Dark Souls

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Dark Souls

Postby Tuffty » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 pm

^
I went for Smough first cause I felt I could handle him better. I'm a Pyromancer you see, and levelled up my pyromancy flame quite a lot so it took quite a lot of health to just cast fireballs anytime he did his butt stomp attack. Also I had Quelaag's Furysword at that point and it deals extra fire damage which I think Smough is susceptible to. Make sure whatever shield you are using blocks physical attacks completely. It was only going through Anor Londo that I caught on about the importance of using the appropriate gear wherever you are in Dark Souls. Having said that I don't think it does a lot of help in this. Stick with it though, it's notoriously the hardest battle of the game, when you get past it you get a brilliant reward for it too.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Its too bad there isn't a more open multiplayer option like a co-op campaign. I think we'd all play it, and since we all have very different specialties and styles it would be pretty fun.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:47 am

Maybe that's what they mean by making Dark Souls II "more accessible"? Like a more open multiplayer? I would like to see that too.

Anyway, just going to boast for a bit.

I BEAT ORNSTEIN & SMOUGH. WOOHOO! YEEEEAH! *ahem* Sorry. I feel guilty for abusing Caps Lock now.

Now I have the special items, making the game even more fun and instead I am now instead getting my backside kicked by
the Grey Wolf Sif.

Love this game.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Tuffty » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:23 am

I wouldn't worry too much about this claim of DS2 being more accessible. Miyazaki himself has come out and said that there is a core experience which will be protected i.e. the difficulty level and how you achieve things in-game. Linking up with friends would be cool, I have a friend who's playing the game and enjoying it, but he can't get past the twin gargoyles. If I could join his game I would easily help him out, but I can't. So that would be handy to have. Stuff like inventory management could be handled better too. And why not have some more direct story telling in there? Just to see what it's like. All this talk about From Software having creative bankruptcy because they called it Dark Souls 2 is just ridiculous.

Henry:
Congratulations!! The feeling of defeating O&S is pretty damn satisfying huh? Good luck with Sif ( Poor Sif :( ), but just remember, you have plenty of other options to explore at this point.

EDIT

I have beaten Dark Souls! I AM THE GREATEST VIDEO GAME PLAYER OF ALL TIME
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:42 pm

That would be a funny room to be in

*sees hydra*
Me: THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
*runs at Hydra...gets killed in one hit*
Everyone elase: GODDAMNIT!

You guys got me in the mood to keep playing it.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:04 pm

^ I take it you only played a little bit of it? Play more. Do iiiiiiittttt.

Some Dark Souls II artwork that's been released. And some details from the Edge magazine story

- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

- Development started in September last year, and was done in parallel with some of the Dark Souls patches and DLC content.

- The game is 25% complete, and the team is substantially larger than Dark Souls. The world creation internal staff for the sequel is nearly double that of the first game.

- The game might not make it for 2013.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:22 pm

I just got to Sen's Fortress (I think that's what it's called, right?) after ringing the second bell.
Thing is, I did so much wandering around before getting here that I seem to have completed a few things on the side that maybe I shouldn't have done yet...
I already beat the
Great Grey Wolf Sif. No clue what the ring I got from him is even for yet. Probably story-related, I'd guess.

I already ventured through the Catacombs and killed the
Pinwheel mage (haven't gone further in to the tomb of giants or whatever it's called though. I'd rather get some light magic first).

Not sure if it's unusual or not to do it at this point, but I also went past Quelaag's Lair to the
Demon Ruins and killed Ceaseless Discharge.
The Demon Ruins look pretty intimidating further in though. I can kill just about any of the enemies there in pnly a few hits (my weapon is incredibly good, it seems like), but actually getting hit poses a bit of a problem.

And I've already explored the
Londo Ruins and Valley of Drakes about as far as I can go. Killed the poison dragon (or whatever its actual name might be) sub-boss in the Valley of Drakes with a bunch of arrows, and exploring the Londo Ruins early actually gave me a really useful reward: the Cursebite Ring. Made it much easier to deal with those big-eyed frog things in the Depths.

Oh, and I already traveled back to the Undead Asylum from the beginning of the game, fell through the floor there, and beat the
Stray Demon. I probably retried on him more than any other demon so far, but once you figure him out, he's not all that hard.

I'm just in love with this damn game. It's too addicting. It actually feels rewarding as I accomplish new things and find new areas to explore. Grabbed up the Demon's Souls deluxe edition the other day, so I may drop right into that after this.

Oh, and in regards to "making the game more accessible," I can only say that From Software has handled that kind of thing amazingly well in the past. Armored Core V was meant to make the series more accessible as well, and it still had everything a great Armored Core game should have. The difficulty wasn't gimped down, the controls weren't simplified, the customization wasn't scaled back. The biggest change I can see that they did to make it more accessible at all was to include bigger, more story-based missions and areas.
That particular detail doesn't apply to Dark Souls of course, but what I'm saying is that I have absolute faith in From Software to retain what the fans love about their games.
Should go without saying, but From is still one of my absolute favorite dev studios. I think at this point, I'll pick up just about anything they make.

OL has received a thanks from: KiBa
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 pm

OL wrote: I just got to Sen's Fortress (I think that's what it's called, right?) after ringing the second bell.
Thing is, I did so much wandering around before getting here that I seem to have completed a few things on the side that maybe I shouldn't have done yet...
I already beat the
Great Grey Wolf Sif. No clue what the ring I got from him is even for yet. Probably story-related, I'd guess.

Sen's Fortress yes. Always liked that place for the additional challenge of the environment trying to kill you as well.

The ring you got after beating Sif is important. That's all I'll say. What did you think of the fight? A lot of people consider that fight to be one of the most affecting moments in the game, as you see Sif limping and struggling to swing the sword as you get him close to no health.

I'm surprised you got the Black Knight Sword so early, it's a brilliant weapon to have so early on, more powerful than the Drake sword and still even holds up as one of the best among it's type. What type of character are you playing as anyway? What type of build are you going for?

Also, what did you think of Blighttown?
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:12 pm

Tuffty wrote:
The ring you got after beating Sif is important. That's all I'll say. What did you think of the fight? A lot of people consider that fight to be one of the most affecting moments in the game, as you see Sif limping and struggling to swing the sword as you get him close to no health.

Actually, I guess I didn't notice any of that. :lol:
My whole strategy for beating him was to stay as close as possible; most of the time I'd end up right underneath him, making a series of two-handed swings easy to pull off. I guess I didn't stand far enough away to notice any change of animation, because he was still swinging and jumping around me because of our close proximity.

Tuffty wrote:I'm surprised you got the Black Knight Sword so early, it's a brilliant weapon to have so early on, more powerful than the Drake sword and still even holds up as one of the best among it's type. What type of character are you playing as anyway? What type of build are you going for?

I'm pretty much just a walking tank. Not that I can take much damage necessarily, but so far I'm all about brute force. My strength, dexterity, and endurance are all up around 25-28 at the moment, while everything else is somewhere in the teens.
I started as a knight, so that's primarily the kind of gear I equip. Heavier armor slows you down a bit, but the protection is worth it for me so far. And I have the Grass Crest Shield (or the Mask of Child, if I need to use a different shield) equipped so that my stamina refills super fast.
I'm basically playing as a sword-swinging crazy person.

And Blighttown wasn't too bad. The enemies were generally easy to kill (except for those fat rock-throwers in the swamps), and poison damage was no problem since I'd already spent so much time in the Darkroot Garden, where the tree enemies have a really frequent drop rate of purple moss.
Only difficult thing about it was the actual structure of the dungeon, which is just a pain to find your way through. It basically looks like a big junk heap, so it's hard to tell where exactly to go, unlike the corridor-centric dungeons of the rest of the game.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm

OL wrote:
Actually, I guess I didn't notice any of that. :lol:
My whole strategy for beating him was to stay as close as possible; most of the time I'd end up right underneath him, making a series of two-handed swings easy to pull off. I guess I didn't stand far enough away to notice any change of animation, because he was still swinging and jumping around me because of our close proximity.

Oh ok! :lol: I think there's more to it than just the animation as well. Most bosses in that game want to kill you because it's in their nature or for legitmate reasons known to them (Quelaag wants to kill you so she can take your humanity and give it to her sister to heal her), but Sif was protecting Artorias' grave. So you're just marching on in there when all Sif is really doing is still protecting his master even though he passed on many years ago. I kind of got the same vibe from playing Shadow of the Colossus, another atmospheric game that succeeds in making you feel isolated. I guess that's why you might see 'Imminent tears' signs everywhere outside the white wall.

And damn you and your Blighttown! See I didn't have any purple moss to heal with because I hadn't gone through the Darkroot Basin at that point, giving me a lot of grief. Funny how player's experiences can vary with this game.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: OL
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:33 am

I think the biggest problem with this game is that there isn't any kind of "glossary" feature to look things up in. It's incredibly easy to just go through the game without taking into consideration the various characters you're coming across, the reasons why certain areas are the way they are, what certain terms mean in the grand scheme of it all.
You were absolutely right before in saying that there's a really cool, incredibly deep mythos going on in it. The problem is, very little of it is presented directly to you. You have to remember terms and names from the descriptions of the items you pick up, or remember an obscure reference during a line of dialogue and relate it to something that happens later.
I mean, it's kind of cool that they kept it all so vague (I'm sure that makes it feel rewarding to people who piece it all together and understand everything), but it'd be really nice if you could hear a name mentioned, then just go look it up so you can understand it all in context.
I'm addicted to the game, and I've absolutely fallen in love with it. But I actually kind of feel bad that I don't always know what the hell is going on.

Either way, I just got to
Ornstein and Smough.

Not sure why I put that in spoilers actually, since it's just a couple of names that mean nothing out of context.

But yeah, on the subject of bosses I actually felt bad about fighting, [spoiler]Crossbreed Priscilla comes to mind. I didn't even think about it at first, but I didn't have to attack her. I just rushed around her and slashed from behind out of instinct; there was a "boss" lifebar at the bottom of the screen, so I figured hey, start attacking.
Turns out I didn't have to at all. I could have walked right by her. But instead, I was the douchebag that swung first.
Despite the gain in XP and receiving her soul (which might be made into a weapon later), it still almost felt like an unnecessary loss of life in a weird way. :sad:
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:51 am

I actually think the next Dark souls should come with a journal. See when I (and just about everyone else) played the first few Ultima games they had to keep one in order to understand whats going on. I feel like its the same kind of deal, its so implicit but so deep that we could write out own interpretations.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:10 am

^ I love it when games require (or almost require) you to have some sort of physical something in order to complete the game, or at least get the most out of it. Such as old RPGs when reading the manuel was almost necessary, also maps included with the box. My copy of Deus Ex comes with a newspaper with articles from the universe that the game takes place in -- cool stuff. Sometimes it can be annoying when trying to play old, and of print, games. For example, KiBa recommended that I play A Mind Forever Voyaging, an older infocom text adventure, which I'm sure I could easily pirate... however I need the Feelies in order to really complete the game (at least thats how I understand it) so I'd need to find an original copy with all of its included parts.

Pretty neat but frustrating at times.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:13 am

This is pretty funny, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this but Kingdom of amaular borrowed preeeeeeeetty heavy from Dark Souls.

Shot for shot a few scenes from the opening of Dark Souls get recreated in Kingdoms.

I'm playing both games on and off so I'm really seeing how similar they are. I'm not riffin on kingdoms I just find it funny that so much is borrowed. To me this is what RPGs is all about. A Japanese studio takes a concept that was originally conceived in America, shakes it up, makes it better, then an American developer takes the idea and works it over and makes something thats just as fun. I love seeing shit like this.

Now to fuck more bosses.

Tuffty wrote:I take it you only played a little bit of it? Play more. Do iiiiiiittttt.

I was alittle disappointed, in something like 2 or 3 hours I got to the moonlight butterfly and was a hit away from killing it when I died. I heard so much about how hard it was but I breezed through without knowing anything pretty much anything so I was really disappointed. Plus I had just got Sonic Generations and i played the shit out of that. I think nows a good time, so I'll get to chop through it and most likely buy the DLC for it.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:14 am

Another interview on DS2

New Dark Souls 4Gamer Director Interview [full translation] #1

4Gamer:
Miyazaki-san, I was very surprised to hear that you won’t be directly involved in the development of Dark Souls II.

Miyazaki:
That’s correct. Shibuya is working as the director for Dark Souls II. He’s worked on the Another Century’s Episode series--most recently R.

4Gamer:
With that being so, what’s going to happen to you?

Miyazaki:
Saying “what’s going to happen” makes it sound like a big deal (laughs). My official title is still “supervisor.”

4Gamer:
With Dark Souls really being your series—having developed Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls—I think a lot of fans are going to feel uneasy about your separating from it.

Miyazaki:
Hmm, I wonder…

Well, either way, I don’t think anyone needs to feel uneasy in that sense. The director—Shibuya—is far more experienced than me as a developer, and he understands the idea and delicate nuance of Dark Souls, so I think it’s OK to trust him.

4Gamer:
Why did you step away from the development of Dark Souls II in the first place?

Miyazaki:
That decision came from the company.

When it comes to Dark Souls, I have a lot of affection towards it and things to gain from it. Being so attached to the title, it would be a lie if I were to say I’m not a bit sad.

4Gamer:
Of course.

Miyazaki:
However, I don’t look negatively at the decision to change directors. While I hesitate to say this myself, I think that Dark Souls, as a game base, has immense potential, and a change in directors will give it a chance to be released from narrow frame or limitations that I imposed upon it. As someone who created the game base of Dark Souls, I would really like to see what that potential is.

At the same time, I’m also working as director on another project, so there’s that.

4Gamer:
Really? That’s some pretty huge news. Is it OK to put that in article?

Miyazaki:
Well, I don’t mind. It would be weird if I said I wasn't working on anything. With that said, we’re not at the point where I can speak to specifics about the project, and this interview is about Dark Souls II, so let’s leave it at that.

4Gamer:
OK. So, going back to Dark Souls II, you said that your title on the project is “supervisor.” What exactly does this role involve?

Miyazaki:
There are two main parts to the role. The first is deciding the more broad direction for Dark Souls II.

4Gamer:
So, kind of like a producer?

Miyazaki:
It’s a little different. In terms of a producer’s job, it’s more like I did only the first part. Frankly, what I did was make decisions about things that would be easier if I just decided them on my own. Things like making sure our budget is enough, and what our development schedule will be like, including testing. When it comes to things that are a bit closer to players, I decided that we should have our own game servers this time, and that we shouldn't sell individual items or weapons as DLC—stuff like that.

4Gamer:
What’s the other main part to your role?

Miyazaki:
It’s overall supervision, although I don’t like how important that makes me sound.

That involves making sure that I convey things like the core game mechanics that I feel should not be taken out of a sequel to Dark Souls, as well as what we (the development team of the previous title) learned from working on the game, and the many points that we felt could be improved. Also, if I feel things are getting a bit off course, I explain the concept again, and ask the team to consider making adjustments. In reality, there have already been a quite a few cases where I've done such things, and depending on the situation, I may need to re-think the boundaries of “supervisor” role.

4Gamer:
So rather than giving direct instructions, you’re in a more indirect role?

Miyazaki:
I don’t intend to interfere more than necessary. I think, in the end, a game should be created under a director’s coherent vision, and you end up getting better results when that happens. I mentioned core game mechanics earlier, and I think there are many elements that can be fixed, improved, or adjusted in that area. When it comes to the feel of the world, the story, and the artwork, all of that is rather subjective, and comes down to individual sense, so I try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible.

As I said before, Shibuya is a very experienced developer with many projects under his belt, and honestly not a whole lot of supervision is required, nor do I think it’s desired.

4Gamer:
However, is there no worry that, when the creator changes, the direction of the game and core elements might deviate?

Miyazaki:
In general, I understand the concern.

However, when it comes to Dark Souls, so many people in the media and so many of our players have given us very passionate and amazing reviews and impressions, as well as criticism and complaints, and the majority of these are all kind of pointing in the same direction. From a creator’s perspective, this makes Dark souls a very fortunate and rare title, indeed.

All of these things will prove to be valuable assets in ensuring that the direction and core elements of Dark Souls II don’t get off track, and with that in mind, I hope everyone will put their trust in the new director and the development team.

So, with that said, I think it would be good for Shibuya to get a chance to talk directly. I don’t want to inconvenience him and his team any more by just saying whatever comes to my mind (laughs).

----------------------------

4Gamer:
We just spoke with Miyazaki-san about how you came to be the director of Dark Souls II.

Shibuya:
Yes. Thanks for having me here today.

4Gamer:
I heard that you are quite the veteran director within From Software. What have you worked on lately?

Shibuya:
Most recently I led the development of our new graphics engine, and worked on testing out new middleware. Before that I worked as a director on series such as Another Century’s Episode.

4Gamer:
A new graphics engine! Does that mean Dark Souls II will be using it?

Shibuya:
Yes. Separate from Dark Souls II’s development, engine research and development had been ongoing. We knew that, in order to more seriously set our eyes on the global market, we would have to improve our graphics, so the decision to implement a new engine was made.

4Gamer:
The graphics engine from Dark Souls was too old, then?

Shibuya:
That’s not what I meant. We used the same engine for Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls, but we decided to change the feel of the graphics [for Dark Souls II], so what’s why we decided to change the engine.

4Gamer:
I see. And since you came from that background, that’s why you were chosen as the director this time?

Shibuya:
With Dark Souls II, we need to face new technical challenges, so in that sense, perhaps I fit the role since I was working on the new graphics engine.

4Gamer:
In any case, with a new engine, is it safe to assume that the graphics will be greatly improved?

Shibuya:
I think the shading and lighting tech will allow us to create a more natural atmosphere, and we have a lot more expressive capabilities when it comes to the characters and monsters.

4Gamer:
Is the development team the same as that of Dark Souls?

Shibuya:
It would be more accurate to call it a “hybrid team.” Of course some of the team members worked on Dark Souls, but we also brought in a lot of highly capable members.

4Gamer:
I’d like to talk more about Dark Souls II. Is there any connection to the original in terms of the feel of the world?

Shibuya:
It’s not a sequel in terms of story, but that doesn’t mean the feel of the world is completely different. The game is set in the same world as the previous title, but the story takes place in a different location and with different humans (players).

4Gamer:
Might we expect to see some characters returning from the previous game?

Shibuya:
I can’t go into details about that, so I’ll leave it up to your imagination for now.

4Gamer:
Can we expect any changes in direction, such as making the game world a more wide open field?

Shibuya:
In regards to the map, we plan on adhering to the style established in Dark Souls (where the world is split up into areas). We aren’t really considering making it more of an open-world style.

4Gamer:
Miyazaki-san said that he’s leaving the overall concept up to you. Can you talk about the overall direction of the game?

Shibuya:
Dark Souls is a title that already has a very large fan base, so first and foremost, I think it’s important to make sure we don’t let those players down. As such, we don’t plan on changing the framework for Dark Souls II. On the contrary, we are focusing on really highlighting the best parts of the previous game and going in that direction. The concept is to give the game a major upgrade while leaving the good parts of Dark Souls as-is.

4Gamer:
Is there anything you are you focusing on in particular.

Shibuya:
It’s really hard for me to put it into words, but one aspect is the visual scene and atmosphere of each location. I really want to give those things more depth. Above all, what I want to do most is to incorporate a lot of “ideas that utilize the player’s attentiveness.”

4Gamer:
What are some examples of that?

Shibuya:
For example, if the player sees blood flowing towards them, they’ll think “what is this blood?” “Where is it coming from?” Situations like that. I want to create more situations that bring about doubt in the player—make them think “why?”—or give them a sense of foreboding death wherever they go. I want to focus on creating really elaborate environments that may look like nothing special at first, but may contain paths for players who are look closely enough.

4Gamer:
In Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls there were situations where you could see some treasure up ahead, but knew that there was something wrong or dangerous. Do you mean to improve how situations like those are staged?

Shibuya:
By using visuals, movement and sound, I hope to create situations and scenes like that.

4Gamer:
Should I interpret that as “increasing the sense of exploration?” I feel like I may be getting it wrong, so I want to ask.

Shibuya:
It’s a little different. When you say “increase the sense of exploration,” some people may interpret that as “oh, so the map got bigger,” or “the map got more complex, then,” but what I’m talking about is more about the elaborate creation of localized or individual environments and scenes.

4Gamer:
Could you give me an example that makes it easy to imagine?

Shibuya:
Let’s see. For example, say there’s a well. An enemy might jump out of it, or if you take a look inside, you might find treasure. When the player finds a well they’ve never seen before, they’ll stop to take a look at the well and think “I wonder which it will be this time.” That’s the kind of situation I’m imagining. By making the player more aware of the well, I want them to use their imagination and think about it. That’s the kind of thing I really want to work on in Dark Souls II.

4Gamer:
Whenever I hear talk about “intentions to make a blockbuster” or “focusing on the global market,” I usually think that developers are going to steer in the direction of something like God of War or Call of Duty and make really bombastic and straightforward productions, but hearing you talk today, it sounds like the areas you’re focusing on are much more subdued, and, if anything, that’s what makes it sound interesting.

Shibuya:
With games today, you’re really able to express anything you want. That can be a good thing, but it can also spoil the fun of making players think for themselves. We want to continue providing that kind of fun (the fun of imagination), so that’s one of the concepts this time around.

4Gamer:
What about the content volume this time around? Is it going to be increased dramatically?

Shibuya:
We don’t plan on increasing the volume by a large amount from the previous title. It will probably increase somewhat, though. The time it takes to complete the game will probably be about the same as that of the previous title. I plan on spending most of our resources on creating more elaborate scenes and situations as I discussed a moment ago.

4Gamer:
The focus is on quality over quantity, then?

Shibuya:
That’s right. I think part of the allure is the “sense of adventure.” I really want to convey the feeling of advancing one step at a time and groping your way forward.

4Gamer:
You spoke about already having a large fan base, but how are you planning to adjust the difficult in Dark Souls II? To be honest, I can’t help but think that the needs of your existing fans and that of new players might be conflicting.

Shibuya:
Just as you say, it’s a difficult proposition. That’s why we plan on making the early parts of the game comparatively less difficult to ease new players in, and then at a certain point, we’ll tell them “this is where the real game begins.”

4Gamer:
So, a “The real Demon’s Souls starts here.” type of thing?

Shibuya:
Exactly. In reality, I’m sure we’ll get quite a few new players with Dark Souls II, but existing players will probably represent the majority, so we need to make sure we satisfy their needs.

4Gamer:
Speaking of which, Miyazaki-san said that you will run dedicated servers to support the online system for the game. Will multiplayer aspects be a focus in Dark Souls II?

Shibuya:
Yes. At the center we have the gameplay of a strong standalone game, and from there we focus our efforts on adding online elements and multiplayer elements that utilize the dedicated servers.

4Gamer:
In terms of online elements, in previous titles you had the blood stain system, the messaging system, and the concept of “loose connections.” Do you plan to change the direction at all for Dark Souls II?

Shibuya:
We plan to retain those concepts and expand upon them, too.

4Gamer:
I see. Allow me to get off topic for a moment. Is there anything you’re into right now outside of games?

Shibuya:
Recently, I’ve really been enjoying the western drama series called The Walking Dead (laughs). There’s a certain indescribable sorrow to it that I really like…

4Gamer:
Yeah, The Walking Dead is great. I think there’s something about zombie stuff that really stimulates a kind of fundamental emotion in humans. I feel that Dark Souls may also have something in common with that.

Shibuya:
I’m not really paying attention to the survival or action aspects of The Walking Dead. I’m more focused on the transition of the characters’ thoughts and feelings, and how scenes are shown when people get taken. At certain intervals, there are these really tense moments woven into the otherwise ordinary story, and seeing them play out, I can’t help but think “this is really well done.”

4Gamer:
How far have you made it into the show?

Shibuya:
I’ve watched up until the end of Season 2. There are so many heartrending scenes. I’m really enjoying it… Anyway, enough about The Walking Dead.

4Gamer:
Sorry. The reason I asked is that I wanted to know a little bit about what kind of things you think are important when creating something. I feel like a creator’s perspective on things is often reflected in what they make.

Shibuya:
To speak on that point, we had “feeling of loneliness” and “despair” as keywords for Dark Souls, and in the sequel I plan to add “sorrow” (note: “setsunai” is the word used in Japanese that can mean “sorrow,” “sadness,” “heartache,” or even “bittersweet,” etc. depending on the context) as one of the keywords.

4Gamer:
I’m having trouble imagining what you mean.

Shibuya:
For example, the kind of sorrow that is conveyed by the subtle scenery, or the sense of sorrow that that wells up after defeating something… That’s the kind of thing I want to include in the game.

4Gamer:
Are you talking about how to create new experiences or stimulate new emotions?

Shibuya:
That’s right. When playing Dark Souls, one of the experiences was to feel that sense of loneliness or despair.
In Dark Souls II, those aspects will definitely be there, too, but if that’s all we had we wouldn’t be able to create new experiences. That’s why when we create Dark Souls II, it’s our job to figure out what kind of new experiences and emotions we can put into the game.

4Gamer:
In that respect, it’s often said that Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls sold well because of the word-of-mouth it received, but the word-of-mouth surrounding those games was really unique and interesting.

Shibuya:
What do you mean by that?

4Gamer:
How can I say this… The word-of-mouth surrounding Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls was all about each player’s personal experience. For example, where the player died, or where they fell into a trap, or where they gave up… It wasn’t about the story, or whether the game was fun or boring. I feel like everyone was talking directly about their experiences with the game.

Shibuya:
I see. I think that’s actually very important.

4Gamer:
With Dark Souls II, you plan to have a lot of “sorrowful” experiences in the game, then?

Shibuya:
Yes. Also, one other concept of Dark Souls II is that of “time.” (note: the word he’s using—“刻toki”—is probably more accurately described as “a specific moment in time.”)

4Gamer:
Oh. What’s an example of that?

Shibuya:
Umm… (while eyeing the PR representative in the room) it looks like I can’t actually talk about that, so let’s just say that “time” is one of the keywords (laughs).

4Gamer:
Dark Souls II has become a title with big expectations from players around the world. Do the two of you feel pressured at all?

Shibuya:
I’m very much aware of how big everyone's expectations are, so I need to make sure I don’t let our players down.

Miyazaki:
I also feel strongly that I want to meet everyone’s expectations.
However, since this is my first time playing the role of supervisor, and since I’m not directly involved in the development, there’s a certain frustration there, but I’ll do my best.

4Gamer:
To change the subject again, I wanted to mention that Dark Souls with Artorias of the Abyss Edition won the PlayStation Awards 2012 User’s Choice Award. Congratulations!

Miyazaki:
Thank you. The timing of the game's release must have been right near the end of the voting period, so I was very surprised. It’s always such an honor to win the User’s Choice Award. I’m very thankful for everyone that voted for us.

4Gamer:
How many units did Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls end up selling?

Miyazaki:
I’m not in the position to comment on the sales of Demon’s Souls, but in regards to Dark Souls, I think it's over 1.5 million units at least. I've never been one to focus on sales, though, so these numbers might be somewhat old.

4Gamer:
Hopefully Dark Souls II can go on to perform even better. To close out this interview, is there anything you’d like to say to our readers?

Miyazaki:
First of all, as the director of Dark Souls and as representative of its development team, I’d really like to express our thanks to everyone once more. I really think Dark Souls is a game that was nurtured by its fans, and that’s a big part of the reason why Dark Souls II is now getting so much attention. Thank you all, and please look forward to Dark Souls II.

Shibuya:
The development team and myself are doing our best creating Dark Souls II, so please look forward to the release of the game.

4Gamer:
Miyazaki-san and Shibuya-san, thank you again for your time today.

Miyazaki &Shibuya:
Thank you.

Tuffty has received 2 thanks from: OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming