Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Jungle Green N64, with Jungle Green Controller, Atomic Purple Controller, Expansion pak, expansion pak cover (which alot of them have missing), power and av wires, rumble pak, memory card, and 3 games (including Resident Evil 2, which was the only one I really cared about from this bundle). The rumble pak and memory card werent shown in the item pictures, I didnt even know I was getting them. It was bitter sweet though, WCW vs NWO doesnt work, diddy kong racing said the memory card doesnt work, and the yellow cord on the av wires was ripped open and I could see copper, luckily I got out my gamecube av cable which worked fine. even with the broken stuff, I still think it was a steal for only $105, the jungle green console by itself (with no wires or anything) goes for $40-50 and the jungle green controller goes from $25-35, and the expansion paks go for $20 and diddy kong racing and RE2 are about $15 each, so yeah nuff said just on that stuff alone, hell even the little expansion pak cover was like $5-10, absolutely nuts buying individually.

Also after investigating the rumble pak, which worked fine, I am beginning to question if these are not the original batteries that came with this thing! and how they have lasted so long, I have no idea! :shock:

AnimeGamer183 has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, Sonikku
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Gog.com is having an AMAZING sale right now. So instead of getting this for it's regular 19.99 price tag, I got it for a whole 3.99.
Been wanting to play this for so damn long. Haven't gotten into it much yet, but I'm pretty excited to finally have the opportunity. This is one that really needs some kind of special physical release someday.

OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:01 am

Oppy has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:50 pm

^ Great choices. I have them both. KH 2.5 HD will be out later this year. and hopefully FF12 HD will follow shortly after that.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Ok, I'm trying to find a new good game to play. I've heard about Metal Gear for years. What's so good about it? I currently have a PS2 and 360 if that helps with recommendations.

My top games in no specific order to give you a feeling of what games I like:
Portal 1&2
Red Dead Redemption
Dead Rising 1
Zelda series
Mario series
Tales of Phantasia, Vesperia
GTA IV and V
Halo
Resident Evil 4
American McGee's Alice
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:24 pm

If you've never played the original Metal Gear Solid for PS1, now's as good a time as any. Based on your taste, I imagine you'd like it. It's hard to pinpoint the appeal, because, well... just about everything about it is great. I guess the main draw is the story, characters, and atmosphere. Some of the absolute best on the original Playstation, without a doubt.The gameplay is great too, but as stealth goes, it's pretty basic. It's a classic though, so you really ought to play it. You'll likely feel the need to play the rest of the series immediately after.

EDIT: And just to add a few more recommendations based on your list:
Tales of the Abyss
Star Ocean: Til the End of Time
The Onimusha series
Darksiders
Dishonored
The Darkness 1&2 (second game has better gameplay, but the first game sets up the story brilliantly)
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Id say go ahead an play MGS3 first. Then play 1. 3 has the better gameplay and graphics, (imho story too) so you'll get the best first impression of the series. 3 builds a foundation for the whole story so you'll trip balls at the end of playing 1 too if you do. Then play MGS2 then 4 and then Peace Walker if you're going to go for 5 in the future.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:08 pm

So in other words just buy MGS Legacy collection, its so worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid- ... collection

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Axm
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:55 pm

I agree with getting the Legacy collection but I say play the games in the order they were released.

MGS1 will seem different after you played MGS3.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:00 pm

He doesn't have a PS3, so the Legacy Collection is a no-go.

But yeah, I agree with Kenny, just play the games in order rather than doing a chronological timeline thing. I personally think the full weight of MGS3 (which is a prequel) depends on whether you know the series already. And it's not like you'd need to worry about which game will give the best first impression; MGS1 is flat-out PS1 excellence no matter how you slice it. If later games are better, it's just something to look forward to.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:02 am

Not only that but trying to go from MGS3 to MGS1 just isnt fair to MGS1 cause its such an older game. Play the original first and play them in order, and then after you have experienced them in their game play and game system progression order, you can go back and play them in their chronological order, you dont wanna get lost in the gap between the systems of MGS1 compared to MGS3, cause you played what some would consider to be a better version of the MGS gameplay, first.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:46 am

I still think it doesnt hurt either way. I just know some people out there get thrown too far back graphically sometimes that they become disinterested. That would be unfortunte for him if it does turn out like that. MGS1 has great graphics and gameplay for its time but I know if someone gave me it today and I was blind to the series I know id care more about playing 1 after experiencing the quality of 3. Personal preference really. I usually care more about playing an older series of games when the story is whats motivating me. So if I have to deal with dated graphics or gameplay im more encouraged to finish because atleast the story is still driving me.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Oppy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:32 am

Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:09 am

I have played about 20 minutes of that and haven't put it on again. It gave me the vibe that it was one of those "need to be in the mood to play it" type of games.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:11 pm

OL wrote:EDIT: And just to add a few more recommendations based on your list:
Tales of the Abyss
Star Ocean: Til the End of Time
The Onimusha series
Darksiders
Dishonored
The Darkness 1&2 (second game has better gameplay, but the first game sets up the story brilliantly)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a 9-month-old so video games are a luxury now as is my time(not that I'd have it any other way). I may see if I can borrow a friend's PS3 and play the MG Legacy collection. I like stealth games but hate stealth games that are ambiguous where I'm yelling "There's no way he could have seen me!!"

I've played most of the Tales games prior to(and including) Vesperia. Phantasia will always be my favorite because of how much it grabbed me emotionally.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: OL
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming