The only type of open world games that excite me anymore are the ones in the settings that I've not seen done much, modern day settings like this set in an open world? Nothing for me to get excited about, since I've played like fifty variations on the same thing so many times now.

If they bring back the classic GTA style, where you could do what you wanted, I'd be game, but it looks like an extension of GTAIV's super serious game style, which isn't for me.

You should try Max Payne 3, that game is a non-stop shooter, like an adrenaline rush!
Latin King
West Coast

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun May 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Got MP3 just before Christmas. Only played a few hours and what Ive played was dull. Its missing Remedy and more importantly its missing Sam Lake.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun May 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Latin King wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: ^Nah, GTAIV was shit. Red Dead was overrated and boring. Took away all of the fun of the previous games. Haven't really liked a single Rockstar release this gen, found 'em all boring, so I'm really cautious on getting excited about GTAV. I don't know if I'd even like it anymore, since my tastes have changed so much. I mean, large open worlds don't do it for me like they used to...maybe it's because I've played so many boring open world games now, it's put me off. The only type of open world games that excite me anymore are the ones in the settings that I've not seen done much, modern day settings like this set in an open world? Nothing for me to get excited about, since I've played like fifty variations on the same thing so many times now.

You should try Max Payne 3, that game is a non-stop shooter, like an adrenaline rush!

One of the most disappointing sequels this gen. Completely missed the point of the first two Max Payne games. It's a revision of the series. Didn't like the story at all. And I didn't particularly like the gunplay either. I mean, the game had a lot of potential to live up to since MP1 and 2 are classics in my eyes, but they failed miserably.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 pm

If you only knew, if you only knew.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon May 06, 2013 3:22 am

I know they had a hand in it but on a whole its still R* game and largely written by Dan Houser who's just not very good as a writer IMO.

Game just doesn't feel like its connected to the first 2.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon May 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Like OL when I pice finished a Rockstar game I'm pretty much done with it. After I beat the story in GTA4 I think I only went back about twice to play multiplayer with friends. I've never found it fun to just drive around in a sandbox game or see how high I can get my wanted level.

With all that said and done I'll buy it day one because the missions in GTA games are always a blast to play.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon May 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Still put IV on now and then today just to cause carnage around the city.

Best game ever to run people over :mrgreen:
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming