Small Tidbit Gaming News

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Small Tidbit Gaming News Thread

Postby Sonikku » Fri May 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Axm wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote:Didn't Sony only make a profit from selling buildings?

No they did that on top of the profit they already made.

That doesn't appear to be true, though. According to Gamespot they made over two billion dollars from selling their US and Japan offices, but the company itself was only left with about £279.585 million (or $428.66 million in dollars) in over all profit after everything was said and done. On the plus side, even if they hadn't sold off their buildings for billions their loss still would have been considerably smaller than it was last year. And they're also likely to start turning a corner once the PS4 is released. But for now it would appear they would have been in the red yet again, by at least a billion dollars, if not for the selling off of their various headquarters and assets.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 12, 2013 3:12 am

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/11/sq ... t-exhibit/

Are you in Tokyo? Head to the Vagrant Story Art Exihbit
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Giorgio » Sun May 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Sony Employee Teases 'Amazing Big Title' For Vita
"...you are gonna be hooked for hours."
Shahid Kamal Ahmad is a Senior Business Development Manager for Sony Computer Entertainment’s European division. And on his Twitter account, he recently posted a tantalizing tease of something big coming for PlayStation Vita.

“Oh and there is an AMAZING big title coming to Vita. I can’t tell you anything about it, except that you are gonna be hooked for hours,” one of his Tweets reads. A clarification later notes that gamers will be hooked “for hours a day” and that it’s “not indie.”

You can see both of Ahmad’s Tweets below.

Now, what could he be referring to? It’s hard to say. Ahmad’s LinkedIn account notes that he “signed” a slew of indie games for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, including Thomas Was Alone, Hotline Miami, Velocity Ultra, Lone Survivor and “many dozens more.” He also signed “over 30 titles” for PlayStation Mobile, worked with PlayStation Minis and PlayStation Move, and more since he joined Sony.

Ahmad’s pedigree with Sony is independent development, so his claim of this Vita game not being “indie” is surprising. My first instinct -- and many others’ -- is that he’s talking about Minecraft. After all, “hours a day” of addiction is Minecraft’s specialty. But that’s technically an indie game.

What do you think he’s teasing?
Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/11/s ... e-for-vita

It is Shen... (of course, that was my first thought...)
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun May 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Giorgio wrote: Sony Employee Teases 'Amazing Big Title' For Vita
Shahid Kamal Ahmad is a Senior Business Development Manager for Sony Computer Entertainment’s European division. And on his Twitter account, he recently posted a tantalizing tease of something big coming for PlayStation Vita.

“Oh and there is an AMAZING big title coming to Vita. I can’t tell you anything about it, except that you are gonna be hooked for hours,” one of his Tweets reads. A clarification later notes that gamers will be hooked “for hours a day” and that it’s “not indie.”

Now, what could he be referring to? It’s hard to say. Ahmad’s LinkedIn account notes that he “signed” a slew of indie games for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, including Thomas Was Alone, Hotline Miami, Velocity Ultra, Lone Survivor and “many dozens more.” He also signed “over 30 titles” for PlayStation Mobile, worked with PlayStation Minis and PlayStation Move, and more since he joined Sony.

Ahmad’s pedigree with Sony is independent development, so his claim of this Vita game not being “indie” is surprising. My first instinct -- and many others’ -- is that he’s talking about Minecraft. After all, “hours a day” of addiction is Minecraft’s specialty. But that’s technically an indie game.

He then went on to say it's #1 not indie. and #2, clarified, hours a day. Not just hours.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun May 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Metro: Last Light Hard mode a pre order exclusive :roll: Other wise its $5 if you buy it after. What the fuck is that shit?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/10/if-me ... -ask-koch/

“Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,” he says. “We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive.”

These are the same makers who claim hard mode [known as “Ranger Mode”] is “the way it was meant to be played” on the Metro website.

Bull shit and they just lost my money.

Stop locking shit publishers.
Last edited by Who Really Cares? on Sun May 12, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Giorgio wrote:Sony Employee Teases 'Amazing Big Title' For Vita

Probably some Little Big Planet, resistance, Infamous, GOW, GT or something. Cool for some but doubting it can top Dragons Crown or Ys for me. However they did bring back Sly and rumors of a Jak HD Vita have been around. Or um The Last Guardian moved to Vita .......... :shock:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun May 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Metro: Last Light Hard mode a pre order exclusive :roll: Other wise its $5 if you buy it after. What the fuck is that shit?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/10/if-me ... -ask-koch/

“Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,” he says. “We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive.”

These are the same makers who claim hard mode [known as “Ranger Mode”] is “the way it was meant to be played” on the Metro website.

Bull shit and they just lost my money.

Stop locking shit publishers.

But if its retailers requiring this shouldn't you also avoid buying games at retail?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun May 12, 2013 4:48 pm

They lost my money as well but i don't believe its a requirement to be honest more a we will push the game more if you give us some exclusive deal.

Plenty of games don't do that shit.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun May 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: They lost my money as well but i don't believe its a requirement to be honest more a we will push the game more if you give us some exclusive deal.

I can believe it, I don't really see many games that don't have day one DLC. I mean they could have just made it a gun or something like other games but retailers are getting really desperate, especially here in the US.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun May 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote: They lost my money as well but i don't believe its a requirement to be honest more a we will push the game more if you give us some exclusive deal.

I can believe it, I don't really see many games that don't have day one DLC. I mean they could have just made it a gun or something like other games but retailers are getting really desperate, especially here in the US.

But what about on Steam? Surely Valve wouldn't need them to do it? Would retailers have an effect on the games sale on that service?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 12, 2013 5:02 pm

99% of developers don't understand what DLC is supposed to be for. Nor do they care.
DLC can be great for an expansion pack to a game that it would make sense for or to fix bugs but not use DLC as a lazy tool to throw the game at retail now and fix later or lock on a disc. Not meant to be a replacement for what we should get in the first place on the disc. I am ok with pre order DLC if like Darksiders II was an entire new dungeon. Just new weapons or while playing a game you can see something but can't for the life of you can;t attack it or explore something because you did not get the retailer exclusive DLC.

Also why the fuck charge the same price for a digital copy as the retail release? Fuck you.

Fuck that shit.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun May 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Thats true, but it makes all developers that do it look even worse.

Ryudo wrote:Also why the fuck charge the same price for a digital copy as the retail release? Fuck you.

I think this whole DLC thing is bullshit.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 pm

I could hardly believe how many were so blindly taken in by the false promise of DLC at the onset of this generation. Once those flood gates were opened to patching bug fixes over and over, I knew consoles were going to adopt all of PC gaming's worst habits. The moment the "Ship now, patch later" mentality to game making became viable, polish immediately took a nose dive. At least with the Xbox1 era Microsoft only let you patch if you were adding in some content. If it was just to fix bugs, you couldn't do it. That put the pressure on the suits to not ship before the product was ready. Now, not so much.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon May 13, 2013 3:50 am

Not all DLC is bad in fact many have been great [GTA IV's, Alan Wakes, Most of the Mass Effect DLC's, RDR, Oblivion bar the horse armor and Skyrims to name just a few] But too many exploit it.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon May 13, 2013 3:52 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: Not all DLC is bad in fact many have been great [GTA IV's, Alan Wakes, Most of the Mass Effect DLC's, RDR, Oblivion bar the horse armor and Skyrims to name just a few] But too many exploit it.

Half the stuff you listed was awful so I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or truthful.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming