Table Top Games

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Table Top Games

Postby Thief » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:20 am

Anybody here into table top gaming? I'm not huge into board games but I've got a couple "classics" like Ticket to Ride. Plus, my brother recently got me the Game of Thrones board game for Christmas. It's a lot like Risk and Diplomacy but actually fun.

I used to have a buddy who was super into board games but he always had the super duper complicated games like Twilight Imperium and Arkham Horror -- which can be cool but I'm way too into the story and "role playing" aspect of it and all he cared about was the mechanics and junk. Basically, he's a nerd and I'm a different kind of nerd.

If you play any games, which games do you have and which do you recommend? Modern board games have really taken off lately (over the past 10 years), it's kind of amazing to see what's out there now.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Table Top Games

Postby OL » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:31 am

Funny, I'm writing the narration for a video right now, and the intro is mainly about how I've never been able to get into tabletop games (the RPG variety) but usually find the background worlds behind them to be fucking fascinating. So yeah, in regards to tabletop RPGs (or Warhammer-style strategy games) I've just never been one to play them, but I love the lore built around them.

Apparently we're including board games in this too though, and I have fun with some of those. Cranium is my favorite. Get together about six friends to play it, make sure everyone has a drink in hand, and it's just about the most fun a person can have.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:00 am

Yeah I'd include pretty much anything that can be played on a table (or even not in some cases) -- so miniature games (like War Hammer), family games (like Ticket to Ride), Co-op games (like Pandemic), RPG's (like Dungeons and Dragons), party games (like Apples to Apples), and even collectable card games (like Magic the Gathering).
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:04 am

You know, the only stuff I played in that area were the kids board games growing up and that's it. But i've seen people play Magic the Gathering, D&D, and all those and it seems like alot of fun.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Ri_oh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:01 pm

I do like tabletop games, though I certainly don't play as much as i'd like. It's hard to find a good group to play with. Especially if you're playing an RPG. Far too many DMs start off with "You meet your party in a tavern...".

I really got into the Doom boardgame a number of years ago. Very well built. The Tomb Raider CCG was fun too. I could easily sit and watch a game of Battletech for hours, as I find miniatures fascinating. A lot of the big ones like Catan and Arkham Horror sound great, but it's a matter finding people to play with. I prefer games with a setting as opposed to just party games like Cranium of Apples to Apples (not that those aren't fun).
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to General Gaming