Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby south carmain » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Picked up new vegas on ps3 for 2.50£ today. Though i didnt really like fallout 3 since it was so cheap and i heard it improved on a lot of things that f3 did wrong i decided why not.

Also got saints row 4
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:26 pm

I hope so. I'm not feeling it so far... :X I know I shouldn't compare it to Shenmue but... a lot of people say if you like Shenmue you'd like this game but eh...

It has a fixed camera, the loading times are much worse than Shenmue, like around around every corner... it's annoying. When you fight it's annoying to actually get your character to face the enemies... I read there are a lot of side quests but it seems like most of the NPCs you can't even talk to, so far, I really hate the dub, and the graphics I feel are worse than SI and SII and those are Dreamcast games that came out years before this game... I'm going to continue to play it but for the people that recommended I play it based on my liking of Shenmue, they have no idea wtf they're talking about. :rotflmao:
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:35 pm

The only similarity with shenmue is it's small open world and has a japanese setting with an arcade and mini games. Though this is one of the reasons why a lot of people enjoyed shenmue so it does make some sense recommending it to shenmue fans. But yeah of course don't be expecting the same quality as shenmue in gameplay considering that their budgets are no where near comparable even if shenmue was released before it.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Honestly, Yakuza is one of those series I felt was hard to get into at first, due to the Shenmue comparisons, I don't think it's really fair to the original Yakuza (or to Shenmue either, really), since that game more has a style more akin to arcade style brawlers like the sort of classics that Technos used to make back in the 1980s and 1990s (River City Ransom, Combatribes, Double Dragon etc) but an attempt at modernising it. At least, that's the impression I get that the designers of the Yakuza series were going for, [in the beginning anyway] - sure people who worked on Shenmue 1 and 2 worked on Yakuza, but it's a different style entirely than what Shenmue was going for and has a different design sense. Shenmue is more adventure with heavy emphasis on the little details/intricacies, Yakuza more an arcade style beat 'em up with heavy emphasis on story.

That's kind of why I like Yakuza so much, it's basically a modern day Technos arcade brawler mixed with that old school SEGA feeling that so many of us on here love so much. The Yakuza series just seems to get better as it goes along too, at the very least on the gameplay front, I personally love Yakuza 2's story the most in the series, but Yakuza 4 man, whew, what a game that was. Freaking masterpiece on PS3.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:47 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: I hope so. I'm not feeling it so far... :X I know I shouldn't compare it to Shenmue but... a lot of people say if you like Shenmue you'd like this game but eh...

It has a fixed camera, the loading times are much worse than Shenmue, like around around every corner... it's annoying. When you fight it's annoying to actually get your character to face the enemies... I read there are a lot of side quests but it seems like most of the NPCs you can't even talk to, so far, I really hate the dub, and the graphics I feel are worse than SI and SII and those are Dreamcast games that came out years before this game... I'm going to continue to play it but for the people that recommended I play it based on my liking of Shenmue, they have no idea wtf they're talking about. :rotflmao:

I'd go so far to say I didn't like the first Yakuza game to be honest. Much for the same reasons you've said.

The worst part of the game for me was the side stories
Instead of actually telling stories, they seemed to mostly be disjointed fetch quests. The few I bothered to complete, I had to consult a guide.

Saying that, stick with it and move straight to Yakuza 2. One of the best sequels ever made.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:00 pm

I was actually going to play Yakuza 2 first since it's supposed to have "catch up videos" but it's MUCH more expensive and I just can't afford it right now.

Away, these came in the mail today. Finally gonna play this series. I played BBS and Chain of Memories on GBA and got about halfway through 358 days on DS. The DS and CoM games left me mad confused.

ShenmueTree has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Cant you just emulate it? If you care about supporting the developpers you can always just buy the hd rerelease.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:49 pm

No. I can't emulate it, my PC is a piece of shit. haha
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:42 am

You could always inport it from the uk. It's only $10 used and $15 new here on ebay
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:37 am

Do UK games work on American PS2s? I have a vanilla ps2 fat. no modchip or anything but if that works, I'll probably do it.

Edit: yep, as I thought PS2 is region locked plus after I've paid shipping it'll probably cost more than in US anyway. :rotflmao:
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:53 am

Shipping shouldnt be more than 10 dollars using royal mail. You could always buy one of those discs that allow region locking or a hacked memory card. Actually the hacked memory card would allow you to play to play burned cds so you could always go that route. It would be a shame if you didnt play yakuza 2, it really is an awesome game.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:29 pm

ShenmueTree wrote:Away, these came in the mail today. Finally gonna play this series. I played BBS and Chain of Memories on GBA and got about halfway through 358 days on DS. The DS and CoM games left me mad confused.

For the story you should play them in this order:

Chain of Memories
358/2 Days
Birth By Sleep
Just watch the last cutscene of Coded
3D

Missing one game will make everything confusing. When KH3 comes out in a few years there will be quite a lot of confused people who jumped from 2 to 3 and missed out of 3 games. They aren't really spin offs like a lot of people call them as they add just as much as the main numbered games.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Its Christmas in Japan and my parents just sent me these! Looks like ill be playing ACU sooner then I expected OL ;) but not right away cause I wanna give it more patch time. FC4 though ill jump into followed by Shadow of Middle Earth.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: OL, Oppy
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Axm » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:16 am

Another get! My game store had it for 2000 yen and then on sale to 1000 yen! Thats like 8 bucks right now.
And apparently all the bugs have been ironed out so we shall see!

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Purchased kotor for only 3.20£ on google play.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Raithos
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming